PDA

View Full Version : Motors?

Richard Peel
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi all I've been fortunate enough to be able to mess around with a friends CNC machine looking at making a couple of custom rotary machines for myself but before i do I need to know if I can get hold of some motors to play around with from a UK supplier . I'm not looking at maxons or anything of this price as this is just a pet project I've heard the names faulhaber and mabuchi knocked about please can anyone help with any of these questions
Brand of motor and Uk stockist
Average size of motor
Voltage
Brushed/brushless
any other info that may help would be awesome

Thanks
All in advance

Sage Oz
01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Lots to go into here. Your needs in a motor many vary on the efficiency of the system and what kind of torque/rpm numbers that you want. Most of the motors spec'd for tattooing are gonna need at least 8,000rpm, more like 10-12k if you want it to be a zippy liner, more torque if you wanna pack with large mags. The 17x23mm size is a pretty popular choice but ive seen everything from 12x19 up to 23x46. Everybody building rotary are currently using brushed motors as you need to have special circuitry or power supplies for brushless(which are hopefully the near future as they are way better). Maxon, faulhaber, nanco and escap are on the high end of the spectrum as they use ball bearings and quality parts. Mabuchi motors are a staple for many popular uses so even though they are of a lower quality than the others, they are made by the millions(in China now, they used to be made in Japan). Since the cost is so low the overall value is quite good and they tend to be reliable workhorses at the cost of a bit of smoothness, rpms, and lifespan. They also use a 'flat' can as opposed to round. Also 12volt motors are the most popular, followed by 6v and some 3v(like special technique and workhorse irons)

tattood
01-29-2013, 08:59 PM
im cuious about the nanci. i have a nicks rotary that has one and it is great. quieter than a neo tat.. im curious of there specs .

tattood
01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
not nanci.lol.. nanco

Sage Oz
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Check out their website and see. Sometimes you can also find a few on eBay from the model locomotive guys...

tattood
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
o really im gonna look into it right now. I have used a maxom bishop, a mabuchi neotat, that nanco nicks nicks rotary for me seems to be better that is just an opinion.. also i was lookin into the rotary works motor and they are for model helicopters i believe those are great also and dont cost much

Richard Peel
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Sage thanks for the great info been doing a little research since i dropped the post and a few people said similar info so thanks, i read on one link something about using a 5watt motor is this correct or has someone made a typo as not many have Watt info on their sites, does anyone know what brand Dale at Rotary works uses as he keeps his costs down and yet my RW have been great so far, thanks
Also any UK stockist/EU anyone knows of, cheers

tattood
01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.graupner.de/en

rotaryworks
01-31-2013, 04:13 PM
hi dude you want me put on here the motors or pm you ?????

Richard Peel
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi Dale if you could PM me that would be great much appreciated

No Iron Machines
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
HELLO, i recently got a chance to have in my hands the first WORKHORSE ROTARY, i really like how run, maybe to much lower volts for me, run very strong already at
3 VOLTS, but is very small and consistent, i like

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT MOTOR IS USED ON THAT MACHINE ??? I WOULD LIKE TO DONE A PROTOTYPE OF SOME ROTARY WITH THAT MOTORS

ANY INFO GONNA BE COOL..THANX....

OwlsDen
04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
HELLO, i recently got a chance to have in my hands the first WORKHORSE ROTARY, i really like how run, maybe to much lower volts for me, run very strong already at
3 VOLTS, but is very small and consistent, i like

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT MOTOR IS USED ON THAT MACHINE ??? I WOULD LIKE TO DONE A PROTOTYPE OF SOME ROTARY WITH THAT MOTORS

ANY INFO GONNA BE COOL..THANX....

It's a mabuchi. I think FF-180-SH or one similar to that. They are very strong motors. I dropped one in a stealth an it is a monster now.

Burlakov
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
It's a mabuchi. I think FF-180-SH or one similar to that. They are very strong motors. I dropped one in a stealth an it is a monster now.
FF-180-SH 1.06 watt ,1-3 volts , is not enough?

OwlsDen
04-23-2013, 06:48 PM
I run it at 3.5-3.8 and it is very strong. I believe that Special Tech used a similar motor, not necessarily the same motor.

peter clements
04-24-2013, 07:14 AM
I believe that Special Tech used a similar motor, not necessarily the same motor.

Get in touch with Brian at special technique for specifics regarding motors, he is always very helpful.

No Iron Machines
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Ohhh, so is a square motor ??? Not round ???? I don open the machine actually, was from a friend....

Tengu315
04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I think that's what storm uses to.. Those ff-180s are surprisingly strong.. You wouldn't think so from the numbers .
They are used in electric shavers . I've been researching motors for the last couple of months and discovered that the numbers aren't every thing.. Which makes it that much more confusing since there's thousands of motors out there.
By the way .. Anybody try the fc-280 PCM or fc..

Tengu315
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Sorry didn't mean to send that yet but my dog bumped into me and pushed send ... I meant Pc or sc.

Anybody try igarashi?

OwlsDen
04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Sorry didn't mean to send that yet but my dog bumped into me and pushed send ... I meant Pc or sc.

Anybody try igarashi?

Wildboy switched his rotary works over to an irigashi motor. He says it is amazing.

slicksteel
04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
You know guys alot of the bigboy machine builders use a certain base model that is custom made to their requested specs.

Tengu315
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I know that ... I'm just trying to build my own. I'm sure all of the builders have a good reason why they picked their motors.. I don't want to mess with that.
I'm just want to make one for myself for fun... I also only want to use parts that I can find lying around or a hardware store , junkyard etc... No CNC, no custom ordered parts... I don't even want to order shit online.
Because its the search .. It's all about the search. I learn something new every day. Most modern cars have about 20 dc motors in them.. The fancier cars can have up to 100 motors.. And blow dryers , shavers/ clippers ,tooth brushes all have not only motors but cams, springs, slides...all kinds of things that can be used or give me ideas.
It's a... Lot of fun. I don't care how long it takes to finish one.. Or even finish at all! Ha ha... You guys should try it.... If you haven't already . pretty challenging when you limit your resources ...

Burlakov
04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Anybody try the fc-280 PCM or fc..1852418525excellent engine

peter clements
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Wildboy switched his rotary works over to an irigashi motor. He says it is amazing.

Which type did Wildboy choose exactly?

OwlsDen
04-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Which type did Wildboy choose exactly?

He is a member on here. I think he posted it in another thread. Ask him.