PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare to convention?

Janne
10-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Hello!

How do you guys do when participating in an convention. I mean the reference pictures . Do you do stencils before, do you have your laptops+printers with you? Do you do freehanding and drawing at the spot? How many tattoos do you do per day? I´m thinking like doing maybe 20 stencils with different genre and people can choose from those. Small things freehanding... +are you alone or do you have assistant?

Patrick
10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
For me, it varies. Some conventions, I've been going to for a while and have a few regular clients. They'll email me beforehand with ideas and I can have a sketch ready when they show up.
Others are more spontaneous. I've used image search on my phone to come up with drawing reference. I've collaborated with colleagues on drawing ideas. And I've drawn straight from reference that's been brought to me.
I have also seen other artists come to a convention with a set of drawings that they want to tattoo and let the clients choose from that.
I prefer to be prepared and have, at least, a rough sketch ready. Spontaneity is great. But, for me, sometimes the chaos of a convention floor is way too distracting to focus on drawing on the spot. Others thrive in that arena. Depends on what your comfortable with.

evlink2006
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I have only been doing shows close to home lately so I am able to book out the entire event with local clients. I get everything ready before the show including stencils so when we are there its as smooth as possible. If by any chance I do do a walk up I will tend to just freehand the piece on with pens.

vodu
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Go with a bag of money.... Lol

Sent by the Devil using a vessel, one galaxy S2 and tapatalk 2