PDA

View Full Version : TATTOO NATION the movie April 4th

serial1313
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
The movie Tattoo Nation is opening in theaters April 4th. It is a Documentary on the revolution of Black & Grey tattooing. It is going to be awesome. If you younger guys want to learn about some tattoo history, go check it out. I assume that everybody will learn something from this movie. It will show Black & Grey from it's beginning up until now. SUPPORT THE TATTOO COMMUNITY & GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

tattood
03-31-2013, 09:15 PM
this younger guy isnt a jab at me is it.lolo j/k of course and i already have tickets to the april 4th showing in sebastopol..

serial1313
03-31-2013, 10:10 PM
It was a jab @ anybody that doesn't have an interest in the history of tattooing or where the profession came from. Obviously not you, you already have a ticket.

georgiadevil
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
lol...you guys are funny. I was wondering what that movie was all about though.

serial1313
03-31-2013, 10:44 PM
You can see the trailer for it @ tattoonation.com or Youtube.

tattood
03-31-2013, 11:08 PM
i was joking around , i think u knew that serial but not sure.lolo

serial1313
03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
i was joking around , i think u knew that serial but not sure.lolo Yeah, I took it jokingly. Different thread, different topic. That is pretty much how I try to treat the forum.

(Opted Out)
04-01-2013, 04:08 AM
Is it online? Or showing in uk?

Barren
04-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Is it online? Or showing in uk?

same question :)

JohnnyChaos
04-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Yep.

https://www.facebook.com/TattooNationMovie/app_462673270469557

hellraiser6662
04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
It showing at the Odeon cinemas in April on the 23rd around England these are the Odeon cinemas it's being shown at.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Wonderland
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Eh, I won't go see it. I refuse to be apart of the selling out of our profession. This is a profession that should be handed down to those who will not pervert it.

serial1313
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Eh, I won't go see it. I refuse to be apart of the selling out of our profession. This is a profession that should be handed down to those who will not pervert it. Another way of looking @ what you said is, "I am going to deny myself the joy of learning about tattooing(watching this movie), because people that don't tattoo are going to get to see it too." That is cheating yourself man.

Wonderland
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Another way of looking @ what you said is, "I am going to deny myself the joy of learning about tattooing(watching this movie), because people that don't tattoo are going to get to see it too." That is cheating yourself man.

I would not say it is cheating myself. I have been in the business for going on 28 years, I have had the pleasure of talking to and learning from quite a a lot of old timers, and some of the new artists as well. Add the fact that I can ask a question here or pick up the phone and call artists that I know if I get stuck with a technique I'm sure I have all my bases covered. Watching a movie won't help me if I can't ask a question. I'm don't think I am denying myself of anything really, I just prefer a different route.

serial1313
04-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Yeh, but the movie will have the story from different perspectives. I only have 20 years tattooing & I don't know anybody, so it sounds interesting to me. I wasn't insinuating that you would learn technique from the movie, just history & stories of how it all came about. I don't need for you to see it Haha!, it just looked like it would be more interesting than G.I. Joe & whatever other crap is out there, to people that tattoo. It just doesn't seem to be a Gleaming The Cube type of movie where they are just milking tattooing. It seems like a movie that won't be necessarily interesting for people that don't tattoo. Maybe?

tattood
04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
shit main reason im going is the hole danny trejo aspect of prison tattoos and exploring the idea black and grey tattooing stemmed from it.. i find stuff like that extremely interesting, kinda stupid if i think about it but i did 4 years straight and ill still watch any lock up or gangland that pertains to california prisons or street gangs.lol.. most the time i just like to watch because i find it interesting the errors the t.v. shows make.. i will say as off late they are getting really good info and most the shows i see are almost entirely accurate in their depictions

Wonderland
04-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I have never been a main stream artist, I have always kept a small shop, with close knit customers who I have had the pleasure of tattooing. I used to be a big convention whore and a look at what I do kinda artist. But now I try and be more about my art. I'm sure the movie will be interesting but I will have to say that it just seems like a money grab to me. For me being an artist is not about history, it's about creating. Our artistic influences are all around us. Our history is checkered at best, picking out what we need when we need it is how I have always been as an artist. Our biggest road block in this industry is not history, it's our canvases. They dictate what we can do, when the canvas is uneducated so shall our work suffer and our frustration with our craft increase.

So when I want to learn I turn to those that know and I can ask what I need to know. Our greatest form of education about our craft is education our customers. Something that the tattoo tv shows have not helped with, and neither will this move.

I know I may seem bitter, but I'm not I promise, I have just gotten to the point where I would rather concentrate on making better art, not falsely ligitimizing where my art has come from. It is about where it is heading and what I can accomplish. Art should be created for art it's self, not because someone dictates where and how.

serial1313
04-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Cool, don't go see it. I had a small paragraph written as a response but I just don't care if you or anybody else doesn't want to see it. I just wanted to inform people who do.

hellraiser6662
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Well I'm going to see it, because I'm interested. And I'm sure others will go to because they are interested. The film was shown in London @ the convention never got to see it then, so I'm going to see in Norwich. To be honest you isnt going to learn anything apart from people's story. And there's nothing wrong in listening to people's story's. And if they make a pound or dollar from the time they put into then good on them.

zack_fa1r
04-01-2013, 05:41 PM
fuck yeah me n the mrs wona go see this.
hellraiser i was also at london when it was showed, steve soto was doing a piece on my mrs, got 20 mins in then buggered off to watch this for 90mins leaving us to watch his station, we were like what the fuck ha!! poor girl had to come first thing sunday to get it finished.

serial1313
04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
fuck yeah me n the mrs wona go see this.
hellraiser i was also at london when it was showed, steve soto was doing a piece on my mrs, got 20 mins in then buggered off to watch this for 90mins leaving us to watch his station, we were like what the fuck ha!! poor girl had to come first thing sunday to get it finished. What a DICK! I don't know if I would have gone back on Sunday.

flatline
04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I saw the preview. I don't agree with it. Portraits where done in concentration camps in attempt to keep from being put to death. Not just from some thugs in a west coast American prison. Thats holly wood for ya though. Trying to make everything about them to turn a buck. Don't get me wrong, the west coast def had it's own style, Swirls mixed with thug art, but to say they where the first at realism and bng? Horse shit. These shows and movies do a service as far as making tattoos more popular and socially acceptable. As for a tattoo artist to get all giddy about this crap is beyond me though. It's a BS rock star life and attitude. It's like people wearing SOA shirts that have a motorcycle. Corny ass crap. Man, if a member of a club was to come in wearing that crap, he would get slapped in the back of the head.

hellraiser6662
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
How can you judge something on just a preview, and as everything we see I think a pinch of salt needs to taken, as we all know, how things can be taken to extreme by any film maker or journo look at all them crap tattoo program that the good old USA keep making. I think I'm going to see it just because I'm interested in it and what ever people say it's still apart of the history of tattooing just like all the videos we do of are selfs tattooing and all the photos. And if someone makes money out of it then good on them isnt that the American way? The American dream? Come and live in England for a while yes it's not as mentle patriotic and if you are good at any thing people love to put you down at the first fence and kick you in the teeth because you tried to better your self, you can't show things you got or proud of because people just will hate you for it. Oh the English way I love it.

tattood
04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I saw the preview. I don't agree with it. Portraits where done in concentration camps in attempt to keep from being put to death. Not just from some thugs in a west coast American prison. Thats holly wood for ya though. Trying to make everything about them to turn a buck. Don't get me wrong, the west coast def had it's own style, Swirls mixed with thug art, but to say they where the first at realism and bng? Horse shit. These shows and movies do a service as far as making tattoos more popular and socially acceptable. As for a tattoo artist to get all giddy about this crap is beyond me though. It's a BS rock star life and attitude. It's like people wearing SOA shirts that have a motorcycle. Corny ass crap. Man, if a member of a club was to come in wearing that crap, he would get slapped in the back of the head.

THats all find and dandy and i agree with alot of what u say, but these dudes at the top of the tattoo game are living like rock stars, im not and im sure your not either but they are, and these dudes that are in the movie have been in the tattoo world since way back so y not give em a little respect, I will never be in a movie about tattooing, but doesnt mean i need to criticize the ones that have and will in the future. go see it or not, who cares personal choice, its entertainment and a night out with the family nothing more...

slicksteel
04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Its all about the champagne bubbles homies!

tugg
04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I think I willhave to go and watch but may end up puking with the overdose of bullshit and brownnosing.

zack_fa1r
04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
What a DICK! I don't know if I would have gone back on Sunday.

Dude it was cool, he was told by the guys coming round to say when it was starting that
it was a 20 mins video and cos he was featured in the vid?????......that he needs to go watch it. So was their fault, I think.

back to subject though I still think it'll be an interesting watch.

flatline
04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
How can I judge by a preview? A preview is designed to not only give the film interest:; which is often over done, but also to project what it's all about... But anyway, I do agree with some of the advocate opinion here. The artist have been in the game for a while and have not only paid there dues, but have made everything possible that we have today. I just hate how these cats sign there life away to directors and have people like machete all in the mix, and Dave bung hora spouting off at the mouth. It's a sell out. Like I said though, it does evolve society which is a perk. Anybody ever in the NC area and into your tattoo history, stop off in Winston Salem and look up Chuck Eldridge. Has the largest museum in the US covering our crafts history. Oh, and sorry you are in England. LOl, just kiddin.

hellraiser6662
04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Yea when I do come to the USA, I would do such a thing if it was near where I was staying or even drive or fly to see it, personally I dont mind doing that because it's great to see such things and I might learn something. Just like Europe full of history and artwork you''ll never get to see unless you make the effort to come over and see it. Thats why I'm going to see tattoo nation if I see it I'll have my view and then it's justifiable. A preview is just that, it's not the whole film, so what if they have Danny trejo in it, it no different to Miami sink, L.A. Sink and N.Y. Sink, crap shit programs that do thing for tattooing apart from miss information. At least this is a documentary and yes it may have a little bullshit, and blowing there own trumpets but hay it's made in USA we dont expect nothing less hahaha. English sarcasm.

chris-in-cali
04-06-2013, 02:13 PM
im gonna wait until the chinese come out with a cheap knock off version...then i'll watch it

it will star a chinese danny trejillo...

serial1313
04-06-2013, 02:13 PM
im gonna wait until the chinese come out with a cheap knock off version...then i'll watch it Hahahahaha!

flatline
04-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Cheers to that hell raiser!The wife and I plan to go to France next spring for our 15th anniversary. Somewhere she has always wanted to go. I'm not to keen on French people, but I know I will enjoy going to the Museums and what not. Hell I have fun almost anywhere. LOL, Chris, your a damn trip! Good to see ya again. I remember you form the Trails.

hellraiser6662
04-07-2013, 09:33 AM
You know ive never been to France full of French people haha, Pragues nice great Mucha museum, and the modern art museum has some great paintings in it plus you can take pics of the paintings as well, if you are into Mucha you can see some of the slav epic which are massive paintings. Amsterdam got some nice museums not to keen on van Gogh and a great flower market, Barcelona is really nice great architecture everywhere and didnt go to see Dali museum, thats when we go back, loads of good tattooists if you want a little busman holiday as well. Palermo in Sicily is just the weirdest place off session, mafia country and dont you know it, there are some great churchs and statues plus the must goto see is the catacombs, there's nothing quite like it. If into that kind of stuff a good book called the 'empire of the dead' it shows all the catacombs in Europe. One good thing about Europe it's all so close to each other a day's drive or a quick flight but living in England a pain as we are a island, so it not as cheap to get into mainland Europe and little hassles with trains, planes and boats. So I would stay in mainland Europe get a hire car and have a good drive about, plus you are used to driving on the right hand side not like us driving on the left.

flatline
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Sounds cool We are def going to be doing more traveling. Now that we are catching up and life and paying off stuff like the house and what not, we can start those long trips. I've hit all over the states Bahamas, Mexico and checked out the pyramids in the jungles of Belize. Germany, Czech Republic, and Budapest are on my list. Will probably do Germany while in France if we have time.

Administrator
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM
There is a showing in Toronto this month. Looks like only two nights. I may go if anything just to see local tattooer friends that i don't get to see as often as i like to.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

hellraiser6662
05-07-2013, 05:53 AM
I saw it in Norwich Odeon, was a good film. well recommend it. Good to put names to faces.