PDA

View Full Version : "Shouting" (ALL CAPS) in threads

Alie K
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
So... I've gotten a few Private Messages from members asking if I could remind people of the no shouting rule. Sure, for some people, hitting the caps lock key makes it easier to type, as they don't have to think about which letters to capitalize - "Typing Cruise Control" - if you will.

For the majority of people however, messages and threads typed in ALL CAPS can be difficult to read, and it appears that someone is shouting.

I don't want to be a jerk and deliver infractions to members' accounts, nor do I want to give forum 'time-outs' or suspensions for something like this either. So, I asked my tech advisor to help me change one of the settings which will disable a message being typed in all capital letters.

See, guys? You ask, you get! (At least I try to deliver when I am able - and this was not a difficult feat). So, if you are a CAPS LOCK LUVR, sorry. You'll either have to type in all lower case letters, use capitals at the beginning of sentances, or deal with your 'all caps' messages being auto-corrected to lower case.

I know that some forums will give you an error if you type in all caps, and not let you post, but I tested ours, and it appears to simply auto-correct. Thankfully, it won't (or shouldn't) piss anyone off.

Thanks for being here, thanks for reading, and if you have problems with the forum, please let one of the staff know, as we are more than happy to help you out!

-Alie

P.S. I have allowed caps lock on a limited number of characters, as I realize that some words such as USA, USB, RCA and DARN should be able to be capitalized. ;)

Administrator
01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
The throttle is set to 5 characters. You should still be able to emphasize simple cuss words in CAPS if you wish.

merky
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Fuc- yes............good deal

merky
01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
It works cuss this was in all caps......

gangstajay
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
SHIT!!! did it work..lol

tattoosbybill
02-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Yesterday I mistakenly typed in all caps and not only did it let me post, you sent me a message asking me not to do that any more I do apologize I had no clue......but I'm not sure if the auto correct is working properly and just thought you want to know in case there is a problem

Alie K
02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks, Bill, I'll have the Administrator check it out!

gravyray
02-19-2011, 11:39 PM
really??

Alie K
02-21-2011, 12:28 AM
really??

Yeah, really! I signed in one day and was surprised to find SIX messages! Five were from people asking if I could please put an end to the 'yelling'.

gravyray
02-22-2011, 01:53 AM
i jus cant understand it. i mean .........well.......its jus reading. one way the letters are small , the other they're big. i guees its the only way to tell context or intent with a typed conversation on some level. maybe i jus got bigger problems????

The Limey
02-22-2011, 03:15 AM
i jus cant understand it. i mean .........well.......its jus reading. one way the letters are small , the other they're big. i guees its the only way to tell context or intent with a typed conversation on some level. maybe i jus got bigger problems????

Its just considered to be rude on a forum, plus its really hard to read.

Administrator
02-22-2011, 01:02 PM

When only typing you have only so many ways to show personality or emotion online. Yeah some people use a ton of winks and smiles and stupid dancing things. In general when conversing on a forum ALL CAPS can be something that is no biggie to some but to others it will make you look like a troll or attention whore on the forum. You would not want to read a book or even a magazine article in ALL CAPS it would be annoying and would also look like the editor did not do their job.

Either way there is a plug-in that works most of the time to auto-correct this issue.