PDA

View Full Version : Old-Timer pointers

jonpiper
12-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I just got an Old-Timer rotary for Christmas from my loving gf, and just used it for the first time today. What I was wondering is what speed to run it at. I was packing color at about 6volts and it seemed to work ok but I had to move extra slow. I'm more into traditional tattooing and hear that they are great for whipshading, so I was wanting some tips on whipping with it. Volts, hand speed, etc. Any help is much appreciated! :)

devans
12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Com on folks :) I had one for xmas off mi wife,,,,,,,,, but I aint used it yet.

jonpiper
01-02-2013, 05:50 PM
nobody? any pointers? i read the other thread about them and there was a lot of good info but nothing about speeds and whipshading.

slicksteel
01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
for whips slow it down and use a bit faster hand speed and a thinner lining ink.

jonpiper
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
thanks man! I appreciate the advice! btw I've used that cutback liner you built for Brian and it's awesome!

slicksteel
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
thanks man! I appreciate the advice! btw I've used that cutback liner you built for Brian and it's awesome!thanks!
now all you guys need is a standard liner from me.;)
direct drives tend to work great for color packing traditional n jap style and large solid grey fields -push the needles in and keep them at a steady depth and pace using a rectangle side to side motion the size of the needle group for color/solid greys and when doing a end of shade fade do the same motions as you use less depth and pressure-let the machine do the work. when doing your long grainy style shading whips do not angle it as much as a coil and dont whip it as fast -you will find that you dont have to go over the whips as much as a coil-it will seem slower at first if your use to faster hand motions but it actually is faster as you dont have to do as many passes.
hope this help!:)

jonpiper
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
thanks man! i'm excited to give it a try! :D
and i'll be hitting you up soon about a machine. i'm wanting a good set i really dig that little cutback

devans
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that slicksteel :) . Directdrive (who builds them) advised to run them around 7 to 8 volts for solid colour, but hand speed ect plays a part as well obviously.

jonpiper
01-09-2013, 04:04 PM
thanks for the advice guys! I'll be putting it to good use! :)

(Opted Out)
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Ok so im now hoping to pick up and old timer and have seen on other threads that ddo are good for black and grey, do they work for nice soft b&g?.. As i understand from my friends in the industry they use ddo for the pepper effect traditional whip shading...

slicksteel
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
with practice they can do it all.

(Opted Out)
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah i know any machine can do anything in theory, but rotaryworks mini crankers and rapier2's line like nobody's business.... Neotat's pack colour like a monster, hyper's blend smooth colour so well, do ddo's specifically old timers do nice smooth b&g or are they designed to and excel in packing colour and trad pepper shade?..

slicksteel
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I they can do bng no problem-the motors he uses has a very good power range just turn it up a bit-use a oring ,bugpins and set the stroke back -set the stroke out more and use standard tapers for whipping and use rubberbands with low tension which will let it move side to side more in the tube.

(Opted Out)
01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info slicksteel! Super useful! :)

jonpiper
01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd say from what I can tell using mine if you just barely hang your needle out of the tube and turn it up on the volts it would be good for soft b&g. just what i've learned in the short ammount of time i've used mine. they are great for packing solid and whip shading for sure though!

slicksteel
01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I'd say from what I can tell using mine if you just barely hang your needle out of the tube and turn it up on the volts it would be good for soft b&g. just what i've learned in the short ammount of time i've used mine. they are great for packing solid and whip shading for sure though!
yep thats the way to do it.you will find it actually easier then others for large pieces. Throw a a 23 or larger and you will get the smoothest most even tones of greywash compared to other rotarys. big is better!!!:p at least thats what most women say. lol But you can also get smooth with small mags to.

devans
01-11-2013, 04:25 AM
DDO's open the skin more than DDL's. The side to side motion actualy opens up the holes produced in the skin, letting in more ink for a more solid fill. Soooo DDO's perform perfect for solid black or colour fill. But they also shade well to (pepper or soft) you just have to find how to set them up for your needs/style.

I would say........................ BUY AN OLD TIMER. And if you cant get on with it I will buy it off ya :)

jonpiper
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I love my Old Timer. I'm still learning and experimenting with speeds and such but I am so happy to have it. Plus I really love the looks of it. Classy. It just seems like a great all around machine