PDA

View Full Version : builders: opinions on brushless.

Barrett Russell
11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I am just curious as to the lack of brushless machines being built, would love some insight as to why not other than power supply needs. maxon has some awesome 20mmm pancake that seem just begging to be tattooed with.

Sage Oz
11-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I love the idea of brushless motors and the are proven performers in the RC world. Unfortunately true brushless motors require a special speed control that has yet to be adapted to tattoo power supplies. I've been wanting to develop them in a machine with an inline adapter between the PS and clip cord, so that any ps can be used.

OwlsDen
11-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Voltage cab be an issue as well. I was looking for a small controller board to make an adapter much like that and the operating voltage was 8-24 volts. Where as most of my machines run under 8 volts. Not to mention that most power supplies top out at 12-18 volts.

Barrett Russell
11-02-2012, 01:30 AM
word mr sage. I am admittedly an RC nerd. Really that is why i was so surprised at the lack in use in machines. Brushed motors in the r/c world is so obsolete. that said, if the only diff is the PS needed, who cares...i presume all you'd need is an adapter to give you pole control. maxon has a 12 volt, 10k rpm at 3w! weighing in at 14g and flat! not to mention a brushless can change speeds without changing power/volts, which just seems awesome for tattoo applications.

Sage Oz
11-02-2012, 01:56 AM
I want to try using the 7.4-11 volt brushless motors used in the Losi micro-t and mini-t. I've got a micro t that puts out rediculous power and the motors are only about 13x25mm

slicksteel
11-02-2012, 12:53 PM
are how come nobody has used the ball bearing styl like a team losi etc. were you can remove the brushes/springs/armature and clean and replace them if needed.j clark was use them and said he was getting great results.

Barrett Russell
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
slicksteel, i think those are typically 540 size motors, i may be wrong. i have cut so many comms on those things back in the carpet racing days.

Sage Oz
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah but those are so labor intensive where as the brushless motors not only put out huge torque and rpm for their size, the revs are computer controlled, they are lighter, and maintenance free with a much longer lifetime than brushed.

slicksteel
11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
tru that is why I am waiting for your machine -oz -I know it will be kick ass for sure!:D