PDA

View Full Version : Roy Richardson Direct drive is rattling?

Miss Jo Black
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I have ha amy amazing roy richardson (uncle Roy) direct drive machine for a while now and when I first got it it was THE most incredible machine i have ever used for line work (and I am obsessed with linework!) However, it has recently developed a rattle. I contacted roy on FB and he was really helpful and said to not use a grommet or tissue but just to open the needle a small amount and make it sit snugly. I had been using tissue until this point. This made the machine perform even better at first but it was still rattling. Then it started speeding up and slowing down while i was using it. I tried my colleagues roy richardson with the identical set up to when I used mine and his runs fine. I have emailed roy again on FB but still waiting to hear back so just wondered in the mean time if anyone has any ideas?? Anything I may have knocked or accidentally adjusted?

Thank you!

Jo x

Administrator
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Rattling loaded or unloaded?

Miss Jo Black
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
It's rattling loaded. I've even tried using the same tip and needle setup on my workmates roy machine and it doesn't rattle... i've been messing with band tension and needle bend and still getting no joy from mine... anyone else had issues? x

Administrator
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
You may have a flat spot in the bearing. I know most people that use the unkle roys will hear a little rattle depending on how loose the Sheppard loop is on the needle when attached to the bearing. A flat spot in the bearing will not reduce performance it might just cause a little noise.

Miss Jo Black
10-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Thank you! Thats really helpful! :) Roy has got back to me and said send it to him to have a look at :)

Thanks again! x