PDA

View Full Version : what machine

Panos tattoo
04-09-2013, 08:07 AM
hi everyone,

im a tattoo artist for almost 10 years and the last months i purchased 3 rots to try.the thing is i dont have a clue about rotarys and i think i made wrong choices about them because of that.in my research i ve noticed that all brands claim that they are all in one.lining shading and colorpacking.i dont think so.mine are the swissmade wich has a maxon motor if i remember well 8000rpm and manual says 5-7 volts for lining shading and colorpacking.(doesnt work in my hands with those speeds for neither of its uses.more like 9-11v but im afraid if i break it so its in the drawer sitting)the other one is swallow by lauro paolini again maxon motor 11000rpm,wich i found better from my coils for color packing,and the first one i bought is a whip swashdrive that i bought cheap( because it was used for display) for 200 gbp that turned out a knock off according to the manufacturer.(small details on frame that it was impossible to know).i also tried a friends dragonfly witch again is all in one but i found it good only for shading.lining and cp with any adjustment is very poor.
So the help i need is a) how can i tell or choose a machine if its a (or good for ) liner shader or cp and b)any advice for the ones i have?especially swallow.

for coils i have a lot of knowlage,and i know what to look or ask for.please explain or give me sides to study that can help me answer my questions.please dont just throw a few brands and say this is for this this is for that go and try those because it will not help.its like saying this is an F16 one of the top choises ,go fly it!!!!i will crush because i dont know its functions and REAL abilities, not just marketing talk on a paper.
Manufacturers dont get insult and hit me with stuff like my machine does it all.yes it may does but then again i can make a line with an aaron caine shader,but will it make the same job as an aaron c. liner?no it wont,and by all means this is not my intention.
i thank everyone in advance and i congratulate the ones responsible for this forum.

OwlsDen
04-09-2013, 09:53 AM
The Swiss is a great machine. I understand about lining with it though. I have lined with one. I have found that it was only suited for 3-5rl needles. A good skin stretch matters a lot more for rotaries with no give than coils in my opinion.

Everyone seems to say that Dan Kubin makes the best rotary liner. However I have not yet had the pleasure.

I use a Rapier II for lining. It just suits me so well, it's hard for me to try other machines. The ones I have use two different motors. One lines 6-7 volts and the other lines at 8-9 volts. But they both do the job. Disclaimer I have 4 ( two if each motor ) and I really do use mine for everything. So far this is the most balanced and versatile machine I have ever used. I keep all at medium to long stroke.

serial1313
04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Your questions are a great deal of what this forum is all about. If you do a search for certain machines in the top right of the page you can find information on every machine there is. The best thing to do is read as much as you can & then try a couple @ a time. I have a guy I work w/ that lines w/ a Swiss rotary all day. Also from what I have read on here, the Dragonfly is good @ black & grey & not much else be cause it has a low powered motor.

skinmech
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Before suggesting any Machines, we would need to know how you run your Coil Machines...Long throw, soft or hard hit, fast or slower hand speed, do you like to hang your needle, or do you ride the tube tip, do you prefer a heavy or light Coil Machine...You have not asked anything that hasn't been asked before,but, more details from you would help.P.

slicksteel
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
basicly you answered some of your own questions-a faster motor is going to be better for line, a meduim rpm one witha but less torque good for bng and color blending and a slower high torque one better for color packing/ heavy line work.
In rotary you really dont need as much give as a coil.
shortor stroke machines with no give work well for bng and 1-3 liners ,5-11mags.
med stroke machines with slight give work great for 4-7 liners and 7-23 mag
long stroke machnes with a bit more give work great for 8-18 liners & 9-39 mag
this is just some general enfo to get you going and is not set in stone.
also a machine with a bit more weight is going to work better with large groupings.

serial1313
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but this same question was asked a couple of weeks ago & it just seems that is it people that are new to this forum not wanting to read & do their homework on this forum. Just about every answer you could ask is answered on this forum, you just have to read it. I guess it might be do to them not knowing that there is an insane amount of information on this forum. Search, Read & then ask questions if you still have any. Like I said I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that reading is what kinda get's you up to par on this forum. Educating yourself.

Panos tattoo
04-10-2013, 08:09 AM
i thank everyone for your time and info.thank you slicksteel for sharing your knowledge giving a direct answer.
serial1313, i search i read i study not just this forum but also manufacturers info on a machine and when i cant answer my questions then i ask from other artists if they want and can share some of their knowledge.i also asked for sharing webpages that i can STUDY to answer my questions.i think this shows that im not a person who waits for food in a plate.so even if you didnt want to sound like a dick ,you behaved as one because you gave an answer (actually 2 answers) to a question you didnt even read to comprehend.
again i thank ALL of you for responding.

serial1313
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
i thank everyone for your time and info.thank you slicksteel for sharing your knowledge giving a direct answer.
serial1313, i search i read i study not just this forum but also manufacturers info on a machine and when i cant answer my questions then i ask from other artists if they want and can share some of their knowledge.i also asked for sharing webpages that i can STUDY to answer my questions.i think this shows that im not a person who waits for food in a plate.so even if you didnt want to sound like a dick ,you behaved as one because you gave an answer (actually 2 answers) to a question you didnt even read to comprehend.
again i thank ALL of you for responding. Here I'll try again. Try some Rotaryworks machines. They are all great machines @ an unbeatable price. Next time I respond to one of your posts or threads I'll make sure to be real sweet to you. Sorry I hurt your feelings.
Oh & for any body else that doesn't "like" my opinion let me know so we can talk about it. You will find in life that most times that you have a problem w/ somebody, it is really just a failure to communicate. I meant no harm w/ my previous post & I stated that by saying that I wasn't trying to be a dick. Have a great day tattooing!

throwhammers
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
You can run your swiss at 9-11 volts, don't worry. I run mine around 10.5 and owlsden is right, best with 3 and 5 liners, maybe an open 7, but great for packing color and nice for b&g.
If you like the swallow check out nicks machines, or an h&m.
I think the inkjecta specific is about as close to a coil as any rotary I have tried, it may be a good one to try.
Whatever you choose give it a little time and figure out how to work with it. A few extra hours with a rotary can be the difference between hating it and loving it.

Sent from my PadFone 2 using Tapatalk 2

Panos tattoo
04-11-2013, 03:48 AM
my friend im not cotton made so dont worry my feelings are not hurt..in the rotary world,yes i am the small fish.But i didnt come from no where.i am also a tattoo artist using different tools. i do know that in the world of tattoo you give an arm and a leg for any info and joining a group with people who are willing to help and share knowledge is a privilege.I was just making a point to you with my respond that i do know the rules and i respect them.I never said that i dont need your opinion in art.i was making clear that i dont beg for food in a silver plate.english is not my native language and i apologize if i sound hostile or ironic.I do understand though when someone is trying to mark me.as you said conversation solves misunderstandings and i hope this one is solved.

Panos tattoo
04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
thank you for the advice.i dont know if swallow is a top rotary and i cant have an opinion because im new in rots but i gave it a shot as you said with no worries on damaging the motor since its also a maxon , the same as my swiss but with more rpm and i was shocked how it was lining with a 15L.i finished outlining a japanese half-sleeve phoenix taking me the same time as if i was doing it with coils BUT with less noise,vibrating,and wrist ache.!!!!it gave me a big smile and i said to my self thats why these dudes work with rotaries.Also with the swiss i did a small b&g tattoo to try it and i found out that the way to do it since it has no give is to play with needle depth at 10v.not thrilled yet but thats the lack of experience on the particular machine.I ve red the best for this machine in the forum and generally in other pages and it gave me an impression that i own a pioneer of rotaries.so more time and practice will make me put my coils in the back of a drawer.i cant wait to try more machines and types of rotaries.(damn i feel like its Christmas and i opened a new toy!!!)

serial1313
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
my friend im not cotton made so dont worry my feelings are not hurt..in the rotary world,yes i am the small fish.But i didnt come from no where.i am also a tattoo artist using different tools. i do know that in the world of tattoo you give an arm and a leg for any info and joining a group with people who are willing to help and share knowledge is a privilege.I was just making a point to you with my respond that i do know the rules and i respect them.I never said that i dont need your opinion in art.i was making clear that i dont beg for food in a silver plate.english is not my native language and i apologize if i sound hostile or ironic.I do understand though when someone is trying to mark me.as you said conversation solves misunderstandings and i hope this one is solved.Yeah, it's solved, & I wouldn't worry about your english if I were you, it reads perfectly. We will work out just fine. Have a great day man.