PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne Hawk Spirit

tattoosbybill
03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
just got my new hawk spirit yesterday what a machine, anybody with chance to try one should..............I use a deluxe irons for lining and a Bishop, a dragonfly and the hawk ...couldn't ask for a much better lineup...all of these machine are extremely well made and hit like a dream...just an opinion

Administrator
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Did you have the original Hawk before? Curious if you feel there is a big difference. Does the spirit require a proprietary power supply or your regular one will do? By the way make sure you check out t-Tech tips for another option (cheaper) to the proprietary needle system hawk uses. There are some threads about them on here and the company is in Canada, actually just a few miles from my home.

merky
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I have put down the hawk for a minute , so i could learn the neo tatts machines .,,, lovin both still ..........

Zapp
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I LOVE the hawk spirit ! The only difference is: With the first edition i had problems to start the maschine with bigger mags at low volts ! So i had to push the volts higher to start the machine !I would like to try the t-tech needles,but it makes no sence for me ! To expensive to get it over to germany ! The hawk builder is very close to my hometown !

Administrator
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I did not think of that, in north america it makes sense to buy t-tech. Hey buy local when you can. :)

tattoosbybill
03-02-2011, 11:21 PM
i've wanted to check out the t-tech option but have trouble with there web site

Administrator
03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Email or call them, the website is full or problems.

merky
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
long is super on it, get orders out asp give him email....

The Limey
03-03-2011, 03:24 AM
long is super on it, get orders out asp give him email....

Yeah their customer service is great and even after paying for shipping to the UK their needles were still a lot cheaper.

tattoosbybill
03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
got hold of them today and ordered some to try with a hawk spirit i'll post results

The Limey
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
got hold of them today and ordered some to try with a hawk spirit i'll post results

Once you get used to the slightly different tip shapes I don't think you'll have any issues Bill, they work great in both my Spirit and regular Hawks.

Inkstasy
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
This is why I joined! I love the info on here - I have the original Hawk and it's pretty cool - approx $3 a tip is a bit steep but if you do a decent priced tattoo it's easily absorbed. Good to know there are other options - I will check out t-tech tips though!

Administrator
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Be sure to call or email t-tech, everyone I know who orders from them says they are good people just not good web designers. ;) better to call and place orders the old school way. :)

rjdadio
03-04-2011, 12:42 AM
The Cheyennes are super machines.....very high quality products. I had a good visit with Konrad from Cheyenne this past weekend in Detroit. The cartridge system is not for everyone, but I think with this machine you can just change the carts in process and not have to have numerous machines setup at once....but again just personal preference.

The cart prices have dropped from what they used to be. I remember when some distributors in the states were charging upwards of $10 each, and if you went with the permanent cosmetics ones......which were the same......they were up to $15 each.

And with any good product, they have continued to make changes to improve along the way. I have samples of three different spring and seal types they used in their carts over the production history.

Alie K
03-04-2011, 01:13 AM
The Cheyennes are super machines.....very high quality products. I had a good visit with Konrad from Cheyenne this past weekend in Detroit. The cartridge system is not for everyone, but I think with this machine you can just change the carts in process and not have to have numerous machines setup at once....but again just personal preference.

The cart prices have dropped from what they used to be. I remember when some distributors in the states were charging upwards of $10 each, and if you went with the permanent cosmetics ones......which were the same......they were up to $15 each.

And with any good product, they have continued to make changes to improve along the way. I have samples of three different spring and seal types they used in their carts over the production history.

That's kind of nice to only need one, maybe 2 machines and a few cartridges out (though I'm not sure I'd want dirty cartridges laying on my surface waiting to be used again). The concept is kind of intriguing though...

The Limey
03-04-2011, 06:11 AM
That's kind of nice to only need one, maybe 2 machines and a few cartridges out (though I'm not sure I'd want dirty cartridges laying on my surface waiting to be used again). The concept is kind of intriguing though...

Its not really any different to putting your packer down and picking up a liner to add some more fine detail.

Just out of interest, does anyone use the Hawk power supply?

Zapp
03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
The T-Tech website is up again !
I have checked the prices,wwwwoooowwww !
I thought the price is a bit lower as from the hawk original modules !
But this is ridiculous !!!!!!
One pack of 10 from the hawk builder cost 30 Euros !
On pack of 20 from T-tech cost 12 Euros !
This is unbelievable !
In compare to the originals,cheap as chips !
I dont know the quality but i will post it when i get my order !

Alie K
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
This is unbelievable !

Zapp, my coworker now gets his cartridges from t-tech and is VERY pleased with them. He has no issues with quality. :D

Alie K
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Its not really any different to putting your packer down and picking up a liner to add some more fine detail.

Just out of interest, does anyone use the Hawk power supply?

They're just really little - I feel like they'd roll away or something! (fyi - the floors are so uneven in the shop I work at, depending on where I place my rolling toolbox, I occasionally have to lock the drawers as they will open on me as I work.)

Administrator
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
This is unbelievable !

Should really approach t-tech to buy advertising on here, ha!

The Limey
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
They're just really little - I feel like they'd roll away or something! (fyi - the floors are so uneven in the shop I work at, depending on where I place my rolling toolbox, I occasionally have to lock the drawers as they will open on me as I work.)

They aren't that small, Hawk cartridges are approx 2 1/2" X 1/2" and the T-Tech are are hair bigger. If things roll around you could get yourself a stainless steel tray to go on top of your box Alie.

Zapp
03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Zapp, my coworker now gets his cartridges from t-tech and is VERY pleased with them. He has no issues with quality. :D
This is realy unbelieable what a big price range is between the hawk and t-tech !
And from the original module you have sometimes ones you have to collect, and then send it back to the builder to replace it !
Its a shame !!!!
I realy cant wait to check it out !

The Limey
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
This is realy unbelieable what a big price range is between the hawk and t-tech !
And from the original module you have sometimes ones you have to collect, and then send it back to the builder to replace it !
Its a shame !!!!
I realy cant wait to check it out !

Well you shouldn't have to wait long, they got them to me in 3 days...

Big Oh
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
So whats the difference between the hawk and spirit?

Jan Li
03-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I have both machines. The Spirit does the same with big needles as the old one. if i have a big needle around 23 i think, the needle was with the machines. You have to bump the volts up befor its starts, but when you have started it it tattooes with the big needles okay but its a pain in the ass to turn volts up and down when you tattoo.Else i can only see its the design and collor there is the differense, but a good machines in my opinion but i have only tattooed with them a couple of times each. The Hawk snak a little when lining with long stroke , the Spirit i have not notest that but as i say i have only use for short time. The Stroke is more or less the same when eye balling it. Jan LI

slicksteel
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
The prices are higher on the Cheyenne carts because they had to do alot of R&D first before T-tech. T-tech took it one step further and bounced of there ideas. T-tech are well made and i am sure the cheyenne ones are to.They look to both have certain advantages.

elbo
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi guys i just got a hawk machine and would welcome any tips ! ive heard the grips dont take kindly to ultrasonic cleaning?...seen some using cling film wrap on grips?...any info will help
thanks
mark

slicksteel
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
you could also use baggies.

JohnnyChaos
03-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Been tempted to get a hawk my self. love the idea of the cartridges. Is it true they suck badly at lining?

The Limey
03-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Been tempted to get a hawk my self. love the idea of the cartridges. Is it true they suck badly at lining?

Nope they line great especially with the T-Tech liners which seem to be a little looser and in my opinion at least, put ink in better.

Zapp
03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I only can tell from the T-Tech mags,they are AWESOME !!!!!

tattoosbybill
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
they don't suck with lining but there is a learning curve, then they are golden

tattoosbybill
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
you need a special kind of ultra sonic soap or it ruins the adjusting devise in the tube

JohnnyChaos
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Thought I'd add a reply to my self since I got a Hawk.
I've not tried lining with the official cartridges, but have been using the 5rl and 8rl t-tech ones with great results.
In fact I'd go as far as saying it is my fave machine for lining ever, even sold my aaron cain.
Not just lining. My favorite machine for everything really. It's the only thing I've used for the past couple of months. Going to get a Spirit soon and use my current hawk as a backup.
Wish I'd got one years a go.

Inkwerks
05-21-2011, 01:50 AM
got the hawk back out the drawer today, forgot how much i love shading with it. thanks for the tip on t-tech. i never use it for lining though. how many volts are you guys using it on for lining?

JohnnyChaos
05-22-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm using 11v for lining. says in the manual that's about 140cps

The Limey
05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm using 11v for lining. says in the manual that's about 140cps

11Volts is 110 cps.

JohnnyChaos
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Really. It says 140 in the cheyenne manual.

The Limey
05-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Ah I only have the power supply one

RyanDearringer
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Anyone care to share what they have found to work well with the Hawk as far as voltages and configurations? My current common voltages and needle configurations to go along with them are roughly as follows:

Lining:
I prefer Ttech round shaders as the looser configurations tend to lend to less trauma, but you have to account for size differential. For example I use a 3RS to get a typical 5RL thickness, 5 for 7, and 7 for 9 and so on. I line anywhere from 9 to 10 volts on my eikon power supply and move slow and smooth and get great results. I also have the needle four clicks from full extension. I had choppy results from the tighter liners from both cheyenne and ttech. Been having awesome results with this setup.

Shading:
I have been doing my BnG with the needle backed off roughly five or six clicks and running around 11 or 12 volts using Hawk rounded 13 mags for most things or ttech standard 9 rounded mags, but have had success with almost all my mags in this range. For color have been running around 9 to 10 volts but have the needle fully extended. I recently read somewhere that people have been doing color realism with a shorter stroke and running closer to 12 or so volts to get smoother more buttery looking color.

Any one with any other input or findings please share!