PDA

View Full Version : New Rotary

rollhard
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Between the following machines which would you purchase.

Stigma Hyper (if i can find one)

Dragonfly

Halo

I'm still searching for the just the right rotary machine and some thoughts from those with more experience and expertise would be really helpful. Mind you I'm only looking for this machine to do speciality work i.e. portraits, wildlife etc so it doesn't have to be a daily driver or a do it all kind of machine. I keep trying em and crossing them off the list. The guys I work with love as they get to buy off of me for good buddy prices... many thanks in advance

F
ps if you are selling one of the above or can fully endorse something not listed please hit me up

artoftatt2
01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Hyper v3 is a gem to have .. Halo is great for solid fields and color but I tend to use my hyper the most.. The dragonflys are just not enough machine for me..

serial1313
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
The V3 is great & has adjustable give that lets it handle anything & the Halo has different stroke wheels & adjustable give that you can use to do anything you want.

Barren
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
i run all 3, and for the sort of work you want it for i would go hyper (altho mine is a v2) but a v3 is on my list

(Opted Out)
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
The hyper is awesome, but dragonfly is the softest machine out there imo, (havent tried a halo thoe) dragonfly is great for multiple passes and building but i think the hyper is a better all round machine..

skarnsink
01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
i carnt put my hyper down use it for everything :) but looking to buy a short stroke df for grey work

rollhard
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
i can not find hyper in stock to save my ass, any suggests anyone ?

F

skarnsink
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
maybe killer ink uk

Sage Oz
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I Really miss my dragonfly. These are all great machines in there own right. The only down falls of each(my biased opinion):

Dragonfly: a bit underpowered for larger needles... but for portrait type work it'd be my first choice. It's really light and compact, and every smooth polished surface exudes quality.

Halo: great versatility but it has more hit even in short stroke and are louder than most rotaries. The vise is also a bit under built IMO. Still light and compact, I don't think I could ever get rid on my pink one lol.

Hyper: I've only had the V2, which was cool but it seemed too heavy, wide and overbuilt in the frame. I also didn't like the vise much but the V3 has a much better guillotine vise. It is pretty versatile and being a swashdrive system does a beautiful job with little trauma.

lab rat
01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I heart hypers

Good all around machine....balanced

Magnu
01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
One of my Hyper V2s has been used almost exclsively for about 6 months now and has never let me down.

vodu
01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
well, i love my hypers, very versatile machines, from soft to high punch in a turn...3 v3s and 1 v2 right now...and i still want one more...lol

jonpiper
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
I would have to agree about the Hyper. They're good for all around tattooing.

rollhard
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
since i wanted to try all 3 of these and hyper v3's are no where to be found i just ordered a dragonfly from tatsoul, and pick a halo here soon. hopefully one of these will do the trick for what i'm looking for. thanks for the replies and advise

F

reigningink
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
When I get to do realism, I usually use my 2.5mm halo. Its not the softest hitting machine out there, but I'm used to direct drives, so its plenty soft for me. The dragonfly short stroke is a bombass B&G shader as well. Still the changeable stroke of the halo makes it my go to machine.

asA
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
I have tried almost everything... I use my dragonflies more than anything. But my v3 comes in a close second. Also the martini davinci is a great machine, simple and super light weight and the give works amazing.

rollhard
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
got a chance to use my new dragonfly today and i must say i really dig it. super easy to use, quiet and it just hustled that ink in the skin. i ran it at 9.5-10 with a 9mag for some black and gray stuff. i will still pick up a halo and hyper but so far out of all the other rotaries i have used this is the one i have enjoyed the most.
F