PDA

View Full Version : another face

casey
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
All i seem to do in my spare time is faces, I find them very therapeutic and...i like em ! my take on a few more commissions this year if time hopefully allows, mechanical pencils 0.3- 0.9 mm on cartridge paper17087Should give props to the original photographer of my reference (he did the initial hard work after all!) but cant find the name unfortunately

serial1313
02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Goddamn your ability is amazing!

boaz
02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
great work as always

ChrisGuinan
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
This needs contrast in a big way.

artoftatt2
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Looks great Casey.. Has wonderful contrast for paper and pencil sir..

casey
02-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Thank you all so much for the positive feedback .......and advice? Have taken it all on board and had another stab at it, best i could do with the time restraints i have (such as living a life and trying to better my self whilst retaining a jovial stance on life and neglecting my small penis.....but thats another story i shall save for the grown ups!)17098

artoftatt2
02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Hahahaha fucking great!

Administrator
02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Ha! Amazing.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

serial1313
02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I wonder if that is an acceptable amount of "contrast". Haha

ChrisGuinan
02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Obviously no one here wants an honest critique. If you guys want to blow each other all over the internet and tell each other how great you are that's fine and dandy, but when you post in a critique forum you should be prepared to accept just that. A critique. The drawing is a fine drawing, but it needs contrast. The paper doesn't have a damn thing to do with it, and my attitude doesn't either. It simply needs what it needs. You can either take that and learn from it, or continue sticking your heads in the sand it's your choice.

artoftatt2
02-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Well going into a little depth would be more acceptable of a critique .. Rather than get all pissy when some guys wanna have a good time and joke around... The only person I saw getting but hurt around here is you...

rollhard
02-22-2013, 10:52 PM
i'm a fan of both versions!! i think its great and saying it needs more contrast has become a pat response around here lately. i respect that some may feel that way and thats cool. but perhaps offering why and where and how it would enhance the said piece. and maybe just maybe the artist wasn't trying to create something with high contrast? sometimes we should consider the fact that not everything will or should be done to meet our standards or skill level and the piece is exactly what the artist was shooting for. i for one love seeing art that was created for art's sake. all of the above it just my 2cents and i suggest you try not and spend it. shit i think it would have been easier to do with high contrast!!! sometimes less is far more...

tattood
02-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Obviously no one here wants an honest critique. If you guys want to blow each other all over the internet and tell each other how great you are that's fine and dandy, but when you post in a critique forum you should be prepared to accept just that. A critique. The drawing is a fine drawing, but it needs contrast. The paper doesn't have a damn thing to do with it, and my attitude doesn't either. It simply needs what it needs. You can either take that and learn from it, or continue sticking your heads in the sand it's your choice.

DAMN...lol

tattood
02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
I was under the impression that the high contrast was a stlye and not a set in stone way to get down. Im thinking it is art and there are many ways to go about it and their always doesnt need to be that heavy contrast other wise everything wood look the same..

tattood
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
i'm a fan of both versions!! i think its great and saying it needs more contrast has become a pat response around here lately. i respect that some may feel that way and thats cool. but perhaps offering why and where and how it would enhance the said piece. and maybe just maybe the artist wasn't trying to create something with high contrast? sometimes we should consider the fact that not everything will or should be done to meet our standards or skill level and the piece is exactly what the artist was shooting for. i for one love seeing art that was created for art's sake. all of the above it just my 2cents and i suggest you try not and spend it. shit i think it would have been easier to do with high contrast!!! sometimes less is far more...

well said

casey
02-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Obviously no one here wants an honest critique. If you guys want to blow each other all over the internet and tell each other how great you are that's fine and dandy, but when you post in a critique forum you should be prepared to accept just that. A critique. The drawing is a fine drawing, but it needs contrast. The paper doesn't have a damn thing to do with it, and my attitude doesn't either. It simply needs what it needs. You can either take that and learn from it, or continue sticking your heads in the sand it's your choice. I for one Chris absolutely thrive on honest critique especially when given in a constructive and helpful manner, you sir seem to offer neither, not just this thread but on others. Maybe something is being lost in the translation from brain to the internet via your keyboard , I dont know? But in your short time on here you seem to be coming across like the spoilt fat child at a party who always gets sent home early. If im mistaken then please take my sincerest of apologies sir. When critiquing a piece (any piece) it shows good manners and an even greater character to offer some sort of guidance into rectifying the flaws within the piece. And I am sure we could all benefit from the opinions and "eyesight" of an artist of your caliber ...so please dont leave the party early my friend:)

PAWNJOB
02-23-2013, 03:34 AM
Sometimes things get lost in translation especially when texting. Let's all try to play nice.

The drawing is nice for sure. It has enough contrast I think. Maybe not quite enough in the eyes and forehead but overall it has great contrast. I think it's lacking a lot of mid tones though and that's likely what dude was trying to say. For me bridging the gap between the light and dark areas in the right spots would take this piece from good to great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisGuinan
02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
I can see where some of you are coming from, but I think others are making excuses. Simply stating that a piece needs more contrast (or any other simple direction) is every bit as valid as the other posts who simply say 'wow' or 'awesome', It's just not gratifying so everyone seems to be running to defend the artist. We're all adults here, we don't need people to come to our aid and any critique that's given is valid. If you don't agree, that's fine too you can simply ignore it and move on. I'm not trying to be negative, nor am I angry, butt hurt, or have sand in my vagina about anything, I just state what I think fairly plainly and it seems to be taken in a negative manner. Thus far I've mainly posted in critique areas, of course it would seem that I'm being harsh. I am, but I try to be just as helpful in the other areas when I do post there.

Administrator
02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Needs more contrast and needs more black are just sort of a commonly exhausted phrase on most tattoo forums a little elaboration does go a long way. In all honesty the mod made to the drawing did make my borring ride to Detroit last night a little more entertaining. Thanks guys for keeping this all above board.

HIJACK* All this being said "needs more black" is on the drafting table for some forum shirts i want to run in the spring time.

ChrisGuinan
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Needs more contrast and needs more black are just sort of a commonly exhausted phrase on most tattoo forums a little elaboration does go a long way. In all honesty the mod made to the drawing did make my borring ride to Detroit last night a little more entertaining. Thanks guys for keeping this all above board.

HIJACK* All this being said "needs more black" is on the drafting table for some forum shirts i want to run in the spring time.

They may be exhausted, but they are also the most common issues so it's kind of a give and take thing. Glad to help entertain you on your long trip though ;-) I'll be in Detroit today too (I live close, don't judge) and getting a piece from Myke Chambers around 5ish, I hope to see some of you there.

serial1313
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
They may be exhausted, but they are also the most common issues so it's kind of a give and take thing. Glad to help entertain you on your long trip though ;-) I'll be in Detroit today too (I live close, don't judge) and getting a piece from Myke Chambers around 5ish, I hope to see some of you there. The strange thing about all of this is that since you being a negative Nancy about everything has been brought to your attention, you last 2 posts have been normal responses that explain your opinion clearly & nobody is pissed even if you don't agree w/ anyone's opinion. That's all anybody was really expecting you to do. Have a good time getting tattooed, hopefully you will post a picture of your new piece. I would love to see it.

casey
02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Not hiding behind anything here but will point out that in reality the drawing does have much more contrast and better midtones through out but ive managed to once again dilute them in my transferal to the pc screen, Any hows a nice little debate was had and i too would love to see your new tattoo and may you have an enjoyable day

tattood
02-23-2013, 02:09 PM
my question is do u scan the images or take a pic with a camera and load it on ur computer either way is hard to capture all the detail.

On a side note, i found Chris Guinan internet site and the work is really good nice and clean. really quite remarkable.

serial1313
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
my question is do u scan the images or take a pic with a camera and load it on ur computer either way is hard to capture all the detail.

On a side note, i found Chris Guinan internet site and the work is really good nice and clean. really quite remarkable. I agree.

mrbudgie
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
This could of been done on blackpaper with black markers and some one would of said needs more contrast

Have some cheese with your whine

boaz
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Casey you know what to take aboard and what to trash when it comes to feed back...this for me is a great effort ...and if it needs more contrast then adjust your screens...there is no way of really translating to everyone how this really looks Why??? because seriously could be your screens adjustments ..the only honest thing i can see on this is the hair ..i also had trouble with this . i had great results with a reasonably sharp pencil inserted in to a K rubber to give more of a finer stiffer point .But know i have gone back to the much much longer way of doing it due to the translation to skin technique....until K rubbers work on skin lol

CajunDave
02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
i think its done quite well Casey. maybe a pinch more mid tone but yeah real life in translation to computer always loses something in picture.

boaz
u can do hair with just a blending stump that has graphite on it already...then take a 2b or what ever and add some darks and then an electric eraser+kneeded eraser and pull out highlights and u can make some strands with the electric also if u want. then SOFTEN it back up with a cloth or what ever. amazing results on hair. if u zip out strands of hair with the electric it leaves a hard edge so u wanna soften that back up ! another key to hair is leave a decent bit of the detail out. when i draw a portrait i look at the basic shape of the flow of the hair and the shadow areas. the rest i create from my mind .trying to replicate every strand as u see in reference ...eekk , would make me sad. when others view a portrait drawing its usually at the eyes and mouth...they only glance at the hair , so i dont kill my brain trying to get every stand in there.!

hendricksonart.com
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
I like critiques had some very brutal ones by different art professors, however they usually point out the strong points, whats working and whats not working and why. Not a negative blanketed statement about an entire piece. I haven't been on here in months come on here and got two really negative responses from you in a matter of hours. I wouldn't have said anything but the fact others are pointing it out I figured I would as well. There are a few guys on here that can be brutally honest with tact. As far as this drawing goes Its done well I just think it would be stronger if you have more equal parts throughout the value scale. Whitest white through the blackest black. With kinda equal parts of this if possible even playing with the photo or reference to achieve this will make it stronger. When you draw still life's you usually put them in settings with lots of shadowing, shadowing is what makes things vivid and causes a relationship with the viewer.

devans
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
OOooooo! Pmsl.

Very good casey mi ol china.