PDA

View Full Version : Roy Richardson Machine Puff of Smoke

Alie K
03-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Ok, really weird. I went to use my Roy Richardson machine today. When I started it up, I noticed a small puff of smoke come out the back of my machine bag. Took my foot off the pedal. Smelled the back of the machine and indeed, it had a faint 'something burned' smell.

Just to be on the safe side, I reversed my clipcord and started it up again. No puff of smoke the second time. Tattooed fine with it.

Anyone else EVER have this happen with an Uncle Royj or other direct drive rotarty? I don't think it's broken, or is it? D:

Rattus
03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Did it get louder, even slightly?
The cap (noise filter) may have burned out or shorted.

Zapp
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I had a problem with one of my first rotary machines !
I bought it new and after a few minutes test run,i notice it come some dust out of the machine !
After a few minutes it stops !
I get it replaced but then i sell it pretty quick !

The Limey
03-03-2011, 11:23 AM
it could just be wear on the commutator.

Alie K
03-03-2011, 11:58 AM
No, Rattus. It didn't get louder (at least not that I could tell). It didn't make any more smoke. Just that one. There just isn't a polarity indicator on that machine (does it matter with a RR?) and as the contacts are side by side, I just was hoping that I didn't have it running the wrong direction.

What's the rule with rotaries again? Looking straight on at them, they turn clockwise or conterclockwise? Or does it matter?

I was just afraid I unknowingly broke my machine! (which would suck as we were fast becoming friends)

Limey, what's a commutator? (Ok, here's where I know I need a coffee because my brain isn't working because now I can't get the "Der Kommisar [don't turn around]" song out of my head...)

Administrator
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Did the smoke look anything like this when it came out?

:D

The Limey
03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Without going into a huge boring explanation of the how's and why's its the part that sits between the brushes on a DC motor...

http://image.wistatutor.com/content/feed/tvcs/dc-motor-parts.jpeg

Alie K
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Did the smoke look anything like this when it came out?

:D

Actually, yes. But more vertical.

Rattus
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
No specs on what motor he uses. I asked him and he just said it's a strong British made motor.
When I hooked up a couple that we have in stock, no smoke, no electrical smell and they are unidirectional.
Also unknown if he does a motor break in period. (read that somewhere, maybe a motor manufacturer. Something about running a continuous power source at 1/2 for a certain period of time, maybe 24 hours, could be wrong though.)

Alie K
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Very interesting to know! Thank you, Rattus. The machine I got was a used one (I had no idea how much I'd like it) and it supposedly had very minimal usage time on it.

The good part was that the small whisp of smoke was only that one puff, and then it was done. The electrical smell seemed to dissipate. I used it on the last day I was working before my 'weekend' so I haven't gotten a chance to use it again. Someone said that it could have just been a weird arc that probably won't happen again.

If it does, I'll be contacting Roy to ask about it's servicability. I really love it, and am considering getting another! I bet you ship pretty quickly!....