PDA

View Full Version : Ikarus Rotary?

MickWrath
01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
I happen to come across this machine while on Evilbay, just curious if anyone has any information or experience with one of these machines. The builder is from Slovenia. Thanks Mick-

Administrator
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
My personal opinion is the design is not terribly well thought out. The thumb nut and tube vice look like they will be a pain to operate, particularly for disposables. The armature bare nipple to tube vice length is short limiting the types of tubes you can use and how much you want to tuck. Its clean looking otherwise and it looks inspired by other established builders. the one interesting thing is if the cam arm will bend or collapse a little under pressure. The slit and hole in the middle give this impression.

R0st0ck
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Here is the Facebooklink https://www.facebook.com/IkarusRotaryTattooMachines

http://youtu.be/FnsHSzUOSJA
(https://www.facebook.com/IkarusRotaryTattooMachines)

MickWrath
01-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Looks interesting enough, I'm always curious about individual builders. I agree about the tube stem spacing, maybe a little more overall length would be nice. The thumb screw could easily be swapped though. I wonder what type of motor he is using and I don't see the cam arm being a problem if its milled aluminum, delrin or ptfe on the other hand I would prefer the cross notch to not be there as it would be a definite concern, especially with larger mags. He stated in the description that his running voltage is 9-10 volts, so could be mabuchi, if hes using a frugal quality motor. At $180 retail price you can rule out Maxon, Faulhaber, and Portescap, but who really knows anything could be under that hood.

Fatlad5
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Looks nice enough, sounds nice too, the motor might be ok, Dan Kubin for example can replace a motor for 20-25 dollars

R0st0ck
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
The Price is 180$ and the machine has an Mabuchi-Motor.....i think the price is okay

OwlsDen
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Price sounds reasonable. Does look a bit like other machines too. But I would consider trying one.

turion68
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
The guy who builds them is Mark Lemer. I have just bought one from him and should have it in a week or so.

MickWrath
01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Turion def post a review on her once you got a couple hours of run time. : )

Administrator
01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Looks interesting enough, I'm always curious about individual builders. I agree about the tube stem spacing, maybe a little more overall length would be nice. The thumb screw could easily be swapped though. I wonder what type of motor he is using and I don't see the cam arm being a problem if its milled aluminum, delrin or ptfe on the other hand I would prefer the cross notch to not be there as it would be a definite concern, especially with larger mags. He stated in the description that his running voltage is 9-10 volts, so could be mabuchi, if hes using a frugal quality motor. At $180 retail price you can rule out Maxon, Faulhaber, and Portescap, but who really knows anything could be under that hood.

My impression of the cam arm collapsing was more if it would work more like a spring like it could be a little soft hit mechanism.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

MickWrath
01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Confirmation of the cam arm material is hard plex.

slicksteel
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
he also told me he will make in different stroke lenghts

turion68
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Ye he does 3 stroke lengths 2.5, 3.5 and 4.2 mm I think. I went for the 4.2mm and I will post a review after I have used the machine for a couple of hours.

OwlsDen
02-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Ye he does 3 stroke lengths 2.5, 3.5 and 4.2 mm I think. I went for the 4.2mm and I will post a review after I have used the machine for a couple of hours.

So have you received the machine yet, any first impressions? Care to share weight, voltage, any other specs..

MickWrath
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Also curious about this review. Mick-

OwlsDen
09-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Well I ordered one this morning. He also offered me a new version with an adjustable cam. I opted for that and agreed to wait a couple extra days for that version and all in black. He isn't very far away from me Slovenia is just on the other side if the Czech Republic, so I imagine I will get the machine. Within the next two weeks. As soon as I get it I will do my best to put up a review.

reigningink
09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I have a 4.2mm stroke one. It was actually a very smooth running ,damn near silent machine. But mine is no longer working because the bar that connects the cam to the abar broke. It was made of acrylic and snapped. I'm going to make a new one out of alluminum soon. But other than that quality issue, it was a good color packer. Can't wait to hear about the new adjustable one. Owl, will ya share your thoughts on it once you have had a chance to play with it?

OwlsDen
09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
I have a 4.2mm stroke one. It was actually a very smooth running ,damn near silent machine. But mine is no longer working because the bar that connects the cam to the abar broke. It was made of acrylic and snapped. I'm going to make a new one out of alluminum soon. But other than that quality issue, it was a good color packer. Can't wait to hear about the new adjustable one. Owl, will ya share your thoughts on it once you have had a chance to play with it?

I absolutely will.

Btw, Reigningink he asked me, to ask you to get in touch with him over your issue.

Mark5
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a 2.5mm I use for black and grey,I bought it as I wanted to try a 2.5mm stroke for black and grey and it was a cheap option and I think it is a very well made machine.

OwlsDen
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I have a 2.5mm I use for black and grey,I bought it as I wanted to try a 2.5mm stroke for black and grey and it was a cheap option and I think it is a very well made machine.

Have you used it for anything else? What voltage range was it best suited for?

So far the builder has been really great, and has even sent me pictures of the build. I am pretty excited.

gangstajay
09-06-2013, 09:37 PM

hey Mark there was a post awhile back about this machine... the builder doesn't tattoo but his girl does..thats why he made it. he is a real nice fella. he joined the forum but everyone was bashing his machine because of the video and tattoos being done that were not that great. I own one and it is actually a well built machine for 180.00 bucks..runs good about 10v I have a 3.7mm and he made me another bearing at 2.5mm. I like tattooing with it..I use my bishop most of the time or my nedz. but was not disappointed in this machine and they are affordable if someone was looking to get into rotary's and don't want to drop 500.00 in a machine. hope this helps...he also has a DD version also

gangstajay
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
My personal opinion is the design is not terribly well thought out. The thumb nut and tube vice look like they will be a pain to operate, particularly for disposables. The armature bare nipple to tube vice length is short limiting the types of tubes you can use and how much you want to tuck. Its clean looking otherwise and it looks inspired by other established builders. the one interesting thing is if the cam arm will bend or collapse a little under pressure. The slit and hole in the middle give this impression.
the tube vice and thumb nut are a very well made..and I use disposables and SS tubes and have never had an issue....the cam arm is a harder thicker plastick then what is on the mini cranker.

OwlsDen
09-13-2013, 07:32 AM
So my new version with the adjustable stroke arrived today. Haven't tattooed with it ( I have 30 mins before my next appointment so I will today ), but I ran it and it is quiet with a lot of power. I was surprised how powerful it feels. There is pretty much zero give, but I might switch out the grommet for silicone for the first run and that will add about 2% give haha. All in all it is built really nice and I am very impressed with the thought put into it. It is a tad heavier than I expected but not so much that it bothers me. I think I will do a full review when I get some time on it. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/13/ejabu2y2.jpg

Oh and I ordered it custom and had it in my hands within a week. That is service!