PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhhh the Gen 8 is here

elbo
02-12-2013, 03:06 AM
Awesome the Gen 8 is here....looks great...

hellraiser6662
02-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Here's a few more pics of it, it has a give clip like the whip and a bigger stronger motor, the needle tensioner will be able to fit on the g7 and others. But still no word on a replacement motor for my g7 haha I will not be getting one.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

bluerocker
02-12-2013, 08:12 AM
See it on the swash fb page last night,,,,,fit!

Fatlad5
02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
After reading about the bad customer service, I don't think I'll be getting one either

evlink2006
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I have nothing but the best customer service even repaired a gen7 I got in trade for free.

artoftatt2
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Tried for months to get a replacement motor from these people.. Never helped me..

tattood
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
i wood like to try one but any kind of negative feedback on customer service makez me hesitant. these and bishops i want but have heard mixed reviews on customer care. i am understanding people are busy but it is nice to shoot a facebook message and get a quick response and i have found the builders who make em themselves do just that..

slicksteel
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I had good service with them-samyo went out of his way for me.

artoftatt2
02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah I've heard it's hit or miss with Swashdrive.. I've just had a bad experience several times trying to get a motor..

R0st0ck
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Looks realy nice

hellraiser6662
02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Yea the same here with my gen7 motor. So in the end ive gone to maxon and done it myself, the long stem that all the swash part is attached, is only glued/bonded to the motor. Why it takes email and facebook messages and still nothing, but when I had problems with my whip, I was sent a super hard clip for nothing great service. So yes it's very hit and miss.

peter clements
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
The bottom line is that swashdrive have been making machines for something like 17 years now, people shouldn't be having silly problems with them.

Sage Oz
02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Wonder if they will make a stainless or bronze run of frames...

peter clements
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Wonder if they will make a stainless or bronze run of frames...

Exactly, f*ck the plastic, I can't be doing with that on a machine.

nivek
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
like the tube vice breaking off ? plastic.. nope not doing it. Sorry but its simple ,I cant pay 400 or more, bucks for a machine that's tube vice can break off. Its one thing to cnc or have metal frames cast, it takes time and money and I get that but plastic machines just scream cheap to me. I really want to try and ego but I just wont because they are plastic.

Most of us would tell ya to pound sand if it was a plastic coil machine.. and yet rotaries are okay...

Im not trying to sound like a dick but I don't get it. I have never once held anything plastic in my hand and thought "wow that's one solid piece of workmanship"

tattood
02-13-2013, 12:20 AM
i agree with the whole plastic thing but it got me thinking aren't glocks made of plastic and they are reliable firearms?

serial1313
02-13-2013, 12:32 AM
i agree with the whole plastic thing but it got me thinking aren't glocks made of plastic and they are reliable firearms? Yeah, but I think the parts that take punishment on a Glock are steel though.

Sage Oz
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Plastic can be quite strong and durable a material, and Swashdrive uses the same type of high quality long fiber composite as Glock. It is also impact resistant and fairly lightweight as well as very vibration absorbative. All great traits for a machine but unfortunately doesnt hold threads as well as machine grade metals and the vise is the weak point on other swashdrives I've seen that've stripped out. They really should have a stainless steel threaded insert, just like the other plastic machines do. Not sure if this is to save weight or not but I feel the vise on a good machine should be almost overbuilt. Also, plastic isn't always the prettiest thing, and looks like it was mass produced. Really a just an aesthetic.

Deakon
02-13-2013, 01:52 AM
I think it looks fragile. Not a fan of so many little parts and clips and springs all over the place. One little knock and you'll be in trouble. Simple and reliable all the way for me, and it seems more and more people are moving away from give systems in favour of simple direct drive machines.

MickWrath
02-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Glocks reliability comes from the looser tolerances that the weapon is built with. The specs are not racegun fitted, this sacrifices accuracy but increases reliability...keeping in mind its still very accurate for a duty sidearm. Anyway Glocks reliability has absolutely no bearing on the reliability of a rotary machine. The plastic used can be called glass filled zytel, hmwpe, or a million other things but its still plastic, and there is one reocuring problem plastic rotaries bring to our industry...the vice. I stripped out my Gen 6 and it was just from a snug fit over and over again. No longevity with normal use, I am hoping Samyo sees this and realizes yeah maybe a 5 cent threaded insert would fix this. He is aware of the problem and disclaimers against it. it would take less time to fix than to write (dont overtighten)... With booger hooks like mine I don't have the patience or time to be worried about just enough turns and torque for optimum tube security without damage to the 1 piece molded frame! Wrench it down hard and tight and get to work. Don't make it fragile, build it like a tank and then armor it up some more, so many people complain about weight, how many grams? how many grams? lighter than a coil and built like a brick shithouse "sign me up" or light as a feather and as delicate as used tissue paper. Just fix the damn vice please. Mick~

Shawn
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Swashdrive are the only rotary that I can just pick it up and go. I have had and have just about all the rotaries on the market and Swashdrive is the best machines I have ever used. It's not like your going to be pounding nails with it. If you break your swash then there is something wrong(with the person using it).wait to get the gen8. For the people that are scared about the plastic, you are seriously missing out on one of the best machines ever! Buy it, you don't like it, I will buy it off of you.

nivek
02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Shawn; I have a friend with a gen 7 if you want it.. im sure he'll give you a good price seeing as the tube vice has snapped off and they won't replace it without charging him a couple hundred bucks.... shall I see what he wants for it ?

MickWrath
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey Shawn I guess there's something wrong with me too because my gen 6 has been stripped out, retapped and stripped out again. I'm sure it's nothing to do with the plastic and I was just using it wrong this whole time. Ok buddy lol. Swashdrives are great machines don't get me wrong, but stupid things like this should have been ironed out by now I mean for real? Gen 8 and still no metal threaded insert?!! Comon guys, just fix it so its not an issue, and I can feel confident in buying another swash. I just can't until then. Samyo was a super stand up guy and was willing to replace the machine frame for me, so A+ for customer service from my experience (seems to be hit or miss) but it's very difficult getting around to the post office, fill out customs papers, and send her off. It's just very frustrating it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Mick-

DiarrheaSuitcase
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
I will say, that I am REALLY enjoying my swash gen6. I personally have never gotten the impression that the plastic frame was cheap or brittle. But what really sells me is the combination of lightness, low maintenance, quietness, and minimal vibration. At 10 volts, this thing is really moving the needle and there is barely any vibration at all. My Capo at 8.5-9v vibrates more than the swash. And it DEF feels better in the vibration dept than the Halo does. At 8.5 the Halo vibrates more than both. At 10v, the Halo felt like it was about to take off, hover around, and finish the tattoo for me....

Every machine by every builder has some sort of flaw/weakness in some category or another. Thats why everyone on here has their preference of what they want to use as daily runners. For what the swash does well, it does REALLY well. It is comfortable to use, Has a nice long stroke, and is quieter than any other rotary I have used. For me, I really like the swash. It has been a great all around machine and I too, would recommend one (with all it's parts intact, lol).

I'd like to see some new specs and what was improved upon on this model. I wanna try one!

MickWrath
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Just don't over tighten that vice screw homie, and agreed every machine will have lil quirks people don't like because everyone likes something different but it should never be a design flaw. The inkjecta specific 3 IMHO has no flaws at all to me. A beastly vice, low vibration, low noise, amazing adjustability, it's perfect to me. Halos do vibrate a little above 8v however I use t-techs with them and it seems to cut that vibration down a whole bunch so no complaints there.

hellraiser6662
02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I used g7 every day till the motor just got slower and slower, never had any probs with the vice grip or it being plastic, just replacement of the motor but no doubt now the new g8 out they will have loads of motors to sell, probably waiting till they done the g8.

Samyo
02-13-2013, 06:37 PM
OK to address the service comments here in respect to motors, there was an issue last year with us being out of stock for nearly two months, that was unfortunate and I can assure you an embarrassing pain in the arse for us, one of the problems we have faced has to do with the chinese knock off prick & people trying to order Whip motors for their fucked up knock off from us, so now we have to play 20 questions.

And the other simple fact is you know what I am human & occasionally I fuck up, if you e-mail me direct and say hey Samyo have you fucked up, then I do my best to fix it. We are a small organisation and we get a mountain of e-mails and you know what occasionally one fall through the cracks or ends up lost in the junk mail.... But when a problem is bought to our attention we do our best to fix it. So if you have a problem e-mail me direct [email protected]

Samyo
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Shawn; I have a friend with a gen 7 if you want it.. im sure he'll give you a good price seeing as the tube vice has snapped off and they won't replace it without charging him a couple hundred bucks.... shall I see what he wants for it ?

Ok this is crap .. if there is a body that has broken the tube we replace that for the postage. And if someone has gone gorilla on the tube clamp and stripped it that we do for $50 plus the postage... again please get these things from the horse mouth and e-mail me direct.

Blondan
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Samyo would those needle retainers be available to purchase if I would want to put one on my gen 7? And how much would that be? Thanks

Samyo
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
OK lets address the plastic issue, as this is now really old and tired and I have addressed it on here before ... we manufacture the bodies here in Australia the machine bodies are a glass polymer and each one is individually machined by hand after it comes out of the mold to clean up any imperfections ...

The machines are in fact far more durable and lighter than than most billet machines. We have made them in the past from cast alloys and still the majority of folk prefer the lightness of the polymer...

Yes occasionally a tube clamp breaks, this is rare and when it happens we replace the body free of charge, and yes some folk have stripped out the tube clamp, this is one of the reasons why we went to a smaller nut in the early days of the Gen6. The combination of metals on the tube clamp means you do not have to go all gorilla on it like some coil machines it does not need a lot of pressure to hold everything tight.

The simple fact is there are some folk who believe that everything should be made of metal and that's ok because the world is like that we and are never going to be for them, but if you are looking for a reliable light weight machine that does what you want it to do every time you pick it up then they are the folk who we are wanting to help.

And the final word on the plastic story I will leave to Tony ... We recorded this at a show in Melbourne after we had some boofhead banging on in a loud voice about the machine being plastic (turns out he was a sycophant from one of the other machine builders was just making a noise at the front of our stand) ... this video was made some hours later after several fine beverages where consumed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzhcOalRixg

Samyo
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Samyo would those needle retainers be available to purchase if I would want to put one on my gen 7? And how much would that be? Thanks

Yes mate, once we get the first batch of Gen 8's out of the way the plan is to make them available as a retrofit in the spare part section of the website, they will suit the Gen6 & 7's, Whips & Slides. (not sure about the 5's & 4's I will have to check)

fkirons
02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
You can't make everyone happy. There it will be always whiners that no matter what you do they won't be happy. Usually these are the ones that spend more time trying to figure out what you did wrong than tattooing. I have a gen 7 with Adjustable stroke. I believe you made a few of these. I got it directly from my bud Tony in Australia. Great machine indeed.
I recently got ahold of a Gen 1 I believe is casted Stainless. Awesome machine and still runs great.

Samyo
02-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Yes mate, once we get the first batch of Gen 8's out of the way the plan is to make them available as a retrofit in the spare part section of the website, they will suit the Gen6 & 7's, Whips & Slides. (not sure about the 5's & 4's I will have to check)

Samyo
02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks FK ... your comments are always appreciated .. mate TJ tells we are going to see you in Sydney ... We will have the Gen8s there for you to have a play with ...

Samyo
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I also noticed a post about Specs on the Gen 8 ... at the moment I don't have the weight etc. but to give you a brief outline.

The Gen8 has a bigger motor than previous models it is much tourqe-e-er (if there is such a word) and apparently it hits seriously hard.
It has an adjustable give clip which is just as easy as The Whip, the difference is it will go from feather light to rock hard on the same clip.
The needle tensioner is new.
Weight wise it will be slightly heavier than The Whip & The Slide.

The full details will be up on the website as soon as the machine is available ...

We are also about 6-8 weeks away from a power supply that has been built specifically for Rotary machines (it will do coils as well) .... details on that will be made available closer to the time.

fkirons
02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks FK ... your comments are always appreciated .. mate TJ tells we are going to see you in Sydney ... We will have the Gen8s there for you to have a play with ...
Yeah, we are doing the Show, we get there with my lady on tuesday of that week. Super Exited to see him his brother and all my friends. I don't think we ever met, but it will be a pleasure to do so and play with that Gen 8 (make sure to have one for sale for me :) )

see you soon!

Samyo
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Mate looking forward to it, I am sure Tony will put one aside for you and I know he is also keen for a catch up ... and TJ is very excited to be getting tattooed .. we'll see you there.

fkirons
02-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Mate looking forward to it, I am sure Tony will put one aside for you and I know he is also keen for a catch up ... and TJ is very excited to be getting tattooed .. we'll see you there.
You got it bro. See you there.

Shawn
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Halos and gen7's are my daily drivers. You guys keep up what your doing. These machines are the best I've ever used in my 18 years of tattooing!

chris-in-cali
02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
...i used a gen 6 for like 5 years and never had a problem with the vice.
A gen 7 for about 2 years and not one problem with the vice.

MickWrath
02-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Samyo, do you have any plans to incorporate a metal threaded insert for the vice of any gen series? I have no problems with the machine being plastic my problem lies with the worry I will have the same problem as twice before. Like I stated before I found your customer service excellent, but what's frustrating is I love the swash and cannot bring myself to buy another with the vice as is, sorry homie I just don't trust it. Please tell me the gen 8 has improved upon it somehow...Mick-

elbo
02-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Same here...used gen 6's,gen 7's and whips....never had a problem with the vice....

No Iron Machines
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Cool....finally they go back to produce something serious....

Sage Oz
02-14-2013, 01:20 PM
I've personally never had a problems with the vise stripping but I've fixed two that belonged to friends(guess they've got gorilla hands too). Gotta say that the gen6 is an awesome machine!

chris-in-cali
02-14-2013, 03:03 PM
I've personally never had a problems with the vise stripping but I've fixed two that belonged to friends(guess they've got gorilla hands too). Gotta say that the gen6 is an awesome machine!

i know...i should have never sold that mother fucker
always found it hit too hard for mag work but damn that thing could line like a beast
for me, the only other rotary that is comparable to it for lining is a dan kubin

Samyo
02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Samyo, do you have any plans to incorporate a metal threaded insert for the vice of any gen series? I have no problems with the machine being plastic my problem lies with the worry I will have the same problem as twice before. Like I stated before I found your customer service excellent, but what's frustrating is I love the swash and cannot bring myself to buy another with the vice as is, sorry homie I just don't trust it. Please tell me the gen 8 has improved upon it somehow...Mick-

Thanks for the post Mick ... mate not at this stage, the issues of stripped & broken vices is actually quite rare for the number of machines out there, it was a little more common in the earlier machines, but Craig has since purchased more advanced injection molding equipment and refined the technique. From memory there was only one or two broken vices in the Whips and that was an early test batch of the purple ones. Since then I have not seen seen one.

Changing to a smaller nut on the tube vice also helped, some of the early Gen6's had a really big circular nut on them and it was easy to over tighten ... As I said in the earlier post, I think some folk were used to have to really crank up the tube vices but with the Swashdrive you don't have to, the combination of the different metals and the polymer holds the tube quite tight without a lot of pressure.

If you have a body that you have stripped out sent me a mail, I am happy to send you out a replacement ... hit me up at [email protected] ...

MickWrath
02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the response Samyo, it's good to hear that it was an earlier issue that was addressed, it turned me off from the machines altogether despite me wanting another gen and a whip. I will take your word and give one a go if I can find one in trade here and if she holds up I will most definitely purchase this Gen 8. Mick!!

peter clements
02-15-2013, 06:37 AM
If the tube vice issue has been properly addressed as it seems to have,then I'm interested.I've yet to try a Swash ,so that'd be nice.It'll have to be a trade though as the amount of machines I'm starting to acumulate is getting ridiculous......again.

MickWrath
02-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Samyo, I have a whip coming in trade now...giving the swash's another go! If she works out I will be making good on the gen 8 purchase. Thanks for making your voice heard to my concerns it means a lot to me. Mick-

vsprotoss
02-19-2013, 03:48 AM
Looking forward to what everyone has to say about it. I like how these whips just keep coming out in new generations hehe.

@Chipsterology
02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
I've been on Team Swash since 2006 and I can attest that getting a response from them has become spotty. I love my Swashdrives, but I am inclined to think that IP theft and piracy might have a lot to do with lack of support in some cases, I mean these days, ebay is posting up clones that have "SWASHDRIVE" emblazoned right on them, no respect at all. If a person buys this, do you think they're gonna get support from some dude in a hut by some chinese waterfall? No. So they run to the originator of said design for support. I wouldn't answer half the dam calls and emails either unless I knew for sure some kind of way your swash is authentic, if you buy the clone, you don't really respect the innovator. On the flipside of that same coin, these new rotaries hitting the market for an average of $550USD + are getting out of control. It's as if the technical minded consumer can't look at these things and tell right off that we're being taken to the bank on a nominal 15% design variation with each iteration. We all know the same song they're all singing:
-Maxon motor
-Japanese bearings
-Adjustable give spring/cam/piston mechanism
These parts can be had wholesale for less than 25% of the asking price of the unit. So the remaining factor is the machined frame, which really, they are all starting to fit the same geometric profile for needle handling. I'm not paying $500+ USD for a machine, even if there is a new era of rotaries in place, it's crazy now. I'll just say I'm glad I racked up on Swashes and can use them effectively to my satisfaction, and even then I spent $1600 collectively for all of them over time.

nivek
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok this is crap .. if there is a body that has broken the tube we replace that for the postage. And if someone has gone gorilla on the tube clamp and stripped it that we do for $50 plus the postage... again please get these things from the horse mouth and e-mail me direct.

Im just going by what he told me - if you say otherwise, I shall give you the benefit and stop it. I had no reason to not believe him, maybe it was a bad communication, maybe the person he spoke to was in a shit mood, maybe he didn't want to wait.

I am willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, as I would like the same courtesy extended to me.

Shawn
02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
By the time you design a machine and get all the materials, said machine will cost a lot more than you think! Believe me I'm in the middle of a new design as we speak. Part of the cost is yes the materials used. The next part of the cost is the person making it and spending his time and brain power designing it. Then a person would like to make a little profit off of all that work. So I will happily pay any price Swashdrive wants for their machines. Thank you Swashdrive for taking time out of you lives to make me a machine that is at the top of its game.

Tj_Swashdrive
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I just want to introduce myself I am the newest member of Swashdrive and I am here to help to the best of my ability with any concerns and postal issues with Samyo :) So if you have any questions please email me at [email protected]

Neo
02-26-2013, 11:12 PM
is that needle tensioner added to the vice so you buy the vice set up and it goes right on ? if it is thats crazy cause i remember speaking to a builder (not this one) and telling him this idea haha i think it was cary, may still have it saved haha. Thats crazy , looks like a great machine too ! sorry to add nothing but this blew my mind and im just wondering

MickWrath
02-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Neo I spoke with Samyo and he said yes about that and it will be black not raw, and will be interchangeable with the slide and whip and I'm assuming the gen line, so you can purchase it separate for other machines

Administrator
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Welcome TJ, if you have any issues navigating the site please be in touch. Samyo has my direct email as well if you need anything.

MickWrath
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
On the swashdrive site you can add this to cart now, is it ready for purchase??

Tengu315
03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I ordered mine (g8) today.

MickWrath
03-06-2013, 01:53 AM
guess thats a yes lol, I will be ordering mine in the a.m.