PDA

View Full Version : Nicks rotary review

tattood
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Wats up everybody, I'd like to take a little time and give a review on NICKS ROTARY. This is going to be parts 1 and 2 of a 3 part review. In the first part I am going to discuss how my transaction and customer service went with Nick, in the next i will discuss how my NICKS ROTARY performed. The third part of my review will come once i get a DD from him and have a chance to use it.

Part 1:
Well were do I begin, After much time spent on this forum investigating different machines i decided to go ahead and order a Nicks Rotary. I sent him a message inquiring about machines, he gave me a quick response and was happy to assist me. I had a somewhat unusual request christmas time was nearing and I wanted my girl to custom design a rotary for me. Not the technical specs just how it looked. I told Nick this and he gladly obliged. Next my girl sent him a message and told him how she wanted it designed. Again not a problem, they went back and forth for a few days and at last it was done. Keep in mind this is a 100% custom built with all my girlfriend had in mind. It was done in know time at all. However due to it being a present i still hadn't seen it. I live in California and if my memory serves me correct it took 12 business days to get here from spain, luck wood have it it got here christmas eve.:D
I couldn't wait to open it so I exchanged gifts early so i could finally see it. It was shipped quite securely, the machine was wrapped in paper towels then placed in a box and the wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap, this was then placed in a bubble wrapped lined envelope. About as secure as it gets. I got through the packaging and low and behold they prettiest machine i have seen. It was everything i could of wanted. Well made, i could tell it was made with someone who cared about their machines. To my pleasant suprise the machine was a lot smaller in person than in the pictures. Again this is a plus from me. I got my power box hooked it up and began to play with it. WOW, it is the quietest machine i have had, and close to no vibration what so ever. I was stoked.

part 2:
Finally the holidays where over and I could use this machine, what better person than my girlfriend. She decided on a somewhat traditional design. Meaning it was time to put this bad boy through the ringer. Thick one pass lines and color packing with alittle B&G shade. Everything i could want to test i was gonna test on this piece. I ran a 9 liner no problems what so ever. I like to hang my needle and had no snags this machine lined great at 5 volts. It did take some time to get used to, not the function of it, but how quiet it was and how little the vibration was. When most rotaries I havae used are turned up to line the sound and the vibration increases. Not so much with this Rotary. Again flawless lining.
Next it was time to do sum grey shade, I used a #10 9 mag and eternal grey wash. Keep in mind the stroke on this machine is 4+, most woodnt consider this for B&G. However it worked great. Just like any machine there is a little gettin to know ya period, but that ended after the first few wipes. Again needle hung out shading at close to 4 v's. It was completely effortless, ink just flowed into the skin. Its hard to explain but i will say it felt like i wasn't tattooing, rather drawing on skin. When this happens and my foucs is on the tattoo 100% percent and not the machine i get in my zone. Truly a joy to shade with this beast.
After a quick rinse of tubes and needles now for the color. I left it at 4 volts and proceeded to pack some color. Again, flawless it just worked for me. No ifs ands or buts it got the job done with ease. I will also add there was little trauma to the skin and the heal time was outstanding on this piece. I have now been using this rotary for over a month and it has performed the same way everytime i have used it.
In conclusion when dealing with nick be assured you are in good hands with a builder that cares. Any questions you will get a response in a timely manner. Just through facebook messaging I could get a feel for Nick and was able to build a good repore with him. He builds great machines that are well made and preform awesome. The craftsman ship on these machines is remarkable, again this man cares to put out a product that lasts. I hope that wasnt to long of a review but i felt the customer service was something I had to share. I am waiting on a direct drive when i get it i will do a much shorter review.:p
Here is the machine i did the piece with the roses and gun. My coworker who has never used a rotary did the sugar skull .. Everything on these all done with a NICKS ROTARY..

NickTattoo
02-05-2013, 06:54 PM
wow.. thank you for the review buddy and nice doing business with you. i think you will like the DD as much as this one..

tattood
02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
it was a little long.:o but i feel u go above and beyond with some of my requests so i felt it appropriate for a detailed and meaningful review. Im sure i will like it also. Like i said it feels kind of effortless when i use your machine. Ink just flies in skin. that with light weight no noise and barely any vibration is a different kind of experience altogether.

vsprotoss
02-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Looks good... but do you need all those rubber bands for it to perform at its best? I know one rubber band is for the needle to hold but what about the other two spots (one above it and the one vertically?)