PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin new model - mini direct drive

Baldrick
08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
OK we all know how good Dans Mini Cranker machines are, Ive got 2 and use them for everything - that was until I tried his new "mini direct drive" - its a hybrid machine based on his direct drive, but with the motor from the mini cranker. How good is this machine!!!

Now I've never really got on well with direct drive rotaries in the past - for some reason I just couldn't get them to work for me - but something just clicked the very first time I used it. Its light, but not too light, balanced, well made - a simple, straightforward machine, that works.

Dan built this machine as a colour packer - and boy does it pack well, but It really will do anything and its lines really, really well too !!

I know a few members have got these already, but if your looking for a new machine, thats cheap as chips and will do anything - this could be the one!!

Since I got my first one, I have used it on every tattoo I've done, I love it so much, I ordered 2 more which will arrive this week.

Also have to say that Dan is a stand up kind of guy, and his customer service is outstanding.

I must say I'm not connected with Dan in any way, I just think in this day and age, good service should be praised - well done Dan, keep up the good work.

Baldrick
08-30-2012, 09:14 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d924e518-63b4-16c6.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d924e518-63c2-3f79.jpg

The 3rd one is a surprise as I want a custom paint job - so Dan sold me the machine in kit form - cant wait for that ;)

bluerocker
08-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I agree, the one I bought off zapp is amazing for packin and shading, ill have to give it ago doing some line work now ya said that, good review too!

chris-in-cali
08-30-2012, 09:55 AM
do these direct drives hit hard and fast?

bluerocker
08-30-2012, 11:17 AM
as fast as ya like, the range on them is quite broad. the hit is more than adequate for solid packing and whip shadin, i used it on myself expecting it to sting a bit, but was actually quite nice lol. i dont know too much about what makes it tick this machine, its just simply a crackin piece of kit that i reach for 9 outta 10 pieces i do

Baldrick
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
do these direct drives hit hard and fast?

Yeah they will run within 5-9 volts all day long.

I packed colour into a coverup on my wife, and I don't think I've ever put so much colour in do fast.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d924e518-8672-767a.jpg

asA
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Can't wait. Mine should be here in a few days!

bluerocker
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
all this talk and praise makes me wanna get another one, may try the cranker tho heard only good things about them

asA
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Bluerocker do you have the mini direct drive or the older bigger direct drive? I didn't see zap sell a mini one?

bluerocker
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
asa, not sure mate, i know its small anywayz so if it ent the micro one, that ones a small machine!!
i love it anywayz, it looks the same as the pics above?? well clued up on this en i lol

Baldrick
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Bluerocker do you have the mini direct drive or the older bigger direct drive? I didn't see zap sell a mini one?

Yeah cause they are very different animals ;) different setups and motors.

bluerocker
08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
are they really??? hmmm, thats got me ol clogs turning!! i think ya right mate its the original one i got, really tho how has dk improved on that model lol, that thing is magic!!!

any chance of seeing the 2 models together for a size comparison if ya get chance dude
?

Baldrick
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Here the original type - the body is bigger, and no screw heads on the body side.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d924e518-954f-a9fc.jpg

Fatlad5
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I know Alie K has had one for a while, anything to add Alie? :)
Dan told me on FB haha

Administrator
08-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I will page her for you.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

Alie K
08-30-2012, 10:11 PM
I love both my kubin machines- the direct drive as well as the mini cranker. I think so far the mini cranker is my favorite. They are actually some of my favorite machines for making big lines with. Not much of a difference in actual "hit" between the two- they are both powerhouses. Aside from the look of them, the only major difference I found is that the geometry on the direct drive is a little shorter, so my GoodLuckIron tubes ride really low in the chuck (which doesn't bother me because I love it for lining and am used to a long throw/hang). Anyone else with these tubes knows the 5mm difference I'm referring to. Disposables from Eikon and Tatsoul work just fine.

As for the way the dd runs- it's super smooth and quiet, whereas the cranker makes its "trademark" sound.

As it has already been said, Dan's machines rock, and his personalized customer service is second to none!

Beamed directly from outer space by the Samsung Galaxy and tapatalk

asA
09-01-2012, 01:47 PM
12978her is a side by side of the older bigger version and the mini.

Baldrick
09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
12978her is a side by side of the older bigger version and the mini.

Ahhhh you had the burnt marshmallow ones ;)

asA
09-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Just one of um. My others are torched and patina'd

asA
09-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow, been using the mini direct drive with ttech and Cheyenne cartridges and this thing puts the ink in like a laser. Solid saturated smooth. Amazing.

No Iron Machines
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
DAN KUBIN is always cool...

Dan Kubin
09-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the great reviews guys!
It's weird. I never got in to the older model dd's I made once I developed the mc, but I too really like using mine now as well. Mostly for whips and packing..which is 90% of what I do. Haha.
Anyways, they are not yet on my site, but you can FB me or email off my site, and I can get something made!

There are also new developments with my Mini Cranker that I will be posting soon!
Cheers, fellas!

asA
09-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the great reviews guys!
It's weird. I never got in to the older model dd's I made once I developed the mc, but I too really like using mine now as well. Mostly for whips and packing..which is 90% of what I do. Haha.
Anyways, they are not yet on my site, but you can FB me or email off my site, and I can get something made!

There are also new developments with my Mini Cranker that I will be posting soon!
Cheers, fellas!Oooh man new mini cranker action!? Can't wait.

asA
09-03-2012, 01:00 AM
12997 started this with my mini direct drive and Cheyenne cartridges.

Sage Oz
09-03-2012, 01:36 AM
12997 started this with my mini direct drive and Cheyenne cartridges.

Damn that's sick bro! Gorgeous!

asA
09-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Damn that's sick bro! Gorgeous! thanks man. The mini direct drive has some kinda magic in it. It saturates color so easy.

peter clements
09-03-2012, 04:38 AM
The mini direct drive has some kinda magic in it.

Dan has that "magic" touch when it comes to tattoo machines. Can't imagine what's coming up next with the cranker,but I look forward to it and am seriously considering one of these mini DDs.

Baldrick
09-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Dan has that "magic" touch when it comes to tattoo machines. Can't imagine what's coming up next with the cranker,but I look forward to it and am seriously considering one of these mini DDs.

Get one Peter - you won't regret it ;)

thebeyond66
09-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Wow, been using the mini direct drive with ttech and Cheyenne cartridges and this thing puts the ink in like a laser. Solid saturated smooth. Amazing.

I just got a mini dd, what volts work good for you with the ttech/hawk carts? Also, are you using grommets/nipples or paper towel?

Baldrick
09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I just got a mini dd, what volts work good for you with the ttech/hawk carts? Also, are you using grommets/nipples or paper towel?

I run mine hawk carts around 6.5-7 volts - I used a 29 mag yesterday with no problem.

I have to say these machines are simply unreal - I use mine for lining, colour packing, blending and black/Gray

There awesome that's why I bought 3 already ;)

thebeyond66
09-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to try it.Thanks so much for the info!

Baldrick
09-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh and I use soft grommets or silicone tubing.