PDA

View Full Version : Rotaryworks ID... Review.. (Protoype)

skinmech
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys, I managed to get a hold of one of the few prototypes of the New Rotaryworks ID Machine...It is due for release , so here is a small review on it...It is a 2.5mm+ Direct Drive Linear Machine..

Session 1

Okay so I have had the RW ID for a week and thought I would feed back to you guys. On my first session using it the ID was a fun, Pick up and Play DDL Machine. Hits nice and soft and super smooth at 4v's, I reckon between 4 and 6v's will do most tasks, and you still have some more room for adjustment either side of that range. It is a 2.5mm stroke and will make a Bloody good Colour Machine....I used a 9 curved Mag today, and a loose 8, just for some infill...I will give it a full test on Sat...Stunning Machine so far, and the Engineering and Balance are spot on, I was very surprised how light it is, and I didn't notice any vibration.

I know it can hit soft on low volts, and still is nice and "punchy", too many machines will hit too soft, and can't penetrate the skin, so to counter act this you increase the volts.. We all know that an increase in volts usually means faster Speed & increased Force of Hit....I am pretty sure this is where the low end torque of the motor plays its part.

Due to the short stroke, I feel it has the Makings of a dedicated Colour Machine, I like at least a 3.5mm stroke for Lining....I would use this for colour-work-all kinds, and I prefer the RW Classic or the Triple for Lining..The RW Triple will be a very hard machine to beat...By anybody..

Session 2

I ran the ID today on a Chest piece..I used Round Shaders and a curved 13 Mag.Due to the different skin type I found I had to increase the volts, so I ran the ID between 6.2V's & 6.8.V's.....The thing is, it never ran that much faster, just hit harder and the stroke was consistent...This is a very smooth machine. If skin resistance kicks in, and then all you do is increase the volts slightly...It’s like painting by numbers...I don't think it is a Lining Machine, but, as I said before, I prefer a longer stroke for Lining, but, it is a Precise, Dedicated Colour Machine..

Overall impressions..It has a huge range from 4 volts to well over 6 volts....It can hit from soft to hard, but on low volts it still puts yer colour in on one pass due more to the torque of the Motor than force of hit...

The torque in the motor isn't noticed and although the machine comes in at only 84 gms, vibration was almost nonexistent. In addition, because the machine is soo light it can be "thrown about" like a pencil. Oh and the shorter stroke on this, means you can have multiple passes...Spesh for building up layers with B&G work.

I would defo say it is a Colour machine, maybe in the Soft Shader/Blender class..I am positive it will Line, and Pack, but, at the suggested price, I would just buy one of these and a Triple........

Please remember this is a working prototype, so some small changes to the overall weight may occur, to the overall running, I would leave it as it is..

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Dale or Rotaryworks. I carry out impartial Reviews to the best of my ability.

slicksteel
01-21-2013, 01:33 PM
i bet it would also make a great black n grey machine and fineliner

skinmech
01-21-2013, 02:17 PM
i bet it would also make a great black n grey machine and fineliner

Yep, I agree Slick, 3rl-t7, would be no problem and as I said in the review, for smooth B&G work, the relatively low speed and high torque would let you have multiple passes without traumatising the skin. Probs the opposite of a Fast Running, Soft Hitting Coil Machine,LOL...:D

OwlsDen
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
I also think it would be perfect for a fine liner. Maybe a 2.8 - 3mm stroke might make it even more suited for the job. However from the description that you gave it sounds like a perfect 3rl machine.

skinmech
01-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah Owl, I agree with you. I feel that Machines should be built for individual purposes, I have yet to use one one Machine (Rotaries and Coils) that accomplishes everything without being modified/retuned....There is not one Paintbrush, that will accomplish all the tasks of Art work, so should we think that any one Machine will accomplish all the tasks, styles and requirements that we need..:)

Remember the Pen with 10 different coloured nibs, to select the colour you want you simply press down on the coloured Tab at the top.......These pens weren't as good, or as fun to use as having 10 Different Coloured Pens in a Pack....I kinda feel the same way about machines..:o

MAD DOG
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
yeah owl, i agree with you also. I think that machines should be built for individual purposes, and the vast majority are....there is not one paintbrush, that will suit all the tasks of art work, so why should we believe that any one machine will accomplish all the tasks..only saying..;) love dales machines i use them every day , but yes a longer stroke would be nice 3.5-5 . Keep up the good work dale .

skinmech
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
The Classic RW, and the Triple have a 4mm stroke.. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=443347519064159 ...

tattood
02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
im ordering one of these tomorrow. Cant wait . thanks for the review,this and your one on the rotary works and springer is what got me into dales machines.

Dardy2
02-11-2013, 06:01 AM
I am waiting on a reply from dale about the triple conrod skinmech you have sold it to me really like the sound of it do you prefer 6 volts or the 12 volts one :)