PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a rotary pleas :)

devans
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Hear we go....... Its time for me to swap to rotarys now i think. Just sold some coil machines (glyn flews and paulo cruzes) . I like my coil machines to hit hard with very little to no give and this is how i would like a rotary to work. I dont want to spend a fortune on one yet, so i was thinking of getting a Rotary Works off Dale as i hear great things about them. I would like a simple machine that will just plug and run. I would love your folks advice :)

Fatlad5
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Can't go wrong with a Dan Kubin mini cranker...does it all, lines, packs and shades :)

Sekt
09-23-2012, 10:48 AM
^^^ Second the cranker, the reason is that if you want a tiny bit of give, you can do so. The Cranker has a rod inside the arm bar, which if you release the nut at the front of the arm bar, gives it some give. Then if you want no give at all, you simply tighten up the plastic nut on the front of the arm bar. No give is good for packing. Some give good when using a 3rl for example.
This makes the machine very flexible. Now add to that an adjustable stroke, and those two thing make the machine good at everything. Now add a small flywheel, and you get the much loved effect of the centri. The flywheel gives a certain momentum (imo) which punches and drives the needle down. Also the machine is weighted sufficiently that it won't lift or bounce off the skin so easily. Add to that a comfortable to hold machine, and you get some of the reasons why its so popular.
Dales machines are very good for b+g work, but (for the contrary) thats just my opinion.

Fatlad5
09-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Meant to add that Zapp has usually got one or two for sale, check the classifieds...he's a good dude to deal with :)

devans
09-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I like the look of the cranker, it sounds perfect to be honest. Thanks for that folks. Just need to find one now :(

casey
09-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Got meself a couple of crankers Devs , love em to bits, so so versatile and so simple:) Hope you and Nurse are doing well bud

Sage Oz
09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree with the choice of crankers, I miss having one, awesome all around machine and lining is a smooth breeze

wildboy
09-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Well... What the others said ^^ The Cranker is the best bang for your buck.

devans
09-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Cranker it is then i think. His website says he has non available though :( i will just keep looking..........Casey ???? you got a couple of em you sed ;) by the way we is fine mate, hope your doing well mi muka.

wildboy
09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
You can custom order machines he doesnt have any ready made available...

Fatlad5
09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Cranker it is then i think. His website says he has non available though :( i will just keep looking..........Casey ???? you got a couple of em you sed ;) by the way we is fine mate, hope your doing well mi muka.

I got one from here and I'm sure the owner is on the forum too
http://www.therotaryportal.co.uk/shop/article_5/Dan-Kubin-Mini-Cranker.html?sessid=2lKyCtNXslMlHiNqVfzYMxK1pW7T5R 7BLGlNF8jnw5YOq3x2riRJLv21ffe3utM3&shop_param=cid%3D3%26aid%3D5%26

Sage Oz
09-23-2012, 02:51 PM
He cranks them out pretty quick. Had my full custom job made and delivered in under 3 weeks

Bishopbyname
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd say Mini Crankers or Nick's for sure! For the price craftsmanship and the pure awesomeness of the builders, these machines can't be beat for the price.

Whereabouts in Brum are ya mate? :)

adamfromessex
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
got a mini cranker off Dan direct-pretty much made instantly, and he caters well to "particular" requests, i asked for a particular pearlised (?) colour combo and it arrived quick- he went out of his way to source the colours.
I had an ink disaster-my fault pretty much as good as "dropped it in a paint tin leak" contacted him re. how to break down to clean- sent me a vid link, and roberts your mother's brother-job done

casey
09-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes Devs i have a couple:p They are definite keepers, I have 2 of all my keepers mate it saves on future traumas!:D

Sarenity Tattoo
09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Neotat original. $285 or less! killer machines.

thesmokingmirror
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Another vote for the Cranker, its my favorite machine and my daily driver

devans
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all your help folks, its really helped. But just to clear things up in mi head a bit.......... what would you say the RotaryWorks is best for ?

Many thanks,
Dallas.

peter clements
09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all your help folks, its really helped. But just to clear things up in mi head a bit.......... what would you say the RotaryWorks is best for ?

Many thanks,
Dallas.

I have 3 RWs one is a short stroke 2.5 with a Maxon motor,then a standard brass with Maxon and an alluminium with a 10V motor, IMO they are excellent shaders,and you can line with them.There is no dampening so just use a squishy silicone tubing grommet, if that's what you're after.Anyone with skill should just about to be able to achieve anything with an RW.