PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cranker

Fatlad5
06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Just ordered my first Mini Cranker from The Rotary Portal...only knew about Dan's machines after joining this here little 'ol forum....thanks guys :)

Sage Oz
06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
You'll love it for sure.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

skinmech
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh yeah, you will defo love it...What stroke did you go for..P

Fatlad5
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_5/Dan-Kubin-Mini-Cranker.html?shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D5%26
Gonna sound like a dafty here, but I dunno...says in the description that it's adjustable stroke length :/

Sekt
06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
MC is a 1 watt laser phaser =]

skinmech
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Its awrite, it will be a 4mm....Fukn A+ Machine Man.....http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/3546-Dan-Kubin...Cranker-Review....?highlight=cranker+review Have you seen this, done it a while back...;)

Fatlad5
06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Just read your review and the anticipation for its arrival has just trebled, feel like a kid on Xmas eve haha

Deakon
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
It will be set at around 3.5mm as an all rounder. They are adjustable though, I prefer 3.5mm personally as I use mine for everything!

Thanks for your order!

Fatlad5
06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
It will be set at around 3.5mm as an all rounder. They are adjustable though, I prefer 3.5mm personally as I use mine for everything!

Thanks for your order!
Thanks Deakon, an all rounder will be good as I don't know yet what it's job will be :)

thesmokingmirror
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
I have 2 both are at 4.2mm and I have never changed the stroke(yet), it works great for everything even B&G!

peter clements
06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Here's my two ,the left one is 3.5 stroke and the right one 4.00 . They are renowned for line work, but please, if you already haven't,just try one with a needlerunner, the linear action is superb.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/petetatzon/2012_0624V2rotary0202.jpg

thesmokingmirror
06-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah I use needlerunners and a rubberband for small liners and its like a micron :cool:

Fatlad5
06-27-2012, 07:21 AM
ITS ARRIVED, ITS ARRIVED....got it this morning and i have not stopped smiling :) thanks to Dan Kubin for makin it and Deakon from The Rotary Portal for the very fast delivery.11571
Where can i buy the needle runner from? I'm in the UK

Zapp
06-27-2012, 07:25 AM
ITS ARRIVED, ITS ARRIVED....got it this morning and i have not stopped smiling :) thanks to Dan Kubin for makin it and Deakon from The Rotary Portal for the very fast delivery.11571

Congratulation,now you have one of the very best rotarys ! Have fun :-)

skinmech
06-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Pm me yer address and I will send you a dozen needle runners, I thought they were pretty pish to be honest....Just use an elastic band wrapped around the lugs, and don't even bend the needle....P

Fatlad5
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Pm me yer address and I will send you a dozen needle runners, I thought they were pretty pish to be honest....Just use an elastic band wrapped around the lugs, and don't even bend the needle....P
PM sent thanks mate...:)

smiley
06-27-2012, 05:35 PM
hey skinmech my mini cranker has the metal clip instead of the o ring on the drive bar i heard this makes it no give do you recomend i use it this way or opt for the o ring i told dan i was using it for lining and color packing and he sent it with the metal clip so im wondering your opinion . also i see some running bands over the a bar whats up with that

adamfromessex
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
just ordered one from Dan himself, going custom on colour, dude is super helpful, fatlad i'm the same- only this forum taught me about DK's machines, the praises here pointed me his way. not had a good rotary liner yet so waiting for this to change my opinion on them for lining.
also coz i'm a boy n i love my toys (oooo er) ...... direct drives- whats their pro's n con's and feel?

smiley
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
is yours set with o ring or metal washer nevermind just talked to dan all are gunna have a washer clip so they dont slide off. thanks again dan bad ass machine

Fatlad5
06-28-2012, 03:53 AM
just ordered one from Dan himself, going custom on colour, dude is super helpful, fatlad i'm the same- only this forum taught me about DK's machines, the praises here pointed me his way. not had a good rotary liner yet so waiting for this to change my opinion on them for lining.
also coz i'm a boy n i love my toys (oooo er) ...... direct drives- whats their pro's n con's and feel?
I only have one other rotary that I use for lining and that's the bizarre v2 and it's ok but I used the MK for the first time yesterday on a small piece and I was knocked out by how precise it is, takes a coupla lines to get used to tho

skinmech
06-28-2012, 04:33 AM
hey skinmech my mini cranker has the metal clip instead of the o ring on the drive bar i heard this makes it no give do you recomend i use it this way or opt for the o ring i told dan i was using it for lining and color packing and he sent it with the metal clip so im wondering your opinion . also i see some running bands over the a bar whats up with that

IMO, you don't need any give with this machine,doesn't matter if it is for Lining, Shading or Packing, let your volts and hanspeed do all the work..It is "slightly" dampened, but treat it as a no give machine..I think some people run it with bands over the top of the Abar as that is the way they come packed...I removed that band, and run mines with out it..

skinmech
06-28-2012, 04:41 AM
...... direct drives- whats their pro's n con's and feel?

The cranker isn't a Direct Drive, it is a Linear machine (imo) the abar goes straight up and down, which makes for accurate line work, a Direct Drive machine is Cam driven, the cam moves in a circular motion, and the needle bar loop clips onto the cam, so your needles will move in a side to side motion or "wobble"...I can't line with a DDR,but they are great for colour work...Basically you have 3 main groups of Rotaries,
Direct Drive- Mike Metaxa, Old Timer etc
Give System- Swash, Centri etc
No Give System- Rotaryworks, Bazooka etc.
There are variations,adjustable and infinite give and Hybrids, but this is the basic guide I go by.....Long Live No Give...P.;)

Fatlad5
06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
IMO, you don't need any give with this machine,doesn't matter if it is for Lining, Shading or Packing, let your volts and hanspeed do all the work..It is "slightly" dampened, but treat it as a no give machine..I think some people run it with bands over the top of the Abar as that is the way they come packed...I removed that band, and run mines with out it..
you line with no bands and no needle runner? Do you put a bend in the needle bar or at the solder at all?

peter clements
06-28-2012, 05:42 AM
you line with no bands and no needle runner? Do you put a bend in the needle bar or at the solder at all?

I snap on the needlerunner just past halfway towrds the needles,then I put a slight bend between the needle group and the end of the needlerunner. Regarding give-as Paul says there is already a tadge of dampening on these machines, but if you would like a little more simply use a softish peice of silicon tube for your grommet ( look at my photos, the machine on the left ) and then simply use your own hand skills to do the rest.
Regarding hand skills, let's take for instance "Rotaryworks" those machines have no forgiveness at all ,but I have done some very nice B&G with them, once again using a silicon grommet. In fact today my mini Rotaryworks with 2.5 stroke and Maxon motor will arrive today, I just know that's gonna be awesome for B&G.

skinmech
06-28-2012, 06:16 AM

LOL..No I use one band which I attach to the front lugs...I meant I removed the band which goes over the top of the abar....Do what Peter says and you won't go wrong..

thesmokingmirror
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I think the band over the Abar is just the reset position for the band kinda like some people do with coils if they reuse the bands. I watched a few of his videos when I first got mine to make sure he didnt use it this way

adamfromessex
06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
sorry skinmech, i meant as i am looking to pos buy one of DK's direct drives aswell