PDA

View Full Version : Spektra Halo vs Centri?

Patrick
08-26-2012, 11:41 PM
So, I've been saving for a little while for a new toy. I've been really intrigued by everything I've seen on the Centri machines. But, just today, started checking out the Spektra Halos. Anyone have both and willing to give a side by side comparison? Anyone care to share honest praises and criticisms about either... Or both? I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks

reigningink
08-27-2012, 12:44 AM
well I own both now. I just received my spectra a few days ago, so I have had limited time to put it through the ringer. But in truth I have to say its a hard set to compare. Its like comparing a mountain bike and a street bike. It all depends on your intended use and how your current style fits these machines. So ill try to highlight what I have come to love about both machines. Centri : is a great machine, I've used it to color pack and blend beautifully. Black&grey has been no problem at all, very smooth and consistent. I like being able to adjust the stroke length and strike force so easily. The only downsides I found is that there is a bit of a learning curve. It takes some time to figure out what settings work best with your hand speed and technique. But once your able to pinpoint them, its like a paintbrush. I have lined with it using a tight 5 but it is not my go to liner to be honest. Still love it though. Spektra: this one is a nice machine, a damn nice machine. Its give system works very well and seems to give right where it counts. The design of the machine shows some ingenious simplicity. The kind that only comes from a ton of redesigning and editing. I have lined with it, it has replaced my rapier2 as my go to liner for now. Shading is no problem, reminds me of shading with a dragonfly but it seems to be faster. Color is easy and quick. And saturating an area is no issue at all, and thats ith the 3.2mm stroke. Both are smooth and very well built. Both designers obviously put alot of thought into these to make them the bast machine they could be for the artists that use them. Its a very hard comparison but make your decision based on what you need the machine to do. I hope this helps.

Sage Oz
08-27-2012, 01:20 AM
I've had pretty good experience with both and i agree with everything said above. I really love both, though I have to admit that the Halo is probably the better all around machine IMO. It's lighter and more refined, though still very solid. The motor bolt is ingenious and works perfectly. It also has a guillotine vise that works perfectly. The give is very adjustable and works perfectly. The stroke is smooth, efficient, linear and has a hit that's, well, perfect. It can do everything exceptionally well. The Centri is an amazing machine in its own way, it definitely took a bit longer to get used to, but now that I understand it better it has become my number one color shader. It does smooth and beautiful blends for both color and BnG, and I really like it for power lining with 9-12 needles. Too much vibration for me for fine lining though, especially if you want to line with speed. It likes lower volts and slower speeds. And I'm not a fan of the setscrew type vise at all(ala hyper V2) as it can mar tubes and allows a bit of sideways play. The mechanics behind how it works is awesome and effective however, and it's one cool machine to have for sure, I can't imagine selling it. So it all kinda comes down to what you need from the machine, they are both amazing in their own right, but if I could only have one, grrrr..... I'd have to chose the Spectra.

Patrick
08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks, guys. As far as applications, I'm really trying to change my tattooing to a more "painterly" style. Not a lot of apparent line work and a lot more color blending, deep contrast and dramatic lighting. I've been having luck with the rotaries and coils that I use already. But haven't quite found that perfect balance of multi-pass color saturation, delicate shading transitions and minimal skin trauma. I'm still not decided. I may have to save a little longer and get one of each.
Thanks, again for the input.
As far as the Spectra, what stroke lengths are working for you guys, overall? Both tighter detail and color packing/shading-wise.

Sage Oz
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I've only used the halo in 4.0, but I just ordered one in 3.6 as the 4mm is probably overkill except for large mags and power lines. Gonna get another soon, probably a 3.2 and a extra 2.5 wheel...

Blondan
08-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I've ordered them all. I can hardly wait to try them.

Inkslingers
09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been through the trials with both, I'd have to say that between the two machines the Spektra is far and away the better machine. Overall design, ease of use and most importantly how they apply pigment to the skin (lining, shading, packing)...the Spektra tips the scales in every way. (even on price if that's an issue) The give settings of the Spektra makes it a more versatile machine, then there's the clear advantages of the motor bolt system and the machine being autoclavable.

I "only" own two of the Spektras, a 3.2mm & 4mm. Where rotaries are concerned the 3.2 is my go to liner, but I also load it for black & grey depending on the needle grouping. The 4mm is just a beast to shade, blend or pack color with...just a FUN machine to use. For me the learning curve with it's shading ability was all of plugging it in I wouldn't have any input on the 4mm as anything else but a shader just being that I've never tried loading it as a liner. I'll be getting the 3.6 down the road (just gives me an "excuse" to purchase another). I think Sage? compared it to the Dragonfly but faster, which was dead on.

nivek
09-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I have never used a centri, but I can tell you I got one Halo, and just ordered two more. GREAT machine.

Inkslingers
09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I have never used a centri, but I can tell you I got one Halo, and just ordered two more. GREAT machine.

The answer to your question(s) on which is the better machine is in this quote. Time after time in threads on/about the Spektra you'll see this..."I got one, now I'm buying another..." You just don't see that with the Centri. It's one thing to talk about how nice a machine is, but to like it enough to put out money for second/or third is something else entirely. ​

serial1313
09-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I have 2 Centri"s & 3 Spektras. Both of these machines are tattooing tool masterpieces. Cream of the crop.

Cyberitual
09-02-2012, 12:15 PM
The answer to your question(s) on which is the better machine is in this quote. Time after time in threads on/about the Spektra you'll see this..."I got one, now I'm buying another..." You just don't see that with the Centri. It's one thing to talk about how nice a machine is, but to like it enough to put out money for second/or third is something else entirely. ​

LOL yeah biggest mistake on my part was not to make the Centri in 3 different stroke sizes instead of all in one... My opinion' there both amazing machines with genius designs and if you are a die hard in love with rotaries you will fall in love with the Spektra and i recommend it for you. If you are one who likes the use of coils, rotaries, pneumatic and or is open to something thats NEVER been done before with no history or long term statistics, the Centri is your walk on the wild side!

Patrick
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for your input. Informative and honest. I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to save a little longer and try them both out. I've asked a few other artists and no one seems to have anything particularly negative to say about either brand. I will update and review as soon as I can give them both a thorough litmus test.

skinmech
09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Ok...I will be blunt and straight to the point..Please bear in mind this is only my opinion...The Spektra Halo leaves the Centri in it's dust..I have had a few Centris, I thought with all the hype attached to this build, it must be pretty good..So I swapped a Hyper V2 for one, and had to send it for repair, so while I waited for that to be returned I got another one...That also had to be sent back for updating/upgrading..Mike at Centri is a cool guy to deal with, his customer service is on par with FKI and TATSoul,,,,,however, I would run one Halo against 3 Centri's.....Maybe I was unlucky, I know some people get great results from the Centri, for me it was too hit or miss, temperamental and inconsistent...It also needed cleaned/serviced ever tattoo, or 3 hours "approx"...I never posted a review on the Centri, as it never worked out for me, it doesn't mean to say it won't work for you...The Centri has a huge learnig curve, and a bit of baggage with it...The Spektra is Plug and Play...Simple...As I said, this is my opinion only, I don't want to create a shitstorm with the Centri owners...

Inkslingers
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok...I will be blunt and straight to the point..Please bear in mind this is only my opinion...The Spektra Halo leaves the Centri in it's dust..I have had a few Centris, I thought with all the hype attached to this build, it must be pretty good..So I swapped a Hyper V2 for one, and had to send it for repair, so while I waited for that to be returned I got another one...That also had to be sent back for updating/upgrading..Mike at Centri is a cool guy to deal with, his customer service is on par with FKI and TATSoul,,,,,however, I would run one Halo against 3 Centri's.....Maybe I was unlucky, I know some people get great results from the Centri, for me it was too hit or miss, temperamental and inconsistent...It also needed cleaned/serviced ever tattoo, or 3 hours "approx"...I never posted a review on the Centri, as it never worked out for me, it doesn't mean to say it won't work for you...The Centri has a huge learnig curve, and a bit of baggage with it...The Spektra is Plug and Play...Simple...As I said, this is my opinion only, I don't want to create a shitstorm with the Centri owners...

I doubt your post will start any kind of shitstorm, if fact, I believe that if Centri owners had been totally honest in their review(s) of the machine you would have seen more stories like your's come to light. I can only speak for myself, and my reasons for not putting anything negative out about it....if anyone remembers, I was one of the very few that cheer leaded for the Centri in it's infancy. After only having limited experience with it I came to find myself sided with those that believed the machine could be the "future of tattooing". Make no mistake, sides were actually taken in this. If you read the old threads you'll see what I'm talking about. There were some very heated discussions on the matter.

I still believe that the idea is there, somewhere? I can't say if it's a simple matter of refining or if the whole thing should be re-engineered? Had I posted a full and honest review of the Centri, it would have included the issues that you posted & more, instead I choose to lick my wounds and move on. As you've said, there's those who seem to get some very good results with it.

I have a rather large collection of machines, so I get the thought behind buying a certain machine just to have it, or as Mike (Centri) put it, "to take a walk on the wild side". My top drawer is a different story altogether though. I've babied/fine tuned/whispered sweet nothings to them nightly...to the point where I'm more then happy with those I have to pick from to apply a tattoo with. If it's in my top drawer it's earned its place there as a tool that consistently performs the job it was meant to do. The Centri(s) didn't. My Spektras have.

hellraiser6662
09-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I've got a centri and had a little play with a halo, and in my eyes the halo is a plug and play machine but it's nothing new it's just a very refined machine like the dragonfly it does what it says it does, but the centri well I've had problems with mine but I'm sending it back for a new motor and I'm going to learn the beast I love the idea on how it works and I think it's a step forward not a step to the side with the halo. But the halo only wins because it's a plug n play tattooist machine, with the centri it's a tattoo artists machine you have to learn how to use it even if you burn 2 motors out hahaha opps. Not used to such low volts & yes I think as time goes on and mike developes the centri it will only get better and stronger. If you want plug n play halos your machine, if you want start of something new support the centri. Or be a greedy and get both hahaha

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

slicksteel
09-13-2012, 12:50 AM
I must say I tattooed with a used centri I just got for like 10m on myshelf before packing it up to be sent out for updates and it is an amazing machine! The hit/give is unique and feels like no other. I have tried alot of rotary and keep trying more because I am looking for a machine that is better then a standard rotary and coil-I think it is going to be the Centri-it is a step forward for sure! It sure hurts/swells alot less and felt more like doing art to me then tattooing,which is a good thing! Also customer service was great-mike has answered my questions right away and really does believe in/uses his product and seems to always be trying to making it better. "A TATTOO MACHINE BY A TATTOOER" works for me.:D