PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne Bugpins (not really?)

Gearphyr
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
I didn't see any discussion over this, so here it is.
Cheyenne apparently against all tradition, doesn't believe 'bugpin' in tattooing means a smaller needle diameter. Instead their tapers are spiraled.

7r 0.3mm = 7r bugpin 0.3mm

Take a look:
http://www.cheyenne-tattoo.com/uploads/media/NeedleConfigurations_screen.pdf

This spiral info was told to me by Cheyenne themselves at the last Paradise, yet they couldn't give me any kind of technical effect information other than a pompous "Our engineers disagree and this is best" with a thick accent. Ok- sure. Spirals might do something, but I sure haven't been able to tell what they do. But why label them bugpins at all? Anyone have an insight into this?

EDIT: shit, wrong location. Move to Needles???

johndameart
01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree, if they ARENT ((bug pins)).....They need to be labeled as such. put spiral needle configuration and explain on the needle choices..

Tkocevar1
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Weak

Sarenity Tattoo
01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
spiraled? so their needles arent actually any smaller, just machined smaller/longer tapers?

{7r 0.3mm = 7r bugpin 0.3mm} = ???

fkirons
01-09-2013, 10:20 PM
long tapers, in my experience are better than bugpins because they have a smaller diameter puncture, yet they are spaced out more than bugpins (because of the tappered. Bugpins are easy to overwork the skin because are small in diameter with very little space in between, producing more punctures/ over punctures as you move your hand.
I agree that, if they are no bugpins they should be labeled as such.

Gearphyr
01-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Diameter AND taper are the same. The only difference is they're supposed to have a subtle screw shape to them in the taper.

My second question is.. wtf does that do?? More pigment implantation in shallow passes?

fkirons
01-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Diameter AND taper are the same. The only difference is they're supposed to have a subtle screw shape to them in the taper.

My second question is.. wtf does that do?? More pigment implantation in shallow passes?
Diameter and taper are not the same. Taper is the angle + length of the needle tip only. Diameter or gauge is the radius x2 of the stainless steel filament to craft the needle from.

Gearphyr
01-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Diameter and taper are not the same. Taper is the angle + length of the needle tip only. Diameter or gauge is the radius x2 of the stainless steel filament to craft the needle from.
I know, I didn't click the right button to quote Seranity. I was trying to explain to Seranity that there is no difference in taper or diameter between Cheyenne's regular and bugpin needles.

JohnnyChaos
01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I noticed when they came out that their diameter was listed as 0.35mm, where as some of their normal mags are 0.3mm. I've never tried them, but that didn't make sense to me. Thought it was maybe a typo

tattoosbymikemiller
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
yeah i had the same issue when they sent me the bug pins it had me scratching my head.. im really not a fan of hawk needles i find there too fanned apart and give yeah alot of pepper and rusults in poor saturation. Needle jig .10 pins are awsome for colour blending and mithra .8 pins are great for black & gray. i do agree with gaston bugs can chew up faster but i find it hard to get the same result with anything but.

BertelsenArt&Tattoo
05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Hawk needles are already a small diameter similar to most "bugpins" sold by other companies and their "power" needle groups seem to be closer to regular sized needles... the new "bugpin" needles under a 20x loop just look very similar to "textured" needles you get from other companies. I agree with gaston that they should not be labeled as "bugpins" because they're not smaller... It really seems like they should have been labeled "textured". These needles seem to work the same as all other textured needles and might put in slightly more ink in a single pass... but they also cause slightly more damage to the skin... Both needles seem to work good for me in my thunder.