PDA

View Full Version : Broke tube vice on swash

Stripe
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
co-worker of mine has a broken Swash drive. Her tube vice broke today and was wondering if anyone has had this happen? Thinking of attempting to fix it with JB Plastic Weld. Not sure if that will work or not. Looking for any advice or possable fixes besides tossing it in the junk.

fkirons
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Im sure they will fix it for you or send you a new body.
I never understood why a part that is subject to torque would be made out of plastic.

Wonderland
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Well that's a bummer. I hope it gets fixed. Keep us all updated.

nivek
06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
happened to a friend - same place

Sage Oz
06-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I've seen the threading strip on those a few times, first time seeing that. That's a bummer dude...

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

Stripe
06-12-2012, 02:43 AM
She says she fixed the problem by swapping out the frame from one with a dead motor. Not very good luck for one and a half year old machines.
She also said she isn't willing to pay the shipping to send them to Australia, so sending them in for repair isn't an option for her at $50 each way.
My thought, it gives her an opportunity to play with new toys. She is ordering a Vivace tomorrow. I say good for her, time to branch out to other toys...

evlink2006
06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
You don't have to crank down so hard on the vice of the Gen 7. Just snug it up. I think folks are cranking on em like it was an iron frame.

cornish13
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
same happened on the whip that my lad was using only had it a couple of weeks hes got two more that hes been using for a while now never had a problem.
barbers(dts) wont replace or help him in anyway must just be a design fault

Samyo
06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Yes sadly it happens occasionally and no it is not a design fault .. we have thousands of machines out there now and we get a handfull every year that the vice breaks ..

When people us about it we do our best to get it fixed ... sometimes you can get a bubble in the moulding process that causes a weak point .. generally it is not a problem, but if you go all Gorilla on it might break .. there are other people who strip the thread so clearly it can take a lot of stress

Yes I agree shipping to Australia is an expensive pain, that is the problem of living in our little tropical paradise ... I am happy to send motors or bodies to repairs machines ... we offer it both ways ... If you are not confident with fixing it yourself then send it to us and we will fix it ....

Cornish .... send me an e-mail ... [email protected] ... I will organise to get your whip sorted .. I am not sure what Barbers story in on that ... as for anyone else ... talk to us ... we will always do what we can to support our machines genuine customers.

vodu
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Samyo it 's nice to know we have all support from swashdrive about about this kind of stuff...:)

chris-in-cali
06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
i have sent a machine to swashdrive and had the frame swapped.
it took two weeks but from here to the oz land and back plus labor, not bad at all.
It was a little pricey too, but thats just because of shipping, they are not ripping people on parts and labor.

That machine looks like it was dropped while it had a tube in the vice.....
how the fuck did it get all those tiny little nicks and scratches??
I have had mine for a couple years now and it still looks brand new.......

Stripe
06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
That machine looks like it was dropped while it had a tube in the vice.....
how the fuck did it get all those tiny little nicks and scratches??
I have had mine for a couple years now and it still looks brand new.......
I'm not sure how it got the scratchs and nicks. This is a co-workers machine, she is normaly very gental with things and takes care of things very well. I would be suprised if she dropped it or abused it in any way.
Anyway, I was hopping that someone might have some fixing advice. If something like JB plastic weld would worked. Seems like there are enough handy people on here that someone would have a fix or trick.
I know to well how a little porsity can cause big problems. It is one of them things that is unavoidable but hopefully the bubbles form where strength isn't important.
For me I have no problem sending things in for repair but for her it is her main $ maker. She doesn't have a pile of extra machines to pull out and run with. 2 weeks and the shiping would be a hardship for her.
Anyway, she did solve the problem by swaping the fraim with one that the motor had died.