PDA

View Full Version : Amoeba designs rotary

Baldrick
11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Ill set the scene, I'd seen images of Chris DeWitt's Amoeba Design machines and loved the way they looked - like a classic coil machine but a rotary, I wanted one real bad but as with everything I held back until I had researched the machines some more. There's not too many reviews on these but I found there are some seriously skilled tattooists using theses so that was enough for me - that and Chris and I were exchanging some banter over Instagram and I thought balls to it - order one.

I had Chris make a custom "dark" machine his usual brass parts he painted black for me - I'm not one against "bling" but I didn't want any shiny parts distracting me looking at the hand crafted frame ;)

After bouncing a few emails back and forth, I went for a 4mm stroke - And left the final motor covering choices to Chris and waited for my new toy to arrive ..... Didn't have to wait as long as I though and within 2.5 weeks it arrived - I was like a kid in a sweet shop, ripping open the packaging !!!!!
First impressions were - wow - the amount of time and love that had gone into carving and building the frame is clear to see, the result is a really strong, well balanced machine that's looks amazing.
Now I'm a fan of precision machined anodised alloy - such as HM machines and the Stigmas, and don't get me wrong even with these hand crafted frames there is some precision work going on here.

So after playing with some settings and running in for a few mins - I loaded up a 5rl and starting around 7 volts, I so desperately wanted this machine to work straight off, but as I struggled to get the results I wanted I had to put it down and swap over to my trusted DK cranker to finish.

Ok so second go with the machine, another small banger, I found that whilst lining it felt like the hit was too soft, so I loaded a 7 mag and tried so colour packing - Wow, wow, fucking wow - what a beast !!! It was packing colour faster and smoother than any machine I have - even slightly better than my DK mini direct drives ( and I love them - all 3 )

Since then I've used the Amoeba Design machine daily on all different age clients, different body areas and different styles of tattoos and its performing faultlessly using 7,9 and 13 mags

If anybody is considering one - do it you won't regret it !!!

On top of all that Chris is a top guy, he even have me a credit on part of the postage as it didn't cost as much as he thought.

To sum it up its a beautiful piece of metal, hand crafted with great skill into a smooth running, very silent, colour packing demon !!!

Credit where it's due Chris - awesome dude.

Wonderland
11-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Really good review. I have liked his machines for some time now.

Amoebadesigns
11-29-2012, 03:37 AM
Thank you so much for the review man, was a pleasure reading just as it was a pleasure building your machine for you. :)

Baldrick
11-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Thank you so much for the review man, was a pleasure reading just as it was a pleasure building your machine for you. :)

What even with the errors in grammar - to be fair I did type all that on my iPhone ;)

Credit where's it due Chris - I love my machine - so do my co workers - deffo have to lock in in the safe at night ;)

Fatlad5
11-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Nice review, pic of said holy grail? :)

skinmech
11-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Nice review, thanks ...P:)

skinmech
11-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Hey Paul, check the time of yer post..Freaky.

sacredsouls
11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I have a 4mm Amoeba Designs Rotary as well. I have 3 of his coils machines and there are 9 of his in the shop. You could say we love this guy. His machines are top notch and run so good. His customer service is amazing. He always takes the time to answer all my questions.

I agree with Baldrick on the color part. It saturates color better than any machine I have ever ran. I have done a little black and grey with it and it very smooth there too.

I haven't tried lining with it yet but I am going to soon.

All I can say is thank you Chris for an awesome line of machines.

Eturnus
11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
should post pics of machine babies.

Baldrick
11-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice review, pic of said holy grail? :)

Ill take some tomorrow and post em up.

sacredsouls
11-29-2012, 02:56 PM

Here is mine machine. Not trying to Hijack your thread Baldrick just showing off Chris' handiwork

Miss Claire
11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Good to see a review on these, I've been ogling Chris' machines for a while too. they're frickin GORGEOUS. I just picked up some rotaryworks so it might be a minute before I'm able to buy an amoeba machine, but they are next on the list for me. beautiful machines.

Baldrick
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Just found some pics - no animal skin on mine ;)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/ty5ejuda.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/gase3yse.jpg

sacredsouls
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I really like the blacked out components on yours. I saw the elephant hide and had to have it. Such a cool texture to it.

Amoebadesigns
12-01-2012, 04:27 AM
I didnt know you were on here Gump.

sacredsouls
12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Yea man. Been on here almost everyday since I found this forum. Haven't been a member long but I dig this place.