PDA

View Full Version : Spektra Halo feedback thread

Pages : [1] 2

fkirons
06-20-2012, 10:49 PM
First of I wanted to thank to all the forum members that order o ur pre sale batch.
I've read a few feedback posts and thanks you for sharing your thoughts.

We, at Spektra would like to ask you regarding the overall experience especially some topics that were important to us during development.

Here we go
1- Overal look
2- Weight
3- Performance, lining, shading coloring.
4- MotorBolt system with 1/4 turn lock and release.
5- Capability of the machine to be spray directly with desinfectante or autcoclaved.
6- Aithing else you may want to say about the machine.
7- Customer Service and anything we could to better assist you.

Thank
Gaston

artoftatt2
06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
I've ran mine twice through the statim with no problems:)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v5atz1

tattoosbyjamison
06-21-2012, 12:45 AM
The over all look of this machine is spectacular very futuristic, the weight is very good and balanced very well. So far I've only lined and colored with it with ease and as far as i can see does little damage to the skin, this is the only rotary i feel i can tattoo as fast as i would with coils. Haven't tried shading with it I'm anxiously waiting for a Black and Grey piece to do with this. The motor bolt system is brilliant and keeps some of the cost down for multiple machines. The abilty to clean or autoclave the machine is always a plus, i personally bag and spray mine after every use, very easy to clean. Overall the machine is super nice, well made, and very thought out. I used fk irons for a few years when i was using coils and loved them, when i heard Gaston was making a rotary i was super excited and followed the making of this machine as close as possible anticipating the release. As soon as i seen on here he was releasing, and to forum members at a discount, i jumped on it, and the wait was worth it. As far a s customer service goes its second to none, as a matter of fact, first i couldn't get my paypal to work and Gaston's assistant emailed me and gave me the shops number to try and get it worked out, she even offered her cell number in case I couldn't reach her in office which is really cool. Once I got that worked out I noticed it was being sent to my old address which is in another town, so i called again and instead of waiting for them to get it back they just went ahead and sent another one out to the right address, and received it in 3 days! They were so helpful with me and my overall expirience has been great with these guys, I just ordered my second machine today. I think I covered everything lol Thanks again Gaston and everyone at Spektra for all your hard work!!

fkirons
06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
The over all look of this machine is spectacular very futuristic, the weight is very good and balanced very well. So far I've only lined and colored with it with ease and as far as i can see does little damage to the skin, this is the only rotary i feel i can tattoo as fast as i would with coils. Haven't tried shading with it I'm anxiously waiting for a Black and Grey piece to do with this. The motor bolt system is brilliant and keeps some of the cost down for multiple machines. The abilty to clean or autoclave the machine is always a plus, i personally bag and spray mine after every use, very easy to clean. Overall the machine is super nice, well made, and very thought out. I used fk irons for a few years when i was using coils and loved them, when i heard Gatson was making a rotary i was super excited and followed the making of this machine as close as possible anticipating the release. As soon as i seen on here he was releasing, and to forum members at a discount, i jumped on it, and the wait was worth it. As far a s customer service goes its second to none, as a matter of fact, first i couldn't get my paypal to work and Gatson's assistant emailed me and gave me the shops number to try and get it worked out, she even offered her cell number in case I couldn't reach her in office which is really cool. Once I got that worked out I noticed it was being sent to my old address which is in another town, so i called again and instead of waiting for them to get it back they just went ahead and sent another one out to the right address, and received it in 3 days! They were so helpful with me and my overall expirience has been great with these guys, I just ordered my second machine today. I think I covered everything lol Thanks again Gatson and everyone at Spektra for all your hard work!!

Great to hear that bro.:)

Shawn
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Got the Halo today. I love the look,the sound and the feel. Got an appt. at 4 gonna try it out with lining shading and color. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

asA
06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Got the Halo today. I love the look,the sound and the feel. Got an appt. at 4 gonna try it out with lining shading and color. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!! what does the sound compare to?

artoftatt2
06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I river running through the mountains on a cool calm day....
Haha
No really though at 7.5 volts it's quite at 10 volts it's comparable to small buzz.. Very small

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?awltgl

fkirons
06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Hahahah , we try to describe the silence the other day too here at the workshop and my coworker said that sounds like "silence" with "noise cancellation headphones" Loved it.

Out of joke, The silent performance is due to the balance of the slider and the contact points of it. Also where the bearing slot is positioned and the weight of the stainless steel rod that travels across the slider.

The more use the machine gets the better it runs. We recommend lubing the machine after every 50-70 hours of continuous use. I am uploading a video tutorial of "how to" lube the machine.

Shawn
06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah what Art said. Ran it with a 15 mag for a couple hours and it was like they were made for each other.

MrNate
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
What strokes are people buying & what are they doing with them (lining, Shading, all of the above) ?
Thanks

fkirons
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Basically the 3.2 and up is ideal for all around. We have also a longer stroke 4mm. We will have 2.5 for 2.8 more or less for people that prefer shorter stroke down the line.
I personally use the 3.2 it's perfect to me for everything. Plus I like to hang my needle when lining. So the 4mm is too long for me.
When lining release the give a bit, tight it all the way in and release the adjustment know until you get some minimal give, that will give you stronger strike when lining than if you line with the stroke tight all the way.

For coloring I like to release a bit the give as well. For black and grey I recommend it tight almost no give. But again these are just suggestions. I'm sure you guys can come up with new formulas as well :)

elbo
06-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I have to say the spektra is the best "allround" rotary ive ever used and ive used alot!....Lining is so positive and this machine is capable of sweet neat lines and its not scared of big groupings as i use 14's with it no problem....I have no doubt its making my B&G so much easier and colour packing with a 15 mag is so easy its almost unbelievable!...I love this machine and have ordered another.I have no doubt that i will end up with at least 5 of these babies....10 out of 10 in every catagory...Top class machines.

tgseh
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
ive just ordered 2 i cant wait to try it out that dragon you lined with it looked sweet elbo.and good for 15 mags cant wait.. i can feel machine acquisition frenzy closing in ....

fkirons
06-24-2012, 12:47 AM
I have to say the spektra is the best "allround" rotary ive ever used and ive used alot!....Lining is so positive and this machine is capable of sweet neat lines and its not scared of big groupings as i use 14's with it no problem....I have no doubt its making my B&G so much easier and colour packing with a 15 mag is so easy its almost unbelievable!...I love this machine and have ordered another.I have no doubt that i will end up with at least 5 of these babies....10 out of 10 in every catagory...Top class machines.
Thanks bro, glad you like it. What's the biggest round you used, just curious.

fkirons
06-24-2012, 12:48 AM
ive just ordered 2 i cant wait to try it out that dragon you lined with it looked sweet elbo.and good for 15 mags cant wait.. i can feel machine acquisition frenzy closing in ....
yeah that dragon was sweet. Machine helped but skills are always required :)

elbo
06-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks bro, glad you like it. What's the biggest round you used, just curious.

Biggest rounds i used with it are 14 liners ....I have got some 18 liners which i know the spektra will push if needed....What a machine!

lammy2012
06-25-2012, 02:56 AM
picked up the spectra this weekend at Tattoolapalooza.... excuse my french, but this machine is fucking dope!! very well balanced and extremely light weight. the color flows right in and saturates effortlessly. i bought the 4mm, but also bought the 3.2mm stroke bearing. i ended up swapping the bearings out because i felt the 4mm was a bit more than i needed. the 3.2 was perfect. only got to use it once so far, but was extremely pleased. can't wait to use it a bit more and try it on some linework.

fkirons
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
picked up the spectra this weekend at Tattoolapalooza.... excuse my french, but this machine is fucking dope!! very well balanced and extremely light weight. the color flows right in and saturates effortlessly. i bought the 4mm, but also bought the 3.2mm stroke bearing. i ended up swapping the bearings out because i felt the 4mm was a bit more than i needed. the 3.2 was perfect. only got to use it once so far, but was extremely pleased. can't wait to use it a bit more and try it on some linework.

Lammy, great to meet you there and thank you for the feedback. You are not only a cool dude but also an amazing artist.
Keep up the great work and should you have any questions please let me know.

Gaston

peter clements
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
i bought the 4mm, but also bought the 3.2mm stroke bearing. i ended up swapping the bearings out because i felt the 4mm was a bit more than i needed. the 3.2 was perfect.

So you can buy separate bearings if you wish to try out different strokes? How much are the extra bearings? This machine is my next purchase, I know Gaston has literaly obsessed over every detail of this machine.

Tat2dPinoy
06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow Gaston, you've really hit the nail on the head on this one! I finally got to use my 3.2mm with a lot of give on color blending today and it's by far my favorite of them all (and I've tried literally every rotary out there!). There is nothing but positive things to say about this, size, weight, very quiet and pleasant, even with max give. Autoclavable and the motorbolt system is genius. I can't wait to line with it and I will definitely buy at least 2-3 more bodies and different stroke lengths in the future. Everything I've wanted in a tattoo machine period is in the Spektra! Bad news, I've got a top drawer full of other machines I'll probably never touch again ;)

mike h
06-25-2012, 05:13 PM
got my spektra today -gaston got this to the uk very quickly but customs and uk parcel force have been very slow getting it to me.
i cant thnk of anything to say about this machine apart from i will be ordering more ,the holy grail has been found at last!

tattoosbyjamison
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Gaston is very helpful spoke with him today on the phone the customer service is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fkirons
06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Wow Gaston, you've really hit the nail on the head on this one! I finally got to use my 3.2mm with a lot of give on color blending today and it's by far my favorite of them all (and I've tried literally every rotary out there!). There is nothing but positive things to say about this, size, weight, very quiet and pleasant, even with max give. Autoclavable and the motorbolt system is genius. I can't wait to line with it and I will definitely buy at least 2-3 more bodies and different stroke lengths in the future. Everything I've wanted in a tattoo machine period is in the Spektra! Bad news, I've got a top drawer full of other machines I'll probably never touch again ;)

I must admit that I couldn't be any happier with the feedback I'm hearing. I am almost in tears, no kidding. This machine cost me an arm an a leg and lots of hard work. It's really refreshing to see great folks like you rating my work for the past two years.

It wasn't easy for me to decide to re design the machine once the machine "seemed to be ready" that took me another year and although some people were anxious to get the Spektra the re design and new features we brought in were really worth it.

Thank you for all the members that bough the machines, we are sold out now but we are taking pre orders for the machines that will be arriving in two weeks.
I want to clarify that the fact that the machines are arriving next week that doesn't mean they are ready to ship as we have to put them together, balance motors, break them in etc. So be willing to wait a little bit more. We also have to build for all our official distributors that have ordered, some of them by over 100.

I knew the Spektra was going to excite a lot of people but these feedback is already surpassing my expectation.

Thank you and remember if you have any request I am a phone call or email away.
I rather have the chance to address possible issues in private before they hit the web :)

This machines, just like all our FK Irons are guaranteed.
The colors are:

Yellow/ Black
Ruby/ Black
Kryptonite/ Black
Deep Blue/ Black
Heaven/Black
BubbleGum/ Black

For pre order of color Machines contact Kayleigh at [email protected]. The machine are going for $549 for a while (original price was $589)

Thank you!!

Gaston Siciliano - FK Irons - Spektra Rotary

fkirons
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Gaston is very helpful spoke with him today on the phone the customer service is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your parts are packed and leaving in the AM. Than you man.

thesmokingmirror
06-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I tried it yesterday for the first time and had a little trouble with getting it to run right and didn't want to take too long on the tattoo so I switched out. Today I had another tattoo it was more relaxed so I got it out and figured it out :) I don't know exactly what the recommended setup is but at first I was using needlerunners bending the needle a bit and had the tip sticking out to far, I went from 8-11 v's and it wasnt really doing its magic. Today I ran it with no needlerunners, didn't bend the needle and the Spektra really came to life, I ran at 8.6 with a little bit of give and it handled everything like a champ. I used 3rl and 7m, doesnt sound like anyone else was having issues but that's the hiccup I had at first, loving it now! Gonna get me another soon as I can! :cool:

Tat2dPinoy
06-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Also the give system is perfect. You can really feel the more force on the downstroke, something most rotaries cannot reproduce, a very coil-like feel. One question, can we pre-order just the machine bodies, and what is forum price plus shipping please?

artoftatt2
06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/180efcc8-1449-d2b1.jpg
I frigging love these things!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0r1ba0

artoftatt2
06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/180efcc8-153d-9365.jpg

Let's try this one

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xwcvpl

artoftatt2
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Hope this link works...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jynam0

fkirons
06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
I tried it yesterday for the first time and had a little trouble with getting it to run right and didn't want to take too long on the tattoo so I switched out. Today I had another tattoo it was more relaxed so I got it out and figured it out :) I don't know exactly what the recommended setup is but at first I was using needlerunners bending the needle a bit and had the tip sticking out to far, I went from 8-11 v's and it wasnt really doing its magic. Today I ran it with no needlerunners, didn't bend the needle and the Spektra really came to life, I ran at 8.6 with a little bit of give and it handled everything like a champ. I used 3rl and 7m, doesnt sound like anyone else was having issues but that's the hiccup I had at first, loving it now! Gonna get me another soon as I can! :cool:

Use a double rubber band or the 1.5mm diameter rubber band. Machine was designed for that :)

Little thing I've been doing.
I personally started using the needle bent up high enough where I get some tension from the tube itself (meaning the needle rubs inside the tube). No rubber bands, tensioner or anything.
Just bend the needle until you find your sweet spot. Bend it more towards the needle stack rather than the middle of the bar (about at 1/4 of the bar without counting the needle stack. To me it works like magic. I use Wrath and Eikon tube and it works perfect. Put a little bit of ointment in the highest point of the bar. It may take a few tries until it comes right. No issues ...yet.

I will post this in another thread as well.

fkirons
06-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Also the give system is perfect. You can really feel the more force on the downstroke, something most rotaries cannot reproduce, a very coil-like feel. One question, can we pre-order just the machine bodies, and what is forum price plus shipping please?

Yeah Machine bodies can be preorder. Email Kayleigh at [email protected] $429 a pop I believe.

thesmokingmirror
06-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Sage Oz
06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Use a double rubber band or the 1.5mm diameter rubber band. Machine was designed for that :)

Little thing I've been doing.
I personally started using the needle bent up high enough where I get some tension from the tube itself (meaning the needle rubs inside the tube). No rubber bands, tensioner or anything.
Just bend the needle until you find your sweet spot. Bend it more towards the needle stack rather than the needle of the bar (about at 1/4 of the bar without counting the needle stack. To me it works like magic. I use Wrath and Eikon tube and it works perfect. Put a little bit of ointment in the highest point of the bar. It may tai a few tries until it comes right. No issues ...yet.

I will post this in another thread as well.

That's sooo smart!! I wouldnt want to do it with stainless(long term wear spots and contaminating the ink with metal particles) but for disposables that's a brilliant idea!!!

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

fkirons
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I meant "Just bend the needle until you find your sweet spot. Bend it more towards the needle stack rather than the MIDDLE of the bar"

asA
06-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I haven't been bending the needles at all.. I put half a nipple as a spacer(anyone who used n2s knows what I mean) under my needle on the armature pin and use the little rubberbands. Using wrath tubes and envy needles.

peter clements
06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I meant "Just bend the needle until you find your sweet spot. Bend it more towards the needle stack rather than the MIDDLE of the bar"

Absolutely correct, and that's the best way to use needlerunners.

gangstajay
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
glad to see the machine is doing well..congrats

thebeyond66
06-29-2012, 03:00 AM
I hope this hasn't been asked yet, has anyone used T-tech or hawk grip with the Spektra? If so how do they run?

fkirons
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I saw Timothy Boor using both with his Spektra Halo. I also have a little video that I will post soon of him tattooing.
Like with any rotary with give, if you use Hawk needles you will have to close the give to "none" since the spring of the Hawk needle has too much tension, therefore overpowering the resistance spring.

I've heard that the T-Techs work better.
In the end if you close the give you will be good with both.

But quoted from Tim's words after tattooing the whole weekend at Tattoo La Palooza with Spektra: "I can't wait to go back to my regular needles and tubes"

thebeyond66
06-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I saw Timothy Boor using both with his Spektra Halo. I also have a little video that I will post soon of him tattooing.
Like with any rotary with give, if you use Hawk needles you will have to close the give to "none" since the spring of the Hawk needle has too much tension, therefore overpowering the resistance spring.

I've heard that the T-Techs work better.
In the end if you close the give you will be good with both.

But quoted from Tim's words after tattooing the whole weekend at Tattoo La Palooza with Spektra: "I can't wait to go back to my regular needles and tubes"

Thanks Gaston! Good to know! I'll be pre-ordering a Spektra very, very soon!

fkirons
06-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Gaston! Good to know! I'll be pre-ordering a Spektra very, very soon!
You got it man. make sure to use the form posted here.

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 03:09 AM
The halo is my go to liner now. Freaking lovin this thing. Now I want a second body, krypto with a 3.2 cam ;)

peter clements
07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
The halo is my go to liner now. Freaking lovin this thing. Now I want a second body, krypto with a 3.2 cam ;)

Have you designed a needletensioner for it Sage? I'll be wanting one ,I've ordered green too, with a 3.6 stroke.

elbo
07-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Have you designed a needletensioner for it Sage? I'll be wanting one ,I've ordered green too, with a 3.6 stroke.

All that needle tensioner mullarky aint needed Peter....needle alignment and tension works perfect on the spektra...them ugly tensioners are alright on dragonflys and stigmas (but not needed) But the spektra has sleek lines that dont need clutter adding too! ha ha....Perfect rubber bands can be bought from hairstyling stockist as they are used for dreadlocks etc....Perfect uncluttered bands that do the job...I dont miss needle tensioners...But each to their own!

fkirons
07-01-2012, 09:30 AM
All that needle tensioner mullarky aint needed Peter....needle alignment and tension works perfect on the spektra...them ugly tensioners are alright on dragonflys and stigmas (but not needed) But the spektra has sleek lines that dont need clutter adding too! ha ha....Perfect rubber bands can be bought from hairstyling stockist as they are used for dreadlocks etc....Perfect uncluttered bands that do the job...I dont miss needle tensioners...But each to their own!
That was why I decided not to do a tensioner, they are nice and novelty but I like the clean line of the machine.
Any rubber band works. Just double them if you can't find the small ones. We will have the rubber ands on the site for sale. Use it and dispose it. Although those tensioners that Sage makes are cool looking. Would love to see what he can come up with :)

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 02:15 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4c163aaa-9069-9ebd.jpg
I'm not at the shop to take a close up pic but here's my collection pic and there it is in the upper left corner. I've used it with it all week and it's precise. I like Tensioners because the rollers have less effect on the vertical motion of the needle and they help keep the bag from touching the works. This tensioner is a bit tall because I stole it off my rotangi but it works fine for it for now til I finish making the new batch...

fkirons
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4c163aaa-9069-9ebd.jpg
I'm not at the shop to take a close up pic but here's my collection pic and there it is in the upper left corner. I've used it with it all week and it's precise. I like Tensioners because the rollers have less effect on the vertical motion of the needle and they help keep the bag from touching the works. This tensioner is a bit tall because I stole it off my rotangi but it works fine for it for now til I finish making the new batch...

Way dope man! The proto we had had a similar one but smaller.

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Surprised you guys don't have removable cnc tensioners as an option...

asA
07-01-2012, 03:53 PM
The small rubber bands work soo well though. No real need.

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I didn't even try the bands lol immediately put on a tensioner soon as I got it. I'll try them next time :)

fkirons
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
The small rubber bands work soo well though. No real need.

We tested several tensioner options. We saw the best performance with rubber bands. The machine was tested by several artists and the go was "no tensioner"
Everyone liked the performance and look of the machine when a tensioner wasn't present.

Even though the machine can be autoclaved and sterilized a lot of people will not do that and that tensioner knob will be touch every time the machine is broken down after each tattoo. We may release a removable tensioner if the demand increases but so far everyone loves the little rubber bands.

I dig your tensioner Sage and would love to try it.

thesmokingmirror
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey sage how come you dont have tensioner on centri?

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Hey sage how come you dont have tensioner on centri?

Haven't figured a good way to put one on it without it looking hack. I was going to make one but since Mike is making ones soon for it I'm just waiting for those...

Sage Oz
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
We tested several tensioner options. We saw the best performance with rubber bands. The machine was tested by several artists and the go was "no tensioner"
Everyone liked the performance and look of the machine when a tensioner wasn't present.

Even though the machine can be autoclaved and sterilized a lot of people will not do that and that tensioner knob will be touch every time the machine is broken down after each tattoo. We may release a removable tensioner if the demand increases but so far everyone loves the little rubber bands.

I dig your tensioner Sage and would love to try it.

Understandable, weird how some machines are better with or without. I've been real happy with it on mine, but I'll try the bands too and see if I can tell any difference. As far as sterilizing I wipe mine down with the machine pretty thoroughly with madicide and oil them monthly to keep em from rusting. pm me your address and I'll send you one to try out:)

johndameart
07-04-2012, 01:15 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/johndameart/e5C9TjW6dVSIVYG5.jpg

Mother Mary

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/johndameart/26gK6wjCjrF7cneb.jpg

Tom Gabel aka Laura Jane Grace from Against Me!

Did these yesterday and today with the Spektra. Def in love with this machine.

fkirons
07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Understandable, weird how some machines are better with or without. I've been real happy with it on mine, but I'll try the bands too and see if I can tell any difference. As far as sterilizing I wipe mine down with the machine pretty thoroughly with madicide and oil them monthly to keep em from rusting. pm me your address and I'll send you one to try out:)

Let me know how you like them with rubber bands man.

fkirons
07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/johndameart/e5C9TjW6dVSIVYG5.jpg

Mother Mary

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/johndameart/26gK6wjCjrF7cneb.jpg

Tom Gabel aka Laura Jane Grace from Against Me!

Did these yesterday and today with the Spektra. Def in love with this machine.
Your art is getting better and better man. Good job keep on pushing it.

Sage Oz
07-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Lined a nice big tribal with an 8round and the rubber band the other day and it worked excellent, I didnt notice any difference other than possibly requiring a bit more voltage. Ive been loving the Halo, there isn't very much I'd ever want changed on this machine

fkirons
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Lined a nice big tribal with an 8round and the rubber band the other day and it worked excellent, I didnt notice any difference other than possibly requiring a bit more voltage. Ive been loving the Halo, there isn't very much I'd ever want changed on this machine

That's great man, keep me posted!

asA
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
11747 did this with my spektra 2.8mm and Cheyenne cartridges. Really swollen and wonky this is tiny and in the ditch of her arm.

hellraiser6662
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Ive taken the hawk needles apart loads of times and I bought a grip to see if my rotarys work with them. I found you have to give it a little start under 10v on my g7, but if you take it apart and use a scalpul to take some of the rubber out in small strips it than has less tension and you dont have to ping the bar to get it going. I'll post a pic so you can see.
I saw Timothy Boor using both with his Spektra Halo. I also have a little video that I will post soon of him tattooing.Like with any rotary with give, if you use Hawk needles you will have to close the give to "none" since the spring of the Hawk needle has too much tension, therefore overpowering the resistance spring.I've heard that the T-Techs work better.In the end if you close the give you will be good with both.But quoted from Tim's words after tattooing the whole weekend at Tattoo La Palooza with Spektra: "I can't wait to go back to my regular needles and tubes"

fkirons
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
11747 did this with my spektra 2.8mm and Cheyenne cartridges. Really swollen and wonky this is tiny and in the ditch of her arm.
That is dope. A buddy of mine says he likes the performance of the cartdrige system better on the Spektra than his Hawk. I just purchase a tube and I'm still waiting to receive it to test out and see what the hype is about.

elbo
07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
well ive just ordered my 3rd Spektra because i love these machines...One thing i found with my dragonflys and stigmas was that the give adjustment wasnt really worth bothering with!...but with the spektra im using the give and it works so well, dont ask me why? but it works amazing!

thesmokingmirror
07-07-2012, 04:56 AM
1- Overal look - I would say this rotary defines the next gen of upcoming machines or at least it should :-)
2- Weight - lightest machine I have but well balanced
3- Performance, lining, shading coloring. - I have used it for most functions Ive been pretty happy with it so far but im pretty sure i havent found my sweet spot for it yet, i use the cx-2 power supply tatsoul and rose city steel needles, i can line or shade with no issues but im not as comfortable with this machine yet as say my mini crankers. The learning curve for it is pretty wide i gather seeing as its a machine with adjustable give, it did take me a bit to get used to my Nedz mr01s but once I got those down you have incredible range. Maybe people can post there voltages, and what supplys they use? :-)
4- MotorBolt system with 1/4 turn lock and release. - Pretty fancy and innovative, i like having the main parts seperated it makes more sense to me have seperate components its easier to maintain and get familiar with the machine this way
5- Capability of the machine to be spray directly with desinfectante or autcoclaved. - This is a deffinate plus, i did just move to an all disposable shop but its nice to have a machine body that is buildt tough
6- Aithing else you may want to say about the machine. - I want moar!
7- Customer Service and anything we could to better assist you. - Top notch experience for me, the forum discount was awesome, maybe they can have forum specials every now and then ;-) wink wink

Thank
Gaston[/QUOTE]

clint morrison
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it does have a bit of a learning curve. I found that it works best for me completely tightened down.....at least for packing and shading. I lined with a touch of give though.

johndameart
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
same here. took me a few minutes to figure out but its like with anything else, gotta find your sweet spot

fkirons
07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
well ive just ordered my 3rd Spektra because i love these machines...One thing i found with my dragonflys and stigmas was that the give adjustment wasnt really worth bothering with!...but with the spektra im using the give and it works so well, dont ask me why? but it works amazing!
Man you are going to need to go to Spektra rehab! Hahahaha The give of spektra is not a piston like other machines instead it slides back and for in a polish stainless steel rail, giving the motion a more accurate feel. Enjoy your 3 Spektras.

1- Overal look - I would say this rotary defines the next gen of upcoming machines or at least it should :-)
2- Weight - lightest machine I have but well balanced
3- Performance, lining, shading coloring. - I have used it for most functions Ive been pretty happy with it so far but im pretty sure i havent found my sweet spot for it yet, i use the cx-2 power supply tatsoul and rose city steel needles, i can line or shade with no issues but im not as comfortable with this machine yet as say my mini crankers. The learning curve for it is pretty wide i gather seeing as its a machine with adjustable give, it did take me a bit to get used to my Nedz mr01s but once I got those down you have incredible range. Maybe people can post there voltages, and what supplys they use? :-)
4- MotorBolt system with 1/4 turn lock and release. - Pretty fancy and innovative, i like having the main parts seperated it makes more sense to me have seperate components its easier to maintain and get familiar with the machine this way
5- Capability of the machine to be spray directly with desinfectante or autcoclaved. - This is a deffinate plus, i did just move to an all disposable shop but its nice to have a machine body that is buildt tough
6- Aithing else you may want to say about the machine. - I want moar!
7- Customer Service and anything we could to better assist you. - Top notch experience for me, the forum discount was awesome, maybe they can have forum specials every now and then ;-) wink wink

Thank
Gaston[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for your feedback man!. I'm glad our two years of development are paying off in hands of artists like you.
Regarding lining, I've realized that the 3.6 and 4.0mm are the best at it. It works better for me when the machine has just a bit of give, that's when you get more force in your down motion. The Spektra strikes harder when it comes out than when it retracts, this is what took us the longest to achieve. So unlike most rotaries that will liner better with no give, I recommend adding a bit of give. Regarding voltage you can go anywhere from 7.5 to 11 volts. Anything higher than that seem like too much for me. I usually line around 8 volts with a tight 7L, 9 Volts with a 7L regular and around 10-10.5volts with anything larger. I've never used anything bigger than a 9 liner. I've heard someone in here outlined a big piece with ease with a 13-14 round at 11 volts. That is great news

I think it does have a bit of a learning curve. I found that it works best for me completely tightened down.....at least for packing and shading. I lined with a touch of give though.
Especially if you are used to heavier machines, it takes practice to find your sweet spot with the Spektra. Once you find your sweet spot the sky is the limit.

Thank you for all the people that help me throughout the development (especially my co-workers that had to deal with all the stress of making this happen), to all those that waited and waited. Thank you for the unstoppable support. I honestly felt like quitting a few times, this has been one of the hardest machine project ever for me. We've learned a lot with FK Irons and the Halo, our next machines can just keep getting better.

Gaston

tattoosbyjamison
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
it only took me about 15 minutes to get the feel for this machine and i have never used a power supply with digital readouts (Eikon Es 200) had this thing for ages hasent let me down yet, just do it by feel and sound like i've always done.

Sage Oz
07-08-2012, 08:30 AM
About the only thing I can gripe about so far is that I can't grip the vise thumbnut through a barrier bag, and that the bag can easily contact the piston adjuster knob. So Gaston you only score a 99% with this one lol. Seriously though, these are such awesome machines I want more!

fkirons
07-08-2012, 09:54 AM
About the only thing I can gripe about so far is that I can't grip the vise thumbnut through a barrier bag, and that the bag can easily contact the piston adjuster knob. So Gaston you only score a 99% with this one lol. Seriously though, these are such awesome machines I want more!

Damn... :p hahah. Don't need to bag it, you can desinfect it after every tattoo ;)

Sage Oz
07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Bags are mandatory at this shop, I'd do it anyways to protect myself from bio spray coming up the tube.

fkirons
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Bags are mandatory at this shop, I'd do it anyways to protect myself from bio spray coming up the tube.

That's good to hear!

rjiggy
07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Sage Oz has mentioned my only two 'gripes' also. But that is to strong a word. I found a way to tape the barrier bag so it does not rub during usage --much. Maybe a tug / adjustment here or there while working. No more than a coil machine really... Maybe a knurled / textured edge bolt to fix the other? Bags are code in this county.

I am a first time rotary user with the Halo and I am blown away! This thing is going to transform my work.

gangstajay
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
well I went to see Lammy on thursday and got to play around with this machine.. very well built.. very compact.. holding it next to the dragon fly it is a smidge smaller.the pics that are posted do this machine no justice

fkirons
07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Sage Oz has mentioned my only two 'gripes' also. But that is to strong a word. I found a way to tape the barrier bag so it does not rub during usage --much. Maybe a tug / adjustment here or there while working. No more than a coil machine really... Maybe a knurled / textured edge bolt to fix the other? Bags are code in this county.

I am a first time rotary user with the Halo and I am blown away! This thing is going to transform my work.

Great to hear your feedback. I have to say that for tho-se who want to bag, remember bagging is code because most machines cannot be autoclave and this one does. just like you don't bag your SS tubes, your sterilize them, the halo can be autoclave in a pouch after every tattoo.

I am going to post a video of how to bag the machine and motorbolt in our youtube channel soon.

Keep you gusted

well I went to see Lammy on thursday and got to play around with this machine.. very well built.. very compact.. holding it next to the dragon fly it is a smidge smaller.the pics that are posted do this machine no justice
Thank you Gangsta. We actually had a smaller earlier version but we didn't want to sacrifice features.
New colors are arriving next week to all those who have pre ordered!

Pain Inc
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I missed out on the pre-order which is unfortunate. Looks like people are having great success with the machine. Just curious when Eikon may be getting these? Want to get my hands on it, also want to support the local supplier.

chrishess
07-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm workin extra this week so I can hopefully preorder one soon! Well tryin to decide to get just one or get 2... If I don't make it in time for the August shipment, will there be more soon?

fkirons
07-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Update: we start shipping the early preorders in August. So the people that order early will get their machine around first week of August. However we have a bunch of pre orders pending, so the sooner you order the sooner you will get one. We cut 2000 machine, so there it will be plenty for at least a year. But again each machine remains build one at a time.

Red and black will be ready to ship on two weeks or less. The other colors 2 weeks after that.

fkirons
07-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I missed out on the pre-order which is unfortunate. Looks like people are having great success with the machine. Just curious when Eikon may be getting these? Want to get my hands on it, also want to support the local supplier.
Yes Eikon will carry them soon as well

PAWNJOB
07-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Hey Gaston, Is there a recommended limit for voltage for the Halo? I just got mine today and lined w/ it for a short while using the 4mm stroke at around 9v and it felt like it was really crankin'! I probably wouldn't run it much faster anyway but I'm curious.

As anxious as I am to post a review I want to spend a little more time w/ it first, I only used for about 20 min. But so far I'm really impressed w/ the give system.

fkirons
07-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Hey Gaston, Is there a recommended limit for voltage for the Halo? I just got mine today and lined w/ it for a short while using the 4mm stroke at around 9v and it felt like it was really crankin'! I probably wouldn't run it much faster anyway but I'm curious.

As anxious as I am to post a review I want to spend a little more time w/ it first, I only used for about 20 min. But so far I'm really impressed w/ the give system.
It al depends of your lining style. I line at about 10 - 10.5 Volts. Feel free to give the machine what it needs. Close the give all the way and open it a hint, that's the secret of a good lining with it.
I use 3.2mm for everything so with the 4mm you probably can try even higher. (11 volts)
I color ad shade around 8-9 volts.
Experiment with voltage to find your sweet spot.
Hope you enjoy the machine.

Dreviltattoo
07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Gaston, it looks like you knocked it out of the park. Congrats!

tgseh
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
spektra halo had it a couple of weeks now i am liking it very much its smooth and the give is very good early days yet but i think all the hard work and hours of r and d..
have payed off,it will be hard to beat well done to every one involved in this machine. its very awsome ,now i have got to tell more lies to my wife so i can get a couple more
and how bout that for a nice touch it is engraved on the front .well done..

Tat2dPinoy
07-26-2012, 07:15 PM
it's killing me to only have one right now! When they ship the other 2 I have on order, I know I'll be Spektra only from here on out. Nothing I can say bad about them, job well done Gaston

fkirons
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
it's killing me to only have one right now! When they ship the other 2 I have on order, I know I'll be Spektra only from here on out. Nothing I can say bad about them, job well done Gaston
Thank you guys!

serial1313
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
If you don't have a Spektra halo yet, you better just go ahead, do yourself a favor & get two. You will want one set up as a liner & one as a color or B&G machine. Also, if you can, just take the plunge & order multiple machines @ a time. They have some really good deals on the fkirons website if you sit down & do the math. THESE MACHINES ARE LIKE TATTOOS, ONCE YOU GET ONE, YOU WILL GET ANOTHER ONE & ANOTHER ONE.

Richard Peel
08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
So after all the BS with customs, I now have my Spektra and wouldn't you know it a day or rubbish tattoos but nothing was stopping me from using it so it got used on everything that was booked in then i also convinced someone with a back-piece i'd started to come in for 2 hours to give it a proper run ha ha
1- Overal look - Tiny and super sleek. such a tidy design
2- Weight - Super light but the balance with metal and plastic tubes/grips is spot on
3- Performance - Colouring - First was a small colour flower on a foot and it just threw the colour in without any effort, i've never picked a machine and it work so well without any adjustments, power pack was set at 9v as a starting point and it never changed, give was wound out a little but not much, i will be staying with these settings from now on for 9mags, may be a little more juice for bigger groupings
Grey Shade- took me a little longer to find my rhythm with grey shading but i usually use a whip which is a real different machine, but within half an hour the grey shades were flying in with ease. Not sure if it will replace my whip but the Inkjecta is definitely now my number 2 colour machine.
4- MotorBolt system with 1/4 turn lock and release.- Toyed with this on arrival and such a clever system however I probably wont be using this as I only have one
5- Capability of the machine to be spray directly with desinfectante or autcoclaved. - I bag my machines but the added benefit of this feature is definitely a plus and will be getting used
6- Aithing else you may want to say about the machine. - I don't know anyone who couldn't love this machine, i cant wait for my next big colour piece to see how it fairs a long sitting
7- Customer Service and anything we could to better assist you. - Customer service was excellent, due to time difference i was usually replied to within 24 hours which you cant fault and delivery was as said 1st week of August.
Keep up the good work

fkirons
08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Richard I'm glad you are happy with the product. I thank you and all the people that bared with me throughout the development and testing period until the machine came out.
Feel free to contact me or Kaykeigh with any questions.

elbo
08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Well i got my 2.5mm Spektra yesterday and im using it today!...Now ive been happy as a pig in shit with my 3.2mm and 4mm throw spektras and i dont normally travel down the 2.5 mm road....But im loving it...great on the shading and its packing in colour solid and quick....cant wait to try some lining with it...Man these babies are unbeatable!!!!....LONG LIVE THE SPEKTRA!!!

nivek
08-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Thats it - I'm getting one. I can't wait.

asA
08-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Thats it - I'm getting one. I can't wait.dude get the 2 body 1 motor bolt combo.... you will want another if you only get one!

nivek
08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
dude get the 2 body 1 motor bolt combo.... you will want another if you only get one!

Just can't afford it right now. If these are a good as I expect I will save up and get at least one more body, possibly two and one more motor.

thesmokingmirror
08-17-2012, 11:08 PM
you can also buy another stroke wheel in the meantime to find the best length for you

shoutingbombs
08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
that's exactly what i did....I ordered a Spektra 3 days ago and I picked up another stroke wheel so I could find what works for me. I'm already stashing cash for another Spektra and figured in the meantime I could just swap out the stroke wheels and compare the dif. strokes...get rid of the guess work and order the motorbolt I want.

asA
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Just can't afford it right now. If these are a good as I expect I will save up and get at least one more body, possibly two and one more motor.sell a kidney.... its worth getting more than 1. I bought 1 then bought another a few days later.....haha then a week later I pre ordered a combo.... I didn't need 2 kidneys anyway.

Sage Oz
08-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah it's definitely worth doing a multiple buy with these babies you won't regret it!

serial1313
08-18-2012, 01:29 AM
I finally got to use my 2.5 spektra today. I have NEVER used a machine that puts b&g in this easy! I will not ever be w/out a Spektra again. I also did a small color piece w/ my 3.6 Spektra yesterday w/ little effort. WOW!

fkirons
08-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I finally got to use my 2.5 spektra today. I have NEVER used a machine that puts b&g in this easy! I will not ever be w/out a Spektra again. I also did a small color piece w/ my 3.6 Spektra yesterday w/ little effort. WOW!

I might have to try the 2.5 I've been stuck to the 3.2 personally :p Today Juan Salgado did a piece during his guest spot at our shop with it and the piece came out so smooth. Here it is. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3145089364698&set=a.2367725771094.85182.1788954010&type=1&theater

Inkslingers
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Just took notice to view count on this thread...26,000 & some change? wow...

serial1313
08-19-2012, 12:59 PM
You should, I streched the skin just normal stretch & it was really like using a marker.

I might have to try the 2.5 I've been stuck to the 3.2 personally :p Today Juan Salgado did a piece during his guest spot at our shop with it and the piece came out so smooth. Here it is. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3145089364698&set=a.2367725771094.85182.1788954010&type=1&theater

serial1313
08-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I was using the Old No.13 B&G set. By the way.

You should, I streched the skin just normal stretch & it was really like using a marker.

chris-in-cali
08-19-2012, 10:24 PM
my only complaint is that when i get it up to around 10 volts for lining...there is noticeable vibration....was wondering if it's just the tubes i'm using.
I am using tatsoul wrath tubes.

fkirons
08-20-2012, 01:44 AM
my only complaint is that when i get it up to around 10 volts for lining...there is noticeable vibration....was wondering if it's just the tubes i'm using.
Use extra rubber bands! What stoke do you have?. at 10 V you get very high RPMs. Remember the machine is really light and the centrifugal force kicks in at that range. You may not need all that voltage. I use 3.2 for lining at 8.5, 9V again i never use anything bigger than a 9 tight. I've heard people in here using 13RL with ease. If you are using some large grouping try to stick to thick wrath or slam some stainless steels to compensate. I tried the new Morphix grip covers and really like them. That may help you too. Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.
Gaston

elbo
08-20-2012, 02:25 AM

Try a grip like this...32mm stainless....I line at 10.3 volts using 14 liners for jap work....Ok the grip is heavier than the machine but vibration isnt a problem as it soaks up the vibrations....And i find it steadies the hand...a 28 or 30 diameter will no doubt work too...

I would never use a lightweight disposable tube/grip for lining....although i love em for shading...

Sage Oz
08-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Ditto here. I use filip leu titanium grips for lining, and I wrap them with two folded paper towels to make a comfy disposable grip cover.

chris-in-cali
08-20-2012, 03:53 AM
cool...thanks for the replies. the more and more i use the machines the more and more i have come to love them.
was playing with the different stroke wheels and gives to try and find my sweet spots.

I settled in at 3.2 stroke with no give at around 9.5 volts....very little vibration but gonna slap another band on or bump up the width on my tube.
the 3.6 with a hint of give at 7-8 volts is fucking smooth as butter.
i have never seen my work heal so fast, clean and vibrant.......fucking awesome!!!

PAWNJOB
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Kinda glad you said it first Chris. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine! I started writing a thorough review that I haven't posted yet but I've been afraid that I might get crucified on this thread if I said it really vibrates too much, at least both the 3.6 and especially the 4mm stroke at higher voltage. In fact it's been such an issue for me that I've been pretty shocked that after a 100 posts that not one other person had made mention of it. I can't help but think it might have something to do w/ the fact that Gaston is such an awesome and active presence in our community. I've noticed quick responses and valuable information posted by this guy for years. He seams like a great guy who's passionate about what he does and he obviously cares about our craft. It seams as if people don't want to say anything negative about his machines at all, perhaps out of respect. I don't wish to offend and this is not directed toward anyone or any of these reviews specifically, I could definitely see how someone might have nothing but good things to say about these machines! But in order for these reviews to be worth while and more credible, we should try to remain objective and voice our opinions on all aspects of these machines both good AND bad. I don't want to put words in Gaston's mouth but I'm sure he too would appreciate our candor. I'm sure he learns from both our compliments and criticisms when working on builds, I'd think that's the whole point of this.

Anyway, I've grown attached to a 4mm stroke length for most of my lining but I just couldn't get on w/ the 4mm stroke Halo as a liner ONLY because starting at a little over 9 volts it starts vibrating so much that the needle jumps forward off the back of the tube no matter how you set up w/ a disposable. I spent a lot of time w/ different setups trying to counter act this, and yes adding another rubber band does help some w/ the vibration and needle ride, I tried it too. But it bogs the motor down a bit which I didn't like. (Friendly suggestion for Gaston: you might possibly offer higher tension bands along side your existing bands, I found that using just 1 didn't provide enough tension sometimes for the long stoke @ high volts but using 2 was just too much.) It's a shame because the intended main purpose for my first Halo was a long stroke liner. I ordered a 3.6mm stroke wheel as a second choice and find I can crank it up slightly higher w/o as much vibration but it's still problematic as a liner. A few days ago, after 2-3 weeks of using the Halo I almost gave up on it as a liner. I said "one last try" and loaded it up w/ the 3.6mm wheel again. As a partial and temporary solution I switched from a 7 diamond to a 5 round tube for running a 7 liner so that the needle didn't jump around, and an extra tight Kung Fu grip to keep the tube from vibrating around. I finally managed to run it at 10 volts w/ a usable stroke and it kicked ass! Granted this client took ink exceptionally well, but I dropped some solid ass one-pass lines while moving along faster than hell.

I truly believe you guys have the best solution for using this machine as a long stroke liner w/ the SS Grip! I haven't tried it w/ my Halo yet though. It did wonders for killing vibration and weight distribution when I used them w/ my Bizarre V2. I honestly believe that the SS Grips are an ideal set up, but let me say one more pessimistic thing before I move on:o, I hate using non-disposable tubes! Just for the time and laziness factor. I think this machine might actually be worth switching back to SS for, I think it's really that good. My shop does disposable ONLY though! This machine might actually be worth me leaving my current shop!;) One more thing I'd like to try before I have it out w/ my boss over the SS is the extra thick green disposable tubes from Unimax. I remember you made mention of them in a post on another forum sometime back Gaston. I thought they might possibly be strong/thick enough to resist vibrating. Anyone else experiencing this problem? What fixes have you come up w/? I believe in this machine enough that I'm committed to making it work and sorting through this issue.

I simply don't have time to write out a full review right now but in light of this fairly negative post I would like to say that all in all I'm really impressed w/ this machine. I have plenty of good things to say about it, it has a lot of really nice characteristics. The give system is superb, motor bolt, design, rubber band system, weight, shading and coloring is great. I'm sure lining will be too once I get everything sorted out. The motor has real nice speed and torque, looking forward to using the other stroke lengths!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
-Ryan

fkirons
08-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Kinda glad you said it first Chris. Don't get me wrong, I love this machine! I started writing a thorough review that I haven't posted yet but I've been afraid that I might get crucified on this thread if I said it really vibrates too much, at least both the 3.6 and especially the 4mm stroke at higher voltage. In fact it's been such an issue for me that I've been pretty shocked that after a 100 posts that not one other person had made mention of it. I can't help but think it might have something to do w/ the fact that Gaston is such an awesome and active presence in our community. I've noticed quick responses and valuable information posted by this guy for years. He seams like a great guy who's passionate about what he does and he obviously cares about our craft. It seams as if people don't want to say anything negative about his machines at all, perhaps out of respect. I don't wish to offend and this is not directed toward anyone or any of these reviews specifically, I could definitely see how someone might have nothing but good things to say about these machines! But in order for these reviews to be worth while and more credible, we should try to remain objective and voice our opinions on all aspects of these machines both good AND bad. I don't want to put words in Gaston's mouth but I'm sure he too would appreciate our candor. I'm sure he learns from both our compliments and criticisms when working on builds, I'd think that's the whole point of this.

Anyway, I've grown attached to a 4mm stroke length for most of my lining but I just couldn't get on w/ the 4mm stroke Halo as a liner ONLY because starting at a little over 9 volts it starts vibrating so much that the needle jumps forward off the back of the tube no matter how you set up w/ a disposable. I spent a lot of time w/ different setups trying to counter act this, and yes adding another rubber band does help some w/ the vibration and needle ride, I tried it too. But it bogs the motor down a bit which I didn't like. (Friendly suggestion for Gaston: you might possibly offer higher tension bands along side your existing bands, I found that using just 1 didn't provide enough tension sometimes for the long stoke @ high volts but using 2 was just too much.) It's a shame because the intended main purpose for my first Halo was a long stroke liner. I ordered a 3.6mm stroke wheel as a second choice and find I can crank it up slightly higher w/o as much vibration but it's still problematic as a liner. A few days ago, after 2-3 weeks of using the Halo I almost gave up on it as a liner. I said "one last try" and loaded it up w/ the 3.6mm wheel again. As a partial and temporary solution I switched from a 7 diamond to a 5 round tube for running a 7 liner so that the needle didn't jump around, and an extra tight Kung Fu grip to keep the tube from vibrating around. I finally managed to run it at 10 volts w/ a usable stroke and it kicked ass! Granted this client took ink exceptionally well, but I dropped some solid ass one-pass lines while moving along faster than hell.

I truly believe you guys have the best solution for using this machine as a long stroke liner w/ the SS Grip! I haven't tried it w/ my Halo yet though. It did wonders for killing vibration and weight distribution when I used them w/ my Bizarre V2. I honestly believe that the SS Grips are an ideal set up, but let me say one more pessimistic thing before I move on:o, I hate using non-disposable tubes! Just for the time and laziness factor. I think this machine might actually be worth switching back to SS for, I think it's really that good. My shop does disposable ONLY though! This machine might actually be worth me leaving my current shop!;) One more thing I'd like to try before I have it out w/ my boss over the SS is the extra thick green disposable tubes from Unimax. I remember you made mention of them in a post on another forum sometime back Gaston. I thought they might possibly be strong/thick enough to resist vibrating. Anyone else experiencing this problem? What fixes have you come up w/? I believe in this machine enough that I'm committed to making it work and sorting through this issue.

I simply don't have time to write out a full review right now but in light of this fairly negative post I would like to say that all in all I'm really impressed w/ this machine. I have plenty of good things to say about it, it has a lot of really nice characteristics. The give system is superb, motor bolt, design, rubber band system, weight, shading and coloring is great. I'm sure lining will be too once I get everything sorted out. The motor has real nice speed and torque, looking forward to using the other stroke lengths!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
-Ryan

Hello Ryan. As I stated many times, good and bad feedback helps me all the time not just the good one.
I don't see why people would be afraid to say what they have to say as I can only improve the product with good and good and bad feedback.

I myself have tested all the strokes, with several configurations and voltage speeds.

The 3.6 and 4mm are the StekeWheels with the most displacement of the bearing axis. The reason why the machine hits and pushes inks so fast is because two things the weight of the stroke wheel (made our of stainless) and the weight of the slider (has a stainless steel rod inside + the weight of the slider knob and slider itself) When you run it too high the machine will show some vibration for the simple fact that the machine is really light and RPMs kick in creating more centrifugal force when the stroke is longer.

You notice this with the 3.6 and 4mm. Personally I don't see the need with this machine to go with anything more than 3.2 but some users like larger strokes. I think this is something that you can notice with several rotaries. The longer the throw the more they will vibrate, especially the really light ones.
Same thing with coil machines. All my coils ship with a 2.5- 3mm stroke for that reason unless the user wants something longer.

Although I notice some vibration with the longer throws at higher voltage, this never bother me to pull crisp, steady lines for what I can think that the other thing that could happen in your case (as well) is that the slider for some reason fits a bit lose and you get some rattling sensation, I haven't came up to this situation yet but I would like to take a look at your machine. If you like please send it to me ASAP. Make sure to fill out this form http://www.fkirons.com/shop/service-your-machine and send along your machine.

Again to anyone trying our machines, feel free to drop me a line, even after all the testing we did, we still learning and improving the way we build them and we are here to assist you.

Gaston

artoftatt2
08-20-2012, 11:44 AM
I wrap my disposables with a paper towel and some self stick tape...takes most of the vibration out and feels better for me..

PAWNJOB
08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
I think it's worth you taking a look at it. I'll send it off asap. Thank you,

-Ryan

slicksteel
08-20-2012, 02:53 PM
It would be cool if ya made run Stainless steel framed version for us heavy coil users that love the long stroke! If its even possible to? :D

fkirons
08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I will look into making a version in stainless. But then it will suck to use disposable :p Sounds interesting the idea. Def digesting it as we speak

Sage Oz
08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Stainless? Bah! Go all the way bro- Titanium!!! Good compromise in weight between the two, and oh so beautiful, strong and durable

peter clements
08-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Stainless? Bah! Go all the way bro- Titanium!!! Good compromise in weight between the two, and oh so beautiful, strong and durable

It's worth Gaston considering it Sage, I think the finished result would be gorgeous.

fkirons
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I will investigate the subject sounds instereting.

Administrator
08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I will investigate the subject sounds instereting.

An expensive.

Sage Oz
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Limited edition :)
If you could do them for no more than $150 more, I think they'd sell. Titanium is expensive to machine true, but the cad and programming is already done, the right manufacturer could produce the frames fairly affordably...

asA
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
If buy another heavier spektra! I've been looking for an excuse to buy another body.

slicksteel
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I will look into making a version in stainless. But then it will suck to use disposable :p Sounds interesting the idea. Def digesting it as we speak
Stainless for use guys that use steel tubes and like weight ,which would help with long stroke machines-which a lot of coil users use.Plus it would meet all health standards of sterilization in all lands.I feel that is the downfall of all rotary makers they feel that they have to make everything light as a feather. I feel if they did both a lighter and heavier model they will get more sells and please more artists. The brass storm is selling great to coil users as it has that weight of a coil machine. I find when a machine is to light i have to actually do more work which causes more cramps and more vibrations.I think you are going to see alot of carpel in a just a few years from the superlight machine users as the cause of this is not weight. It is repetitive motions and vibrations.Just look at any very lite rotary users posted videos and you will see that they have to constantly push the needle in as compared to a coil. A coil can also cause carpel but takes many years to do so because the machines do the work and they have some weight/density to absorb vibrations. Can you imagine a Halo in SS!? from reviews it gets ink in the skin great with its weighted slide and if you had a heavier front frame with the aluminum back motor mount it would be truly the crossover machine that would define everything as you would be able to do any size stroke and let the machine due the work due not having to constantly push the needle in or felling vibrations.
Look at the testing ray did with the original neo tat it had a lot of meat to its frame so it caused minimal vibrations.That is why that machine sells well and is still a favorite of coil/rotary users all over the world. :)

shoutingbombs
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Spektra arrived today (3.6mm)!...got to use it for 2 small tattoos. This thing is awesome, I was comfortable with it right out of the gate. Can't wait to do larger pieces with it so I can really appreciate how smooth this machine is.... bang on Gaston.

fkirons
08-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Stainless for use guys that use steel tubes and like weight ,which would help with long stroke machines-which a lot of coil users use.Plus it would meet all health standards of sterilization in all lands.I feel that is the downfall of all rotary makers they feel that they have to make everything light as a feather. I feel if they did both a lighter and heavier model they will get more sells and please more artists. The brass storm is selling great to coil users as it has that weight of a coil machine. I find when a machine is to light i have to actually do more work which causes more cramps and more vibrations.I think you are going to see alot of carpel in a just a few years from the superlight machine users as the cause of this is not weight. It is repetitive motions and vibrations.Just look at any very lite rotary users posted videos and you will see that they have to constantly push the needle in as compared to a coil. A coil can also cause carpel but takes many years to do so because the machines do the work and they have some weight/density to absorb vibrations. Can you imagine a Halo in SS!? from reviews it gets ink in the skin great with its weighted slide and if you had a heavier front frame with the aluminum back motor mount it would be truly the crossover machine that would define everything as you would be able to do any size stroke and let the machine due the work due not having to constantly push the needle in or felling vibrations.
Look at the testing ray did with the original neo tat it had a lot of meat to its frame so it caused minimal vibrations.That is why that machine sells well and is still a favorite of coil/rotary users all over the world. :)

Yeah I def like a bit of weight when i'm lining. I personally don't have trouble lining with disposable but I prefer SS over plastic for lining. Yesterday I lined and color a piece with Stainless 1" with 4mm stroke Halo and I must say that weight will always be a plus on any machine when lining. An example is when you use disposable with coils, most people can run mag tubes with no problem but when it comes to lining heavy tube is always a plus. Of course, unless you master your technique lining with disposable.

PS: Stainless steel machine.... Notes taken :)

fkirons
08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Spektra arrived today (3.6mm)!...got to use it for 2 small tattoos. This thing is awesome, I was comfortable with it right out of the gate. Can't wait to do larger pieces with it so I can really appreciate how smooth this machine is.... bang on Gaston.

Enjoy it bro. All machines come broken in so they should perform with no issues out of the box. Shoot me a message if you need help with anything.

shoutingbombs
08-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks...nice to see quality and customer service still exists.

dakine702
08-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Reading everyones comments make me even more excited lol just ordered a green 3.6 cant wait!

shoutingbombs
08-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Gaston, is your inbox full?

lammy2012
08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
i now own 2 spektras. great machine and Gaston is a hell of a guy!!!!

fkirons
08-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Gaston, is your inbox full?
I think I have replied to you bud. LEt me know or email Kayleigh at [email protected] for customer service!

PAWNJOB
08-26-2012, 03:09 AM
I think I’m finally wrapping my mind around this whole weight issue. Weight is good for two reasons: killing vibrations and steadying the hand when lining (inertia). But look, we all want our machines to be as light as possible, so you want to add only as much extra weight as needed to effectively/sufficiently kill vibes and steady your hand.

For the sake of dampening vibrations with a long stroke set-up it would be interesting to set up an experiment to determine an ideal weight for the Halo (which would of course be subjective) and then see if that ideal weight would either increase or decrease depending on placement or distribution of any extra weight from the machine body to the grip. Unless you found that adding weight to the machine body was more efficient in killing vibrations than adding weight to the entire set up (SS tube and Grip) then I don't believe that there's any need for a heavier machine body at all. In fact at that point it would be a down right bad idea. Having a heavy machine dangling high up and off the axis of the tube most certainly does NOT help steady your hand. In fact it works against you, it really isn’t an ideal option. For the sake of stabilization ideally you’d distribute any additional weight right in your hand, in the grip! That way the extra weight is placed along the axis of the tube at it’s lowest point. The lower center of gravity would increase stability translating to much better maneuverability and relieving strain from the wrist.

Once again I think SS tubes and grips are probably the answer, but then we come to those of us who are stuck using disposables because of shop policy or whatever other reason. Well instead of heavier machines what about a line of weighted disposable tubes that are rigid enough and heavy enough to kill excessive vibes. If you did set up such an experiment w/ a heavier machine body and determined that extra weight in the grip alone killed vibes sufficiently then maybe you should scrap the heavy metal machine idea and begin R&D on a new line of disposable tubes Gaston. ;-)

Sage Oz
08-26-2012, 04:46 AM
^^^^I've used some disposable grip-less one piece tubes with 1" SS grips, effective setup for this scenario.

peter clements
08-26-2012, 05:59 AM
^^^^I've used some disposable grip-less one piece tubes with 1" SS grips, effective setup for this scenario.

That's what I used to do Sage, but Health & Safety started beating the drum about vacuum autoclaves, they say a standard autoclave doesn't sterilise inside the hollow of the grip (load of bollocks). This is a policy no doubt stirred up by the autoclave manufacturers, trying to force us into buying new generic machines, they of course are the ones who profit from this. When I suggested cutting a TST strip into slivers and then inserting it into the hollows of the tube/tip ,and thus prove sterilisation would take place inside the tube, the health inspector just stood there with his mouth open catching flies. However, he would not budge,so now I use disposables. I do miss the weight and vibration absorbtion of a 1" steel grip, especially for machines that have some vibration,the Spektra once you go beyond 8 volts tends to vibrate more as you go up. It is of course a fabulous machine,I lined with it yesterday with one of my favorite steel tubes (good luck iron) it was absolute joy,from the finest lines to thick ones.
So, this heavy disposable tube scenario ,does need to be addressed.

Sage Oz
08-26-2012, 06:12 AM
There was a post recently about a line of new disposables that you can insert removable and autoclavable weights into, seems a bit silly but yeah heavier, larger grip disposables are a good idea. I recently went back to one piece stainless with 1" titanium grips(I dumped a bunch of Ł at Goodluckiron) and minus the cleaning/autoclave ritual I could not be happier.

nivek
08-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Same here I use disposable tubes with my ss grips. Cheap as hell and nice weight.

Eturnus
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
The wait to get mine is agonizing!

PAWNJOB
08-26-2012, 02:21 PM
*EDITED*

@Peter: I misread your post and therefore removed my comments about it from this post. I think we agree ;-)

@ Sage: Since you’d want to add only enough weight to sufficiently dampen the vibrations. The amount of weight would be subjective and vary depending on what set-up your running and at what speed. For this reason I personally think itmight be a good solution having removable weights. In fact I’d like to look at those tubes you mentioned. It'd be cool if the weights themselves were disposable though. I agree that it’s kinda silly to introduce anything that you have to sterilize to an all disposable set up, but it seems that you have to compromise one way or the other on this issue. At least at this point. I’m still thinking it’d be cool to have a weighted, all-disposable option w/ maybe a couple different weights available. :p

For now I ended up ordering some angle cut round tip solid/seamless 1-piece SS Tube/Tip/Grip's from Kingpin. http://kingpintattoosupply.com/pro-design-solidcombo-liners.aspx (hover over the product shot for a good close up of the tips) I really liked the idea of having an easier time scrubbing the tube w/o having to remove the grip. I hope that's a selling point when I try to convince my boss that I really need these. I'm anxious to let you guys know when I get a chance to run the Halo w/ the SS!

That's what I used to do Sage, but Health & Safety started beating the drum about vacuum autoclaves, they say a standard autoclave doesn't sterilise inside the hollow of the grip (load of bollocks). This is a policy no doubt stirred up by the autoclave manufacturers, trying to force us into buying new generic machines, they of course are the ones who profit from this. When I suggested cutting a TST strip into slivers and then inserting it into the hollows of the tube/tip ,and thus prove sterilisation would take place inside the tube, the health inspector just stood there with his mouth open catching flies. However, he would not budge,so now I use disposables. I do miss the weight and vibration absorbtion of a 1" steel grip, especially for machines that have some vibration,the Spektra once you go beyond 8 volts tends to vibrate more as you go up. It is of course a fabulous machine,I lined with it yesterday with one of my favorite steel tubes (good luck iron) it was absolute joy,from the finest lines to thick ones.
So, this heavy disposable tube scenario ,does need to be addressed.

There was a post recently about a line of new disposables that you can insert removable and autoclavable weights into, seems a bit silly but yeah heavier, larger grip disposables are a good idea. I recently went back to one piece stainless with 1" titanium grips(I dumped a bunch of Ł at Goodluckiron) and minus the cleaning/autoclave ritual I could not be happier.

Sage Oz
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
How about Disposables that have large hollow grips that can fill with water to preference from a bottle and has a plastic plug, like a squirt gun?

PAWNJOB
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Ha, not sure if you're being completely sarcastic but actually doesn't sound too bad. lol. The fluid might possibly help kill the vibes real efficiently too. Prolly work even better if the Hollow grip had a powder inside that mixed w/ the water to quickly form a gel to avoid sloshing.:D

nivek
08-26-2012, 03:30 PM
https://www.goodguysupply.com/products/disposables/gripless-tubes

^^^ the shit! you get a bunch of allen keys - package one with every other grip and you get the weight and vibration reduction of steel, with the ease of disposables. Yes you have to clean the grips but ten times easier than tips. I swear by them, turned Gaston onto them.

And at 50 for 12 bucks.....

nivek
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I just got mine and so far, so good.
Love the weight look and feel of it.
Better review after I have done more than one tattoos with it.

My only comment is the lack of elastics that came with the product.. seriously ? Such a specific size and you give me 20 of them

If you get one of these machines I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you get a bag of elastics as well.

**Edited to remove a bitchy comment

skinmech
08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I am only commenting on the service which I have received from FKI regarding the delivery of my Spektra.. Simply put, correspondence, updates and communication was impeccable-100%..I ordered a Kryptonite Green Machine, so I expected a delayed delivery, what I didn't expect, was the updates, and communications..I was always kept in the loop..

If FKI and TATsoul ever get together, and have a kid...That kid will rock the tattoo supply industry, both for Quality and Customer Service, Only saying....P

asA
08-28-2012, 03:36 PM
I just got mine and so far, so good.
Love the weight look and feel of it.
Better review after I have done more than one tattoos with it. Only comment is the lack of elastics that came with the product.. seriously ? Such a specific size and you give me 20 of them ... 50 bucks for shipping that only cost 31 and you cheap out on the elastics.....
Wasn't there photos somewhere showing how to use a normal rubberband instead.... He coulda sent you 0 rubberbands...

nivek
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Wasn't there photos somewhere showing how to use a normal rubberband instead.... He coulda sent you 0 rubberbands...

Seriously ? He might as well have. I'm sorry - I would have preferred the lack of a fuzzy bag or the allen key for more elastics. I'm sorry but in this day and age and economy, a 500 dollar machine - why the hell would you not toss in a free bag of elastics.

The response it to ASA not Gaston, but seriously "we happy with what you got" is the kind of shitty attitude to have.

asA
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Seriously ? He might as well have. I'm sorry - I would have preferred the lack of a fuzzy bag or the allen key for more elastics. I'm sorry but in this day and age and economy, a 500 dollar machine - why the hell would you not toss in a free bag of elastics.

The response it to ASA not Gaston, but seriously "we happy with what you got" is the kind of shitty attitude to have.
And some people are never happy either. Some people freak out over 5 dollar elastics and overpaying for shipping... I can see how my feeling of being happy with what I have is bad...and your freak out over meaningless stuff is what is right.... Gotcha.
I on the other hand was happy to get a few elastics and a fuzzy pouch. And apprieciate an amazing machine for what it is and not how many extras it came with.

nivek
08-28-2012, 04:09 PM
uhh the elastics are 15.00 first of all, and I would have to pay extra shipping if i ordered them now. I am not freaking out, sorry you feel that voicing my opinion is somehow freaking out. My point it simple, they work better with the elastics that then included, so why not include more ? That's my feedback, which is what this post is for.

I apologize immensely for voicing my opinion, contrary to yours - that must be where the "freak out" is occurring. Sarcasm aside, get stuffed.

asA
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Do your down economy a favor and buy elastics locally.... and I'll get "stuffed" being content with my 20 free elastic.

clint morrison
08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I did find a bag of hair bands at Walmart that work perfectly. For like a dollar I think. Or something like this looks like the same thing. http://www.amazon.com/Rubberbands-Styling-Dreadlocks-Toddlers-Fishing/dp/B008ALT4OY

artoftatt2
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Haha I thought I was the only guy using ghettoo hair bands..

nivek
08-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I did find a bag of hair bands at Walmart that work perfectly. For like a dollar I think. Or something like this looks like the same thing. http://www.amazon.com/Rubberbands-Styling-Dreadlocks-Toddlers-Fishing/dp/B008ALT4OY

Thank you Clint !

biggboy
08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
man reading all these feed back is making me wanna get 1....man o man..:confused::rolleyes::confused:...

Inkslingers
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Pulled these lines with the 3.2 using a 4L bug pin...The lighter toned lines in the face, blood, bellies, etc., are just that, done in a lighter tone. Had a blast doing it, took me something like an hour and a half?

fkirons
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
uhh the elastics are 15.00 first of all, and I would have to pay extra shipping if i ordered them now. I am not freaking out, sorry you feel that voicing my opinion is somehow freaking out. My point it simple, they work better with the elastics that then included, so why not include more ? That's my feedback, which is what this post is for.

I apologize immensely for voicing my opinion, contrary to yours - that must be where the "freak out" is occurring. Sarcasm aside, get stuffed.

Hey bro no need to apologize. All good. The free sample rubber bands are just to show you what you can use. You do not have to use those, you can use regular doubled rubber bands. You can also find them somewhere else but out of all the rubber bands we bought, these ones have good tension and can hold on during the hole tattoo. Because of that we make them available on our site for your convenience.

The $50 fee is a flat rate for international that covers, packing, handling, shipping. It is still $50 even when you order 3 machine bodies and 2 motorboats combo.

I know I can't make everyone happy but at least we try.

Hope the tips regarding the rubber bands help
Gaston

nivek
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey bro no need to apologize. All good. The free sample rubber bands are just to show you what you can use. You do not have to use those, you can use regular doubled rubber bands. You can also find them somewhere else but out of all the rubber bands we bought, these ones have good tension and can hold on during the hole tattoo. Because of that we make them available on our site for your convenience.

The $50 fee is a flat rate for international that covers, packing, handling, shipping. It is still $50 even when you order 3 machine bodies and 2 motorboats combo.

I know I can't make everyone happy but at least we try.

Hope the tips regarding the rubber bands help
Gaston

Thanks Gaston, the reply was much more geared toward him than you. I understand the flat rate charges, which why I removed the comment regarding shipping. It's fair - and as a business owner I know you pay more than 50 for other places - plus the cost of the boxes and packaging etc. I have no beef with the cost which is why I edited out the comment . So far I LOVE the machine, I have tried both yours and other elastics, and I have to say the ones you included work much better for me - I like keeping my voltage low, and too much tension interferes with that, and may even cause issues with the motor in the long run.

My only input other than great machine, great service would be - maybe a few more elastics, or something on the site indicating that you recommend the elastics you sell, I prefer them, already, so now I have to go hunt some down or autoclave used one (which is a bit over the top for me).

I e-mailed your staff regarding the machine today, and they responded fast as hell, in fact fast enough that I was reading the response just as the package was dropped off. I really like the machine, it packs color so effortlessly, unfortunately I only got to use it on three small tattoos today, I will give it a true work out tomorrow. I can see myself getting another motor and couple of machine heads in the future, I am impressed by the machine so far.

Thank you for the response, Gaston

Nivek

nivek
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
man reading all these feed back is making me wanna get 1....man o man..:confused::rolleyes::confused:...

Honestly I have to say the price was the only thing making me hold back because things have been a bit tight as of late. I have no problem paying for quality, but you never know how a machine works for you until its in your hands.

All I can say is with the limited use I have had so far (only for color) I recommend you get one, you will not be disappointed. worth ever penny.

chizzle
08-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Honestly I have to say the price was the only thing making me hold back because things have been a bit tight as of late. I have no problem paying for quality, but you never know how a machine works for you until its in your hands.

All I can say is with the limited use I have had so far (only for color) I recommend you get one, you will not be disappointed. worth ever penny.

Im with nivek, ive paid over $500 on four machines i no longer have and am now quite happy with my $300 kubin machines, i think if a machine is gonna be over $400 it should come with a 30 day money back gaurauntee. not saying this would ever happen or expect it to happen, just saying it would be nice.

vodu
08-29-2012, 06:25 AM
The problem is the machines are going to someone that you don't know if the supposed owner is a artist who take care of cross-contamination issues. And in one month the machine could be dropped, the motor is used, the machines could be soaked in his enemys blood,....

Enviado de meu GT-I9100 usando o Tapatalk 2

Inkslingers
08-29-2012, 10:31 AM
I did a tattoo on a guy about 5 months ago. Smoked the piece, did a really nice job with it. I had a blast doing it (was a biomech skull, right in line with what I enjoy doing). Worked on the guy for like 5+ hours, which for how fast I tattoo is a long time. I was in such a good mood after completing the tattoo that when it came time to collect some money from him' I decided to drop my agreed upon rate of $125 an hour down to an even $100. I worked on him for something like 5 hours & 45 minutes, so I rounded it up to 6 hours and told the client I needed 6 bills from him. "But if you're charging me $100 an hour, shouldn't it only be $575? Since you only took you 5 hours and 45 minutes?" (seems he was watching the clock) I asked him if he understood that for no other reason then just being cool, I had dropped my rate? Was he totally happy with the work? Yes was the answer to both questions, he told me he was "amazed" by the tattoo, but dropping my rate was MY choice, and since I did he should only owe me $575...What exactly the fuck is the matter with some people I don't know!?

Could have maybe left out that story and just have gotten straight to my post, but sometimes people make you wonder. Like in the case of crying about not having gotten your due amount of rubber bands with your new Spektra? Doesn't matter that you just got your hands on what is a kick ass machine. Doesn't matter that the bands that were included were a gift. Doesn't matter that you were also sent lube, was packaged very nicely, it got there in a timely matter, the customer service you received was extraordinary, bla, bla, bla...none of that matters because you didn't get enough rubber bands? Seriously?

Gaston, I hope I'm not stepping on toes with this, but if you want some bands that work very well with the Spektra, at a low price, with FREE shipping...check out these links. They ship to Canada...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-SMALL-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-/110599848883?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19c043c3b3#ht_2172wt_1163 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-SMALL-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-/110599848883?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19c043c3b3#ht_2172wt_1163)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-SMALL-TINY-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-3-Brand-New-Pack-/110841666338?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19cead9b22#ht_2203wt_1163
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-SMALL-TINY-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-10-New-Packs-/110841667900#ht_2203wt_1163

nivek
08-29-2012, 11:15 AM
SNIP

Could have maybe left out that story and just have gotten straight to my post, but sometimes people make you wonder. Like in the case of crying about not having gotten your due amount of rubber bands with your new Spektra? Doesn't matter that you just got your hands on what is a kick ass machine. Doesn't matter that the bands that were included were a gift. Doesn't matter that you were also sent lube, was packaged very nicely, it got there in a timely matter, the customer service you received was extraordinary, bla, bla, bla...none of that matters because you didn't get enough rubber bands? Seriously?
SNIP

Apparently I hit a nerve with my suggestion.....

Okay I want to make this crystal clear - for some reason the input of wanting more elastics OR some info suggesting I BUY SOME on the site, seems to of given some of you the idea that I wasn't happy or that I'm "crying" or some other bullshit.

This is an feedback topic. If you read the post it was I am happy with the product, I am happy with the service my SUGGESTION is that they include more elastics OR mention somewhere that the elastics they sell are recommended for the product. I do not expect something for nothing, and am generally when I do get "bonuses". I mentioned all the great things about it - the good customer service etc etc, but for some reason mentioning that some more elastics or indication that I should get some - is the point you are focusing on?

If I gave anyone the impression that it somehow is a do or die for me, it is NOT. It is a SUGGESTION - the fact that I have to chase down some elastics to use my machine is the only comment and it is a bit of a PITA. I would have paid for a bag if I was aware that it was suggested. That being said, now I have to run around and get some more somewhere because in 3-4 days I will be out.

I kinda resent that you are comparing me to this guy, getting over hundred bucks off a tattoo then picking up about 25 bucks is NOT the same as saying a few more elastics would have been nice. I do not expect something for nothing, there is no venom, anger or bitching involved. I have a beautiful new machine, that was sent quickly, and with great customer service. If he tagged on an extra ten bucks and included a bag, I would have been fine with that, in fact the 20 he sent me I am fine with as well, all I said some more or mention that I may want to get more because they are specific to this machine and they do work better than regular ones, IMO.

I understand where you may be coming from, but really? It's not the same thing in any shape or form. I have heard nothing but good things about these machines, which is why I got one. If I was "crying" or "freaking out" or if it really upset me, or I felt cheated in any way, I would sell the machine and have nothing to do with them, or contact the customer service. If I was upset about it I would NOT be recommending them to others in other posts, I would not have posted positive comments and I would not have posted comments saying that I want to get another machine or two.

I paid the pre-order price, and was happy with that, as luck would have it Gaston posted a discounted price less than a week later, I did not "cry" about it, it was one of those "doh" moments that happen in life. I was honestly thinking about getting another before I even got the one I ordered because of this sale.

It was a suggestion, and I can guarantee that the same suggestion may have popped into someone else's head as well. I am honestly surprised that this is drawing any attention what so ever, it was a suggestion not a bitch gripe complaint or anything of the sort. I have no beefs or complaints regarding anything to do with this machine, in fact I am very very happy with it, however I am regretful that I made any suggestion what so ever, because apparently it means I'm a whiner... now THAT is fucked.

skinmech
08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I might be wrong,but, if you bag your machine following safe working practices, then the Free bands, which are slightly stronger, and less susceptible to stretching could last for ages...

I couldn't be arsed with that, I know a good thing when I see it, so I went for the 500 bag, LOL...Each to your own,Peace,P.:D

nivek
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
I might be wrong,but, if you bag your machine following safe working practices, then the Free bands, which are slightly stronger, and less susceptible to stretching could last for ages...

I couldn't be arsed with that, I know a good thing when I see it, so I went for the 500 bag, LOL...Each to your own,Peace,P.:D

I toss elastics usually after a couple of tattoos. I should have grabbed a bag, but to be honest I didn't even see them on the site, I would have as well. Maybe I'm just not that bright.

asA
08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I bought a Giant bag of small bands for 50$ 8 years ago from neuma.. I only use a band once and I still have thousands left, and somehow they are still stretchy and not all dried out(I keep them in a sealed container) best 50$ investment ever.

fkirons
08-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I did a tattoo on a guy about 5 months ago. Smoked the piece, did a really nice job with it. I had a blast doing it (was a biomech skull, right in line with what I enjoy doing). Worked on the guy for like 5+ hours, which for how fast I tattoo is a long time. I was in such a good mood after completing the tattoo that when it came time to collect some money from him' I decided to drop my agreed upon rate of $125 an hour down to an even $100. I worked on him for something like 5 hours & 45 minutes, so I rounded it up to 6 hours and told the client I needed 6 bills from him. "But if you're charging me $100 an hour, shouldn't it only be $575? Since you only took you 5 hours and 45 minutes?" (seems he was watching the clock) I asked him if he understood that for no other reason then just being cool, I had dropped my rate? Was he totally happy with the work? Yes was the answer to both questions, he told me he was "amazed" by the tattoo, but dropping my rate was MY choice, and since I did he should only owe me $575...What exactly the fuck is the matter with some people I don't know!?

Gaston, I hope I'm not stepping on toes with this, but if you want some bands that work very well with the Spektra, at a low price, with FREE shipping...check out these links. They ship to Canada...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-SMALL-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-/110599848883?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19c043c3b3#ht_2172wt_1163 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-SMALL-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-/110599848883?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19c043c3b3#ht_2172wt_1163)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-SMALL-TINY-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-3-Brand-New-Pack-/110841666338?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19cead9b22#ht_2203wt_1163
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-SMALL-TINY-Black-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Braiding-Elastic-Poly-10-New-Packs-/110841667900#ht_2203wt_1163

I might check them out too. Thanks bro.

fkirons
08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I bought a Giant bag of small bands for 50$ 8 years ago from neuma.. I only use a band once and I still have thousands left, and somehow they are still stretchy and not all dried out(I keep them in a sealed container) best 50$ investment ever.

This idea of the rubber band is to toss them after each tattoo, but we noticed that these kind (we tried dozens of style) keep their shape, ointment and madacide resistant, tension and worked the best. I'm sure other rubber bands can work as good. Just feel free to buy what suits you best. My main business are machines not rubber bands :) just a convenience that if you happen to need them and want them with your order they are on the site ready to go.

Feel free to order them from any other sites if you can save a 15% or more or by switching to Geico :D

On a side note. Anyone received the Forum promo machine yet?

Sage Oz
08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Anxiously awaiting. I think the UPS guy is scared that I'm going to rape him the way I look at him lately....

vodu
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Anxiously awaiting. I think the UPS guy is scared that I'm going to rape him the way I look at him lately....

Oh my i really laughing my ass off imagining the scene

Enviado de meu GT-I9100 usando o Tapatalk 2

artoftatt2
08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Got my machine.. Looks good with the other two:) thanks bro

Eturnus
08-29-2012, 11:21 PM

Priceless.

serial1313
08-29-2012, 11:26 PM
I ordered one friday & 2 more on saturday. Tracking number was sent to me today. When I track the number is doesn't show any info. I'm assuming it got it got dropped off today.

tattoosbyjamison
08-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Got mine today, thanks again Gaston!!!!!!!

Eturnus
08-30-2012, 01:14 AM
:/ still havent got mine.

Blondan
08-30-2012, 04:07 AM
Not fair :( I have to wait god knows how long for mine. Thanks to post office.

peter clements
08-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Not fair :( I have to wait god knows how long for mine. Thanks to post office.

Dan, just lately you seem to be having more than the average issue with the post office-it must be frustrating. I've drifted off topic,so I'll just say my 3.6 stroke Spektra is the best outliner I have used.

fkirons
08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I ordered one friday & 2 more on saturday. Tracking number was sent to me today. When I track the number is doesn't show any info. I'm assuming it got it got dropped off today.

All the forum orders had their label printed yesterday after 5 I believe, therefore they are all being dropped off today.

Tracking should appear once the package enters the postal stream.
Hang on people.!

Zapp
08-30-2012, 09:35 AM
I want to say something about the SPEKTRA !
I have pre ordered the 3 machine combo whitch i get a couple of weeks ago,after testing i ordered another one !
The quality is simple amazing !
Andonizing,motor bolt system just everything !
It works just great right out of the box !
Lining,shading and colour packing is just a dream !
I am stuck on the 3.6 stroke exept for coulor packing i use the 4 mm stoke whitch is the only one who have vibration but i put a disposable rubber over and the problem is solved !
I use the SPEKTRAS only, and i am very,very HAPPY !
I was a bit frustated about the waiting time but you cant rush a project like this !
THANK YOU GASTON FOR BUILDING SUCH A AWESOME MACHINE LIKE THE SPEKTRA !!!!!

chris-in-cali
08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
it's fucking dope....aint it?
applying the tattoo is made easy, but i what i trip on is the heal time and vibrancy after healing.
heals really fast and and true to the colors that were applied.

i can honestly say that it can take your game to the next level

Barren
09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
got my halo today and first impressions are amazing, it oozes quality played around with a bit of solid packing with the 3.6 and its flawless
ran it for some color blends and again performed like a dream.
its early days but im already thinking of picking up another (got to be a good sign).

fkirons
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
got my halo today and first impressions are amazing, it oozes quality played around with a bit of solid packing with the 3.6 and its flawless
its early days but im already thinking of picking up another (got to be a good sign).
Enjoy it bro. Glad you like it. We are almost out of that green color. :/ should you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Inkslingers
09-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Seems I need to get in an order for a 3.6mm stroke to try it out. I started with the 3.2mm, which I thought was cool for shading...until I got the 4mm..the difference was amazing. Everyone will have their favorite stroke(s) of course, but for right now I'm really digging the 4mm.

fkirons
09-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Seems I need to get in an order for a 3.6mm stroke to try it out. I started with the 3.2mm, which I thought was cool for shading...until I got the 4mm..the difference was amazing. Everyone will have their favorite stroke(s) of course, but for right now I'm really digging the 4mm.
See im stuck to the 3.2mm. 4 is todo long for me. But thats why we Make different ones

chris-in-cali
09-09-2012, 08:26 PM
3.6 is the shit!!!!!!!!

Zapp
09-09-2012, 08:42 PM
3.6 is the shit!!!!!!!!
Exactly !!!!

shoutingbombs
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
3.6 is the ticket!.....but the 3.2 is nice too.

PAWNJOB
09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
I got my Halo back from Gaston and sure enough he needed to tighten up the slide for me. It works a lot better w/ noticeably less vibration and less play in the armature pin! I've tried the 3.2, 3.6, and 4mm stroke lengths now and I think the 3.6 is definitely the best all arounder for me. I liked the 3.2 better for blending and shading and even for easy lining jobs (fat people's calves:D), even less vibrations. You definitely get a bit more punch from the longer stroke wheels though which is invaluable to me when lining tough areas especially w/ bigger groupings. I think this machine definitely runs better, or smoother anyway, w/ the shorter stroke wheels though. Even after the Halo was repaired it still produces a good deal of vibrations w/ the longer stroke wheels when you have it cranked up, but at least it's bearable/usable now even w/ disposable tubes. I still haven't used the 4mm wheel since the repair. I did however use it w/ both disposables and SS when lining w/ the 3.6 and I'd say the difference is NIGHT & DAY! The extra weight really helps the balance, even though the Halo is super light. And it definitely does wonders for killing vibes. I honestly wouldn't care to use the Halo for a long stroke liner w/o SS. But along w/ the extra weight of the SS I think this is probably the finest machine that I've ever used for lining, or anything else for that matter. I'm still holding off for my full review til I clock some more hours on it. If things keep up like this I'll be selling most of my machine collection to help pay for some more Halos. I always liked the idea of having 4 or 5 machine heads set up w/ interchangeable motors of different stroke lengths at my disposal. I just didn't find what I needed for one reason or another w/ other brands. Maybe I'll keep it down to 3 or 4 machines in anticipation of the next Spektra incarnation, eager to try the Vortek! :p

BambiKhan
09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I've been lining with mine every day, And I love it. The only problem I've had is the needle bar pin pulled out pretty much right away. I just superglued it back in. :)

fkirons
09-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I got my Halo back from Gaston and sure enough he needed to tighten up the slide for me. It works a lot better w/ noticeably less vibration and less play in the armature pin! I've tried the 3.2, 3.6, and 4mm stroke lengths now and I think the 3.6 is definitely the best all arounder for me. I liked the 3.2 better for blending and shading and even for easy lining jobs (fat people's calves:D), even less vibrations. You definitely get a bit more punch from the longer stroke wheels though which is invaluable to me when lining tough areas especially w/ bigger groupings. I think this machine definitely runs better, or smoother anyway, w/ the shorter stroke wheels though. Even after the Halo was repaired it still produces a good deal of vibrations w/ the longer stroke wheels when you have it cranked up, but at least it's bearable/usable now even w/ disposable tubes. I still haven't used the 4mm wheel since the repair. I did however use it w/ both disposables and SS when lining w/ the 3.6 and I'd say the difference is NIGHT & DAY! The extra weight really helps the balance, even though the Halo is super light. And it definitely does wonders for killing vibes. I honestly wouldn't care to use the Halo for a long stroke liner w/o SS. But along w/ the extra weight of the SS I think this is probably the finest machine that I've ever used for lining, or anything else for that matter. I'm still holding off for my full review til I clock some more hours on it. If things keep up like this I'll be selling most of my machine collection to help pay for some more Halos. I always liked the idea of having 4 or 5 machine heads set up w/ interchangeable motors of different stroke lengths at my disposal. I just didn't find what I needed for one reason or another w/ other brands. Maybe I'll keep it down to 3 or 4 machines in anticipation of the next Spektra incarnation, eager to try the Vortek! :p

Hey Bro. Glad you got the machine back and is back to work. The Spektra has stronger down force that up force which is achieved by how each StrokeWheel is balance. This is why the machine color or line with ease. What you notice in your hands is the torque of the needle strike. I recommend 1.25 wrath or Eikon Griffin tubes, but weight on the tube or extra chunkiness to those who enjoy long strokes liner rotaries machines ran at high speed solves the issue.

The Vorteks is in the works but no near to completion :) You guys will be the first ones to get notified :)

fkirons
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I've been lining with mine every day, And I love it. The only problem I've had is the needle bar pin pulled out pretty much right away. I just superglued it back in. :)

Weird bro that piece is actually pressed by pressure and secured with locktite thread lock extra strength. Most likely it wasn't pushed all the way in or forgot the locktite :( my bad!

nomoralz
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I signed up for this forum looking for a rotary to outline with, and read alot of reviews on alot of machines. My attention was drawn to the overwhelming "buzz" about these machines. Even checked the years of tattooing from alot of the people posting knowing they were probably lining as fast as I do. Took the dive and took advantage or the labor day special and purchased a 3.6. Out of the box no adjusting or anything outlined two smaller tattoos effortlessly, then busted out a 1/4 sleeve lining project on my piercer with it later that day. Played around with the give during that time and i think i like it better straight outta the box balls to the walls. A few days later I did some smaller delicate lettering with swirls with a 5l and a 3. Ran a few strokes and switched back to a coil,felt like I was going to filet the lines open. I think it was a weight issue for me. Did a piece this morning with lettering small again and put a new skateboard bearing over the adjuster and nailed it. I think this is definetly an all around machine to do everything with minimal adjustments. I think the support from Gaston on this sight is phenominal and the opinions are legit, raw, and unadulterated. I purchased the 4.0, 3.2 rollers and havent really felt the need to even change them out. I would recommend this machine to anyone using a rotary that doesnt have one or to any one that hasnt used a rotary and looking to make an investment into rotaries. Excellent product, and feedback. Thanks

joelhague
09-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Does anyone line with the give out quite a bit i felt like this was working better believe it or not on flabby areas like the back of the arm about 4 turns out or a little more. I have a whip as well and it hits alot like a coil and the spektra feels closer to that at like 4 ish turns out i just find it odd as the recomendations are only to slightly crack the give or 1.5 turn i know its a really personal thing but is anyone else doing the same?

Sage Oz
09-14-2012, 12:27 AM
I've got mine about 3 turns out when I line(3.6 stroke)

fkirons
09-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I've got mine about 3 turns out when I line(3.6 stroke)
yeah opening the give a notch will help with penetration better. I use mine now with about one full turn out.
Everyone is different. Some of our artists use it all the way stiff, no give as well.

inkd
09-15-2012, 02:42 PM
ok i got a 3.2 gonna get a 3.6 too, anyone tried a cutback shader set up 2.5? fast anyone using needle runners?

joelhague
09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
What about having the give all the way open almost(on disposable). Where other rotarys get sloppy I find my spektra still able to work nicely with it also for all you t tech users I took my spring out like Gaston recommended and the give works with t tech awesome you get a little less of the full range but it definatley works well I find with t tech one turn out is like 1.5 to 2 when I use disposable i thnk its probably that quicker down stroke that allows it to feel powerfull even with when the give is opened quite a bit

also the added bonus of t tech is the stainless grip you get the weight/vibration killing your looking for and the tubes are much easier to clean then a standard stainless tube and needle i also love being able to just set up one machine, be able to change strokes, amount of give and needles on the fly , i dont think tattooing gets much more efficient then that! love my spektra actually i better start calling it the halo, as there may be some confusion in the future as it looks there will be more that fall under the spektra name :)

you said you ordered a t tech grip and some cartridges didn't you Gaston? have you received them , what do you think?

ps: NEVER had any back flow on my t tech cartidges as some have said, if that is holding anyone back honestly dont worry about it i have never seen any ink at all come out the top of the cartridge. gone thru 10 boxes so far

fkirons
09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I bought the t tech setup. I like it a lot. Although I still prefer conventional needles and tubes. I don't seem to find everything I want in one company.

DrewsJumpingShip
09-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Finally got my order put in today for my Spektra in Kryptonite! Stoked to finally give your machine a try Gaston. I did have one question, after I placed the order it says I will be contacted shortly regarding payment and shipping. I payed with my debit card and am having it shipped to the studio. I lost my cell phone the other day so if you need to talk to me before it ships I added the shops number to my order. I will be in today anytime after 6pm pacific time and I will be in at Noon Sunday and Monday. Thanks!

fkirons
09-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Finally got my order put in today for my Spektra in Kryptonite! Stoked to finally give your machine a try Gaston. I did have one question, after I placed the order it says I will be contacted shortly regarding payment and shipping. I payed with my debit card and am having it shipped to the studio. I lost my cell phone the other day so if you need to talk to me before it ships I added the shops number to my order. I will be in today anytime after 6pm pacific time and I will be in at Noon Sunday and Monday. Thanks!
Hey man make sure you email Kayleigh in customer service at [email protected] she will take care of straightening out any discrepancy.

Thank you for the order. Hope you enjoy it!

bmerck11
09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
i got a 3.2 and its very smooth for black and grey, dont know if im ready to put down my coils on lining with it yet. ill keep looking for that sweet spot! great machine G

reigningink
09-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Just wanted to say that I have been more than pleased with my machines from fk. Even more so with the prompt and courteous customer service. I emailed them yesterday with a concern, and they quickly got back to me ,going over and above what I expected to make sure I was satisfied and able to do my best work with their machines. I buy alot of machines from alot of places, but quality customer care will always get me coming back order after order. Thank you fk irons. You have once again earned my business

Blondan
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I just need to say, I've used the spectra, not as much as I wanted but all I can say is one of the best machines I've used if not the best. I intend to buy 3 more or at least the 3machines combo. If you ever have the chance to try it, I bet you will understand what an addict feels when he needs to find money to get his "fix". I bought one, I need to find money to go to the London convention, the seminar and buy 3 more Spektra, I know I'm spending money that I might not have at the moment, but I know this is a good investment in the long run. Like it has been said before, If you don't own a Spektra, find the money and get one, you won't regret, my opinion and many others.

fkirons
09-18-2012, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Blondan;55753] bet you will understand what an addict feels when he needs to find money to get his "fix".
Hahahahaaaaha. "to get his fix" bro ROFLLLLLLLLLLL thank you all for the support.

mystweave
09-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Greeting from oz! I landed in this forum in search of a rotary that would allow me to hang up my coils, after reading many reviews I decided on a Spektra Halo.... I was cautious of the hype and almost seemed to good to be true but all I can say is WOW!
This machine is very nice, it has subtleties I can't describe, I felt at home with it almost instantly, I'm using T-Tech cartridges with the Halo's front spring removed and pushes them no worries, the give screw is so responsive a slight turn and you feeeeeeel the change.

I've tried some other great rotary machines of late that I also really liked, we are very spoiled for choice! But the halo is just so slick in every way and it's sexiness is hard to resist.

I now own two Halo machines and have the 3.2, 3.6 and 4mm stroke wheels, it's still early days for me with this machine but I have already put all my coils up for sale.

I was always worried about lining with a rotary but the Halo felt very natural for me to line with, in fact I already feel more comfortable lining with this then my coils, a used a 14RL last 2 days with 4mm & 3.6mm what a breeze .

I would like to balance this out with the negatives but I really haven't found any yet, maybe time will tell but for now I'm having to much fun with this thing.

First week I had trouble with power surging which I thought was the machines,(turned out to be a faulty critical cx2, who would of thought?) I emailed FK Irons and they where very helpful and non defensive, they just want to help its a real pleasure dealing with them, their customer service is next level!
I don't even know myself now, my set up times where a joke, now no need to set up 3 or 4 machines, rummage through the bottomless pit that is my tubes draw etc etc . Now I have 2 machines with T-Tech .it's what I've been searching for all these years now I can stop tinkering with machines and just get on with tattooing! thanks to every one on here for giving reviews and feedback so we can make a better informed choice on what to buy and help take some of the guess work out! And thanks FK Irons for all your help and an Awesome machine!

jesoner79
09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
i dont know if its just me but it seems as if my "give" does not work as well as everyone is saying i do like the machine and it colors great real solid and good looking machine but i was really expecting it to hit with more control when i use my adjustment knob even at its softest it still hits real hard which is fine but i bought the machine cause i was expecting to be able to make it hit soft or hard am i the only one who has this problem

smiley
09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
i dont know if its just me but it seems as if my "give" does not work as well as everyone is saying i do like the machine and it colors great real solid and good looking machine but i was really expecting it to hit with more control when i use my adjustment knob even at its softest it still hits real hard which is fine but i bought the machine cause i was expecting to be able to make it hit soft or hard am i the only one who has this problem
mine hits real hard too jimmee im still trying to get the hang of it,my vivace has no give but feels softer in the skin,maybee cuz the mabuchi runs slower than that little maxon in the spectra im not sure, but i think its a matter of spending more time w them we'll c, but i do like them they are cool little machines.oh and ive been coloring w mine at about 8.2 on my critical w about 1-1/2 to 2 turns backed out that seems to be the sweet spot so far.hope it gets better for you bro.by the way that greywash set i got from u kicks ass, thanks again.

Eturnus
09-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I think that is how the system is. If you have the give almost all the way out, try reduce needle hang. I found that lager needle groupings work better for the give system.

fkirons
09-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Hey bro the give system works well, we probably oversaw something with your machine. Please check your PM. we'll take care of this asap.

jesoner79
09-20-2012, 12:11 AM
thanks gaston i will check it asap

jboo75
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Right outta the box with a 13 round liner to test. One full turn off the give. Smooth as any rotary I ever used. I set up a seven mag to test , I still have to find my sweet spot with it but so far I love the weight and hit for sure. Cannot wait for my appointments so I can get busy with the 3.2 mm halo.

fkirons
09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Right outta the box with a 13 round liner to test. One full turn off the give. Smooth as any rotary I ever used. I set up a seven mag to test , I still have to find my sweet spot with it but so far I love the weight and hit for sure. Cannot wait for my appointments so I can get busy with the 3.2 mm halo.
Enjoy bro!

vodu
09-20-2012, 08:33 PM
The Brazil post office went on strike yesterday... Man, sometimes i wish i could throw a cocktail molotov on customs...

Sent by the Devil using a vessel, one galaxy S2 and tapatalk 2

PAWNJOB
09-22-2012, 12:41 PM

I for one love the give system on this machine! It's probably at least in part due to the fact that it was just exactly what I was looking for, a give system that goes all the way from absolutely no give to a fair amount of give without all the slack. By slack I mean that some give systems have too light of a hit to where there's not really any resistance at all through much of the stroke w/ an abrupt transition to the point where you've picked up all the slack and there's no give left at all.

The Halo still feels solid even when set up w/ some give from the instant you touch the tips of the needles to the skin to the point of applying enough pressure to use up the give, a real clean and even sweep. There’s always enough resistance to feel how much pressure you’re applying though. Too much give can feel imprecise to me, but that’s neither here nor there. I’d agree w/ you Jesoner, the Halo even w/ the give let out a good deal still has a pretty stiff hit. It’s really not adjustable all the way from no-give to super soft. Like I said it’s perfect for me, but it’s not nearly as soft as some others.

Couple things I’m sure you’ve probably thought of but, what stroke length are you using? A shorter stroke really takes something off the hit w/ these machines. Two, you can really let that knob out a good deal, did you try backing it way off? And last, please let us know if Gaston resolves the issue for you and you change your opinion.

Best of Luck

PAWNJOB
09-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I've tried T-Techs w/ a couple different rotaries and found that they worked well, except that the pre-loaded cartridges put a noticeable amount of extra strain on the motors which I didn't like. The cartridges also take too much off the hit in my opinion, especially when lining. You usually run at higher volts than you do w/o them too. As a result of increased load and higher volts I've noticed my machines heating up a bit so I stopped using them for the most part. I still use my Storm w/ them cause I don't mind much if it takes a shit, already sent one back for a painless exchange. Then I read this:

I'm using T-Tech cartridges with the Halo's front spring removed and pushes them no worries, the give screw is so responsive a slight turn and you feeeeeeel the change.

Brilliant Myst!

Gaston, is this a viable option? While removing the Halo's front spring would probably compensate for the pre-loaded cartridges, would this set up degrade the Halo's give system in any way or can the Halo still perform properly w/o it? I gotta say that if this system works well it would be ideal. Unless you can already say that this is not a good option Gaston, could you please give this a try when you get a chance. I think the builder's opinion would give us a better perspective.

Thanks for that post Myst.

asA
09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I've tried T-Techs w/ a couple different rotaries and found that they worked well, except that the pre-loaded cartridges put a noticeable amount of extra strain on the motors which I didn't like. The cartridges also take too much off the hit in my opinion, especially when lining. You usually run at higher volts than you do w/o them. As a result of increased load and higher volts I've noticed my machines heating up a bit so I stopped using them for the most part. I still use my Storm w/ them cause I don't mind much if it takes a shit, already sent one back for a painless exchange. Then I read this:

Brilliant Myst!

Gaston, is this a viable option? While removing the Halo's front spring would probably compensate for the pre-loaded cartridges, would this set up degrade the Halo's give system in any way or can the Halo still perform properly w/o it? I gotta say that if this system works well it would be ideal. Unless you can already say that this is not a good option Gaston, could you please give this a try when you get a chance. I think the builder's opinion would give us a better perspective.

Thanks for that post Myst. gaston has already made a post somewhere telling people to remove it if they wanna use ttech setup. You can prolly find the post with a little searching.

Eturnus
09-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I use my halo mainly for packing

fkirons
09-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I've tried T-Techs w/ a couple different rotaries and found that they worked well, except that the pre-loaded cartridges put a noticeable amount of extra strain on the motors which I didn't like. The cartridges also take too much off the hit in my opinion, especially when lining. You usually run at higher volts than you do w/o them too. As a result of increased load and higher volts I've noticed my machines heating up a bit so I stopped using them for the most part. I still use my Storm w/ them cause I don't mind much if it takes a shit, already sent one back for a painless exchange. Then I read this:

Brilliant Myst!

Thanks for that post Myst.
How to run Cartdriges systems on your Spektra Halo.

The "Slider" has a pre defined load that is achieved by the "Positioning" spring. This spring retracts the slider so the needle can hide inside your tube when the motor is off.

The normal startup voltage of a spectra is around 5-7 volts depending on several parameters.

The Hawk and T tech Cartridges have a built in "in cartridge spring or elastic" that retracts the needle.
You can understand this principal by "pushing in" the pin that drives the needle in the cartridge system.

The spring in the cartridge system is doing exactly what the "Positioning Spring" in the slider is doing: Retracts the needle when motor stops.

I've noticed that the spring tension of the spring or elastic found in most cartridges is greater than the tension of the Spektras Positioning spring. Probably twice as the tensile strength of the Spektra's "Positioning Spring"

Therefore, by removing the "Positioning Spring" off your Spektra you will allow "just" the spring in the cartridge system do the job of retracting slider and needle.

What Happen if you don't remove the "Positioning Spring" off your Spektra?

If you don't remove that spring the motor will have to fight double or triple the load (achieve by the multiple combination of springs)

Conclusion:
As soon as you remove that front spring off, the Spektra Halo is ready to perform flawless with T-tech or hawk.
The machine will run naturally starting at the normal 6v average voltage and you should see a smooth response by smaller increment of voltage.

Should you have any questions let me know. I may start a new thread with this info, since A LOT of people flooded my inbox since we release the Spektra.
I will also update this on our site ;)

PAWNJOB
09-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the response, very clear. Is it likely the extra load would shorten the life of the motor?

fkirons
09-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the response, very clear. Is it likely the extra load would shorten the life of the motor?
Yes sir, definately

fkirons
09-22-2012, 05:19 PM
for some reason when I copy and paste text to my reply from a text doc the formatting gets messed up. Sorry for the different font size.

aeros66
10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to throw my two cents worth and say a big thank you to Gaston- I love my halo machine... Def the best rotary I've ever used.

Thank god for this forum and builders like him who actively participate, LISTEN, and actually use the machines.
FK Irons is the shiznits!!

Tim210g
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Definitely the best rotary I've ever used hands down! Loving the spektra halo saving up to buy another!

creativeskin
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Amazing machines! Picked up a 2.5 and a 3.2 and haven't put them down! They do it all with ease. I have a 4mm bearing as well and will give that a try too but so far all is good with the other two strokes. Give works amazing and definitely give a nice response. Honestly the best machines I've ever used over coils and other rotaries! Super light yet still strong and with good balance, the perfect machine!

fkirons
12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Amazing machines! Picked up a 2.5 and a 3.2 and haven't put them down! They do it all with ease. I have a 4mm bearing as well and will give that a try too but so far all is good with the other two strokes. Give works amazing and definitely give a nice response. Honestly the best machines I've ever used over coils and other rotaries! Super light yet still strong and with good balance, the perfect machine!

Glad you guys enjoy them. Now the Magic oil Lube is available on the site. There are also instructions on how to lube it. You no longer need to take the machine apart after it has been greased up. Probably every 200 hors grease it up and then maintain it with the oil.
Direct Link> http://www.fkirons.com/shop/lubricants

rowdy
01-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Is there a video of the give on the machine actually working just a question I got one I traded for with another member I thought I saw one on YouTube but can't seem to find it againagain

fkirons
01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Is there a video of the give on the machine actually working just a question I got one I traded for with another member I thought I saw one on YouTube but can't seem to find it againagain
The give works man and feel free to send me your machine to take a look at it if its not working.
Regardless you bought it from me or not, please print and fill out this form and send with your machine http://www.fkirons.com/shop/service-your-machine

I will also include a free lubing kit.
Here is the lubing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDrBhZFAG8&feature=youtu.be

And because you asked I am going to compile a video about the give.

hellraiser6662
01-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Ive paid for my oil but haven't received it yet? It was paid by PayPal under my hewydesigns email addy. Has it been sent out yet?
Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

fkirons_kayleigh
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Ive paid for my oil but haven't received it yet? It was paid by PayPal under my hewydesigns email addy. Has it been sent out yet?

Weird news! PM sent.

hellraiser6662
01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Perhaps some postie using it as a sexual lube they heard it was that good haha thanks for the pm hopefully it will get though this time.

hellraiser6662
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/19/asahy9ub.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/19/e5u8a3u2.jpg
Here's the snow in Norfolk and hiding in the distance is my workshop where I do airbrushing and get cold haha hope this make you feel a little cooler in Miami

rowdy
01-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the fast response waiting on the video

rowdy
01-19-2013, 02:41 AM
I just ordered the new lube btw can't wait to see how well it works

rowdy
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Hey gaston I just got another machine on trade I believe I need to send it to you to take a look at it seem to run really bad I will send it in Monday next week I go on vacation soon I had to have another one cause how much I love the first one I got I hope it can be fixed and run smooth and how much is a rough estimate of service I believe to that the RCA on the motor bolt needs to be replaced HELP!!!!

fkirons
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Hey gaston I just got another machine on trade I believe I need to send it to you to take a look at it seem to run really bad I will send it in Monday next week I go on vacation soon I had to have another one cause how much I love the first one I got I hope it can be fixed and run smooth and how much is a rough estimate of service I believe to that the RCA on the motor bolt needs to be replaced HELP!!!!

Hey there. The best way to get fast customer service is to write to our customer service email, stated on our site under contact us (don't want to post email here because of spam spiders). http://www.fkirons.com/shop/contact-us

Also if you want to send your machine in, you will need to refer to this link http://www.fkirons.com/shop/service-your-machine
All steps are listed there.

We will take care of your gear and get you up and running as soon as we can. We are terribly slammed these days but we do our best to take care of customers as soon as possible.

Side note: We have received a few machines for repair from people that have gotten them on trades and we were a bit in shock to see that a lot of people will trade neglected gear, for example, machines with oil inside the motor, file down sliders just to mention a couple of things.

However we can get almost any machine running like new regardless where you got it from

If your machine is experience any kind of issues, don't hesitate to contact us! http://www.fkirons.com/shop/contact-us

We are very prompt at getting back to our customers.

Regarding lubrication video, you can find it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDrBhZFAG8&feature=youtu.be

It's also the first banner on the FK Irons site :) http://www.fkirons.com

Again guys, feel free to contact us with any questions, and be aware marketing statement on trades, as I have been victim myself with bad trade on this site :( .. just saying...

rowdy
01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Cool thank you gaston I believe the motorbolt is yours but RCA just old and used also the slide after closer Inspection seem to have been tampered with I will send the machine Monday thanks again

fkirons
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Cool thank you gaston I believe the motorbolt is yours but RCA just old and used also the slide after closer Inspection seem to have been tampered with I will send the machine Monday thanks again
Great man make sure to include the form.! Sliders cannot be molested. Even though you can remove it yourself you have to handle it carefully as each slider is fitted per each machine. Even though all machines seem the same to the eye, they are not. We'll be glad to bring back your machine to normal!

bmerck11
01-25-2013, 12:39 AM
It seems like the halo gets better with use also. The a bar and slider seem to move slightly more freely after broke in, making this great machine even better! It's really easy to work off the tips with a great finesse. Giving you complete control.....having a lot of fun with this smooth little power house

fkirons
01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
It seems like the halo gets better with use also. The a bar and slider seem to move slightly more freely after broke in, making this great machine even better! It's really easy to work off the tips with a great finesse. Giving you complete control.....having a lot of fun with this smooth little power house
and I believe that you, at this point, have more Halos in your drawer than I do! :)

bmerck11
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
That would be 3....lol. I'm still wrkn on this custom one ill let ya know what's up

fkirons
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
That would be 3....lol. I'm still wrkn on this custom one ill let ya know what's up
For sure. the white one right?

bmerck11
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Yessir :)

crabink
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
How does the give system on the Halo Spectra compare to the original Dragonfly? Softer? Or the Stigma Hyper v3?

zerovandal14
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Just got a gold halo 3.6 mm about a week/ 2 weeks ago and even though its still breaking in and me getting used to it , i love its my new go too machine, i want to get another another one asap

fkirons
02-10-2013, 12:05 AM
How does the give system on the Halo Spectra compare to the original Dragonfly? Softer? Or the Stigma Hyper v3?
The give system can be adjusted from really soft to no give. It works like it's supposed to. Also the armature has no play to the sides.
Any further questions feel free to email us at orders @ fkirons.com

fkirons
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Just got a gold halo 3.6 mm about a week/ 2 weeks ago and even though its still breaking in and me getting used to it , i love its my new go too machine, i want to get another another one asap
Enjoy it brother.

crabink
02-11-2013, 12:41 AM
@FKirons - I am either going to drop 600 on a hyper v3 or a halo spectra ... I really want a rotary for doing portraits and black and grey and soft blending.
- That being said i can get a spectra and a couple of the different size stroke wheels for the same amount...
- In all honesty I really hear great things about how soft the v3 can be.. How does the halo compare? Is your give system the same as the dragonfly or is it a system of your own creation?
- Reason i ask is because your site simply states "Resistance Adjustment System" but doesn't really get into specifics.
- Are these more coloring machines? Or can they be really soft?
- Also does opening the give adjustment increase the throw? (I would imagine yes)
- Sorry to be so picky but 600 is a grip of money in these dark times.

fkirons
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
@FKirons - I am either going to drop 600 on a hyper v3 or a halo spectra ... I really want a rotary for doing portraits and black and grey and soft blending.
- That being said i can get a spectra and a couple of the different size stroke wheels for the same amount...
- In all honesty I really hear great things about how soft the v3 can be.. How does the halo compare? Is your give system the same as the dragonfly or is it a system of your own creation?
- Reason i ask is because your site simply states "Resistance Adjustment System" but doesn't really get into specifics.
- Are these more coloring machines? Or can they be really soft?
- Also does opening the give adjustment increase the throw? (I would imagine yes)
- Sorry to be so picky but 600 is a grip of money in these dark times.
Hey man. The machine Is $549 And the stroke wheels are 25 each. So for under $600 you get at least 2 strokes. (The machine comes with 1)

- our give system is different than most machines (or at least before we launcjed it ;) )as the armature rides on a rail providing you better response with no armature play to the sides, up or down, unlike piston driven give that causes the armature to swing a bit.

The give spring won't wear out. We made sure to use the right gauge of wire. You can go from no give to full five with 2 turns.

Check out the work of Juan Salgado, Timothy Boor or Johan Finné basically all their latest black and grey work was done with the Spektra. You can really work those transitions without overworking the skin.

I recommend the 3.2mm it's the overall runner, ideal for black and grey. You can use for color and even liner. The 3.6mm is ideal for color and lining.

We almost sold out of Spektra at the Philly Show before we even finished setting up (if that means anything)

Machine are made in the USA with Maxon motor and we are always a call or email away in terms of customer service.

For more info visit the Tech Spec page on our site at www.fkirons.com (http://www.fkirons.com)

from my iPhone so excuse the typos.

psych0ticmisfit
02-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Just wondering how long it usually takes before you guys ship out the orders. Its been a week and I haven't received my tracking number yet. :(

fkirons
02-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Just wondering how long it usually takes before you guys ship out the orders. Its been a week and I haven't received my tracking number yet. :(

It takes usually 7 more or less. A lot of orders and each one of them is built with love.
As far as I know we shipped out all outstanding machines from last week. Best thing to do is to contact customer service at "orders at FKirons dot come" (type it this way to avoid spider crawlers to catch the address) or call 1-855-FKIRONS

rowdy
02-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Hey gaston I sent my red halo in for a bit of service and haven't heard about it since I sent a email no response wondering if you guys received it and maybe a eta on when I might see it since I am going to Mexico on the 28th would love to take it with me?? The tracking number says you guys got it on the 1st of feb let me know please
ps I need to also know how much the fix Is going to be thanks

fkirons_kayleigh
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Hey gaston I sent my red halo in for a bit of service and haven't heard about it since I sent a email no response wondering if you guys received it and maybe a eta on when I might see it since I am going to Mexico on the 28th would love to take it with me?? The tracking number says you guys got it on the 1st of feb let me know please
ps I need to also know how much the fix Is going to be thanks

Hey Rowdy,
If you can shoot over a PM with your info and I'll get on that for you and give you a bit more information; it's hard to tell much without real names, haha. I think most everything went out in the mail before we left for the Philly and Iowa conventions last week, but anything that's still here is shipping out today. No charge for any servicing though so nothing to worry about there :)

rowdy
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh I got a email today that it's shipping out today I believe no tracking number yet but I will pm you to be sure anyways thanks for the great customer service!!!

chrishess
02-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Got a spektra this weekend in Iowa and this is the first tattoo I did with it. Awesome machine! Was almost effortless and this is a tough spot to tattoo. I'm betting it cut down at least 30-45 min tattoo time. Ink flew in. Can't wait to use it tomorrow!

chris-in-cali
02-12-2013, 10:15 PM
ya....run some t-tech mags with it......fucking runs like a dream.
i find the t-tech actually helps with the give and my B and G game with the 2.5 cam is looking smoother then a baby's ass these days

MR-NME
02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
;)Got my two halos in yesterday and have a 3/4 sleeve I. Going to start tmrw- I can't wait I'm very excited-

rowdy
02-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Ok so got my machine back and have to say besides forgetting to fix the screw for the tube vice. The machine runs great thank you FK irons!!