PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Slide Machines

PAWNJOB
01-16-2013, 03:16 AM
I love my Capo 3.6 for shading blending and color packing, super smooth. I just recently got to try of a vivace 3.5 which is even smoother than my Capo! I really liked it. I've read so many comparisons between the capo and vivace and so many people say they're so similar that it's difficult to tell much difference between the two . Granted I've only had 1 go with it but I did some detailed solid black work with a vivace and I have to say even at higher volts it seemed to have a considerably softer hit then my cap. Even w/ a small mag (7 or a 9 I believe) I didn't feel that it packed color as well as my capo at all, but I can't wait to try some B&G and blending with it. It's at the top of my list for new machines. Also really anxious to try the longer stroke of both machines for some color packing but mostly for lining. I'm really curious to see how they work. Not thrilled with their lining abilities whatsoever at the 3.5 mm stroke.

Super stoked on Slicksteel's review of the Impact rotary and the news about the soft, medium and hard slides at both 3.5 and 4.2 mm stroke lengths. These might end up being the answer for me. I'm loving this type of slide mechanism, and with 3 options for a fixed give setting I'm pretty excited.

Just ordered a Mini Cranker though after reading too many great reviews on their lining capabilities. I'm really feeling the no give route as the stroke is so much more deliberate and precise. It honestly still scares me to line w/o give at this point though. But I'm finding no-give machines seem to be less of a headache as well. I'm really tired of fucking around with machines. It's basically why I switched over to rotaries in the first place, and so far my machines equipped with give settings have caused some issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MickWrath
01-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Don't be worried about lining with the cranker, one of its inherent traits that make it such an amazing liner is its "organic give". The cranker is definitely not a "no give" machine, but doesn't have a traditional give either, more like a natural dampening when under resistance. A perfect harmony to help prevent the needle from depositing too much pigment and trauma per stitch contributing to cobwebbing and blowouts, but still enough force to keep the needle from bouncing off the tissue as well, causing the need for unnecessary push force from the hand. When you have to scratch the surface of the skin or push to get consistency you are fighting the machine and its not an ideal situation. You can feel that harmonic vibration and perfect reaction in your stretching hand when your depth and hand speed are correctly in tune with the volts and machine. The natural dampening gives us artists a slightly larger room for technical error without seeing those unsatisfactory results during application. IMHO "give" is without a doubt one half of the formula to making a great rotary liner, whether it be adjustable or a natural dampening like the cranker. The other is a longer 4-4.5mm stroke, no snagging at faster hand speeds. YMMV but for me it holds true, bottom line is if you do your part your DK mini cranker will surely do hers. Mick~

(Opted Out)
01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah i have neotat vivace's and bishop slide machines are awesome.. Havent lined with bishop uet but i have heard there pretty good

Brian Russell
01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I've used both machines and stroke lengths. The 4.2 is much better for lining to me, but is quite a bit louder than the 3.5.