PDA

View Full Version : Hyper V3 setup?

Dane
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
So I just got a hyper V3 and I'm a little confused? First off it seems to be really loud. Much louder then my vivace. Second I'm using a little rubber nipple to hold the eyelet of the needle onto the machine like you would with other machines. By the time I'm done tattooing for about an hour or so the machine is covered in rubber dust from where the eyelet has rubbed against the rubber nipple and shredded it. When I screw the back screw all the way out the "armature" bar pin wiggles back and forth which is what is causing the friction that shreds the grommet. Is that supposed to happen?

These first two questions are possibly related. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here maybe? I'm thinking there's a different manner in which to attach the needle to the machine that I'm not aware of? I feel this problematic connection is causing a lot of noise.

I'm having some other concerns but if the above is a fault of mine in the setup or possibly a faulty part then I can probably explain my other problems by that.

Tullin
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM
No worries bro. Had the same problem with my V2. Could be a number of things involved. First things first what voltage are you running it at? Is the needle stabilizer tight up against your needle? Does it happen all the time or just in "no give" mode?

Dane
09-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been running it between 8.5-10.5 volts on an ekion 400. The stabilizer is just touching the bar. Enough to be against it but not enough to bend the bar down any. I havent tested it out/paid enough attention to it with the four tattoos that I've done with it since I got it, however, with the last tattoo I did I used it for lining for the first time, screwed the back screw all the way tight, and used an actual doughnut grommet on it and I was very pleased with those results. Much quieter and did a really good job lining. Granted this was a small tattoo that took about 5ish minutes for the outline so I didn't get a real good feel for if anything changed.

Tullin
09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
sounds about right. The problem I found with my V2 and V3 is that a little too much play in the needle pin will eat grommets. It is really easy to unscrew the give screw just a tad too much. also if the needle stabilizer is too loose the play your needle bar gets doesn't help. I mostly use mine for blending so I run mine at half/quarter turn from no give depending on the grouping and around 8.7-9volts

spoonertattoos
09-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I love the v3 for shading. I actually bought two. But you are right they do chew through grommets especially at really large strokes. I open mine waay up. 4 or more mm.
I found that my black nipples from tatsoul are almost worthless on the machine. I bought some color ones on ebay that old op a lot better. I use the two sided kind as opposed to the tophat style.
I havent noticed any extra noise though. Its not completely silent but its not chattery.

I dont use it much for lining. I mostly use my v2's for that. in fact thats all I really use the v2 for. Though Im sure they are great for other stuff.

asA
09-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Man you really gotta watch the needle retainer on this machine. With the swash action it really will run terrible and shed some grommets/nipples if its too tight.

joelhague
12-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Having the same issue nipple dust everywhere

slicksteel
12-14-2012, 03:30 AM
i say fuck those piece of shit needle stabilizers-take em off or unscrew and use rubberbands-worst invention ever!!

MickWrath
12-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Clamping your needle bar loop around the armature post with a pair of pliers helps survive the tophat grommets, but I use the silicone tubing and don't have any problems. Mick-

pechbird
12-14-2012, 04:43 AM
The needle stabilizer sucks.
I dont use it anymore.
You should rebuilt it and go back to rubberbands

Cheers

Magnu
12-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Have you applied any lubrication to the slide? As this will cause a lot of noise if it is run dry you could also try tightening up the adjuster screws either side of the slide to cut out excessive play in the slide.