PDA

View Full Version : Swashdrive Gen 5 and it's differences between the Gen 6....

Alec_Benjamin
03-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Hello all,

I am fortunate enough to have a Swashdrive Gen 5 on it's way to me and I was just wondering if anyone could inform me of the differences between the 5 and 6 Gens?
I personally prefer the look of the 5 as it's slightly larger, other than that, I know not of the technical differences between the two.
Any experiences with the Gen 5?
I'm eager to get to grips with it.

Thank's all for your time,

Alec.

slicksteel
03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I had a gen five and gangsta jay has it now-great machine for solid colorwork and tribal. It has a higher end regulated brushless motor in it.The motor run on the higher volt side and top out at 18 volts max ,i would run it from 11 to 16 volts. They have alot of torque but not speed so better for fills.You can get a realy good large painterly brush type fill with the gen 5 as also it has more weight on the top abar area once it gets going it can push very large mags, get a gen 6 for a liner/bng shader and you will have a nice combo.Gen 6 is lighter machine all around ,less torque motor and smaller top head that takes less time to get goin up to speed but also less power.

Alec_Benjamin
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
To be honest I tattoo bold, traditional work and like to use a lot of whip shading. I was hoping for a machine to create smooth put pronounced magnum marks when whipping out the shading. I could get a Gen 6 also I suppose.

slicksteel
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
yea i see what your saying but the gen 5 would be super for the large color fill areas that most traditional 5 color work has.

Alec_Benjamin
03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm actually trading it for one of my coil machines so I'm not losing out whether I like it or not. If I do I bet I'll end up getting a Gen 7 also later down the road haha.
Thanks for the advice.

Alec_Benjamin
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Another question, why do these run at such high Volts as opposed to other gens running in the 2-4v regions...just curious as I would assume running on lower volts would be better.

Administrator
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Running lower volts is not better, if you machine runs at about 2-3 volts you effectively have an on off switch. There are machines that are like this and great but not always what you are after especially if you want a very slow running machine. Low volts on a coil machine are good because its less likely to over heat or sound like a chainsaw.

Alec_Benjamin
03-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.
Sounds like the Gen 5 is gonna be a fine all rounder to me.
It'll be an interesting move form my Roy Richardson!

slicksteel
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
very true! actuall the gen five has a broad power range-the new gens run up to 12 volts.10 to 11.5 for lining.the the gen 3-4 ran at low 4-6volts, but like admin said not much to work with.

mike h
03-15-2011, 04:00 AM
the gen7 with the soft clip is a great machine for whipshading.

Alec_Benjamin
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm gonna see how I get on with the Gen 5 and who knows maybe I'll get a 7 in the future.