PDA

View Full Version : 5mm stroke/bearing

jcecil
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Anyone know where I can buy one friction has them on the website but always on back order, I like my kubin set close to 5mm but I have a few nicks and other armature bar rotaries that I would like to make 5mm stroke any ideas?

Administrator
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Better to have the builder make one for you if they will. The motor shaft and hight of the cam and bearing may not match up to your current machine making for a wobbly mess. Alternately they may ask that you return the machine if its an issue of fitting one really well.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

Mozzer337
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Id be careful putting a 5mm on a direct drive. A 5 mil stroke is gonna give you a side to side sway of 5mm too! I have a 4mm kubin dd and the needle bar only just avoids the sides of the tube, and sometimes actually hits it if there is a slight flex in the tube when working. If it hits, then the stroke isnt clean in my opinion and really effects the function. For the record, I prefer a huge 5mm stroke when lining and more so with a rotary. The cranker is awesome with a 5mm stroke.

hendricksonart.com
02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
I can sell you a four mm one for five bucks plus shipping. Honestly though you cant go any larger then that the needle will hit the sides. The bearings I have are at the max you can go. If your direct drive is even slightly off of stright the needle will hit the tube

peter clements
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Romans' adjustable stroke DD can go just over 5mm ,mine is set at 2.5 at the moment,I might open the stroke right up out of sheer curiosity.

Nedz
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I have 5mm cams for sale in brass or alliminium for 2mm or 2.5mm motor shafts, £5 each plus shipping.

MickWrath
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Open that baby up Peter and let us know how she does. If the length from bearing to vice is longer (which it looks to be from pics) on the h&m it should be able to open up to 5 without hitting the tube walls. I'm curious. Mick!

jcecil
02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I think theres a slight confusion not looking for 5mm stroke on a DD that would seem like it would wobble a bit maybe okay for mag work. I am looking for a 5mm stroke for armature rotarys such as Nicks,Stealth,Storm etc. Administrator your right about the bearing not fitting every machine right now I have a 5mm bearing from friction that I have had to modify somewhat for it to work properly but now its my favorite machine for any line work. Thanks for all the replies looks like I just need another Mini Cranker that will open up to that stroke.