PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Swiss review

Bruce Gulick
07-29-2012, 04:17 PM

A couple weeks ago Friction offered me a Diablo rotary machine in return for writing an honest review here and on facebook and I accepted. I was super surprised to receive both versions of the Diablo and also the new adjustable Storm..I was leaving for an east coast tattooing trip so I would have a chance to try them out. Danny Matlock took the Diablo Kami (same basic machine with a Japanese motor)..he's going to have a review of that one up soon, and I'll do another for the Storm A 250.

I already use two regular Storms with Danny's mod and I love the hell out of them..as I've said before they would be more than enough to have a tattoo career with-and it's tricky to review another machine when that's your state of mind. And if you've used a variety of rotaries you're bound to see the merits of having a few types, so for the sake of this review I'm not going to mention other machines that the Diablo has similarities to, and judge it on its own merits. If I had only ever used coil machines and the Diablo Swiss was handed to me, this is what I'd write:

This thing is sexy. It's got the look of an all-business machine..there's nothing superfluous or random, nothing added to make it look modern or retro or flashy or anything, but somehow it does manage to look all those things. There's subtle design touches like the small fins that protrude from the back of the motor housing, or the mirror-image design of the "give" chamber and tube vise supports..if you fuzz your eyes you can certainly see the "Diablo" they're referring to. It's clean and snappy.

It has a red finish that reminds me of the way speedboats looked in the 70s..fast and no-nonsense. Every part of it has an immediately apparent function, and that's very appealing. It feels like you could drop it and it would be fine.

The Diablo weighs 3.5 oz. which seems like close to the perfect weight for me, and balances well with disposable tubes. When I set up the machine and hold it by the tube it just feels right..not top-heavy like with coils, more like a precision engraving tool.

The triangular metal knob on the tube vise is easy to clean (not too many nooks and crannies though I wish the front was also a smooth surface). The triangle makes it easy to grasp between your thumb and first two fingers. and it has a very solid feel with no plastic parts.

The needle bar tensioner works exactly as it appears to work, the screw itself is all metal and the tensioner arm is plastic..it has a small rubber wheel that starts to spin with the needle bar as you apply pressure via the screw. An elegant and *ahem* popular solution to what I consider to be a non-problem. I have never minded using rubber bands and luckily that's still an option on the Diablo. (More on this later..)

There is a RCA connection in the back, set exactly in the middle of the motor housing..an RCA cable is included if you need one.

There is a "give" system in the standard spring-in-chamber adjustable style. A hex nut connects a silver give knob..turn clockwise for less give (but not all the way or the piston can't move and the motor won't run..not sure if that does damage to the motor but it can't be a good thing). Turn it counter-clockwise for more and more give. All the way out and I'm pretty sure it won't leave a mark in skin, all the way in and it's an absolute beast.

The knob has three recessed grooves..I imagine these are to give it some "grip" but it's still pretty smooth. I'd prefer a knob with a few protruding ridges, especially when it's inside a machine bag and you're trying to turn it just exactly 1/4 turn with vaseline on your gloves. Or for that matter the same triangle that's on the tube vice. Luckily I don't tend to adjust it much once the machines are set up..if it's set up as a liner I back off about 1/2 a turn and leave it there. Coloring maybe a turn and a half. Grey shading maybe two turns. Beyond that it's technique, I think.."infinite adjustability" sounds better than it is in practice, but it is nice to have options.

The motor is a Maxon 12000 RPM beast. At 8 volts it absolutely hums, at 7 it cruises, and at 6 it whispers. I tend to use it at 8 for lining, 7.5 or so for thicker pigments, and 6.8-7.5 for thinner pigments and washes. Of course that's all dependent on the task at hand!

The Diablo has a 3.5 mm stroke, which again just feels right for most tasks. I don't mind a 4 mm stroke but in practice 3.5 is just dandy.

Which brings me to the fun part: how it feels when tattooing. In short it feels like an art tool. It does that "disappearing act" I love so much..when I'm tattooing I stop noticing the machine and I can just focus on making good tattoos. When I'm lining with it I used mostly bugpin 7 rounds and it let me make whisper-fine lines effortlessly. I used a regular 7 round it the lines were bold and crisp like a micron pen. It is a precision liner, without a doubt.

It is also a precision shader..I use mainly bugpin 15 magnums and the Diablo pushed them with ease..I can get good saturation color in a single pass and it still looks "painterly"..I have enough precision with the Diablo that I find myself drawing with it, even with a magnum. Again, it feels like an art tool. This is a Very Good Thing.

I use around 3-4 machines every session so it's hard to say if there's a difference in heal times vs other machines..though the difference between rotaries and coils is *amazing*. People have been overjoyed with how fast their new stuff is healing. More precision equals less pain and less trauma and it shows in the finished product.

Several clients also noticed the Diablo and mentioned how cool it looks..I had to agree! This may be a small consideration but I think it's important that clients notice and care about stuff like that. Especially in long term veterans that had ten plus years of coil abuse..they are so happy that the game has been upped!

If I had any complaints or concerns they would be few. I've used the Diablo with disposable tubes from Friction, Lucky Supply, Unimax, and Tatsoul and they all worked fine with the tensioner, though with Wrath tubes it's *very* close. Like, half a credit card between the top of the tube and the tensioner wheel. When that's the case it's easy enough to throw some rubber bands on and go, so it's no problem but it was kind of eyebrow-raising the first time. The adjuster knob could use a little more grip. It's a little louder than my other rotaries, but that's no doubt the 12000 RPM motor..it has a little vibration but with a soft grip disposable I don't notice it. That's about it.

The Diablo is a killer machine at a very good price. $400 can be made back in a single tattoo session and if you wanted it to be your only machine you could. It is super solidly built, runs like the wind, and it's easy on the eyes and hands.

Originality: 7/10 While it's a bold design there's nothing functionally new here..it's similar to quite a few (more expensive) machines and comparisons to the Dragonfly and Tattooed Pirate machines are inevitable. It is far from a clone, though.

Look: 9/10 Stylish and smooth

Feel: 9/10 Feels great tattooing, very much like a paintbrush and not at all like a jackhammer.

Sound: 8/10 Louder than my other rotaries but not annoying at all.

Value: 10/10 I'd say $400 is an absolute steal for a tool of this quality.

Durability: 9/10 Solid and well-manufactured..precision all the way through.

Longevity:________ I'll leave this blank for now but there's no reason to think it would wear out faster than any other machine..when it does I'll post its death date. Don't hold your breath.

slicksteel
07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
are those cast frames are machined?

Sage Oz
07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Nice review. Looks like a soli, well designed machine.

No Iron Machines
07-29-2012, 06:12 PM
the FRAME are mold injection...

Soldier Soul Tattoo
11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I received my diablo swiss and have used it on a couple of tattooos so far. It is very well balanced and the adjustable give makes this machine an incredibly versatile tool. I look forward to using this machine in the future as one of my mainstays. I like it so much, I may buy a couple more just to make sure I have one to back up the one I have. The more I use it, the more I like it, and it is well worth every nickel of the $400 price tag.

Nedz
11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Why would you just not spend 450 dollars on a dragon fly.

Soldier Soul Tattoo
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
a dragonfly for $450? Last place I looked at dragonflys wanted either $650 or $625...

http://www.nationaltattoo.com/category-s/1827.htm

OwlsDen
11-06-2012, 02:26 PM
You can find one used for 400-450$ pretty easily.

Soldier Soul Tattoo
11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
If I am going to spend the money, it's not going to be for something used that someone else didn't like...JMO

Nedz
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
But basically this machine is a rip off of the dragon fly only under friction's banner same as the storm is a stealth so when they start making other copies are you asking us to support them. I have dealt with friction and I found them to be a reputable company but I am sure there was a thread here complaining about the storm. You would not spend your money on a Chinese copy of a dragon fly but you are willing to spend it on a knock just the same. Also taking a machine as payment for your review smacks a bit of prostitution your just saying to people send me your machines for free and I will write you a glowing review as payment.

Dragon fly put no patents on their machine so the market is wide open for abuse and there are at least 5 clone machines on the market at the moment none of the have improved on the design just changed the style of the body.

Wonderland
11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I will say you did a good review. I'm still not gonna buy a diablo because I personally try not to buy mass market machines. Hope the machine does well for you though.

vodu
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't know... I'm not convinced by this machine...

Sent by the Devil using a vessel, one galaxy S2 and tapatalk 2

Soldier Soul Tattoo
11-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Vodu have you used this machine? It is quite a versatile machine. I don't play the game of "if it ain't made by my buddy in his garage...I won't use it" game. If it works as they claim, and it's legit...then why not give it it's due? I have been in this industry since 1996...and I have always been amazed by the opinions of those who tend to base their opinions on "old school" idealism or it's my way or the highway game. The truth is...if you find a tool in this craft that makes what you do more enjoyable or even just a little bit better...then why wouldn't you use it? The Chinese ripoffs are just that. Scratchers will buy them and there is nothing we can do to change that. But the machine we are talking about here is its own design ...call it a fly copy...I don't buy that...it's working great for me and I would buy a dozen more of them before I would buy a fly...which isn't American made either.

vodu
11-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Don't get me wrong mate, really, I'll explain first how do I have any information before I buy any machine in the market... Of course, I have the information on the forum, but rotaries in Brazil is very scarce so I can't count on a buddy's machine to do a trial before I buy anything... Hard to say any machine i buy need to came here by trip and not by mail because the brazilian "FDA" don't allow machines to be imported, and i don't know why. When it arrives it costs 3-4 times in big mac currency here. So, what I rely to buy my machines without a test drive? Trial and error and research of artist works, testimonials, videos, anything... I can't afford buy a machine just for try, because I can't sell to another artist if i know what i have in my hands is a bad product. I know the money he's spending is hard work money and i can't do this. But i can't stay with this in my hand either. So, I'm not saying this machine is bad, but, I don't have enough knowledge to trust this is gonna be a good investment. By the way I'm not crying about anything here, it's just the way life is, so I just keep walking, lol:) see ya

Vinoshitto
11-07-2012, 02:39 PM
haha.. whut!?.. They stop all imports of tattoo machines to Brazil..!!?? I dont know HOW retarded that really is..!? The government there really hates scratchers?
why?..

I guess then it is easier for you to rely on national custom builders..

Anyway. nice review.. however, if it was me, I think that I would've had a problem doing a honest review of a machines, if I was given the very same machine as payment for that review. Nom sain?
But that's just me.. nom sain nom sain..

And sooner or later I most likely buy that one any how. Gotta catch em all, as they say... or is that just when it comes to STDs? :/

vodu
11-07-2012, 03:23 PM
haha.. whut!?.. They stop all imports of tattoo machines to Brazil..!!?? I dont know HOW retarded that really is..!? The government there really hates scratchers?
why?..

I guess then it is easier for you to rely on national custom builders..

Anyway. nice review.. however, if it was me, I think that I would've had a problem doing a honest review of a machines, if I was given the very same machine as payment for that review. Nom sain?
But that's just me.. nom sain nom sain..

And sooner or later I most likely buy that one any how. Gotta catch em all, as they say... or is that just when it comes to STDs? :/

No, believe or not they donīt hate scratchers...because any crap from china still arriving here...dragonfly knock offs, ow my... but when I tried to import a Spektra they send away without even explain shit to me.The biggest problem is corruption and brazilian tattoo industry...enough said...basically i refuse to buy a single needle from here.

Nedz
11-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I heard recently that the only ink to be used in Brazil is Electric Ink and the makers have tied it up so its backed by the government the same company also produces a dragon fly clone, is this true?

vodu
11-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes, it is true. Now some other makers (one-Polaco, great guy) could have the huge amount of money to start a ink factory too and start to stop the monopoly of E. I.

Bruce Gulick
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
"Also taking a machine as payment for your review smacks a bit of prostitution your just saying to people send me your machines for free and I will write you a glowing review as payment."

Whoa there homie. Are you suggesting I was not honest in my review, or that if I found the machine to be a piece of shit, or even lacking in any way that I would fail to mention it in my review? Because that's a pretty serious accusation. The reason they asked me to do the review is that my reputation is airtight. My work speaks for itself and I don't bullshit. They sent me the machine because they *knew* it was a good machine, and they were correct.

So if you have any evidence that I am not a man of my word, or that I lied, or that I took advantage of someone, or what the fuck ever, go ahead and offer it up. Especially if you are going to call me a whore.

Anyone else have a machine that you want an honest review of? Step up to the plate! Send it to me and I'll try it out, and if it's great I will say so in a clear and well-written review, and send you the machine back if you want. If it sucks I'll just send it back, but I'll keep the comments between us unless you ask me to post them. If you say keep the machine I'll say thanks and keep it. $400 worth of machine sounds about right for 20 hours of product testing and a couple hours of writing, but I can guarantee it's not enough to buy my fucking integrity.

sleezy23
11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
i have a diablo kami. japan motor. 250$... bad little bits.... might be a knockoff but its a well done knock off... IMO theres like 4 or 5 original rotaries and the rest are spin offs. as long as you make it your own then screw it huh? nice machine, great price. for anyone who cant do 650$

chris-in-cali
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
wait a minute.....you said the only ink that can be used in the entire country of Brazil is electric ink???

Nedz
11-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok I am up for that when I release my MR03 next year I will send you one and you can give me and the forum your honest review.

Nedz
11-10-2012, 11:12 AM
wait a minute.....you said the only ink that can be used in the entire country of Brazil is electric ink???
This is what I was told by the company selling Electric Ink at the London tattoo convention, their ink in now the only ink to be used legally in Brazil. Sorry for the side line on this other subject.

vodu
11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
In the paper basically yes.because there's a lot like me who's buying behind the scenes. If electric ink was the last ink on planet i prefer to tattoo with a ink made with ashes from my own eye than buy from that company. All the supplys if you google "tintas tatuagem venda" you'll see only electric ink to sell

vodu
11-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Basically the guy fucked up big time with brazilian artists and self proclaimed as some kind of tattoo-supply-hero. The newbies acclaimed this crap but anyone who worked at least 10 years hate in the guts this guy

Kazpyr
10-03-2013, 05:22 PM
the machines are junk. The company sucks as well!! friction claims they make these as well but after they sent me two broken ones they said ow well we cant get you more for over a month. Company is a joke!!

FTW
10-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I bought a kami model when they were first introduced and it was a very strong machine, so i ended up ordering another...long story short i returned 2 of them as they did not run near as strong as the 1st one i bought and still use for b&g , I ended up upgrading to the the maxon powered long stroke machine..its now my go to liner..pushes what ever you need and lines like butter and can put in big fat lines with an 8 round, first rotary i could throw down lines like a coil.
I use tat-soul for every thing else but the maxon powered units are good machines that work as intended for a decent price. My opinion your welcome to yours

cagelavey
10-03-2013, 06:54 PM
i agree ftw, the maxon is a good machine, cant comment on the other as i have not had or used one.

Neo
10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I think there just china machines and they put the word diablo on them for friction. I think this because they have the same rotarys on ebay without the name and i was messing with a china company and they said if i bought 5 machines they could put whatever name i wanted on them. The tension device is always a way to tell cause they all seem the same on most china rotarys. I would bet there the same with the same crap quality parts. My opinion........... To anyone thinking of buying one i say , just buy a Spektra Halo and be done with it, highest quality and backed by one of the best builders alive ( Gaston.).

cagelavey
10-03-2013, 08:59 PM
that's just speculation, if that were true you could say the same about, the halo knock off, bishop, dragonfly, stigma, etc. if you don't have one you don't know. i did and they're not so that's all i got to say.

peezie
10-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Diablo machine parts except the swiss motor version (and I do mean just the motor) are made in china and assembled in the USA. If you look on friction's sight you'll see it specifically says assembled in America. I don't consider it an actual knockoff though. I personally have never and would never support friction tattoo supply for my own reasons though.

cagelavey
10-04-2013, 02:27 AM
i don't know any thing about friction as a company as i have only ever bought just the one maxon diablo and everything else from other companies. and i don't know anything about were they acquired the parts for the diablo. i just know how it works, feels, and looks from using it. that's all. it was just a decent machine for me. that's all i can say