PDA

View Full Version : Old Timer questions :^)

devans
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Got my Old Timer. Thing is............ I asume I need to open the needle eye up to get it on. But cant I use a gromet ? what do you folks do ? just leav it metal on metal ?. Also what rubber bands do you use ?

I know some of you are tutting at me or calling me a TW%T. But I could realy do with your input.

I love the look of it though :) you could chisel stone with this thing.

Many thanks.
Dallas.

skinmech
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
No Gromm just metal on metal, and some people use a large o-ring instead of an elastic band...I use ord bands or the smaller "halo" type bands...like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-500-BLACK-HAIR-BRAIDING-RUBBER-ELASTIC-BANDS-/270727690914?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_HairCare_Electric al_Hair_Styling_ET&hash=item3f08a0baa2

devans
12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Cool, we already have 100s of those for the kids hair. Tiz hard to grip the needle loop round the nipple en it,,,,, or do you think I will just get used to doing it ?. Lovely lookin machine though.......... looks old fashioned :) ....HEY ????? that might be why its called an Old Timer :) clever en I :) .

skinmech
12-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Just open up with the edge of a pair of scissors, only takes 2 secs, easier to do than explain,LOL...

peter clements
12-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I do not like these cam set-ups that require you open up the needlebar eyelet in order for it to snick onto the armature nipple, I just don't see the point. I much prefer the DDs that have a nipple where you can use a grommet, what's the advantage of metal to metal? That's why I sold my Roy Richardson, all that damn fucking about opening eyelets up that have to be just right.

For instance http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/6839-Old-School-Rotary ,to me that's better.

Baldrick
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't have my old timer anymore, but I never had to open up the needle loop - they fit, it's nice and tight but they will go on.

Peter, I find with the silicone tubing I use instead of grommets I have to open the the loop slightly, I just use a small pair of long nose pliers - takes 3 seconds.

peter clements
12-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't have my old timer anymore, but I never had to open up the needle loop - they fit, it's nice and tight but they will go on.

Peter, I find with the silicone tubing I use instead of grommets I have to open the the loop slightly, I just use a small pair of long nose pliers - takes 3 seconds.

Exactly, silicone tubing is ideal Simon,and you can use a slightly thicker type if you want to create a little "give" but you can't have this option in those clip on situations.

Deakon
12-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Or you can just open the eyelet up on the edge of your back stem if you are using stainless tubes.

directDRIVE
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Looks like I've been beaten to it, but... Yup, just open the loop slightly

Though as someone rightly said, not all needle bars are created equally, some will fit right out of the packet, some won't, and if you find some that do, chances are that the supplier will change its manufacturer at some point in the future, then you're back to square one :o <- pointless sentence, but true none the less.

There is no real 'point' to the cam/bearing nipple situation on these, or Roy's, or any other's that use this set up for that matter - other than the fact that you can use a smaller diameter cam/cam with no 'step' which cuts weight, look's neater, erm... and it also means that there's no grommet to shred or destroy

But I would say that :rolleyes:

devans
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
SOOOOO, I will get used to it then ???????? Is that what your saying :p

So I shouldnt over open it and then try and re-grip it tight ? , , , , I should open it to the correct size so it just about slips on, and leave it like that ?????.

skinmech
12-16-2012, 03:25 PM

So I shouldnt over open it and then try and re-grip it tight ? , , , , I should open it to the correct size so it just about slips on, and leave it like that ?????.

Yep, yer band will hold it tight....as said above some needle loops fit straight on, some need opened slightly...P

slicksteel
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
dermagrapics makes bars that fit on-make sure you use one that have a complete round eyelet on top -some some taper in at a angle as the bend around-those tend to not run as smooth and wear the bearing area uneven. also dont put the eye on to tight were you have to force it on are you will pull the bearing off try to get the bar free.
take a couple of bars at practice till you get the right size it should not be sloppy but with a very little pressure push go and be free once its on with a very small space. you can use the stem end or a small pair of pliers like stated.

slicksteel
12-16-2012, 04:04 PM
directDRIVE are you going to make any with the other style cam but custom to your machines?

ckjr
12-16-2012, 04:09 PM
You can just use the back stem on your tube to open the needle bar up some and any grocery store sells the little rubber bands for hair. You can get 1000 for a couple dollars.

lost in this strange galaxy.....
instagram @ckealohajr_tattoo
facebook.com/tawkpidgin

devans
12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I use disposable tubes and grips at one shop and stainless at another. And I also use different needles at each place. Need mi own shop with mi own supplies that I want to use realy.

Thanks for all the advice folks, Its realy helped loads.

Regards,
Dallas.

directDRIVE
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM

You will get used to it, absolutely - Its no more fiddly than squishing in a grommet, and certainly easier than anally folding tiny paper towel squares (oh how I miss that)

Absolutely do not over open it, and then try to retighten it on the bearing, you WILL crush the bearing, and you'll never get it tight enough to stop it from rattling around due to the spring-back in the steel

directDRIVE
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
directDRIVE are you going to make any with the other style cam but custom to your machines?

Short answer... I have toyed with the idea, but for now I'm sticking with what I know - I'll PM you the long answer

devans
12-18-2012, 06:20 AM
pm me the same answer directDRIVE :) .....pleas.

MAD DOG
12-18-2012, 08:49 PM
The standard type of long bladed scissors has just the right amount of width (thickness) for what you are looking for with no guessing . Stick the blade (one) of the scissors in the eyelet of the needle till it stops , slightly pry up and out toward the opening and pull the blade through the opening this will open the eyelet just enough to do what you need to do dont worrie to much about the size of the opening because you are just trying to get the blade to just fit through the eyelet . It will be the size you need but do this only once as to not open it to far this is good for the round eyelet needle bars the tapered ones like stated above dont need it but arent good for the bearings . As for the comment on not needing to bend the eyelet i use standard sized nips on my machines and i use some of the best needles of several brands in the industry and i have to bend every needle (except tapered) i use on every machine i have ! So to bend or not to bend ....it a matter of preference , style , and need ! Have a nice day !!!