PDA

View Full Version : new direct drive machine by the tattooed pirate vs bishop rotary

primoink
11-27-2012, 08:26 PM
so i have been using a bishop and its been killing black and grey, it was a wedding present from my best man, it was custom engraved with our wedding date and name... super awesome machine and thought nothing would replace it for my black and grey machine.... i just got carys direct drive tattoo machine and used it for the first time today. man it kills it. i tattoo extremely fast and have had problems with machines keeping up with me. this one keeps up just fine. and as much as it pains me to switch from my bishop i believe this will become my main black and grey machine... i am running it at a med stroke havent messed with a short or long stroke but as its set up now its a sweet machine. what i like is the price comparaison to many machines on the market. my co worker just picked up a spektra at double the price and sure it works fine but i will take the direct drive over it any day and its half the price!. all in all after knocking out a 3 hour piece with it today, i have no complaints. the learning curve to get it to run just how i wanted was almost non existant and im loving it! not taking away from the bishop i still think its a good machine but man to man artist to artist, the direct drive will be my main black and grey machine.

slicksteel
11-27-2012, 11:15 PM
which one he has a couple are you using it for smooth wash bng or whip shading?

primoink
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
its the new direct drive, he just came out with, im using a smooth bng i will post pics when it heals so i can show how smoothly it will put in ink.

slicksteel
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
this one?:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521418727876485&set=pb.100000250881742.-2207520000.1354211999&type=3&theater

primoink
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM
ya thats the one! mine isnt red he did mine black with a cool metal flake but thats the machine. this pic is a unfinished pic and as you can see its healing, BUT... the tattoo is four days old, and its damn near healed. but i took a close up just to show how smooth the shading is. that is the direct drive with a normal 13 mag. so dont mind the healing but i think you can still make out the smoothness and what not.14937. actually the old stuff was with the bishop, so this has both as a example.

primoink
12-01-2012, 03:52 PM

slicksteel
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
ya cary makes some great machines for sure!!
have you tried the original neotat 2.5 for wash-man supersmooth,very quiet with low vibrations and superfast heals.I like to pair it with the 3.5 also.I use the 3.5 for the solid n dark blacks & white highlights and the 2.5 for all the thin washes with bugpins.
The bishop are a great combo to for dark high contrast work the 3.5 original for washes an the 4.2 for all the darks/whites
also try out a oldtimer direct drive if you like the pirates-very smooth white grey washes this one can do with ease.

Bishopbyname
12-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Direct drives are awesome for black and grey. I've got an Oldtimer DD and a Mike Metaxa Classic DD and they both excel at smooth shading.