PDA

View Full Version : New* Rotary only power supply

crabink
03-14-2013, 02:07 AM
I have heard there is a new rotary only power supply that can give stitch count... volts, side sway the works.
Anyone go a link?

crabink
03-15-2013, 12:58 AM
no one? a friend at musink said that the people from Bishop created it?

yes no

asA
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Seems like it would have a hard time figuring stitches from all the different motors and manufacturers.... and if bishop makes it its probably a mass produced meh quality product. Id stick with eikon or critical.

clint morrison
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Swashdrive has a new power supply coming out for rotaries. It's on their website. I dunno if that's the one, but it looks pretty cool

OwlsDen
03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Swashdrive has a new power supply coming out for rotaries. It's on their website. I dunno if that's the one, but it looks pretty cool

Looks interesting for sure.. I only wonder how readable the display is. I really like how clean and understated it is. It looks like a tool rather than a missing display panel from some scifi movie.

The Limey
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM

The Spinner... looks good actually but I'm really liking the look of the latest Critical

OwlsDen
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
The Spinner... looks good actually but I'm really liking the look of the latest Critical

I agree.. It's much cleaner now and less 1990s rave flyer. I have always hated the text on the Criticals.

No Iron Machines
03-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Any power supply can work fine with rotary

MickWrath
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
...even ones that switch on and off very rapidly to simulate lower volts which in turns doesn't allow the HZ to be maintained and drops them low, instead of actually running a smooth lower voltage current that keeps the HZ up? This will burn out any DC motor quickly. Or power supplies that wont even power up or shut off a rotary motors current due to a duty cyclic read of 99? I'm sorry but your statement just isn't true. Misinformation can cause confusion for those looking for answers.

crabink
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
the swashdrive spinner comes out in april... it's designed for rotary...

CJ Shades
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm interested to see how a power supply can calculate rpms on a dc motor without a phototach connected.

tattood
04-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I had looked into this a while back and from what i can see the "Spinner" has no display for RPM, although it could be on the back, but what wood be the point of that..... 18111

Nedz
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Here's a question why does a rotary machine need a special power supply, the Remote Control helicopter and speed boat guys have been using dc motors to power their gadgets for years with out any special power supply. I would be careful about being conned into buying the latest power supply just because some company says you need it. I want to see some stats first like adds extra torque to a standard motor, something that can be physically measured.

I know there is a guy from New Zealand that produces a pulse unit that plugs into your power supply. Then you can adjust the amount of pulses and length of the pulse this is great for smoothing out old power units or cheaper ones but this type of unit works best with a coil machine. If someone has some data on pulsing power to dc motor and its effect I would love to see it because I presume thats what this new power supply is all about.

One final word of warning the only people I have every heard referring to a stitch count are the Chinese because its kind of lost in translation but I found a lot of terms are different here in the US.

I think I might have to emigrate here, I am loving Texas so far.

tattood
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
agreed ^^^

Nedz
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
You can not calculate RPM on an electric motor with out some sort of input.
You would need to input a least the rated voltage for the motor and the listed RPM for that voltage either loaded or unloaded and once the motor was running you would get a different reading for RPM with a needle in the skin and with the needle out of the skin or with no needle at all.

There are different motors made to run fast with little torque and run slow with lots of torque this would be a nightmare to calculate on resistance of power flow only.

fkirons
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I had the pleasure to see this unit and play with it. Samyo showed it to me.
It's a nice unit and pretty small. Nice gadget to have if you have spare cash.

Do I think we need a special power supply for rotaries? Maybe not.
Conventional units are doing the job just fine.

I personally prefer straight forward power units.
Something that makes me do less work rather than make me do more work.

The least buttons I need to press the better.

No Iron Machines
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Don need any specific power supply for rotary, any good one is ok, the problem of power supply-rotary come out with this new generation of power supply, same eikon or critical,
i have critical supply and work perfect too with any rotary, from the 5 usd chinese to dragonfly

ChrisGuinan
04-06-2013, 03:37 PM
I defy you to show me any real positive change or results in the actual tattoo using some 'special' rotary power supply versus my Eikon 400 or Critical.

skinmech
04-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I defy you to show me any real positive change or results in the actual tattoo using some 'special' rotary power supply versus my Eikon 400 or Critical.

I agree with Chris on this, it just seems "gimicky". Or look on like it like this, is it just another avenue for some kid with a lot of Money, to just buy all the "new stuff" and assume they can tattoo by numbers.....

crabink
04-07-2013, 01:06 AM
omg we have to get it... all of us.... don't you see... it's newwwwwww!!!!!!! something different and newwwwwwwww! .... oh the addiction.. the humanity, the needless dollars spent.. because because. it's it's newwww!

Samyo
04-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Ok I need to change the date on the Spinner, we made a late change to the board and wanted to prove it out before going into full production.

The Power Supply was designed specifically with rotaries in mind and it will also happily run your coils. Our main focus was to deliver a clean DC output with all of the advantages of digital technology and we have managed to do that. The issue with power switching is as "Mickwrath" describe further up this thread some of the digital supplies don't switch fast enough (Hz to low) and this can shorten the life span of the motor.

The Spinner has 9 programmable preset options, you can even name your machines whatever you like, the display has nice big clear numbers and you can set it up just to give you the basic info or you can have all of the info including Cycles per second, that was one of the things that we wanted to achieve and have manage to come up with a way that works pretty well. It also comes with all of the Swashdrive preset.

We are not giving to much more away at this point, but production has finally started and we are looking at June for the first batch to be out...

slicksteel
04-26-2013, 09:40 PM
dam all you guys bashing . any ways samyo is there going to be a stand where it slides on to like some of the other ones.
looks nice ,compact and easy to keep clean.

Hammer
04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
I have heard there is a new rotary only power supply that can give stitch count... volts, side sway the works.
Anyone go a link?

Probably you speak about this power unit...

http://lithuanianirons.com/shop/power-supplies

Administrator
04-26-2013, 11:35 PM
A power unit with just numbers that can be bagged is ideal for cosmetic tattooers. Its a legitimate industry some of these companies forget about getting the attention of.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

Samyo
07-29-2013, 09:28 PM
New Power supply ...

9 Programmable Presets
You can calibrate your rotary machine to get an accurate cycles count
Fast and responsive touch pad
Multiple Language (English, German, Spanish)
3 Footswitch modes - Momentary, Continuous and Manual
A easy to set up and see Timer
Multiple Display choices Default or Advanced.
simple clean style and touchpad so it is easy to bag and keep clean
and a couple of other features.
http://www.swashdrivetattoomachines.com/category/spinner/default.asp

Samyo
07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Just following up on some of the comments in this thread ... there was a couple of reasons we built something & made it specific for rotaries.

1. There is an issue with Power Switching in that if it is not high enough (at least 32k hertz +) then it will shorten the life span of a rotary motor. And with some of the newer style pancake motors coming out it is even more important.
2. The idea of being able to read the cycles was basically a wishlist idea that Tony Oliver from Swashdrive put to the two of us when we had the first discussion about building a power supply. Someone up this thread said how impossible it would be (or words like that) .. it was not impossible but it was bloody difficult, as all of the different motors with the different mechanisms put out hugely different signals. So that is why if you want to use the cycles options you need to use the presets and calibrate you rotary machine (it will give you a figure within +or- 3 cycles per second)
3. Apart from wanting to deliver clean, ripple free DC for Rotaries and maybe have Cycles as an option, we wanted to build something that artists wanted to use. So we set about asking a heap of artists what they would like to see in a power supply, what was important and what was not so important.

So that is what we set about doing, yes the cycles option can sound a bit gimmicky on one hand, but what it does give you is a level of really fine adjustment, some folk like that some folk don't care, and as Tony is oft quoted as saying the good artists could tattoo well with a wind up clock.

If you are a tattoo by the numbers person then maybe it will help, but for those folk that aren't we still wanted to build a power supply that would work well for them.

So we asked ... and this is how we addressed some of the priorities.

It is easy to bag & keep clean and you can still see the screen clearly (this is one thing we heard a lot)

The touchpad is really responsive & fast that was one of the criticisms we heard about touchpads and it works well through a bag. (it comes set at a high sensitivity because some folk & touchpads just don't gel but you can dial it down if you get button bleed - which means your aura is so huge you just have to wave your hand over it .. :) )

Some folk wanted presets so this one has 9 that you can name what you want (up to 9 letters)

Some folk didn't care so you can just select the M button & start work.

Some folk wanted all the details, Htz, Cycles, Volts etc ... some folk wanted just the 1 big number .. so you can set the Spinner to Default or Advanced so that you can have it either way.

Different people wanted it to start on a different screen so you have 3 options. Main Menu, Presets or Last Setting.

People wanted the numbers to be easily read from an angle so we did that.

It has been nearly two years in the making, and for the last 6 months we have been testing it and refining it based on artists feedback, so whilst we don't expect everyone to love it (because that shit just ain't ever gonna happen) we hope enough of you like it & those of you that read this might appreciate the work we put into it.

Oh an done other thing it does not matter what country you are in the wall plug comes with the different country plugs so you can just swap it out.

It also comes with a stand to stick to you bench or you can take it off & stick the rubber feet on.

Anyway that's it from the horses mouth we hope you like it and give it a shot ... if folk have any questions please ask me on e-mail or Facebook and I will do my best to get back on here & check in. Cheers Samyo
[email protected]

Samyo
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Ok here is a video of the features and menu functions of the SPINNER ... just thought maybe some folk were interested ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLkZXLr-8Y&feature=youtu.be

FRANCO VESCOVI
08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Anyone go a link?

We have been working very diligently on creating one of the first of its kind power supplies that will cater to all rotary machines. I have teamed up with my buddy Ken over at Critical Power Supply to help with this project and we are so close to perfection. It's is going to be a beast and satisfy many issues people have with power supplies. Finally a power supply built specifically for rotaries. Look ut for the official post very soon with the first batch only available to forum members and with a discount.

NOTE: This will also be able to power all coil machines and with much cleaner power voltage due to the technology we are using that will satisfy both worlds!

andrewc
08-18-2013, 07:44 PM
national has the spinner too
http://www.nationaltattoo.com/Spinner-Tattoo-Power-Supply-p/spinner.htm

deeptat2
08-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Just following up on some of the comments in this thread ... there was a couple of reasons we built something & made it specific for rotaries.

1. There is an issue with Power Switching in that if it is not high enough (at least 32k hertz +) then it will shorten the life span of a rotary motor. And with some of the newer style pancake motors coming out it is even more important.
2. The idea of being able to read the cycles was basically a wishlist idea that Tony Oliver from Swashdrive put to the two of us when we had the first discussion about building a power supply. Someone up this thread said how impossible it would be (or words like that) .. it was not impossible but it was bloody difficult, as all of the different motors with the different mechanisms put out hugely different signals. So that is why if you want to use the cycles options you need to use the presets and calibrate you rotary machine (it will give you a figure within +or- 3 cycles per second)
3. Apart from wanting to deliver clean, ripple free DC for Rotaries and maybe have Cycles as an option, we wanted to build something that artists wanted to use. So we set about asking a heap of artists what they would like to see in a power supply, what was important and what was not so important.

So that is what we set about doing, yes the cycles option can sound a bit gimmicky on one hand, but what it does give you is a level of really fine adjustment, some folk like that some folk don't care, and as Tony is oft quoted as saying the good artists could tattoo well with a wind up clock.

If you are a tattoo by the numbers person then maybe it will help, but for those folk that aren't we still wanted to build a power supply that would work well for them.

So we asked ... and this is how we addressed some of the priorities.

It is easy to bag & keep clean and you can still see the screen clearly (this is one thing we heard a lot)

The touchpad is really responsive & fast that was one of the criticisms we heard about touchpads and it works well through a bag. (it comes set at a high sensitivity because some folk & touchpads just don't gel but you can dial it down if you get button bleed - which means your aura is so huge you just have to wave your hand over it .. :) )

Some folk wanted presets so this one has 9 that you can name what you want (up to 9 letters)

Some folk didn't care so you can just select the M button & start work.

Some folk wanted all the details, Htz, Cycles, Volts etc ... some folk wanted just the 1 big number .. so you can set the Spinner to Default or Advanced so that you can have it either way.

Different people wanted it to start on a different screen so you have 3 options. Main Menu, Presets or Last Setting.

People wanted the numbers to be easily read from an angle so we did that.

It has been nearly two years in the making, and for the last 6 months we have been testing it and refining it based on artists feedback, so whilst we don't expect everyone to love it (because that shit just ain't ever gonna happen) we hope enough of you like it & those of you that read this might appreciate the work we put into it.

Oh an done other thing it does not matter what country you are in the wall plug comes with the different country plugs so you can just swap it out.

It also comes with a stand to stick to you bench or you can take it off & stick the rubber feet on.

Anyway that's it from the horses mouth we hope you like it and give it a shot ... if folk have any questions please ask me on e-mail or Facebook and I will do my best to get back on here & check in. Cheers Samyo
[email protected]

Samyo.....will work on this inkjecta flite v2.1?

darkness
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
ye ..it works with all rotarys - the flite too :)

crabink
09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Anyone run one yet... and yes there is an advantage to the life of your motor.
Recently my Halo will suddenly increase its speed, both of em and I have changed RCA cords and even the transformer cord. So apparently the crital cx-2 i am using is havign an issue.
Usually happens after an hour or two of tattooing... i will be tattooing around 6 volts and i will feel it increase to around 7 or 8 volts for a while and go back down.
seriously pissing me off. The quote below is from the swashdrive website.

Finally a power supply built for rotary's.

For the last 15 mths we have been working closely with an electrical engineer to develop a reliable power supply for our Swashdrive tattoo machines.

The Spinner is a digital power supply that offers a clean, ripple free DC current to ensure the long life of your rotary motors.

Some power supplies use power switching to mimic lower voltages, effectively turn the power on and off to replicate a reduced voltage, this stop start delivery of power if not at a high enough Hz will eventually damage the motor and reduce its

life.

cagelavey
09-30-2013, 05:04 PM
that's weird. I use my critical cx1-v2 everyday with gen 8 and neo vivace. never do I have a change in volts. have you ran your halo on another power supply to see if its the machine vs. power supply? also my buddy went to best buy and bought this insane surge protector. looks like a small pc tower, lol. if we were to lose power at the shop his machine would still run for up to 30 minutes with the surge protector he has. im thinking about getting one. he says its the cleanest current he has ever used

crabink
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Im gonna run a different power supply today to see if that is the real problem...

Martinoslice
10-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi crabink, did you ever resolve the issue with your halo changing speed, I'm having the same issue.