PDA

View Full Version : swash whip getting really damn hot!

Caleb's Addiction
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
So, lining with my whip at around 10v, the bastard starts to heat up almost immediately and within 10 minutes is literally hot to the touch. Got it in a trade, supposedly with only 20 hours on it.

Anyone had similar experience?

johndameart
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
does your other machines heat up at all? what kind of power supply are you using. I honestly havent heard of that, usually indicates a bad connection or motor going bad....

Caleb's Addiction
01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Nope, as a matter of fact I have a swash slide, that I run around 10.5 for packing and it stays cool.

joelhague
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Maybe the 20 hours were on a shitty supply and it burned up the brushes in the motor? The swash whip needs to be run on a lab supply Unimax recommends

slicksteel
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
listen to the motor in a quiet room-if its bad it will sound rough with the crank off-also on the whips the motor might have got pushed forword or back a bit in the housing which can cause binding of the motor shaft.and like stated before if there is bad wiring or loose connection it will cause a motor to overheat.

Caleb's Addiction
01-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Motor is quiet. No noise. The motor is the same as in the slide and in side by side comparison they sound the same. Using a hurricane digital power supply.

Fuck me, traded my last Kubin Cranker to try this out and I get a fried motor!

serial1313
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Motor is quiet. No noise. The motor is the same as in the slide and in side by side comparison they sound the same. Using a hurricane digital power supply.

Fuck me, traded my last Kubin Cranker to try this out and I get a fried motor! That knock off power supply is probably your problem.

reigningink
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I used to have one of the hurricane power supplies as a back up. Used it for a few days at a guest spot. While I was using a swash gen6 that had never given me any issues on my eikon, it started warming up and running erratic. Kept checking the connections, couldn't figure it out. When I got back to my shop, hooked it up to my ems 400, it ran a bit better, but the motor crapped 2 days later. I really believe the hurricane killed it. I don't know how, dirty signal.... signal noise..... amperage jumps and dips? I'm not sure. But I agree with everyone else, try a different, better quality power supply.

Caleb's Addiction
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't be the same problem with the slide then? I've run crankers, nicks, Nedz, fowler coils, neo, bishops, and the slide on it with no issues.

vodu
01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
How's it turning the cycle by hand? Hard or smooth?

Enviado de meu GT-I9100 usando o Tapatalk 2

slicksteel
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
yea those ps have fucked alot of rotary-some motor are sensitive to them-they were ment to run coils only.
the best ps for rotary are simple ones with a . selection and a intrenal transformer etc or a mastech and labgrade ones

Caleb's Addiction
01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Smooth. I'm guessing its the power supply. One of the other artists in the shop has an eikon ems 200, I'm gonna try it and see if it makes a difference.

Panos tattoo
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Is it a real swashdrive? I bought a wip from a guy for 200 pounds and it is a monkey. Not those 20 dollar knockoffs from e bay, a one with a better motor but still not the real thing. To difficult to tell the difference if u havent seen the originals.

Panos tattoo
02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
What i meen is dont buy or trade machines thinking its a good deal unless its from a wellknown company who will do its best to please you. You cant imagine how idiot i felt when i found out i was scammed

rowdy
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Doesn't make any sense to me spend hard earned money on awesome machines. Then skimp on the unit that delivers the power to those machines. Don't buy knock offs they are knock offs for a reason!! I hate when I hear people say things like yeah I bet if you opened up the hurricane and the critical it's the same! NO!! Way get yourself a solid critical supply or a eikon that runs rotary you won't have the same issues and you won't notice bad power delivery till you switch but when you do your going to love it!! Just my 2 cents

serial1313
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
You can do a search for Hurricane on here & read about people bitching about their machines getting hot because they are using a Hurricane instead of a Critical. There is no excuse, you can get a CX-1 shipped to you $180. They run rotaries perfect.

rowdy
02-25-2013, 01:31 AM
True^^

Caleb's Addiction
02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys, I've solved my power supply problems and am using a EMS 200. Going to be purchasing a CX-2 very soon.