PDA

View Full Version : best starter rotary

pinkfro
10-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Ive been lurking for quite some time now and have finally decided to give rotaries a shot. for the last few months I planned on getting a neotat vivace and a few motors with it but am leaning more towards a rapier 3 now because of the options with give and stroke length it seems like it would make it very versatile. oh yeah the mini cranker was an option too, one im leaning heavily towards
Is there a huge learning curve to using rotaries? Will a rotary liner really ever line as well as coils? Would it be best to start with a no give machine like the vivace? To be honest the coil machines i am using right now are greenies. I actually love the greenie color packer. I bought a paco rollins liner and didnt really care for it.

I guess im just worried that all the bells and whistles will be too much for me to get used to and ill get frustrated and give up on them.

pinkfro
10-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Lol I bought a cranker;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MAD DOG
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Even if ......if ......i was to even think of going back to coils i would still line with a rotary !!! B&g might be the only learning curve you might have but it wont be a struggle . Rotaries are cleaner in all aspects of tattooing ....then again i could be just partial ! Lol . If you dont like them theres some one on here that will take the machines off your hands . Lmfao ! Right people !

pinkfro
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm stupid excited right now

pinkfro
10-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I want a DD from him next painted up like a cute ass robot

slicksteel
10-11-2012, 11:28 PM
.I Like them both as they are another tool in my arsenal.Altho most people that have used coils try to get the same feel and technique out of rotary at first and buy ones with give(me also).I feel the only thing you need on a rotary is slight damping-which can be done with soft grommnets or in the case of a plug style machine like no irons just put a little bit softer one in.Or how the bar is in a dan kubin. If you use a rotary with alot of give set on it you will end up doing alot of work stretching & going over the skin many times in bold color work as a rotary does not slap/pop the needle in like a coil this leads to scabbing that is not thick but will rescab many times over and be very dry.

wildboy
10-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Lol I bought a cranker;)

Get another one as soon as you can... The Cranker is great at everything once you try it for a certain task you dont wanna change anything on the machine... I got my 1st one and used it with a 5mm stroke and round shaders and it was so perfect that I didnt want to use it for anything else or change the stroke... 2nd one 3.5mm stroke for bng shading best shader I own I will never change anything on that one too. 3rd one 3mm stroke for lining cant say anything besides its the best liner I own ;-)

asa_castle
10-12-2012, 12:51 AM
dk is the best

Tkocevar1
10-12-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm diggin my hawk but that's a whole different monster. And hard to get used to. I got a neo vivace 3.5 and it's done everything I've wanted it to splendidly. For what it's worth I'd say grab a vivace . No give no gimmicks solid hits.... Gets shit done. Personally that's what I've found works best for me. And the price tag isn't so steep. It's a solid workhorse. But there's 20 other rotaries that are just as capable....... Which leads to expensive endeavors

Bishopbyname
10-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Overall I believe rotaries excel most in colouring. Some of the blending I've done with my rotaries would've chewed the hell out of a customer if I'd have attempted the same tattoo with a coil regardless how it was tuned. The skin goes through much less trauma which just equals better healed tattoos. Which is what we all want!

peter clements
10-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Dan Kubin cranker-all the way.

Mozzer337
10-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Just got me one of these ^^^^ in a trade from Skinmech. Arrived this morning. Cant wait to try it out, and if the Dan Kubin direct is anything to go by, the Cranker will be faultless too.

Travis
10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Crankers are amazing machines. I own 2 and will soon purchase a third.

skinmech
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
This thread title could be slightly misleading...To me a starter Rotary is a Machine that you would start of with to make the transition to Rotaries, either for the first time, or changing from Coils...The cranker is not a Starter Machine, it is a Hairy Balls Out, Full Blown Professional Machine, that will will suit just about all styles, and be in your Arsenal from Apprentice to Professional....;)...IMO, without any shadow of a doubt, the Mini Cranker is in the top three of all Rotaries...Full stop, nothing more to add....:D

PS.Keeping on a positive note, and taking into account that we probably don't all work the same, we use different pigments and carry out various styles on different skin types, in my humble opinion it is virtually impossible to have a "best Rotary Machine" available in any category, which the entire market would agree on, only saying,P.:D

pinkfro
10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
lol Skinmech, i think you really like the crankers :) im absolutely stoked to get mine next week!! if he wasnt only a state away i would probably have asked for overnight shipping lol. distressed seafoam green with patina brass its going to be so purdiful. having him set it up as a liner and then i think ill get a DD next week if my husband will stay off my back about spending the $ lol

and thank you all for the time and advice

pinkfro
10-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I have to say that I've never lined with a rotary but wow that Mc rocked my socks off. Lines so much better then what I have. Packs color very well also. Just ordered my robot themed mc for b&g. I really don't want to change the way mines set up I love it. Dan Kubin rocks

Jawbreaker
10-25-2012, 12:06 AM
I think of it like this , tattooing with coils has always been based on feel, the feeling of the springs as the needle is down in the skin working. Take that away, and it's a matter of feeling the needle through the whole machine and tube. U can still feel it , you just dont have the give that coils have. After talkin to joe capo at hell city about rotaries and their main purpose , people who are wanting the gve should just stick to coils. The idea behind a rotary is that the needles while down are actually working non stop, allowing you to do more saturation with way less damage . In and out. It's all about reading the skin. Seeing the areas and making sure they aren't over worked. Aside from not having to tune or maintain your machine. It's the difference between driving a car with tires that have half the air in them...(coils) and drivin with brand new tires full of air. ( rotary) your gonna get there faster with less effort. I would recommend something like the vivace. It's a great machine. And I do a ton of black and gray. If I find myself wanting ever so slight amount of back off. I use a super soft rubber nipple which allows the needle to sort of play back a tad. And just slightly give you that feel . There is nothing to not like about it. I started a year ago with a medium stroke neo , and now every artist at my shop is using them. All 5 of us tattoong and it sounds like butterflies:) vivace is where it's at, straight forward, right up the middle, getting work done more efficiently, allowing faster heal times , getting your clients back in there much faster, and doing over all.... Well, more work. And more consistent work at that. Enjoy