PDA

View Full Version : Jack sparrow portrait

Spaceinvad3r
10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii582/Choppernoob/28d0690e989d2fe394a6424668e5e0d2.jpg

Crit please, I did this in pencil and used an electric eraser for highlights.

devans
10-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Your pencil work is good mate, but his face is wrong IMO.

Spaceinvad3r
10-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I love pencil stuff. What strikes you as wrong about it tho? I think it has a look of Gary oldman or whatever his name is. The fella who was in Leon and fifth element lol.

vito
10-07-2012, 11:51 AM
It looks great. Face is slightly long. It looks awesome though, take it from me, I have been an award winning pen and pencil artist since i was 16

Spaceinvad3r
10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Cheers vito, I draw all my portraits from scratch so I guess that's where the fault lies with his face length. I should probably trace the outline for perfect sizing but I kinda enjoy getting it as near as by eye.

Have you any tips on achieving better results?

casey
10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I like it mate, shows some nice depth and a great understanding of the medium. If you dont want to trace you can use the grid method , i find this the best way to maintain proportions. That said a lightbox is a great tool to have

Spaceinvad3r
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Many thanks casey. I'll try the grid method for my next portrait I think. We have a light box at the shop but at home I use my glass table and put a lamp under it. It works, kind of lol. I've been dabbling with watercolours a lot recently, now that's somewhere I need lots of improvement :)

CajunDave
10-27-2012, 03:43 PM
i really like to be able to say i didnt trace anything when i do pieces like this. i can nail the likeness of someone everytime but i dont do it without assistance, although i dont trace either. what i do is i blow the image up on my computer screen the size i want to draw it at. then i bust out my ruler. place your center line on the face on the pc, imaginery or u can use a program, and then put the same line on your paper. i then measure from that line the important shit. like face length and width, eyes, nose tip and width, eyebrows , mouth height and width etc, and transfer those measurements onto my paper as little tiny dots or marks. i then freehand draw all the shapes from there and make a very light line drawing from these measurements . if something looks off you just have to figure out what shape is off. then shading then the removal of highlights etc.

if im using a face just as reference and i dont need the likeness i will just freehand without the measurement marks , but it really helps if ur trying to nail the likeness of someone.

this is the first drawing ever i used this method with and was really happy with the results. angelina jolie 18x24". couldnt fit the whole paper on the scanner so some is cropped off.

pinkfro
10-28-2012, 02:26 AM
I think the mustache is off to the right too much along w the elongated face but still a nice job

devans
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
That's her top lip pinkfro .... She got slug lips en a.

devans
10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
OOOOPS !! ......... Ya men't the Sparrow picture dent ya :(

vodu
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
looks a little like lou diamond philips. but is still nice