PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Prodigy

crabink
03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
I am actually selling my Prodigy on eBay because I can't really do shit with it.

I don't know why everyone loves these rotaries... However, I am very optimistic that maybe someone can help me run this machine right.

Am I running it to fast.. to slow .. not enough give? So fucking disappointed after dropping 690.00 on the machine.

The thing is... I got 3 days to decide and or learn how to use this machine or I will let the eBayer take it, unless you guys can help me

Should I start out on low volts around like 5 and slowly increase speed?

How does the hit feel compared to the coils hit?

What volts, stroke length and give are you guys running yours at for color? I am using the 3.5 and the 4 for color...but maybe I am running it to high.. not even sure what I was running it at.. can't find the recommender volts specs anyhwere.
Same question for Black n Grey
Same for Lining for Lining

slicksteel
03-29-2013, 12:41 AM
why dont you set it with no give like your rotaryworks. and go from there. its a 12v motor so most work around 7-10 fine

crabink
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Prodigy it a 4.5 volts motor
RW ID is 6 volt.

I think i will try and run it on the low side with no give/ or very low give and play with the range..

I can not find the recommeded operating volts specs for the Prodigy anywhere.. just the stroke length specs

tattood
03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
i just dont understand this question man i no u are used to coils but i feel ur over thinking the rotaries, i have really limited experience and can pretty much get a machines volt range on the first session, not to say it wont change a little but have it basically down. if its a 12v maxon start at close to no give 7.5v for shade, put that fucker to the skin see how it works and adjust accordingly. my guess is if ur using 11+ mags ur gonna be shading at well over 8 volts. same with lining man start with a small liner a 5 for example set it up along ur daily liner as a back up and, attempt to use ur prodigy at close to 9.5v then adjust from there.once u get the volt range then start to play with the give

im sure its a 4.5 watt motor.. Watts is not the same as volts,

crabink
03-29-2013, 12:57 AM
You want me to shade at 9.5? volts.. with the Prodigy?

tattood
03-29-2013, 01:03 AM
im not really sure man i dont have one but i do have maxons with 12v motors and if urs is 12v also 9.5 is good for lining and 8-9 for shading. my machines with maxons have 5 watt and believe a 6 watt .im just not certain on the volts ur machines motor.. im sure someone that has one will chime in, u should ask artoftatt2

*also i have seen ur work man u are really good and i think u just have to take ur time and be prepared to mess with the volts. also ur starting off with one of the bigboys in the rotary world not a DDO or DDL that is plug and play u have options with it and best to give it time especially since ur just getting comfortable with rotaries

crabink
03-29-2013, 01:04 AM
no its a 4.5v motor

crabink
03-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Yeah i would hate to just sell off the rotaries and be done with them if there is an actual benefit... so far lining is tight with the RW ID.
Wish i could find that actual recommended volts specs for the Prodigy.. my wife threw away the box.. and i never even saw info inside... was sooo pissed.

and thanks for the props homie... very appreciative

tattood
03-29-2013, 01:11 AM
http://www.nationaltattoo.com/Stigma-Rotary-4-5W-Motor-p/4wmotor.htm

im not seeing the volt info just watts

tattood
03-29-2013, 01:14 AM
non the less with ur experience u will figure it out, i think ur kinda just locked into ur coils and thinking outside the box might be difficult if u have been doing the same thing for the past years..

crabink
03-29-2013, 01:19 AM
What seems to be the biggest problem is i am not sure what the hit should be like.... how it should feel.... I don't want to overwork the skin.

Having the recommended volt specs would really help... every other machine out there tell you the rec volts.

seawall paul
03-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Thumb that armature and tattoo, wtf?

slicksteel
03-29-2013, 02:03 AM
bro its a 4.5 WATT motor - rated at 12 volts.

slicksteel
03-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Open it it up with 1/4 turns at a time-on most rotary a full turn and half is plenty if you like a lot of give. Remember on a rotary the needles are not slapped in like a coil. Way To much give will just end up scraping the top layer of skin,over working it and not puncturing. It will lead to longer heals, bleeding,ink loss etc. but will not cause a lot of pain to the customer.
Do some work on your shelf bro
What are you try to get out of a rotary?
are you try to make it work like a coil for you?Trying to make the work look the same?
Think of it as a different tool to do different types of applications of tattooing.

crabink
03-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Ok ....ill give it a try

The Limey
03-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Why don't you shoot Stigma an email and ask how it compares to the Hyper V3 as they list all the Hz info (http://www.stigma-rotary-tattoo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107&Itemid=101) for that.

artoftatt2
03-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Pmd you the info

arte
03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Crabink,
This is Artemis from Stigma ,for shading with the Prodigy & 4,5 watt motor you can start from 7 volts and go up to 10 volts it depends on types of needles ,type of skin , technique, and give adjustment, we would recommend approximately 8~9 volts and with the control screw unscrewed about 1 ~2 turns, you should start from there and see how the shading looks like , if you want it more intense increase the volts ( speed ) , if you want it softer then decrease the volts , also keep in mind if you adjust the control screw for much give then you can not run the machine to fast because the stroke length increases with the speed so the needles got to much force and ,so it is better to decrease the volts instead of unscrewing the control screw to much. In case you also have the 10 watt motor you should run it on even lower volts because this motor is very strong and gets all its RPM ( revolutions per minute) even if the machine is heavy loaded and also it doesn’t slow down when the needles hit the skin.

Tengu315
03-29-2013, 11:17 AM
I think the confusion between watts and volts is causing this..crab repeatedly said its 4.5 volts. But it's really a 12volt motor .. So he's just running it to slow.
I bet a lot of people get those two mixed up... Am I right?

tattood
03-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I think the confusion between watts and volts is causing this..crab repeatedly said its 4.5 volts. But it's really a 12volt motor .. So he's just running it to slow.

I think your right man but when i get a machine the first thing i do is hook it up and mess around with it and see how the a bar feels on different volts.. and really thats all thats needed, but all i really use are rotaries so i no what to expect, i understand someone not being familiar their new tool but dam like slick said do a lil piece on your oown leg or something.lol. i think crabs downfall on this issue is only using the prodigy a few times, and then jumping to the conclusion it wasnt for him before really even knowing what he was using

crabink
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Why don't you shoot Stigma an email and ask how it compares to the Hyper V3 as they list all the Hz info (http://www.stigma-rotary-tattoo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107&Itemid=101) for that.

i did lol

crabink
03-29-2013, 06:29 PM

yes.. lol i did

MickWrath
03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I run mine around 9 with ttechs so you should be good between 7-9 volts depending on your hand speed. As mentioned you should start with the give knob turned in all the way for no give an back it out slowly until you find your spot. Let us know how it goes after a couple pieces.

crabink
03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
got a piece today.. final session of a half sleeve pheonix encircled by blue flames.. gonna give it a toss. thanks mick

MickWrath
03-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Let us know how she runs for ya.

crabink
03-30-2013, 12:46 AM
well fucking well... The Prodigy performed fucking bomb... I went through an entire saturation and blending session on sick phoenix half sleeve I been working on in 2 and half hours with the Prodigy running around 7 - 7.5 with a 9 bugpin mag.. about one turn out for give.. I will say this... i completely had the idea of give all wrong... its not coil machine give lol.... its tattooing fast as fuck and here's a little dampening for ya give. It is more like a DD even with the give opened a little... so that was a good learning experience. That being said, thanks for the help.. i think I will keep it... or trade it for a Halo lmfao