PDA

View Full Version : ?? replacemtn vivace motors ??

tattood
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
i have been looking at a different stroke motor for my vivace and found out they cost $125.00.. I also have done research on this forum and have found the motor the neotats uses arent that expensive. Kinda feeling 125 is too much and if i was gonna spend that amount on a motor is it possible to fit my vivace with a higher end motor ?

id like to add i dont have a problem dishin out the doe for a good motor. it just got me thinkin when i replaced the spring on my vivace and i saw what the motor looked like.. I then got a machine with a maxon motor which i hear are in the 100 range and it looks like its worth that 100 and sounds much nicer .. any input appreciated

Administrator
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
The motors are locktighted to be one unit with the back. Ray did tests with every motor company out there when he started. The maubuchi is the only one that stood up to the abuse they put it through. Ask ameba designs about the motor shaft he broke on a maxon motor stress testing his machine design. Or no irons about his dealings with maxon. The whole system for neotat and many others are designed to work together. Throwing a different motor in there is not going to make the machine perform and better.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

Administrator
02-22-2013, 05:13 PM
My advice is wait til someone has a complete neo or vivace in the stroke you want posted to the classifieds and pick that one up. What stroke are you currently running?

tattood
02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
The motors are locktighted to be one unit with the back. Ray did tests with every motor company out there when he started. The maubuchi is the only one that stood up to the abuse they put it through. Ask ameba designs about the motor shaft he broke on a maxon motor stress testing his machine design. Or no irons about his dealings with maxon. The whole system for neotat and many others are designed to work together. Throwing a different motor in there is not going to make the machine perform and better.

thank you for the advice and i did just find that thread about the maubuchi outlasting the maxon. I have a 4.2mm and want a 3.5mm. ill probably end up getting one, from needle jig as i have no patience when it comes to acquiring new rotaries.lol.. i was little shocked @ how something so small could cost $125.00. but like u said Ray did do extensive testing so worth it.. :)

Administrator
02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Everything but the motor is made in the us in one building. There are multiple builders on here that do the same. That level of attention is part of shattering you pay for as well as fair pay for real work. You can pick up a standard neotat as well in the 3.5.

tattood
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
i was thinking about it and it does make sense just to get the OG neo 3.5 for 269 being its only 140 more than the cartridge. let me also say i reread my posts and i dont want to come across as a cheap skate.lol because thats not the case just wanted some other opinions :)

Administrator
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Also to clarify. Maxon motors are great so are most of the other ones out there. The best builders have done all the testing on what will marry best to the drive system they use.

Most of these guys have figured it all out for what they make its why so many of them have strong reputations in the industry.

MickWrath
02-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Admin is right, alot of research and testing goes into machine to motor matching, it's obvious when the work isn't done because you get odd voltage spans, fluctuations, underpowered machines, motor heating etc. I know Ray did his homework and he has tons of knowledge and reasons for choosing the mabuchi for the neo, however a mabuchi out lasting a maxon is not commonplace by any means and same goes vice versa there are many variables and grades of motors for every company, both are excellent not to mention quite a few others. My very first neo lasted seriously for years of tattooing and too many hours to count on power supplies I shouldn't have been using lol. I'm sure if I had taken the motor apart and gave it a good once over it woulda doubled its lifespan but I never got around to it. Hindsight is always 20/20 Mick-

Tengu315
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
This reminds me.. I think ray has said that he was working on a new design.. Haven't seen him on here for a wile.. Wonder what his up to. Neo tats are great by the way.i can see my vivace being around with me till the very end.

Administrator
02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
I saw him yesterday in Detroit, he is always working on something. ;)

MickWrath
02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Haha that's all I need is for Ray to come out with a new design, every damn penny I have goes to rotaries haha I know I couldn't resist a new Neotat.

serial1313
02-24-2013, 11:45 PM
That WOULD be horrible, I just got my FIRST 4 in the last 3 months. Haha