PDA

View Full Version : New Tattoomachine by inkmachines ( Dragonfly) arrives ..the Stingray

darkness
02-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Hello all ...

inkmachines announced for this week on a new machine ! The Stingray

The machine is called Stingray and its a new type of tattoo machine that drives the needles with a cam system instead of an eccenter like other rotary machines. It looks very similar to the Dragonfly but the function is totally different. This machine will make lines like no other rotary machine on the market today. Perfect if you are looking for a liner with the function of a coil machine but still want to keep all the benefits of a rotary machine.

The machine looks really nice and would complete the Dragonfly arsenal :)

(Opted Out)
02-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Looks good depends how it runs, wonder if they have put in a more powerfull motor this time..

darkness
02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
mmmh the machine is not bigger ,think the same Dragonfly with a other system (cam) thats provide a harter hit ....is it not cheaper to get a harter spring ?
but let's see what they've done. More information must be added the week

Nedz
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Looks like a dragon fly with a slide system. I would have thought they would have made something a little different though, it will be easy for the Chinese to copy this as well.

darkness
02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
here some detail news .... the machine is the same but the cam system is a new one , the stroke is changeable in a few minutes . The motor is the same ?:(

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=516865845002998&set=a.149325425090377.27004.128125317210388&type=1&theater

would cost around 449 eur without tax
(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=516865845002998&set=a.149325425090377.27004.128125317210388&type=1&theater)

Tat2dPinoy
02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Cecil Porter has been testing it and stated that it is great for lining and pushing larger mags, although it doesn't seem to actually hit harder

hellraiser6662
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Yep saw this yesterday on facebook. Looks interesting, but will have to wait, I'm may be thinking I'll wait because some nice machines are on the cards over the next few months.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

darkness
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
The new stingray is now avaiable ... 780 usd with shipping and tax on inkmachies.com for European buyers thats a real proud award and
628 usd for us buyers - I wish I were not europeans

http://inkmachines.com/catalog/8

MickWrath
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
2.6-3.5mm stroke with a 0-2mm suspension designated for lining and packing? Hmmmm, why not just go 4.5mm with a 2mm suspension? Longer stroke for lining and packing would suit many artists much better and no real need for optional cams with that suspension. I dunno maybe this machine performs just differently like the inkjecta, ie: 3mm stroke that packs like a beast and is well capable of lining. I will have to get one in hand before passing judgement, but the stroke length options have me at a worry.

(Opted Out)
02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
€445 for us, £383... its like £40 cheaper than the current one!!

tattood
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
$ 780 usd.. that is crazy.lol.. i cant imagine itd be getter than having 2 crankers. or 2 vivace's with spare motors, 3 rotary works, 2 nicks rotaries with money left in pocket,.. that swedish tax is crazy..

darkness
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
yes 445 eur ..but only you have a vat number ... without a vat number you have to pay 580.- eur or 671 gbp ! I have only a small business without a vat number :(
so is cheaper to buy 2 impact with 3,5 and 4,2 mm stroke and i dont think is it not so good like the stingray

MickWrath
02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Looks like ink machines is pushing that boundary on what artists are willing to pay for a good machine, I paid 600 usd for my inkjecta specific 3 would I do it again...yes in fact I did lol I have 2. Would I pay 650 for a new dragonfly? No, so I don't believe I would pay 780 on a stingray based on the dragonfly. It would have to be one hell of an amazing machine and when you put it solely in the liner/packer category you are competing with Dan, which is very very hard to do machine wise for anyone, and then his price points for crankers, mc's and dd's? Yeah I will support the guy making machines one by one for tattoo artists not just for the money way before I support a 780 price tag and for what? Add up the price in parts of the stingray and tell me they aren't in it for the money, look at how much time and effort they put into the wicked awesome new body style...yeah no, I will let someone else shell out the clams for this.

Wonderland
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
$780.00 USD! holey crap! I can get like 39 $20.00 hookers for that in Detroit. ha ha ha!

Eturnus
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe a better alternative to this ma.chine that would work the same exact way is thr swashdrive slide 2.0. My co worker let me use his dragonfly and i wasnt all that impressed. If you do buy a dragonfly, i would strongly reccomend the ls over the ss. The ss even my buddy said was a waste of money.

MickWrath
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
$780 is officially repulsive to me considering what I'm seeing design and literature wise.

darkness
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
do not forget 780 usd for all in the eu country ...all others have happiness with 630 USD ,but is it worth it ?!

johndameart
02-06-2013, 12:22 PM
are you serious.....780$?

darkness
02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
yes - so wanted to order with shipping to Germany ... 602 usd for the machine + 23 usd shipping is 625 usd , when living in usa or other non eu country that's your price ,but all eu contry have to pay tax 156.- usd :(

johndameart
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I wont be getting that for that price.

serial1313
02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
My question is, what on this machine looks so groundbreaking that everybody is soooo let down once they see the price? The way I plan on solving this problem is by not buying one.

johndameart
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
haha agree, just never really had my own and i knew they were coming out with something, but im not wanting to drop money like that for something i want to ((try))

(Opted Out)
02-06-2013, 02:52 PM
600 is too far in my opinion, i can get a neotat vivace, a rotaryworks aluminium, and a new rotaryworks I.D machine and have £30 change!... And the neotat and rotaryworks are equal to the old dragonfly if not better!..

tattood
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
mickwrath i couldnt agree with u more. im not sure wHat the VAT even is. but i can tell u i went to the website. put one in shopping cart like i was gonna purchase it. and it calculated with shipping and the swedish tax. that my total to get machine in california was 780 usd

OwlsDen
02-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey best of luck to them. I would have designed a new body too. God knows the old model is the most copied modern rotary to date. It seems a lot to buy the old machine with a new can drive. It's like buying this years car model with new door handles for 2000$ more than last years.

fkirons
02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
If you are in the US and the price seems to expensive, then buy american products and support our economy...and builders :)

fkirons
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Nonetheless, Inkmachines proved with the dragonfly that their product and engineering is top notch.
Do I think it's worth $700+ yes. That machine can make you 100's or 1000's of $1000 tattoos.

serial1313
02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
If you are in the US and the price seems to expensive, then buy american products and support our economy...and builders :) That IS true. Halo's are $130 cheaper, & they have 4 different stroke wheels. If you can't get what you want done w/ that, the problem is you. Haha

hellraiser6662
02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Well I'm sure if it's based on the other dragonfly then, when they post the parts list just buy the bits to convert your old dragonfly easy and much cheaper, also work ive seen is only from the sponsored artists, I dont know anyone whos bought one yet. As other machines are on the cards from other makers I think inkmachines have a dodo on their hands, unless it makes you tattoo like nikko haha

Administrator
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
John Wayne I believe just got his hands on one. I don't know if he is a sponsored artist but he is pretty good about talking openly about what he likes and why on facebook.

(Opted Out)
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Nonetheless, Inkmachines proved with the dragonfly that their product and engineering is top notch.
Do I think it's worth $700+ yes. That machine can make you 100's or 1000's of $1000 tattoos.

But would a $350 dan kubin mini cranker not be as good and work aswell?... Would a $450 halo not be as good or work aswell?... How far do you go?... I could make a machine that runs great and sell it for $1200 doesnt mean its 3 times better than a halo.. Just sayin...

MickWrath
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
...like I said 2.6-3.5 with a 2mm suspension, fuck yeah I can finally get that 0.6mm stroke, with give, I've always wanted for laying in exactly zero pigment! And with this sweet new body style how can I resist here's a blank check. pffff! I will stick with my Halos, Stigmas, and Inkjectas, and continue working on my 2 machines. I have 4 halos for a reason, they work amazing, they are well thought out down to the detail, made in the USA, and the price is very fair. The stingray is none of these things assuming it has the same underpowered engine as the DF.

tattood
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
im just thinkin there is no way to justify that kind of bread. sure i could make the money back on a piece or two but the same can be said for many machine with half the price tag. jus out of curiosity how is ink machines customer care and the warranty policy. im thinkin for tthat pric tage the warranty on motor should be longer than a year

jesoner79
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
hearing that price actually makes me want to get rid of my dragonflies and not use their machines

(Opted Out)
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
hearing that price actually makes me want to get rid of my dragonflies and not use their machines

Yeah they arent even tattoo artists... I liked the 1st dragonfly and dont have anything against them but think this is crazy when people like dan kubin and dale @rotaryworks hand build there machines on a small scale with high costs and still do there machines at 1/3 the cost!.. It seems these people to not give to our industry just take!..

fkirons
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
But would a $350 dan kubin mini cranker not be as good and work aswell?... Would a $450 halo not be as good or work aswell?... How far do you go?... I could make a machine that runs great and sell it for $1200 doesnt mean its 3 times better than a halo.. Just sayin...

There is a market for everything and everyone. Some people would prefer spend the extra cash and tattoo with certain machines, regardless.
There are affordable machines that are excellent and expensive machines that are excellent. There are also cheap machines that are garbage and expensive machine that are an even bigger garbage.

I think InkMachines price their machines according to what makes sense to them after analyzing their investment and manufacturing costs. To manufacture that machine, is not cheap, especially in europe and America. Can it be priced cheaper? I'm sure it can, can it be priced higher, of course it can.

Also, if you buy that machine here you are also paying for import taxes. Probably in Europe they are cheaper. The motor that they used is also manufactured in europe.

fkirons
02-06-2013, 06:46 PM
...like I said 2.6-3.5 with a 2mm suspension, fuck yeah I can finally get that 0.6mm stroke, with give, I've always wanted for laying in exactly zero pigment! And with this sweet new body style how can I resist here's a blank check. pffff! I will stick with my Halos, Stigmas, and Inkjectas, and continue working on my 2 machines. I have 4 halos for a reason, they work amazing, they are well thought out down to the detail, made in the USA, and the price is very fair. The stingray is none of these things assuming it has the same underpowered engine as the DF.
'
Thanks Mick Enjoy them!

MickWrath
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I do everyday homie! Been running them with T-techs and I'm loving it! Top drawer for life kinda machines.

slicksteel
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
If you are in the US and the price seems to expensive, then buy american products and support our economy...and builders :)
I second that for usa tattooers-you got Neotat, Impact, Tattooed pirate, Torch, Special Technique, FKI, Kubin, E. lollis, Adams, Metaxa ,etc. there really is no need to buy others as these all make good machines. Unless of course you are going to get a nice machine at a great price like rotaryworks that is out of country.:D

I think if you put a 1000 price tag some one will buy just to make them shelves feel better and have bragging rights-
I just got me a new guitar and was looking for guitar pickups to up grade some neck pups on my other deans and could not believe I found some new ones that go for 500 each-and they a marketed to rich people in the promo ad. Pickups usally go for 35-125 a piece. There is a sucker born every day that will throw his money away for some thing that should be a 25 doller upgrade. lol

Zapp
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
For example :
A Spektra cost in germany 588 Euro witch is 795 Dollar !
A Stingray cost in germany 445 Euro witch is 602 Dollar !
Anyway, i prefer the SPEKTRAS :-)

Tkocevar1
02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Pass... I'd rather have a neo tat any day of the week

Barren
02-06-2013, 10:05 PM
what a shame i really love my df and was looking forward to there next offering im a little dissapointed, oh well plenty more machines out there im yet to try

TattoosByRob
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I saw that they posted the new motor is a modified Faulhaber 16711

Administrator
02-07-2013, 12:02 AM
For example :
A Spektra cost in germany 588 Euro witch is 795 Dollar !
A Stingray cost in germany 445 Euro witch is 602 Dollar !
Anyway, i prefer the SPEKTRAS :-)

Funny thing. When stigma first hit the market i know a tattooer that paid well over 700 dollars for his machine. Rate of exchange shipping duty all that. As soon as a machine made across the pond crosses over it gets very pricey. What does hawk equipment cost in Europe and the us?

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

MickWrath
02-07-2013, 03:18 AM
For me it's not just price like I said I have 2 inkjectas, I love them and would buy another in a second. The DF short stroke to me was useless, and the long stroke had its issues as well, not perfect machines. I've had no problems with my inkjectas, halos, kubins, or stigmas. The innovation for the stingray is severely lacking, it shows how little thought went into the machine by the stroke lengths and suspension chosen for a liner and color packer, a lot of the stroke span is unusable for tattooing. 4.5mm stroke would have given you a range right down to perfect black an grey with a 2.5, and a 4-4.5 would be ideal for lining with a give system. They didn't even take the time to change the body design so they could save on tooling, and cad time! And to ice the shit cake they put a sweet price of 780 on it? The DF is half the machine of a Halo and almost half again more expensive. The balls to put the stingray in the highest possible price bracket with the very minimum amount of thought, innovation, and design is a spit in the face. Ink Machines is a company more than capable of bringing a remarkable machine to this industry at a fair and reasonable price point. They did the bare minimum for the all new maximum with the stingray and it's disgusting to me. I will never own another machine from them again, and I am very level headed, so I'm sure many will feel the same when they really analyze this machine in detail let alone use this Pinto portrayed as a Bentley. I'm done on this topic. Mick-

darkness
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Also, if you buy that machine here you are also paying for import taxes. Probably in Europe they are cheaper. The motor that they used is also manufactured in europe.
No - i live in Germany and have to pay more ... around 577.- EUR ( 780 USD ) and for a halo 500.- ( 676 USD) - the halo is cheaper and it get at moment no other strokes for the Stingray !
The new Stigma Prodigy will cost 475 EUR (642 USD ) and beast 391 EUR ( 530 USD )

robinTS
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4241951210307&set=p.4241951210307&type=1&theater with a stingray

robinTS
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I know,,,is damn good artist,doesnt mater witch machine he uses :)

jonpiper
02-08-2013, 09:39 PM
that's just ridiculous.

Blondan
02-09-2013, 04:04 AM
The machine doesn't come with the skills included :). They might be using some coils as well but because they are sponsored by the builders...they only post the sponsors. Look at Otto's work that he did with his self made machine. I have loads of expensive machines... Doesn't mean I can tattoo like him :))

sleezy23
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
if you have a dragonfly already, can you just buy the piece and switch it out, to make a stingray?

INKWORKX
02-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Just ordered mine from http//:www.thetattooshop (http://www.thetattooshop).co.uk, can't wait!

hellraiser6662
02-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Well ive looked a the website and you can buy all the pieces so I can't see why not! Much cheaper add up all the pieces and the maths dont work about have much they charging for that machine? Or was it my crap maths.

tugg
02-25-2013, 07:40 AM
if you ask me all machines are overpriced for whats involved ,even more so some of the overpriced coil machines . but I don't worry too much as I can make the money back pretty easily .
I'm thankfull that I can too. I know mechanics that have spent over £10k on their own tools and they are not even self employed and are lucky if they earn £15 per hour.
I think its very easy to lose sight of how fortunate we really are.

evol777
02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I just received my stingray two days ago and in the few hours I've spent with it I have been very impressed. In my drawer is also a couple vivace's, V3, Halo... the stingray may end up being my goto liner. I'll post a better review and images of work when I have more time with it. Also, I don't understand the fuss about price....549usd for a halo, 585 for a v3, and whopping 591 for a stingray. That is a day or two's worth of work. I agree that the price might not match the sum of the parts but there are lots of other costs to consider.

puffreis
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
i recieved mine today. sad news first : the machine casting is bigger than the df, so you cant modify your old dragonfly with stingray parts. now the good news. it doesnt matter, cause its not that much better than the df. the stingray runs a bit slower but it doesnt hit much harder in my opinion. it is a great machine for delicate greywash work, but i wouldnt use it for color packing or as a powerliner. it runs much louder than the df, even with the give adjuster almost closed. did this tattoo today with a 7 liner and a 7 mag in dragonflys and a 15 mag in a stingray.

crabink
02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
2.6-3.5mm stroke with a 0-2mm suspension designated for lining and packing? Hmmmm, why not just go 4.5mm with a 2mm suspension? Longer stroke for lining and packing would suit many artists much better and no real need for optional cams with that suspension. I dunno maybe this machine performs just differently like the inkjecta, ie: 3mm stroke that packs like a beast and is well capable of lining. I will have to get one in hand before passing judgement, but the stroke length options have me at a worry.

I agree... color packing is always better with a longer stroke .. and lining seems to be cake anyways with a good rotary and this will allow for the needle to get more ink with each pass,, its not a zip liner.. its a solid liner .. so 4mm or 4.5 would be way better.

crabink
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
i recieved mine today. sad news first : the machine casting is bigger than the df, so you cant modify your old dragonfly with stingray parts. now the good news. it doesnt matter, cause its not that much better than the df. the stingray runs a bit slower but it doesnt hit much harder in my opinion. it is a great machine for delicate greywash work, but i wouldnt use it for color packing or as a powerliner. it runs much louder than the df, even with the give adjuster almost closed. did this tattoo today with a 7 liner and a 7 mag in dragonflys and a 15 mag in a stingray.

So you grey washed with it? wow ... interesting

puffreis
02-28-2013, 03:49 AM
i wanted to try it out, as soon as it arrived. so yes, i greywashed with it. today i have some linework to do, so i will see how the stingray performs for what it was developed.

puffreis
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
i did some linework today on an elbow. i used 9 and 12 needle long taper liners and the stingray performed ok. maybe its just me, but i still dont feel much of a difference compared to the dragonfly.

evol777
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I do not own a dragonfly but the stingray lines at least as well as I can (probably better). Still prefer the V3 for shading at this point. Here is a mid session pic done with a tight 5 and waverly bluebird.17253

serial1313
02-28-2013, 03:36 PM
You should try that V3 for lining & see what you think. That is if you haven't already.

evol777
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
I did.. its one of the best liners in my drawer, definitely the most versatile.

evol777
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
So finished up the tree posted earler... shading with a V3, rest of the linework with the Stingray and Vivace 4.2 Although the Vivace is a very capable machine I do prefer the Stingray to it for lining.

Inkslingers
09-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Well said Gaston...I'm actually on the fence right now about buying. I put down the rotaries and went back to coils last year. I'm now finding the need to return to them. My hand(s) are about baked (carpal tunnel & arthritis has done it's damage). Not that getting the weight off will solve my problems, but it helps.

So my thoughts are these...Dragonflies were my first rotaries. Absolutely loved them for black & grey...lining? This was pre-stingray..so I never got away from my coils for lining. I ended up selling them to jump on the Centri band wagon...huge mistake, but whatever, you live and you learn. Got rid of the Centri(s) and went with the Spektra. Not going to drop another "review" as its all been said before, but as nice as the machines were I still never found that sweet spot for lining. Yeah, I know...many of you will say its there, but for me I just never found it.

Dragonflies? Amazing machines for black & grey...perfect for me. I also enjoyed doing color...but the lining wasn't there for me once again. Would the Stingray change this? Cons would be that they are out of country, so if they go down its a pain...

Spektra? Again, amazing machines...loved packing color with them. Black & grey wasn't as I had hoped thought, but then I never dropped down to the 2.5mm to give it a shot and I've told that's key? Lining was there, but still not like my coils, which was the reason I parted with them. The service I got/get from FK Irons has just been flat out killer...COULD NOT ASK FOR MORE! About the only thing Gaston didn't do was mail me a stripper with the machine, their customer service is all that.

Decisions Decisions....do I drop like $1,200 on the Dragon & Stingray? Or pop the $1,600 down for 3 Spectras? Just thinking as I write here....

Coils are not in my future though unless I go with an FK. Which may very well be an option for their weight. I've been watching the progression of the Stingray though, and hearing good things. Decisions decisions...