PDA

View Full Version : A decision to make on carving/engraving one of these two great machines.

peezie
10-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Okay guys, I'm planning on taking some bath salts and carving/engraving one of 2 great machines. I've decided to pick between my centri or my spektra halo which I got a great deal on from tatu richie (thanks again bro). Something I've been wanting to do for awhile. Wanted to carve my centri but I've been torn since I got my spektra halo (also off topic real quick, is spektra the rotary brand of FKI and halo the machine or is the machine itself the spektra halo? Always wondered). Any opinions? I will document my progress. Spektra will be a little more challenging since it is smaller with more rounded surfaces. I will decide within the next few days. Any input will be appreciated. I will decide regardless of any feedback I may or may not get. Thanks for your time. Please don't try to talk my out of it either. The fate of one of these machines is sealed.

peezie
10-11-2012, 04:40 PM

joelhague
10-11-2012, 04:53 PM
spektra is the line of rotarys from fk, i assume as the spektra vorteks is in the works, halo is the machine, i still call it the spektra tho, carve the spektra man ! hopefully your not for real about the bath salt part get some real drugs haha jk!

Wonderland
10-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Do the centri there is more material to work with. Not much to carve up on the Halo

Tullin
10-11-2012, 04:59 PM
+1on the centri

slicksteel
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
do the halo-that would look cool for sure if done right!

Sage Oz
10-11-2012, 06:11 PM
The centri has a lot of extra frame material, I've carved mine up pretty good...removed an ounce already, gotta finish it up one of these days. That said the halo would be cool too buy yeah you gotta go real shallow in a lot of important spots, it's already so minimal.

Inkslingers
10-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Have you done any carvings prior? If so, post some pics

grey
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
yeah. i would do a trial run on a less fragile/ expensive frame. this is the ONE good use i can think of for knockoffs. is to CARVE them up to see if you are any good at it, and to see if the carving even looks good. Scotty munster did a really really cool sculpt out of a neotat vivace, where he used fimo sculpy or some similar and made a cool tree stump out of the frame by adding material. ill look for a picture or link..

serial1313
10-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Screw it, go all in & carve both of them!

Cyberitual
10-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Just to let you know the Centri is heavy anodized. Which means its thick and not as simple as just scratching it. It will require some work. Cant wait!

Tkocevar1
10-12-2012, 03:07 AM
I would just tattoo with em.

Sage Oz
10-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Just to let you know the Centri is heavy anodized. Which means its thick and not as simple as just scratching it. It will require some work. Cant wait!

This is very true, it's tough!

peezie
10-12-2012, 12:24 PM
spektra is the line of rotarys from fk, i assume as the spektra vorteks is in the works, halo is the machine, i still call it the spektra tho, carve the spektra man ! hopefully your not for real about the bath salt part get some real drugs haha jk!
Yea, was wondering because everyone calls it the spektra. And the bath salts was in reference to another similar thread lol.

Have you done any carvings prior? If so, post some pics
The last time I carved/engraved something was 4 years ago. I was into it for a couple of years. I do have some pictures from the last engraving somwhere on my other computer. Will dig around and post something. Im not a pro by any means but I do think im decent enough to compliment these machines with some engravings.

Screw it, go all in & carve both of them!
I might do that in time, but time is sadly something I do not have much of right now.
<br><br>
Spektra is more of a challenge and does not have much surface material. But the challenge is what is drawing me to it. The centri does have a lot of surface area and is definitely an engravers dream. I appreciate the input guys. If you guys have anything else to add before I decide, please drop a line. I'm gonna decide later tonight and will draw up some sketches soon after and document everything. Hope you enjoy the ride.

peezie
10-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Also, I've done biomechanical engravings and gun type engravings mainly banknote style so if you have any input on the type of engraving/carving I should do, please feel free to add some input. Doesn't hurt and I've yet to decide. Thanks for your time.

peezie
10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Just to let you know the Centri is heavy anodized. Which means its thick and not as simple as just scratching it. It will require some work. Cant wait!Thanks for the heads up. Might have to sandblast or tumble it than.

Sage Oz
10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
You can strip off anodizing with a lye/water solution soak(easy-off heavy duty works well). It works pretty quick, wear gloves!

Administrator
10-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Oven cleaner can strip agonizing as well. Lye is the most common way.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

Barren
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
man you got bigger balls than me i wouldnt dare take a engraver to my halo, i get over protective if a client looks at to much lol

peezie
10-13-2012, 02:55 PM
So I've decided to carve up the centri. Easier canvas to work with as there is more surface area and everything is mostly flat. I appreciate the input and thanks for the tips on stripping the anodizing. Time to start planning and sketching.

Inkslingers
10-13-2012, 06:27 PM
A few things...all of which you may (or should) know if you've done carvings in the past. Unless you have a very high skill level with carving, don't go into it blind. Have a plan of what you want it to look like BEFORE you start anything..draw it out on paper. I'd suggest even practicing it (again, if your skill level with carving is not very high), brass hinges can be great for this.

If you're doing "bio", do BIO! A lot of people will carve some gouges out of a frame and put the name biomech on it. I personally don't get this, but whatever you decide go into this with everything mapped out or you'll most likely to end up with a trashed frame that you'll be unhappy with.

fkirons
10-13-2012, 08:38 PM
If you decide the Spektra, send me a pic bro! I'll post it on the site and social media.

peezie
10-14-2012, 12:09 AM
A few things...all of which you may (or should) know if you've done carvings in the past. Unless you have a very high skill level with carving, don't go into it blind. Have a plan of what you want it to look like BEFORE you start anything..draw it out on paper. I'd suggest even practicing it (again, if your skill level with carving is not very high), brass hinges can be great for this.

If you're doing "bio", do BIO! A lot of people will carve some gouges out of a frame and put the name biomech on it. I personally don't get this, but whatever you decide go into this with everything mapped out or you'll most likely to end up with a trashed frame that you'll be unhappy with.
Thanks for the tips. I plan on approaching this thing like a tattoo. Sketches and concepts first. I don't consider myself someone with a high skill level in carving/engraving but i think if i plan good everything should turn out decent enough.

If you decide the Spektra, send me a pic bro! I'll post it on the site and social media.
Cool man. Fkirons, I remember you from the TCI forums from way back early 2000 something when you were building customs. Good to see you doing well bro. Damn, I just might have to do both now. How can I say no to that.

Inkslingers
10-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Curious...what are you doing your carvings with?

peezie
10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
http://airgraver.com/ (http://airgraver.com/) My main tool will be the classic from Lindsay. Also will be using a dremel and some hand gravers. Coming up with some concept sketches as we speak. I've decided to do both machines. Biomechanical for the centri and filigree for the spektra. I think those styles will compliment these machines.

Cyberitual
10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
curious to see these machines! Send me pics when you can so i can post them up. [email protected]

peezie
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
curious to see these machines! Send me pics when you can so i can post them up. [email protected]
no problem, will do.