PDA

View Full Version : direct drive no nipples

possessed2sk8
02-16-2011, 03:03 AM
what are peoples opinions on these type of rotaries where you just attach the needle bar straight to the bearing? do you notice any difference in how they tattoo? has anyone tattooed with these very much? apologies if this has been talked about already i couldn't find it if so

fkirons
02-16-2011, 03:12 AM
They work just fine. I actually like them a lot.

Administrator
02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
You may need to widen your needle eye a little to accommodate the bearing. Not all needle bars are created equal so you can pry it open a little by hooking it into the back stem of your tube. If you use disposables you may want to buy a pair of really small ring openers or if you have a piercer at the shop just borrow theirs.

Dan Kubin and Mike Metaxa's machines will both accept paper towel and nipple/grommets as well but still give you the direct drive power.

possessed2sk8
02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks! I have two from Mike that I love! Also one on the way from Dan. Am considering one from Roy Richardson or shag is why I ask. I mostly use them for for coloring and whipshading. just wondering if there is any play or slippage or inconsistency. Thanks

Alie K
02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
You may need to widen your needle eye a little to accommodate the bearing. Not all needle bars are created equal so you can pry it open a little by hooking it into the back stem of your tube. If you use disposables you may want to buy a pair of really small ring openers or if you have a piercer at the shop just borrow theirs.

Actually, I've used disposables to pry open the needle eye as well. The eyes are not that stiff to bend.