PDA

View Full Version : help needed on traditional old school

adamfromessex
06-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello guys- i ab love traditional/old school, however coming into the game when old school is "retro", i missed the boat on being taught good clean old school techniques, i started with a lot of late 90's flash(3rl lick em stick em's), and worked up to where i'm at now, doing pieces more new school jap, angelic sleeves, technical drawing stuff.......
but i love old school, so i wanna push my boundaries, i have tried old school pieces before and they look good, but too smart, forgive the arrogance if this how it seems it is not meant that way- those pieces just don't have the old school soul, i just don't understand the "rules" other than the cliche of bold line And shade with black old malarky.

so if you old school boys could please help me out i would really appreciate it.

could you give me ideas of what to "read" (research and look at, i learn a lot from looking/watching)

give me ideas of tools-machines, needles.

references

who are the greats to search for online to see.

and for the life of me instruct the "whip"- close but not there, once again i appreciate how demanding this is but if i could get some help i'd really appreciate it.

i am running an inkjecta specific medium stroke, AWAITING A DK m/c 4MM (SO EXCITED) and good old faithfuls.... 3 mickey sharps, 1 micro, 2 Tdials

many many thanks

artoftatt2
06-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Pick up all the sailor Jerry reference books .. Get your self some watercolors paint.. Paint em 50 percent black and then use only primary colors.. I use a six round brush to line with and a six seven to spit shade.. Traditional tattoos should look completed before the color is put in..

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zghe4x

slicksteel
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
check out mister dan kubin on here ,his tattoo style is classic old school,and he use's rotary and that one you got coming in to do it with. For coils set up a slow long stroke colorpacker with a long bowed timing spring which will make it hit like a beast.Use semi loose textured liners(or carbon steel needles)
and think of your patterns in 2d-flat with a lot of line work while not trying to make it to real.

nivek
06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
get the Spider Murphy flash book its gorgeous, all the sailor jerry you can. The Revisted book and sketchbooks help Chad Koplenger etc...

Check out Jeff Zuck and pretty much anyone at Name Brand. Anonymous Tattoo, Chris Conn, Tony Hundhal, Bert Krak, Mario Desa, Chad Soner, Todd Noble (of course), Chad Kopelenger, Steve Bolts (NY), Juan Puente

Needles I like a loose 5 or 7 for outlines, but you can go bigger etc - there is not really anythng different, any machine can do what you need if its set up right. Its not really a set up thing, more of a how you use it, thing. Unless you can get your hands on a Jeff Zuck machine, I have one that peppers and whips like butter (heavy fucker)

I am NO expert by any means, but the best thing you can do - try stuff. It's amazing how much taking one of the 30 dollar Sailor Jerry acetate books and just do some paintings.

Inkslingers
06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Pick up all the sailor Jerry reference books .. Get your self some watercolors paint.. Paint em 50 percent black and then use only primary colors.. I use a six round brush to line with and a six seven to spit shade.. Traditional tattoos should look completed before the color is put in..

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zghe4x

Bingo! Cap Coleman use to say that "when the black is done, the tattoo is done" He of course meant that the tattoo should be able to stand on it's own, then and down the road

adamfromessex
06-30-2012, 07:27 PM
thank you guys, just bought a load of sailor jerry. thank you. and cheers on the references, appreciated

MAD DOG
06-30-2012, 08:09 PM
You can pretty much mix just about everything most of these artist mentioned in one bowl and youve got it made . Yup 35 years ago it was 5 & 8 loose liners , and 4 , 6 , 8 flats (not mags) primary colors , and basic blends (orange , green , purple , brown) + black , and grey was a color not a wash ! Lol . Keep it simple , and pack the color .....its smooth sailing from there . It would be nice if more people around where im at could appreciate the old school stuff .....its just not done enough anymore .....just remembering old times i guess . Lmao !

adamfromessex
07-01-2012, 03:46 PM
thank you guys-bought a load of paint supplies-took all in what you's said. will persue it deeper still. thanks

adamfromessex
07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
11795 picked up a sailor jerry stencil book, used and modified an outline, just for shits and giggles, pumped up from the UFC and inspired lol. learnt a lot but posting this to get pointers, i listened to all that was said but wanna hear what i didn't do/ignored please, i opted for acrylics on this tho- just as can use neat and diluted like water colours. wasn't being pretentious signing it- wanted opportunity to use the brush at smalliest opportunity, and wanted to track my progress