PDA

View Full Version : want to buy a new rotary..spektra or primus??

megas
04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
hi!!i've been using the dragonfly the last months but now im looking for a new machine for shading..i want it to be really soft to do smooth shading and blends...im between the spektra and the primus for sunskin...im also thinking of buying a sunskin coil machine instead of a rotary...any suggestions??

skinmech
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I need to ask...Have you ever used a Sunskin Coil Machine, and, if so, a Liner or a Colour Machine..P.

megas
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
i have used both liner and shader and they are the best coil machines i've ever used

Fergus
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
i had a few sunskins bought from new over the years,,,,masive big throw on them and quite nice to use,,,heavy as fuck on the wrist though!

megas
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
soooo!!!what should i get??a new rotary or a sunskin shader?now i only have a liner from sunskin

Bishopbyname
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
sorry but this is a pretty pointless thread. How from others opinions can you ask; this machine or that. You could buy 10 before you find a machine that suits you. Buy and try is the only way.

I can understand wanting to know peoples opinions on machines (that's what most of this forum is) but helping you decide on a seemingly random 2 or 3 machines is a bit like asking people what's their favourite breakfast out of 2 when you haven't tried either yourself.

Sorry just seems a strange way to research a new machine?

Wonderland
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
get both!

megas
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
im asking for a softer shader.so the question is what machine do u think is the smoothest?

tattood
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Hands down, the smoothest machine of all time in my humble opinion is .................................................. .................................................. .........

^^^^cliffhanger^^^^

Bishopbyname
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
soft shading is down to the artist. A lot of artists do super soft shading with direct drive machines which have 0 give.

megas
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
is........................??????????

megas
04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
im usualy doing a very light graywash to open the skins pores(dont know if thats how its called) and then build darker tones..the result is very smooth but id like to have a machine coil like hitting.really soft

Bishopbyname
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I've heard the Hyper V3 hits super soft or have i just confused things more?

skinmech
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I agree with Bishop on this...The choice is yours...and Sunskin ain't the Best Coil Machines out there, maybe the best you have used, so just like picking a Rotary Machine it all comes down to experience...As you have limited experience, anything that is suggested to you could be futile, and pointless...Just go for the Spektra, with all available Cams/Motorbolts...It might not suit you, but will be easier to trade/sell than the Primus..

tattood
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
i dont have near as much experience as most on here, but i think alot could be said if an artist with little experience is able to get a smooth shade. then for an artist with alot of experience it wood be that much easier.. Id agree with the DD with no give . doesnt even seem to make since because there is not give but damn DD's seem to shade super smooth. I love aluminum RW springer with the slightest amount of give set.. and i hear the ID is doing the job well to .. but like bishbyname said its down to the artists but the right machine for the artist makes it much easier. I went through I'd say 15 rotaries before i found my go to shader.. :)

skinmech
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Try a Rotaryworks ID....

tattood
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I agree with Bishop on this...The choice is yours...and Sunskin ain't the Best Coil Machines out there, maybe the best you have used, so just like picking a Rotary Machine it all comes down to experience...As you have limited experience, anything that is suggested to you could be futile, and pointless...Just go for the Spektra, with all available Cams/Motorbolts...It might not suit you, but will be easier to trade/sell than the Primus..

that is great point, get machines that are super easy to trade if it comes to that, the top ones i have noticed that always trade quick style are the hyper v3, mini cranker, neotat vivace, halo, and if an Impact or Hm adjustable ever came up....

megas
04-03-2013, 05:33 PM
i've used also a stigma hyper v3.the dragonfly seems beter to me than the stigma...the smoothest rotary i've used was a dragonfly knock off we had bought from ebay..we used it 2 times before making it into pieces...

Mozzer337
04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
After playing around with coils, and some 'give' rotaries, ive finally settled on using a Dan Kubin DD for greywash. It would have been the last type of machine I would have tried as ive always been under the illusion that to do soft grey shades you need a soft hitting machine, but I find the no give direct drive so much better. Theres more consistency with this method for me. If you want the pigment in, it goes in!!

Give was always a chore to get it in there for me, so consequently i'd be pushing to get penetration which would result in choppy uneven shades. Im the first to admit, my b and g is not my strongest point but I do believe it has improved and I feel a lot more confident with a machine that I control as opposed to one that is relying on a spring??

megas
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
when i do black and grey with the dragonfly i unscrew the give system.i dont want it tighthened almost at all.this makes it like no give??

(Opted Out)
04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Spektra and sunskin are about £400 (not saying thats too much for quality equipment ... its not) But in my opinion buy an old timer ddo AND a rotaryworks id machine and you will still have about £120 left over... To put towards a spektra if u dont like the other 2.... And im sure theres plenty of people on here that would relieve you of your i.d or old timer on the classifieds

tattood
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
After playing around with coils, and some 'give' rotaries, ive finally settled on using a Dan Kubin DD for greywash. It would have been the last type of machine I would have tried as ive always been under the illusion that to do soft grey shades you need a soft hitting machine, but I find the no give direct drive so much better. Theres more consistency with this method for me. If you want the pigment in, it goes in!!

Give was always a chore to get it in there for me, so consequently i'd be pushing to get penetration which would result in choppy uneven shades. Im the first to admit, my b and g is not my strongest point but I do believe it has improved and I feel a lot more confident with a machine that I control as opposed to one that is relying on a spring??

well said man ^^^ i have been theorizing on why DD can shade so smooth and perhaps the fact that its one smooth constant motion with no resistance ?

Bishopbyname
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
well said man ^^^ i have been theorizing on why DD can shade so smooth and perhaps the fact that its one smooth constant motion with no resistance ?

Pretty much what a Hawk is too.

skinmech
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Get an ID and one of these,,,problem solved... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMN9KlzCpcE but, then again, I am pretty biased,LOL

Fergus
04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
regardless of the machine lets not forget the importance of needle selection and depth with regard to soft shades. im with chewbacca on everything he says cos hes han solos main muddafukka. an 18 round shallow gives good grey with high enough volts,,,,sometimes though I feel like this guy,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-HHuZNnFc

(Opted Out)
04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Get an ID and one of these,,,problem solved... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMN9KlzCpcE but, then again, I am pretty biased,LOL

Exactly wht i said dude... Id machine & old timer... = awesome

skinmech
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
regardless of the machine lets not forget the importance of needle selection and depth with regard to soft shades. im with chewbacca on everything he says cos hes han solos main muddafukka. an 18 round shallow gives good grey with high enough volts,,,,sometimes though I feel like this guy,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-HHuZNnFc

LOLOLOLOL,,,Fukn A++++++++...I remember this, but had to watch it again,,,,,made my night.P

Fergus
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
ha ha i think this everytime i start a big google inspired tribal!!!!!

skinmech
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
LOL..

Sage Oz
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Hahaha what was that color again?!?

slicksteel
04-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Paul I love your accent!, can I borrow it for a awhile!!!:p

Ta2GeezerUK
04-04-2013, 02:20 AM
that is great point, get machines that are super easy to trade if it comes to that, the top ones i have noticed that always trade quick style are the hyper v3, mini cranker, neotat vivace, halo, and if an Impact or Hm adjustable ever came up....

Hey Man, what...No 'Rotar'......Where's Ritchie, hahaha.

vodu
04-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Hyper v3 or spektra halo...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hellraiser6662
04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Ive got both, and I use my primus with t-tech set up normaly with a 10/11 mag and I love it so much so that the halo doesnt get a look in these days.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

mrbudgie
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Borg shaders or ego with black bottom and yellow top triangles

clint morrison
04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I had a Primus. It was an awesome machine and did great black and gray but it doesn't hit soft at all. It's pretty much no give. Spektra is awesome as well and does go a bit softer but still hits pretty hard. I have heard that it can hit softer now though and they work in after a while as well. The Hyper V3 hits super soft. The whip is also one that can hit really soft.

crabink
04-15-2013, 01:19 AM
If your looking for a great coil soft shader.. try workhorseirons .. the cory rodgers shader. http://www.workhorseirons.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=2CORSHAD -- out of stock ATM -- call em
its very versitile... best machine i ever used for blending and black and grey

or the workhorse irons the Soba race horse bng shader. http://www.workhorseirons.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=3SOBGRH -- in stock
A great machine for black n grey, and if you open it a little a superb color blender

megas
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
for a shader i switched back to coils..using sunskins again..and i dont think ill go back to rotaries again..i now want to sell my dragonfly.a guy we work together got a spekra.i used it and i really liked it.its nice and smooth but still coils feel better for black and gray for me...i want to get the primus now to use it for coloring and dotwork