PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Works Machine Review

Alie K
01-26-2011, 01:27 AM
K, so I wanted to try a few more tattoos using this machine before I wrote about it, but I just can't wait any longer - I really like this machine!

I acquired a Rotary Works tattoo machine just after Christmas. WOW! Talk about awesome! I got the brass one.

It arrived safe and sound in a sturdy plastic box.

The first thing I noticed was the weight. It really felt nice and solid. Since I was home from work the day it arrived, I had to wait until I could try it out. BOOO!

I finally got to plug it in the next day. I was told that it ran between 2 and 5 volts. Plugged it in and yes - even at 3 volts, it was moving pretty fast.

So far, I've done black and grey with it:

http://www.rotarytattoo.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168&d=1295162066

Used some 25 mags to do the elephant - no problem at all.

I also used it for coloring:

http://www.rotarytattoo.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1091&d=1294715981

Used mainly an 11 mag for this one. Again, so easy to work with. For both pieces, I found that 2.5 - 2.8volts seemed to be my sweet spot (I recently purchased an eikon400 supply, so going up or down in very small increments is really easy).

I haven't had a chance to try it out for lining, but I feel that will be a no-brainer as well. All in all, I'm so happy with this machine. Dale makes a great product. I am considering buying another when business picks up again in the summer!

slicksteel
01-26-2011, 12:41 PM
on That note maybe i will keep mine! Broke it in for half an hour but have not used it yet.It does have a bit of weight but is very balanced.I am sure this extra weight will help with big mags as i notice to light of a machine-more work on the old hands!

The Limey
01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice review Alie, I have a brass Rotary Works also and will be getting one of Dales limited edition ones to add to my collection later in the year.

rotaryworks
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
wow many thanks for all your comments its good to hear feedback i,m glade you like them many thanks dale

inked
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Gr8 review Alie, my sentiments are exact! i got the mixed metal rotary works , and I'm really in love with it. Dale's machine runs so smooth and consistent at very low volts. i was using a 11 round mag with impressive results too. i even did outlining using a 7RL with no problems at all. i was so skeptical as to line with with a rotary at first! but with this machine, it just goes like like butter and does not pick in the skin nor gets stuck in it while doing lining. its just one pass. thank goodness for the weight and pricing!

On a side note : the machine legs for the clipcord its kinda weak when using high tension clipcord. i even change to the softer spring clipcord when using this machine. Overall , i will still get more rotary works to add to my current lineup! good machine nevertheless

Alie K
01-30-2011, 02:11 AM
I used it to line with today - nice and easy!

Glen-P
01-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Great to hear! Can't wait to get mine now even more!

frankenstyle
01-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Alie, what volts were u lining with? I love my rotary works!!

The Limey
01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Alie, what volts were u lining with? I love my rotary works!!

2.6 volts works wonders with a 7rl for me.

Alie K
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I used 3 volts.

Glen-P
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
WOOT WOOT! I just got my Rotary Works in the mail today! Thanks again to SlickSteel! Super smooth transaction!. Nice looking Machine!! Can't wait to use it!! Pics and comments Tomorrow!

Alie K
02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Just be careful if you are switching from one machine to another! Dale's machine runs really fast at just 3 volts! You don't want to switch from that swash at 8 volts to Dale's - that thing will take off on you!

Glen-P
02-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Lol! Thanks for the heads up Alie! All I pictured there fir a second was a big "rooster tail" of skin coming up from behind the machine!

Administrator
02-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Lol! Thanks for the heads up Alie! All I pictured there fir a second was a big "rooster tail" of skin coming up from behind the machine!

Glen you need to make an illustration of this visual! :D

gangstajay
02-08-2011, 12:31 AM
yes..what she said.. it will scare the shit out of you

02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Got mine 2 weeks ago, and like it alot. Probably done ALL shading since with it. I run it a bit faster 3,4(color) 3,6-4,2(grey), but thats what i do with any machine. My alltime fave coilshader was a cutback liner.
Even thou, not my first rotary, this was the one machine who made me start liking rotaries. I can work almost as with a coilmachine, but faster. Singlepass shading is something i earlier only dreamed about, now its reality. Better raise the hour rate.
Only downside, its low volts. I will never stop using coilmachines for lines(it would take the fun out of it), and those are around 8-9 volts, and i always forget.
A tip, to stop your grommet from being eaten into the "house" put a plastic or brass washer between.

Last, Dale seems to be a great guy, no attitude, just worlds best rotaries for a great price.

Rattus
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
What's the weight of one of these?

Administrator
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Depends on what Dale makes them out of. I am sure he will pop on and post the answer shortly. I will shoot him the link over facebook.

rotaryworks
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
they are around 5/6 ounces in weight if that helps

Rattus
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
they are around 5/6 ounces in weight if that helps

Yes it does. Thank you.

slicksteel
02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
they are very well balanced at that weight.

Rattus
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Good to hear these reviews.
Yeah, RW is on my list of future buys.

johanntattoo
04-28-2011, 02:51 AM
another thumbs up for dale's handiwork.
I managed to snag a sayagata machine off of him when it came back in stock. I'm glad I held out and paid a bit more, the machine is beautiful. the finish is clean with no sharp edges in the machining.

Used it all day today and yesterday and it performs flawlessly and quietly to boot. I'm positive it is the quietest rotary I own. All in all, highly recommended and shipped from england to my doorstep in NY only took a week!

peter clements
04-28-2011, 07:13 AM
another thumbs up for dale's handiwork.
I managed to snag a sayagata machine off of him when it came back in stock. I'm glad I held out and paid a bit more, the machine is beautiful. the finish is clean with no sharp edges in the machining.

Used it all day today and yesterday and it performs flawlessly and quietly to boot. I'm positive it is the quietest rotary I own. All in all, highly recommended and shipped from england to my doorstep in NY only took a week!

Post some pictures of the machine :)

C.Anthon
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
do these machines have any give to them? Or are they more the traditional direct drive type of deal?

hendricksonart.com
06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
a week to newyork so probably another 5 days to ca, cant wait

hendricksonart.com
06-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Finally got mine today super super nice. It looked so simple from the photos that for some reason i thought it would look cheap in person. The machine is super well made really quite and all the tolerances seem really good. Probably the best buy of any rotary.

stickboie
06-25-2011, 11:53 AM
just ordered one last week. cant wait to get it!!!! super nice guy.

JCarlton
06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
I received my machine about a month ago and have used it just about everyday with one grouping or another since then. The machine is very well balanced and the motor is extremely powerful. ( I often forget as well when switching from my Bishop or coils and its pretty funny to see the clients face when it screams at 8 volts!)
I just did an armpit today and used it with a 25 mag and never had a problem. Solid machine, and great customer service.

gangstajay
06-27-2011, 12:04 AM
I received my machine about a month ago and have used it just about everyday with one grouping or another since then. The machine is very well balanced and the motor is extremely powerful. ( I often forget as well when switching from my Bishop or coils and its pretty funny to see the clients face when it screams at 8 volts!)
I just did an armpit today and used it with a 25 mag and never had a problem. Solid machine, and great customer service.
oh yeah...you are liking the rotary works..very nice machine I have 3 of them....I use them to outline,color bk and grey very good all around machine..and they push those big mags very well/// so what the deal with the rotary you were working on??

JCarlton
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Still working on it, I don't just want to rehash whats already been done. Hopefully this year.

Dreviltattoo
06-28-2011, 12:02 AM
did you use the waverly dark black ink on that elephant?

Alie K
06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
did you use the waverly dark black ink on that elephant?

If you're referring to me, yes I used waverly dark black on an elephant back tattoo.

stickboie
06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Just got mine today. very smooth machine. super quite. im siked!

gangstajay
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Still working on it, I don't just want to rehash whats already been done. Hopefully this year.
well by the pic of it I seen, its doesnt look like anyone else's. as a consumer and artist please make it affordable the Neo tat, RW, bishop all very good machine and are affordable..hell even the workhorse rotary is affordable., So when you getting on my dome.. I have a nice space for you(wink)

gamera55
07-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Just ordered mine very excited to try it out!

Tat2dPinoy
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
what is the best way to see the Rotary Works current inventory/options and order? Contact him through Facebook?

Administrator
07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
That is the fastest way to get Dale's attention.

gangstajay
07-22-2011, 12:19 AM
what is the best way to see the Rotary Works current inventory/options and order? Contact him through Facebook?

yep hit him on face book.tell him your from the forum

yayoh
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I do my first tattoo whit my RotaryWorks. I use 13 mag and 3 roud line. I like this machine.34483449

gamera55
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Question just got mine today Im using a critical power supply and after about 5 minutes it stopped running any helpful hints is it the power supply or ?

rotaryworks
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
first get a hammer just in case .....if your useing top hat grommit they rub on the guide and stop machine thats if it is that so i use paper towel just fold twice i use a critical so i know its not power sup ...have you oiled it checked no rubbing anywhere .....mm thats all can go wrong ...if none of those lets use the hammer that always works lol lol ......try that if dont work send him back to me i send new one out to you soon as you like

Administrator
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Also which critical power supply are you using?

The Limey
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
If you like using rubber grommets you can put a non conductive (fiber?) washer on the armature first which will stop the grommet getting hot and slowing/stopping the machine.

gamera55
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
awesome thanks everyone it was the grommet so I guess I dont need the hammer lol and I love the machine runs super smooth lined a half sleeve with it today no probs at all after the grommet ordeal ;) Cant wait to use it for some coloring tomorrow and I use a cx1 thanks again

yayoh
08-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Another way is use thread whit superglue, turn around and fix it whit superglue. 38423843

hendricksonart.com
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
This machine works great with the needle runners, I throw a little Vaseline on the needle where the the runner is going it makes it snap on easier then I put Vaseline on the needle runner. makes it slide up and down easier. The Runner bands dont seem to have a good spot to sit on this thing.

rotaryworks
09-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello all I have been getting a few emails asking if I still sell the plain brass machine ,,,,,to let you all know I have not stop selling this machine it's my main machine I sell ....just to let any one know who is thinking this many thanks dale

Sarenity Tattoo
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
is there a "give" effect on this machine, and how much is the cost?