PDA

View Full Version : My Tattoo Machine Journey Comes To And End...

skinmech
09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Approx 18 mos ago, I decided to try out as many tattoo Machines as I could...I had my Daily Drivers, to hand , and I knew I could rely on them.

So what could go wrong, with some money in my Paypal account, off I set...I made no difference between Coil or Rotary, didn't matter if it was from Argentina, or Falkirk, Hawaii or Hollywood, if it looked like I could get on with it, or if it was already an established make, I would try it out..I funded this journey, by buying and selling, swapping and part exchange/ trading...Unless you are experienced, and aware of the financial value of tattoo machines, I suggest you don't try this yourself..

I am aware this is an open forum, therefore, I won't be giving any secrets away, nor will I be suggesting the good, or the bad, Please bear in mind, just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you..If you want to know specifics, simply pm me...

In no particular order,but, I will list the Coil Machines first.... I tried and tested the following..

Infinite Irons.. Liner
Drexler..Liner
Hepworth.. Liner
Soba Pilot..Shader
Mao.. Shader
Cifferi..Liner
Cain.. Liner
Cain..Shader
Soba Clipper..Shader
Paco Brass..Liner
TED TED..Liner
TED TED..Shader
Junebug..Shader 2003
Junebug..Liner 2006
Sunskin.. Shader 2006
M Sharpz ..Liner 2005 (Sold to ISMI...R.I.P)
M Sharpz..Liner 1998
Eikon Green Monster..various
Paco Rollins..Custom Liner
Next Gen.. Liner
Next Gen ..Shader 2001
Buzzbrush..Liner
Buzzbrush..Packer
Mao.. Liner
Fatcount..Liner
JWOOK..Liner
JWOOK..Shader

Rotary Machines......

Action Rotary
Rotary Works
Swash Drive Gen 6
Swash Drive Gen 7
Swash Drive Whip
Dino Cassarin Bazooka
Dino Cassarin Adjustable
NeoTat 2.5mm
NeoTat 3.0MM(L/S)
Dragonfly Med Stroke
Hyper V2
HM La Pinta
Centri
Cranker
Nicky's..Liner
Nicky's..Colour
Special Techniques Tracker
Evolution Rotary
Old Timer Rotary

I have probably forgot about 10+ machines, but I will add as I remember them...Now here is the important part I learned, if you don't know how to tune, and then fine tune a machine, you will never achieve your full potential, and not get the best from your machine..Simple as that..In addition, big bucks does not a great machine buy..Ok, if you only spend a couple of pennies ,then you will get a machine, which reflects your financial outlay, but, don't think if you shell out £450 /$650 then it will make your work better, that won't happen...At one time I had 40+ Machines, so I decided to "de-clutter" now, after 18 months, I have 7 Machines, which suit me perfect, and I know exactly how they perform....and only two of my original daily drivers survived, both by Buzzbrush, the others are Nicky's, Spektra,Kubins,Special Technique..Was it worth the hassle and the stress, probably not, but unless, you try what else is available, then you might never know..

I am aware, that there is a host of Builders, it would be near impossible to try them all , bear in mind, a Review takes approx 2 weeks, so it can be time consuming..I look forward to shutting down my Studio, so I can focus on improving my Art and relaxing for a few months.

Just because I didn't mention your name, machine, or thanked you, just means I forgot, ok, LOL...Peace to all, any questions, fire away,But, don't ask for specifics, unless you PM me.....And of course, IMO there is a best tattoo machine ever, and we all know what it is.......P

bangin
09-18-2012, 09:27 AM
man thats so badass.
bet it was a great ride, but like they say, the ride never ends haha :)

Wonderland
09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Great write up. I too have spent quite a lot of time with machines of all types and spent years with them all tinkering and tuning, sometimes even modifying them too. Getting them to run the way I need them. It for quite the obsession and learning experience too.

I sold most of them years ago and am now down to about 6 rotary machines and 8 coils as well, but the coils are all built up from bare frames with parts sourced from all over and often modified by myself.

skinmech
09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Great write up. I too have spent quite a lot of time with machines of all types and spent years with them all tinkering and tuning, sometimes even modifying them too. Getting them to run the way I need them. It for quite the obsession and learning experience too.

I sold most of them years ago and am now down to about 6 rotary machines and 8 coils as well, but the coils are all built up from bare frames with parts sourced from all over and often modified by myself.

Exactly...It is what you do with a Machine that makes it work, not the Name on the Box....People need to get real, and understand, money does not the tattooist make...P.

Wonderland
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Exactly...It is what you do with a Machine that makes it work, not the Name on the Box....People need to get real, and understand, money does not the tattooist make...P.

So true, I have taken some flack from some artists for the bastardizing of some famous builders frames in the past. It is so odd to me to hold true to the mantra of great machines, while they maybe great for some, they may not be great for all.

Even my rotary machines have mean modified ever so slightly to run the way I like. I adapt my machines to me, not the other way around. Call it a compulsion, it is one of my hang ups.

I will give up a simple modification for rotary machines. Capacitors for reducing electrical noise. It really makes the motors run better. This has been a new compulsion for me as of late.

Blondan
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Not trying to be smart or anything, but dragonfly comes in two strokes. Long and short, didn't know there is a medium stroke. There is?

elbo
09-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Approx 18 mos ago, I decided to try out as many tattoo Machines as I could...I had my Daily Drivers, to hand , and I knew I could rely on them.

So what could go wrong, with some money in my Paypal account, off I set...I made no difference between Coil or Rotary, didn't matter if it was from Argentina, or Falkirk, Hawaii or Hollywood, if it looked like I could get on with it, or if it was already an established make, I would try it out..I funded this journey, by buying and selling, swapping and part exchange/ trading...Unless you are experienced, and aware of the financial value of tattoo machines, I suggest you don't try this yourself..

I am aware this is an open forum, therefore, I won't be giving any secrets away, nor will I be suggesting the good, or the bad, Please bear in mind, just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you..If you want to know specifics, simply pm me...

In no particular order,but, I will list the Coil Machines first.... I tried and tested the following..

Infinite Irons.. Liner
Drexler..Liner
Hepworth.. Liner
Soba Pilot..Shader
Mao.. Shader
Cifferi..Liner
Cain.. Liner
Cain..Shader
Soba Clipper..Shader
Paco Brass..Liner
TED TED..Liner
TED TED..Shader
Junebug..Shader 2003
Junebug..Liner 2006
Sunskin.. Shader 2006
M Sharpz ..Liner 2005 (Sold to ISMI...R.I.P)
M Sharpz..Liner 1998
Eikon Green Monster..various
Paco Rollins..Custom Liner
Next Gen.. Liner
Next Gen ..Shader 2001
Buzzbrush..Liner
Buzzbrush..Packer
Mao.. Liner
Fatcount..Liner
JWOOK..Liner
JWOOK..Shader

Rotary Machines......

Action Rotary
Rotary Works
Swash Drive Gen 6
Swash Drive Gen 7
Swash Drive Whip
Dino Cassarin Bazooka
Dino Cassarin Adjustable
NeoTat 2.5mm
NeoTat 3.0MM(L/S)
Dragonfly Med Stroke
Hyper V2
HM La Pinta
Centri
Cranker
Nicky's..Liner
Nicky's..Colour
Special Techniques Tracker
Evolution Rotary
Old Timer Rotary

I have probably forgot about 10+ machines, but I will add as I remember them...Now here is the important part I learned, if you don't know how to tune, and then fine tune a machine, you will never achieve your full potential, and not get the best from your machine..Simple as that..In addition, big bucks does not a great machine buy..Ok, if you only spend a couple of pennies ,then you will get a machine, which reflects your financial outlay, but, don't think if you shell out £450 /$650 then it will make your work better, that won't happen...At one time I had 40+ Machines, so I decided to "de-clutter" now, after 18 months, I have 7 Machines, which suit me perfect, and I know exactly how they perform....and only two of my original daily drivers survived, both by Buzzbrush, the others are Nicky's, Spektra,Kubins,Special Technique..Was it worth the hassle and the stress, probably not, but unless, you try what else is available, then you might never know..

I am aware, that there is a host of Builders, it would be near impossible to try them all , bear in mind, a Review takes approx 2 weeks, so it can be time consuming..I look forward to shutting down my Studio, so I can focus on improving my Art and relaxing for a few months.

Just because I didn't mention your name, machine, or thanked you, just means I forgot, ok, LOL...Peace to all, any questions, fire away,But, don't ask for specifics, unless you PM me.....And of course, IMO there is a best tattoo machine ever, and we all know what it is.......P

You really should try a rapier Paul.....

Eturnus
09-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I think i will stick to my rapiers and my one halo. Epic journey though, did you document how each one performs? This would be a great read.

tatu richie
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
thats alot of trading there

skinmech
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
thats alot of trading there

Trading and Buying Bro....I had to hide most of the bills from the Wife,LOL...

skinmech
09-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I think i will stick to my rapiers and my one halo. Epic journey though, did you document how each one performs? This would be a great read.

Yep I have pages of Info on all of the Machines mentioned...I have nothing negative to say about any Build..Just because I can't get the best from a Machine, should not reflect on the Machine or the Builder, but more on my ability...Every Builder I talked to was able to explain or fix any issue I raised..I ain't gonna Blow Smoke up any ones Arse, but, all Builders will listen to peoples/users opinions, all you need to do is pm them, or let them know...Nothing moves without pressure, or thought...Only Saying.P.:D

joelhague
09-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I P'med you bro if you get a chance to reply would be great, have u been on here all day i checked this morning and that green orb was next to your name and its still there! i think the only thing your wife probably hates more then your machine obsession is your forum obsession!! honestly tho id feel lonely without yah :)