PDA

View Full Version : stigma bizarre v2, hyper v3 or the dragonfly?

scuff
07-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys,
Well just to let you know I'm new to this forum and I am looking for some advice,
I've been in this industry now for a long time, since 1982 so you can guess I'm an old donkey now.... After all this time I thought I'd give the rotary a go so after researching the idea on the net I've decided on three= The stigma bizarre v2 the hyper v3 or the dragonfly? For mainly B/G shading or Colour.

1, First what is the general opinion on these machines?
2, Have I made the right choice?
3, And what machine would perform the best for my requirements?

Hope you Guys can help as it feels like I'm in the middle of a mine field at the moment.
Any thoughts or views on this will be very much appreciated.
Scuff....

slicksteel
07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I would say for those 3 the bizarre is the best allrounder. fast yet high torque motor to line,can hit soft to hard for shade or pack.

BIG ROOS
07-30-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd say the dragonfly is best for b&g its light and fast and soft, the stigmas are great for color packing and lining with large liners like 9's or 11's and pack color. That's just my experience. I only use rotaries for lining and B&G. I my iron workhorse for color hammering.

Brian Russell
07-30-2012, 01:02 AM
The bizarre with the short stroke excenter is my go-to for b&g. I prefer the weight and balance of it just a bit over the dragonfly. Sometimes a bit of weight helps I think. Both great machines, don't think you would regret either one.

spoonertattoos
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
I just got the v3, and in a matter of two tattoos it has moved to the top of the food chain for black and grey. I have also tried over 15 machines for lining and the hyper is the only one that I like better than coils. Infact I have boight two v2's and one v3 in the past month !

in all fairness I havent tried the bizzar or dragonfly. All in all you have narrowed it down to some of the best few machines in the industry.

The Limey
07-30-2012, 04:23 AM
I'd be inclined to add the Spektra to that list too, I don't own one but, its getting some damn good reviews and falls in the same price bracket.

From your list I've only used the dragonfly and its a great B&G machine. I absolutely HATE it for lining even with zero give but, I think (as with any machine) that's in part related to individual style and technique and not a fault of the machine as there are loads of people getting amazing results with them.

Sage Oz
07-30-2012, 06:50 AM
I've used a short stroke dragonfly and loved it for BnG shading, really nice to work with, and a Hyper2 which is great for color blending, both are well built machines; the DFly is light and has an elegant smooth polished sculpted and minimal feel. the hyper is solid and industrial though the H3 looks more refined and adjustable and maybe a bit lighter than the H2. The hyper2 I felt had a lot of extra frame material, but you could run it over with a truck and it'd still run. The other main hang ups I had about the H2(set screw vise and no tensioner) were fixed in the H3, so I'd be inclined to try the H3. But that said it'd be real hard to count out the Halo, it is amazing and works so very, very well at everything and it's extremely solid for its minimalism. Nothing extraneous, just form and function in a perfect marriage. If I was just getting into electric rotaries I'd buy a few halos and all the different exicenters and that'd be take care of my daily drivers.

turnrock
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
All 3 are great machines. i got rid of my bizarre because i didnt like the balance of weight but if your coming from coils its going to feel light as a feather to you.Hyper imo is the best out of the 3 but you cant go wrong with any of those.

asA
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I can agree with sage on the spektras being amazing and shouldn't be counted out of the list. My spektras get way more use than my dragonflys... Although I just bought a hyper v3 should be here tomorrow. And I didn't like the bizaar v2 very much one of the few machines I traded away.

Barren
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
i use a dragonfly, hyper v2 and bizarre v2 daily and there all top end machines i would recommend the hyper for BnG altho i only have experience with the v2, have you had a chance to get hands on with any of them ? i know its a pain but i harrass the crap outta vendors at conventions you might just find that one feels right, i would also suggest taking a look at some cheaper in price but defo not in quality machines like the dan kubin mini kranker , a rw or a nicks,

puffreis
07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
if you come from coils, try the dragonfly long stroke or the sunskin primus. they are both on the slower side, running good at somewhere around 95 to 105 hz. sunskin is a bit heavier but comes closest to coils. the dragonfly is lighter ( good if you use disposable grips). i love both machines for bg and lining. dragonfly is a tiny bit better for coloring. both machines are low vibrating, low noise . the bizarre v2 was way to fast and soft for my liking. sold it after 1 month tried both, the medium and the long stroke excenter. did this tattoo exclusively with dragonflys in two hours . 12211

Tullin
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
+1 on the Primus, I've worked almost exclusively with my Hypers(v2 and V3) but can now say that my primus is a true joy for both shading and packing.

Sincorazon
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
if you come from coils, try the dragonfly long stroke or the sunskin primus. they are both on the slower side, running good at somewhere around 95 to 105 hz. sunskin is a bit heavier but comes closest to coils. the dragonfly is lighter ( good if you use disposable grips). i love both machines for bg and lining. dragonfly is a tiny bit better for coloring. both machines are low vibrating, low noise . the bizarre v2 was way to fast and soft for my liking. sold it after 1 month tried both, the medium and the long stroke excenter. did this tattoo exclusively with dragonflys in two hours . 12211
I fucking love that tattoo! I have a thing for bull terriers and that is a beautiful tattoo!

ckjr
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Haven't used the v3 yet, but I love the hyper V2s for everything. I'm currently in the process of gathering up every V2 available.

scuff
08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice Tattoo Puffreis!
Thanks for the advice man, I'll keep this in mind...
All the best.
Scuff.

scuff
08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey Guys...
Just like to thank you all for the advice and the time out to reply to this post,
I should be deciding in a couple of weeks what I'm buying so I'll keep you all informed and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again guys.
All the best.
Scuff.

smeeth
09-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Sorry to but in man but that bully tattoo is rad!!!! Looks just like my dog!!

Aramis77
05-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I was in the same boat at you Skuff. Been tattooing for 13 years and finally made the switch! Definitely say my Spektra Halo is hands down the best B&G rotary for me so far! Was smooth gradients with an easy turn of the knob to smooth out the peppering and yes my V3 is great at it too but I use my V3 primarily for lining and color work. But if you do tight technical work then the V3 is great for those small rounds for getting at those small corners and textures! Good luck on your endeavors and welcome to the addiction!