PDA

View Full Version : Spektra noise

DiarrheaSuitcase
10-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Just go a hold of a Spektra from a trade and had a go with it yesterday. Starting at 7v the machine begins getting loud. At 9v this machine was really loud. From 10v on, it sounds like a pissed off bumblebee (not the transformer btw). After playing around with it at work, I started checking other ppl's reviews of it just to see if I was alone or not. The machine being very quiet is something that seems pretty across the board from reviews. So I did a follow-up with the machine today and serviced it. When my bishop got loud, I relubed it and now it is whisper quiet (i was hoping the spektra would have the same result). I dismantled, lubed, and put it back together. Just as loud as before. Swapped the 4mm cam with a 3.2mm one just to rule out stroke length, it was just as loud. Took it apart and re-serviced it a second time. I put a a larger quantity of Super lube grease than I did the first time round in case I didn't have enough. Still loud. Put a little Super lube oil on top of the grease that was previously applied in hopes that would help. Sound-wise, it did not.
Seriously, at 10v, it is almost as loud as a coil machine. The superlube DID however loosen the give system to actually let the a-bar to break loose and move some.
Which brings me to another issue... has anyone else had an issue with the a-bar not moving very easily in the slide? Is there a break-in period for this feature to work smoothly?

Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I'm not enjoying this machine as much as I had hoped I would. Hopefully it is an easy fix because I really like everything else about it.

asA
10-14-2012, 12:01 AM
They aren't whisper quiet by any means.. Also If you don't press directly parallel to the slide on the armature it feels like it hangs up and doesn't have give. I think it's cause the armature slides on the stainless rod and if you don't press on it with your thumb just right it binds up on the bar. But when you're tattooing the needle bar is pressing parallel on the armature. Dunno if that makes sense...

slicksteel
10-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Sometimes when you use to much lube/oil it rotary will actually get louder.As it causes more friction due to no room for the lube/oil to go especially when there is tight tolerances when a machine is new and the parts are not seated yet to each other.try cleaning it of and only but a small about of lube or oil and spread evenly with finger tip so you dont hardly see it.
-also check to make sure there is nothing hanging up inside when the unit was made that would cause drag/catch.

DiarrheaSuitcase
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Its good to know they are a little on the loud side. How would you compare the sound to the bishop Asa? Louder , quieter, or about the same? And yeah, that makes sense on the parallel movement thing. I noticed that myself once it finally broke free.

Sometimes when you use to much lube/oil it rotary will actually get louder.As it causes more friction due to no room for the lube/oil to go especially when there is tight tolerances when a machine is new and the parts are not seated yet to each other.try cleaning it of and only but a small about of lube or oil and spread evenly with finger tip so you dont hardly see it.
-also check to make sure there is nothing hanging up inside when the unit was made that would cause drag/catch.

I'll try the "minimalist approach" monday and see if that helps at all. I followed the youtube lube instructions the first time with the 4 dots on both sides of the slide. I tried a hair more after that didn't work. Hopefully the light oil will help.

chris-in-cali
10-14-2012, 12:54 AM
i would say a little louder then a neo tat and a bit quiter then a bishop capo....right in between

DiarrheaSuitcase
10-14-2012, 02:26 AM
i would say a little louder then a neo tat and a bit quiter then a bishop capo....right in between

Oh really? Because my Spektra is like 4x louder than my Bishop. Seriously, the Spektra @ 7v sounds like my Capo at 9-9.5v.
Maybe Gaston will have some insight?

chris-in-cali
10-14-2012, 02:40 AM
sounds to me like something isn't right.

I have 2 halo's and one does run a little louder then the other.
but they perform the same.
if it is making alot of noise...you mentioned coil like...i would send it in.....something is off

asA
10-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Mine (x4) are all noisey. My bishop original and neo tat original are SILENT compared.

Sage Oz
10-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Mine are fairly loud, not quite coil range. One of the louder rotaries I've had, but I still love them. It's a nice buzz. I've ran four so far and they've been a bit different in sound but not much. They get noisier too when the dampening knob is opened up a lot.

reigningink
10-14-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm with sage. I have two, and both are about the same as far as noise goes. Not super loud, not silent. About what I had expected. Not as loud as my rapier2. Somewhere between a rapier2 and diablo

peter clements
10-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Any chance of a video so we can truly grasp how loud it is? What may seem noisy to one may not be so to someone else. They are not a quiete rotary, but the noise shouldn't be so that it is disturbing.

PAWNJOB
10-14-2012, 07:20 AM
My Capo is probably as silent as a machine can possibly be! My Halo is way louder by comparison. The Halo is kind of a loud machine compared to most rotaries I've used though, but not as loud as my coils at all. Diarrhea, I recommend that you send your Halo in to Gaston so he can look at it. I had a similar experience with mine. Gaston asked me to send it to him and in my case he was able to make some adjustments that helped kill some of the vibrations and noise. They ain't cheap, I definitely think it's worth letting him take a look at it. At the very least you'll know whether there's a problem with it or not and then you can go from there. If there is a manufacturer's defect it would be a shame to waste anymore time trying to correct something that you can't even fix yourself anyway. It would be an even bigger shame to decide that you didn't like the Halo if there's actually something that can be done about it, it's truely an amazing machine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Eturnus
10-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Umm lube it up. Mine was making some noise and i took it apart, which a two year old could, cleaned it off and lubed it back up. Gaston did put a video up somewhere on how to properly do it.

joelhague
10-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Its loud at 10v totally normal id say mine is the same I even run it at 10.5 or a bit higher sometimes opening the give up does make it louder and slappyer sounding mine has gotten slightly quitter with regular use . I probably wouldn't bother sending it in man sounds pretty normal to me ill see if I can get a video of mine. The loudness doesn't bother me the only reason it is louder then a capo is because the give is open if I crank it tight its almost identical my nedz mr1.02 now that has a coil like sound to it on 5 volts (pretty high for that machine)

And I do find the give a little stiff using disposable but works great on t tech. If using disposable open it up 2 full turns t tech only one full turn but I have gotten used to no give so eitheeway it works great even fully cranked I almost prefer it like that, I'm happy the give is a little more stiff as it allows it to work perfect with t tech instead of having to have it cranked tight to even get the machine running

No Iron Machines
10-17-2012, 05:49 PM
some ROTARY run with more NOISE, but is not big problem, the important is that run good, don worry to much about NOISE, they always less respect COILS....

chris-in-cali
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
why is the "how to lube" video no longer available?

Pain Inc
10-17-2012, 06:17 PM
^^^ Can't find it either. Had watched the video before I bought both of mine. It is close for me to break them down and give them a lube, was going to use the video as a guide. Links to other location if possible. Thanks in advance.

johndameart
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
every machine may run different, I was a big user of neuma for a few years, they all run differently. unfortunately, it happens.. if its sounding WAY out of the ordinary, Contact Fk, Im sure they can take a look at it, They are always willing to make sure there products are working Wonderfully. I just noticed from past use of neuma, they all "break in" completely differently.

fkirons
11-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey guys. Sorry I just intercepted this thread.
Here is the thing. Synthetic grease alone is does not do the trick efficiently. We've learned that with my own machines. The Synthetic oil becomes abrasive when dragging particles of anodize/ aluminum and delrin. So, right when we noticed that (something that happens to many rotaries) we did our homework and landed with a formulated oil that cleans, lube and mixes with the Synthetic grease turning your machine dead silent.

I own basically every rotary put there and that is a problem that I noticed with most of them after hours of use.
We even tried this formula with the many rotaries I own and the changes are day and night.

I removed the lubing video because the new one is coming out and I didn't want people to keep doing that.
Any machine that has a delrin slide that glides against the bare anodized aluminum part is prone to create more and more friction when running with grease.

The grease is too thick to penetrate in between the parts and lubricate efficiently. Therefore this formulated oil that mixes with the grease will give you better lubrication between the pats, will clean the parts making the machine silent.

It could happen that due to poor lubrication your slider ended up fitting lose now, if that's the case we can service the machine (replace slider) at cost and shipping.

We stand behind our product and like I promised for limited time the one free bottle of oil will be available to original owners with prove of purchase. The oil will be also available on the site for purchase.

The good thing is that you don't need to take the machine apart.
This oil is not ptfe oil. We have tested PTFE oil and its too thin and pours away fast.

As soon as video goes up I will post. For service inquiry email us or fill out this form when sending your machine:
http://www.fkirons.com/shop/service-your-machine

Again this Oil makes wonders!

Eturnus
11-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I still would like one lemme know :))