PDA

View Full Version : Oil painting is hard and patience challenging

chrishess
11-15-2012, 09:54 PM
2nd attempt at this medium. I always am in awe of the tattooers that can oil paint really well. This is a machine my buddy built. Classic walker. Still not finished. Little details here and there14574

Tkocevar1
11-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Oil painting is definitely tough. What's even more aggravating is watching people bust out amazing pieces alla prima. Which I myself can't seem to do... Ever. What you did looks good though. Amazing for your second oil work. Using some vandyke brown or even ultramarine glazed over certain parts would really make it pop IMO . And getting some super white highlights to make things look shiny would really benefit this piece. Very nice job so far

chrishess
11-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Seriously. I don't know what kind of crack these guys are smoking. I want to do one session if possible but I'm learning to do nice highlights and glazing, it has to dry. 3 days later I don't care about this painting anymore lol.

johndameart
11-25-2012, 02:23 PM
this is so GOOD.

CajunDave
11-26-2012, 11:41 PM
check out scott waddell and david gray. amazing oil painters my 2 favs. scott waddell and david both have some nice technique videos on youtube.

chrishess
11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks! I'll check them out. I ended up trying some glazes and some fine detailing, but Didnt end up too happy with this one. Gonna keep tryin though. Gotta love those YouTube technique videos!

GregM
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
2nd attempt at this medium. I always am in awe of the tattooers that can oil paint really well. This is a machine my buddy built. Classic walker. Still not finished. Little details here and there14574I really like this so far!keep at it

jesoner79
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
normally oil is done with a lean over fat technique like the old masters used but nowadays we have liquin and other mediums i have recently done some oils in one sitting most of it dries in like 15 mins (dries enough to add another layer) and overall will dry to the touch in an hour if u want to paint alla prima u have to learn what mediums to add when i first started with oils some of my paintings took weeks or months to dry but what u did looks great keep it goin

chrishess
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
normally oil is done with a lean over fat technique like the old masters used but nowadays we have liquin and other mediums i have recently done some oils in one sitting most of it dries in like 15 mins (dries enough to add another layer) and overall will dry to the touch in an hour if u want to paint alla prima u have to learn what mediums to add when i first started with oils some of my paintings took weeks or months to dry but what u did looks great keep it goin

thanks man, could you tell me which mediums you are using to make it dry so fast?

GregM
11-28-2012, 07:31 AM
ive had good experiences with Gamblin Galkyd lite for fast dries..