PDA

View Full Version : Swashdrive Gen 8 Review

Ty Bones
04-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Its comin up on a month since this baby came out and im yet to hear a review or see a video of it running.
Somebody has to own one of these! Let us all know what you think.

DiamondDave
04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Gen 8 overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLw3_LTCcWQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLw3_LTCcWQ)

Sage Oz
04-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Want. Bad.

No Iron Machines
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
i have GEN 7, AMAZING MACHINE, and i just waith they comeout with GEN 8, but i see the video, SOUND FUCKING RATTLE the machine.....

slicksteel
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
maybe just how the mic is picking it up.

tattood
04-06-2013, 05:22 PM
dude, this thing is so bad ass :)

MickWrath
04-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I have two and they shit on the gen 7's they are bigger an louder than other swashdrives but not bad and still light weight.

tattood
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
i dont think i have ever been that impressed with a machine just by watching a video review, once i get some funds built back up most definitly gettin one

slicksteel
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
They do look pretty bad ass and if mick say they run great -I am sure they do.

MickWrath
04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Slick...all my machines are taking a back seat to the Gen 8's since I got them. People have been trying to design that do everything machine?...yeah so far I haven't found anything the damn Gen 8 can't do and that's no bullshit. It's the most well rounded machine I've ever picked up.

slicksteel
04-07-2013, 12:53 AM
the one thing i have question about mick-is there two sliders one on each side that you click in to the same setting selection you want-wonder if you get unequal flex if there is only one on the side.

MickWrath
04-07-2013, 01:11 AM
naw homie there is only one adjustment slider, there's no need for two because one wont give you unequal flex because it affects the clips rigidity as a whole. especially with the linear delivery of the needle points. It doesn't cant the needle configurations give more on one side than the other, It performs in conjunction so the impact and delivery is equal. if the scale were lets say 500:1 then you may notice a slight delivery variability but with the transference of momentum ending through an ultimately linear delivery system the variability would be very minute.

DCtattoos07
04-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Technical as fuck with it ha

joelhague
04-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Mick have you tried the gen 8 with t tech how soft is the give compard to the whip

MickWrath
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I use the gen 8 with ttechs exclusively, the adjustability is as hard as a gen 6 with no give to softer than a whip with the softest clip. It has a very good span of adjustment capability.

elbo
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
I use the gen 8 with ttechs exclusively, the adjustability is as hard as a gen 6 with no give to softer than a whip with the softest clip. It has a very good span of adjustment capability.
Hmmm i will have to try a t tech set up with my gen 8....You using the cheyenne grip thats made for standard machine or t techs own grips?...Just wondered if any of them are the better of the two?...I got some t tech carts to use and like them a lot...The bugpin mags are awesome..

CajunDave
04-18-2013, 01:35 PM
hhmm this thread has definatly perked my interest in this machine.

joelhague
04-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Shit im sold what about the weights mick do you use either of those at all . The standard stroke with no weight os around 3.5 mm right ? But obviously the more volts or add a weight will give u more stroke . Did you take out the stay up spring to run your t tech or just use as is

joelhague
04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Mark i prefer the t tech grips i like to put my grips inside a machine bag and then insert the cartridge to push the bag inside the grip then i wrap with medical tape around the grip to keep it all in place and the med tape is the plastic type that gives a grip like texture on the outside . I found with my hawk grip the fit was too tight for the bag method and cart it worked but made pulling them in and out a hassle t tech grips work perfect for me and my bagging method

chris-in-cali
04-18-2013, 04:42 PM
yes....this is dead on....you can go one step further and add those disposable foam grips from true tube.
i did this because gripping on the hard stainless for 3-4 hours at a time is kinda shitty and the foam makes the tube into a 1.5 in which is where i like my grip for shading.

I ordered mine from unimax a week and a half ago and i'm still waiting and they cant give me an exact ship date, except within 2 weeks.
almost said fuck it and ordered it straight from swash but it's 70 bucks more that way.......sigh

Mark i prefer the t tech grips i like to put my grips inside a machine bag and then insert the cartridge to push the bag inside the grip then i wrap with medical tape around the grip to keep it all in place and the med tape is the plastic type that gives a grip like texture on the outside . I found with my hawk grip the fit was too tight for the bag method and cart it worked but made pulling them in and out a hassle t tech grips work perfect for me and my bagging method

Myjacobtattoo
04-18-2013, 07:01 PM
yes....this is dead on....you can go one step further and add those disposable foam grips from true tube.
i did this because gripping on the hard stainless for 3-4 hours at a time is kinda shitty and the foam makes the tube into a 1.5 in which is where i like my grip for shading.

I ordered mine from unimax a week and a half ago and i'm still waiting and they cant give me an exact ship date, except within 2 weeks.
almost said fuck it and ordered it straight from swash but it's 70 bucks more that way.......sigh

I just called them today and said they just got'em this week,I'm ordering mine tomorrow:)

MickWrath
04-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Ttech tubes all the way homie, I didn't have to remove any spring in the gen 8 for ttechs it's ready I go. 3.5 is stated stroke length for the gen 8 without the weights but allthough I would love to try them out I haven't gotten around to making an order for them yet. I will though. The gen 8 is just so smooth for color an black and grey. Not my first pick for packing but it's very capable set on no give and an extra volt or two. It's def worth every penny.

Samyo
04-26-2013, 08:39 PM
naw homie there is only one adjustment slider, there's no need for two because one wont give you unequal flex because it affects the clips rigidity as a whole. especially with the linear delivery of the needle points. It doesn't cant the needle configurations give more on one side than the other, It performs in conjunction so the impact and delivery is equal. if the scale were lets say 500:1 then you may notice a slight delivery variability but with the transference of momentum ending through an ultimately linear delivery system the variability would be very minute.

Mick I am thinking I will have to borrow this, this is a great explanation ... I will quote you though.:cool:

Samyo
04-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Shit im sold what about the weights mick do you use either of those at all . The standard stroke with no weight os around 3.5 mm right ? But obviously the more volts or add a weight will give u more stroke . Did you take out the stay up spring to run your t tech or just use as is

The weight set will lengthen the stroke the softer you have the setting. The idea with the weights is that they increase the reciprocating mass basically adding more punch to the forward motion .. basically it just gives you more options.

Tony (the R&D guy for Swashdrive) when he first go the weights on the Whip used it for a hand tattoo on a middle age lady with puffy skin, he was amazed at how much easier it made the process and now easy the ink went in.

In the end it is all about offering as much adjustment as possible as everyone is different in the way they tattoo.

Caleb's Addiction
04-27-2013, 10:16 AM
They will also make ink spit all over the fucking place! :(

Caleb's Addiction
04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
*with traditional tubes and needles, and on my whip, not used gen8

turnrock
04-27-2013, 02:07 PM
the Gen8 is a beast, love this thing but I'm finding a bunch of my tubes and some disposables too Long to use with it. I wish the vice was just a few mm closer to the armature or the vice clamp a tiny bit thinner.

Myjacobtattoo
04-30-2013, 08:10 AM
the Gen8 is a beast, love this thing but I'm finding a bunch of my tubes and some disposables too Long to use with it. I wish the vice was just a few mm closer to the armature or the vice clamp a tiny bit thinner.
Yeah i'm finding that to be a problem for me when i'm trying to use the needle tensioner so i just rubber band it,otherwise an awesome build, i plan on getting another..

joelhague
05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
How is the gen 8 with t tech tubes can u get out a full 4mm needle

joelhague
05-03-2013, 07:45 AM
And does the give work really well? Because this would be my reason for getting one can it run soft with t tech

MickWrath
05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
It runs stellar with ttech and you can get it to run soft as a baby chinchilla or as hard as Henry Rollins.

MickWrath
05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Mick I am thinking I will have to borrow this, this is a great explanation ... I will quote you though.:cool:

my pleasure Samyo ;-)

MickWrath
05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
I haven't got around to getting the weights yet, busy busy busy but I would definitely like to try them out.

chris-in-cali
05-04-2013, 03:36 PM
i am completley blown away by this machine...went from the hard setting, lining on some squishy ribs to the highest give setting for some smooth black and grey.

the give on this machine is unreal.....from super hard to really soft with just one quick adjustment.

i have used a gen 6 and a gen 7 and the gen 8 is by far the best i have used.

this machine really is a brilliant piece of engineering.....swashdrive knocked this one out of the park

joelhague
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Thats awesome to hear because the give usually sucks on alot of machines when you use t tech my whip is great with it so i figured as much with the gen 8

aftw
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
If you are running a critical power supply is that alright with the gen 8? I know they recommend a dual knob.

vodu
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
It runs stellar with ttech and you can get it to run soft as a baby chinchilla or as hard as Henry Rollins.
hahahahahhahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahaha

darkness
05-26-2013, 09:59 AM
the critical is good - i use my gen8 on a critical crx2 and works perfect !

aftw
05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
cool. thanks!

joelhague
05-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Got my gen 8 today it was close to 700 after conversion to canadian thru paypal etc and with the weights amd shipping luckily i was able to get there receptionist to mark it as a gift so i paid nothing at the door . Damn expensive machine but looks to work great with t tech so far cant wait to tattoo with it now

joelhague
05-28-2013, 05:34 AM
Using on a ems400 my only tiny frustration is the machine is quie big way bigger then i expected felt awkward with a big rca hanging off the back too ill be using clipcord for this one i think

joelhague
05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Voltage info for t tech users ?

crabink
07-14-2013, 11:21 PM
thread dead?

saint john
08-01-2013, 01:47 AM
had to order one of these yesterday after reading all these reviews. thanks everyone who posted. makes my shopping experience safer.

serial1313
08-01-2013, 05:22 AM
had to order one of these yesterday after reading all these reviews. thanks everyone who posted. makes my shopping experience safer. That is unfortunate, I have one for sale for $450 w/ free shipping in the US. It would have saved you more than $100.

saint john
08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
That is unfortunate, I have one for sale for $450 w/ free shipping in the US. It would have saved you more than $100.

I knew you had one for $450, but I got mine for $425; it would have been foolish for me to have purchased from you. besides, I wanted to purchase from someone I knew I could trust.

saint john
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
regarding the generation 8, I am having an odd issue. I buy premades from mithra and bicknee. the bars are 4&1/8" long. when I advance the tube up far enough for the tip of the needles to be slightly past the tube tip, by that time the top of the tube interferes with the needle tensioner being able to touch the needle bar. it hits the top of the tube instead. it runs fine with rubber bands, of course. I've only lined two tattoos as I just got it yesterday, but I love this machine. has anyone had this issue? thanks in advance.

Neo
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I knew you had one for $450, but I got mine for $425; it would have been foolish for me to have purchased from you. besides, I wanted to purchase from someone I knew I could trust.

serial13 is very trust worthy

serial1313
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I knew you had one for $450, but I got mine for $425; it would have been foolish for me to have purchased from you. besides, I wanted to purchase from someone I knew I could trust. "Someone you knew you could trust"? You should do a search of my name on here & see what impression you get from all the reviews that you read. I totally understand you choosing the one that cost less though.

biggietattoos
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I picked up a gen 8 a couple weeks ago on a trade. I was so eager to use it I ended up reworking a tattoo on my thigh using it with t-tech. I lined and shaded with it straight out the box it's one of the best rotary liners I've used. I've been lining with it pushing 7 rounds, super 8 liners, and tight 5s. Its consistent on all areas from ribs/love handles, to backs, etc. I'd recommend it to anyone.

chris-in-cali
08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
if anyone is looking for a gen 8....i have one for sale....maybe 20 hours on the motor....basically brand new and will come with the weight set.

405 shipped in the u.s.

@Chipsterology
08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
if anyone is looking for a gen 8....i have one for sale....maybe 20 hours on the motor....basically brand new and will come with the weight set.

405 shipped in the u.s.
Check your PM

chris-in-cali
08-10-2013, 03:14 PM
i pm'ed you back bro

(Opted Out)
08-24-2013, 06:06 PM
So what volts& give setting are people using for lining woth the gen8??... Im sure i have all my black & grey covered with the whip & halo, colour saturation -gen7 and smooth colour blends halo&whip, fineline rotaryworks, so guess 7rl 8rl 9rl all belong to the gen8 that will hopefully be with me this coming week..

(Opted Out)
08-25-2013, 08:58 AM
No one?.. Lol

cagelavey
08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
hey guys, I have a gen 8 and I like it a lot, but I hear so much about halos on here and I have an opportunity for a trade. just need honest opinion's on which is a more solid machine. like some give when I line. essentially that is what I use my gen 8 for, use vivace for color and b&g. any help would be great, also I like a little quieter machine. thanks

cagelavey
08-25-2013, 11:23 AM
sorry wasn't trying to change topic in here, new. figured out how to post thread so did, sorry and thanks,peace

darkness
08-25-2013, 01:09 PM
i like the gen8 more and more ... its lines like a coil with easy and better as my beast thats works best for blending and color .... Lining with gen8 with small weight and around 7 to 8,5v for bigger needles.

cagelavey
08-25-2013, 02:28 PM
thanks for the info, darkness

cagelavey
08-25-2013, 02:29 PM
gaston, I pm'd you

Jaytrials
09-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Small modifications made and it an amazing little liner

darkness
09-08-2013, 08:15 PM
you should look here http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/9599-Current-Collection/page2

Jaytrials (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/member.php/4923-Jaytrials) post a good help for this issue :)

saint john
09-22-2013, 01:42 AM
I wrote to swashdrive regarding the issue of the needle tensioner not clearing the top of the tubes. here are the answers I got:

answer #1

Tony Oliver
"Hello John, The adjustable tubes will need to be shortened a little and any of the disposables need to be cut shorter.
what is the short fall?
I use the T-Tech disposable grips and tips so I only have to have one machine set up for shading and coloring and find all my stainless tubes and standard needles fit."

I don't know what he meant by an "adjustable tube" anyone else? I was also puzzled by the "what is the shortfall?" question. the shortfall is obviously that a lot of American and Chinese disposables don't fit.

answer #2

Tony Oliver 11:24pm Sep 20
We will have a longer needle bar tensioner very soon which will resolve this issue. There will be no cost and you will be able to use the existing one on any of our machines right back to the gen 4

answer #3 from Tania jane
Tania Jane
"I have spoke with Tony and he has said that it was made for disposable tubes that we have here in australia and they were the industry standard but the variation in actual length of needle bars and tubes is huge so if you can send me your address we are making something that will fix this and we will send you one out as soon as we have it."

sinister72
09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Slick...all my machines are taking a back seat to the Gen 8's since I got them. People have been trying to design that do everything machine?...yeah so far I haven't found anything the damn Gen 8 can't do and that's no bullshit. It's the most well rounded machine I've ever picked up.

that's good to hear Mick I will be having mine delivered tomorrow cant wait ,the thing that caught my eye with this machine is the coil dial for 10 different stroke actions correct if i am wrong cant wait to try this beast out will post again in a week later!!!

joelhague
09-27-2013, 03:48 PM
it really pisses me off when i drop 550 bucks on a machine and i have to get replacement parts right away.... its happend to me on more then one rotary from more then one company. for fuck sakes make sure ur shit is made correctly before releasing it to save you and your customers headaches.. some builders have lost my gbusiness forever over this and rightfully so. when you drop that kinda coin on something it should be flawless... especially when mass produced ....

joelhague
09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
i read that comment from mick and its what made me buy a gen 8 in the first place,.... i wish i had never read it., because i really hated mine and sold it at a loss just to try and get some of my money back haha

cagelavey
09-27-2013, 03:55 PM
that sucks, I love it what did you not like about it? and did you have the weights? I think it is amazing!

joelhague
09-27-2013, 04:27 PM
i thought it was amazing at first too , well despite the fact the wire to the rca was broken upon arrival and swashes answer to me was buy a soldering iron, so i can homemade repair my new 550 dollar machine.... anyways fixed that, wasnt impressed with the size.. it sounds like a coil on higher volts. i also had customers complaining about slow heals and lines falling out. all of witch i havent had a problem with in years.... touched up the bad heals with my mc2 plus some new very solid color areas and got calls saying wow fastest heal ever.. i guess my main problems were the size the noise the lack of customer support. and then ontop of it getting the bad heals. it just got too many options for me id say. when u can load up a no give machine and just plug and play thats quieter smaller and that isnt givin u bad feedback from the customers. just had no place in my drawer..... not saying it isnt a great machine im sure it works awesome for some people. lots actually. i would just still buy a whip over another gen 8 anyday i expected too much i guess and was let down...

cagelavey
09-28-2013, 12:32 AM
that does suck. I mainly use for lining, but I guess that's why there are so many dif machines, lol.

joelhague
09-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I think a no give 3.8 stroke rotary does it all and really u dont need anything else the settings to me seem more of a headache there is already so many variables in tattooing and so many different ways to achieve one result and by having more options i was actually limiting my own growth as an artist. I think franco put it best when he told me a no give machine becomes like autopilot like driving your car ur thinking of 50 other things while u do it yet u still dont crash thats how i like my tattooing now. automatic

cagelavey
09-28-2013, 03:51 PM
yeah, I get that. that's why I love my vivace, runs the same everytime I use it. so I get it. I think that in the long run, if I were to see into the future, lol. id probably end up with a set up something similar to that of no give or little give. like I said I use my gen 8 for lining so its set up essentially the same everytime I use it, so I agree with what youre saying. I like my machines to run the same every time I use em also. like franco said its like muscle memory if your machine runs the same everytime you use it it becomes reflex. I really want to try the micro bishop with the built in non adjustable give, for lining. like I said if I could see the future it will probably be a neo vivace, halo, and a micro bishop w/built in give(depending on how much I end up liking it, which im sure I will, lol) as daily runners. but for now I really dig the way I got my gen 8 set up.

slicksteel
09-28-2013, 03:54 PM
that sucks, I love it what did you not like about it? and did you have the weights? I think it is amazing!I love my two gen 8. These machines can do anything.

cagelavey
09-28-2013, 04:10 PM
i do like my gen 8 a lot, ill pry experiment a lil more with it in the future and venture off from lining a lil, just to see where else i like it set at, for shading, coloring, etc. i do agree it can be easy to get lost in all the different settings you can muster with volts, weights x2, and different clip settings. so im sure itll be a long process of experimentation to find those sweet spots but at this point i cant see me not liking it more. i just feel its no different than setting up the different coil liners, shaders, and color machines, except you get to use only one machine to do it all. cause just like with no give rotaries you can train your muscle memory with an infinitely adjustable machine also, because once you find those different sweet spots, they will become those "same sweet spots, lol. i just know what ever daily drivers i choose in the future ill never let my gen 8 go. the only gripe i do really have is the sound, and i can live with that.

slicksteel
09-29-2013, 12:41 AM
yea i hate loud roto-but the gen8 just sounds powerful to me,not that sick grating sound like some roto do. Def. alot lower in volume then any coil.

sinister72
10-05-2013, 10:50 PM
yea i hate loud roto-but the gen8 just sounds powerful to me,not that sick grating sound like some roto do. Def. alot lower in volume then any coil.
i agree and lining is nice and easy with this machine i set the dial about 3-4 notch at 11 volts and bang it in and it is a little louder compared to the hyper V3 but i find irt helps when tuning like a coil i always look for that sound when i know its going to penetrate a good solid line

slicksteel
10-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Have you tried it with the small weight at 9-9.5v and 2-3 clicks back from hard-feels just like a coil liner.

darkness
10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
i use my with this settings for the most thinks or use the heavy weight and 8 to 8.5v ...2 clicks back from hartest setting

mattmillerink
11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
I been using this machine in my rotation and I really like it. I didn't expect it to line like it does.

The only thing is its way louder and the give isn't as forgiving as the whip when set to max give setting. But performs great nonetheless.

darkness
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
hat now the same issue with my gen8 ... clients come back and tell my the tattoo heal more slowly and bad ! Lines falling out ... that is the first times in my experience. Now i overwork with my Wayne Taylor and get a great feedback from clients.
I think the gen8 has to much settings and options to try and knowing.

mattmillerink
11-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I for whatever idiot reason dropped mine the other day and was like "Nooooooooooooooo!"

Turns out the bumper in the back dislodged while rolling around in my case when I went to a convention, causing the plastic to bump on plastic making it sound like clippers. Now it's back in the original position and runs better than ever. Whew.

serial1313
11-24-2013, 04:44 PM
I had the same problem as darkness had with my Gen8. Matt that it just pure luck. Hahaha !

darkness
11-25-2013, 09:13 AM
first i was happy with the gen8 and all looks so great but after a while and the clients come back i was shocked ! Thats bad for business - i think with the gen8 i would need a lot of experience and tast with the gen8 and this is not my way .
I need a machine thats works for me without a large learning curve

mattmillerink
11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
How much experience you got with rotaries? Are you using mostly color or Grey or lining? I know Nick wrath was an avid swash user buy I think he went MIA on his new shop and baby but he'd know what's up

darkness
11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
i work most with dd or hard hitting machines and since 3 years with rotarys .... most b&g and portrait work - for my the whip works better

mattmillerink
11-27-2013, 12:40 AM
I used it yesterday on myself, looks good nice and smooth. Gonna find out the hard way what's going on.

darkness
11-28-2013, 05:31 PM
yes ...first its looks nice and perfect but when it heals ... not on all skins but i hate clients with some problems.

mattmillerink
11-28-2013, 06:24 PM
So far healing smoothly. Will post some pics before and after. You should too so we can get an idea?

darkness
11-28-2013, 07:35 PM
yes - your looks great. I have noticed thats a question on skin - i think its try and sloppy skin thats dont work nice. I have clients with good results with the gen8

mattmillerink
11-28-2013, 07:59 PM
It's a redo so I didn't darken the already black black

darkness
01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
now i try the new gen8 cutback and hope its runs better for me :)

Panos tattoo
05-14-2014, 02:21 AM
volts for gen 8 from any of you guys?