PDA

View Full Version : first rotary, lots of questions.

briandicola
01-25-2011, 02:45 AM
i have piles of questions about rotaries and techniques. after years of learning the ins and outs to coil machines i feel like im starting from scratch, and i dont work with anyone who knows anything about em. so any feedback i can get would be really appreciated.

i understand the concept of short and long stroke. i have a can rotary ive been using for more or a traditional approach, so far im diggin it. when it comes to lining with them, doing soft black and grey, or soft color blending while still packing solid color; what in the machine itself would u look for to find a machines specific strength. with a coil machine spring tension, stroke, coil wrap and geometry make these differences. to utilize these machines for their full capacity what am i looking for in all the different styles and mechanics?

i understand its alot of opinions, and ill take what i can get. but its the mechanics and geometry(?) i guess and what make sets a can apart from a swash.

sorry for the long winded rant, i appreciate the feedback.

slicksteel
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I think any machine with give and no needle clip/Tensioner tends to work better for bolder line work and as it lets the needles wobble and stay in the skin abit like a coil.No give machines are really good for accurate line work tho were the line comes out true to the used needle grouping.I feel give machines are a bit more forgiving and have a shorter learning curve.But no give machines can produce a much smoother shade/blend but it takes longer to master as you have to learn proper depth and technique.
Now you have direct drive,linear, and swashing motion machines. To me a swashing machine is great for a free flowing brush style. A direct drive is great at bold color work and a linear is kind of mult purpose. I think it would be best to buy what ever style you like,master it then move on to the next. A adjustable linear would prob be the most versatile at you could lock it down like a Neo or bishop or adjust it midrage a bit to run like a Rapier.
This is just my thaughts but hope it helps!

tattooedpirate2
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
We will be at the Philadelphia Tattoo Convention Feb. 4 5 6 Come by the booth we are doing DEMOS on all our machines and can show you the ins and outs of several Rotaries and how to use them. Contact us at 757-407-7336 till 11PM The Pirate