PDA

View Full Version : Coils are creepings back in.

Mozzer337
05-15-2013, 04:03 AM
The cranker is used constantly, but coils are making a comeback. Bit like Iron Maiden, you forget just how great they were!!

Top left, to bottom right. Dan Kubin Direct Drive, Dan Kubin MC-13, Uncle Roy Direct Drive, Workhorse Irons Ciferri Jensen Shader (Tarted up), Workhorse Irons Ciferri Classic Liner (Same as shader, bit of spit and polish!), And a Seth Ciferri Custom Liner.

skinmech
05-15-2013, 04:22 AM
I appreciate the options this kind of set-up provides, I have ALWAYS said, there is a place for Rotaries and Coils side by side on any ones Top Shelf......IMHO, If someone can't set aside a 12 MOS+ to understand how a Coil Machine Runs, and to be able to Rip/Strip and Retune to suit, they don't know how much they are missing out on...:D

Mozzer337
05-15-2013, 04:41 AM
I appreciate the options this kind of set-up provides, I have ALWAYS said, there is a place for Rotaries and Coils side by side on any ones Top Shelf......IMHO, If someone can't set aside a 12 MOS+ to understand how a Coil Machine Runs, and to be able to Rip/Strip and Retune to suit, they don't know how much they are missing out on...:D

Well said mate. Totally agree, and I know a lot of people are obsessed with a machine thats almost silent, but you cant beat a nice consistent buzz of a coil. And IMO they are hands down easier to line with than a rotary.

acink
05-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Hear you there mate im down to 2 rotarys now and my coil collection is growing every week

(Opted Out)
05-15-2013, 07:08 AM
I dont own a single coil, but i am constantly tempted by an fk irons pyro cutback and a zen grey shader..

skinmech
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
I fuk about with Coils all the time, most of my tuning can be seen here.... Just follow the other links.. I agree, the sound is hard to beat,LOL... This one is now acinks... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qGQTig2S9rk

It is now set as a "cutback" shader, 2mm+ stroke, runs fast, so perfect for B&G..

biggietattoos
05-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Coils line better period. There is no comparison, I've found that the best lining rotaries I've used pale in comparison to even a mediocre coil liner. Rotaries are amazing for shading, color blending, solid fill, and all that stuff but they haven't caught up on the outlining and I'm not sure they ever will

Mozzer337
05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I fuk about with Coils all the time, most of my tuning can be seen here.... Just follow the other links.. I agree, the sound is hard to beat,LOL... This one is now acinks... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qGQTig2S9rk

It is now set as a "cutback" shader, 2mm+ stroke, runs fast, so perfect for B&G..

Just had a quick nosey at your youtube vids Paul. Recognise a couple of my ex's there ;-)

skinmech
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Just had a quick nosey at your youtube vids Paul. Recognise a couple of my ex's there ;-)

Yep, never lasted long, never "worked" for me either.....

casey
05-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Aye defiantly room for both coil and rotary on my table, love the feedback the noise of a top tuned coil gives you and also love the waspish noise the needles make whilst grey shading with a quiet rotary

joelhague
05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
i had a girl tell me the coil hurt less on her ribs the other day she preffered the coil she said it tickled where the rotary was no fun

GregM
05-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I totally agree,I was using strictly rotaries for over a year and then used my co-workers FK Irons AL-13 machines for about a week and fell in love with them..I sold off most of my rotaries and bought 3 brand new FK's..I originally went to rotaries because I didnt like the weight of most coils,but with the FK's I have the weight of a rotary and performance being a coil..i've owned Bishops,Dragonfly,Vivace,Dan Kubins,Stigma all are amazing machines and I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them,but a high quality coil has a way wider performance range..I still love rotaries what they are all about but for right now im happier with my light weight coils..

rotaryworks
06-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I think you should use both it's a good thing I live rotarys alway have but to use a coil is so nice the feel the sound I been using mine now and then I find its easier to use a coil for some reson but my hands are used to light rotarys so a full day on the coil is hard on the hand but such a nice feel so different in so many ways but you can do almost the same with both coil and rotary ..I use my puls liner now and then it's amazing but feels like a let weight in my hand .. Dame you rotary you made me soft ... Lol

slicksteel
06-08-2013, 08:35 PM
i had a girl tell me the coil hurt less on her ribs the other day she preffered the coil she said it tickled where the rotary was no fun
thats why back in the day they used to call them grinders!! lol

fkirons
06-08-2013, 10:20 PM
And I started a thread about it today. Good thing you are going back!

Tkocevar1
06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
My top drawer consists of 2 micky sharpz. A micro dial and a paul Rogers and a hawk spirit. I got rid of everything else I had streamlined hah

nivek
06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Used my Seth liner - forgot how much i LOVE that machine - and how heavy it is in realation. My BG Rosal is still a staple

jesoner79
06-09-2013, 01:34 AM
to me it seems as if all coil machines are short strokes now i cant use em any more i tried it sucks

JoeyJimz
06-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Nothing like a perfectly tuned coil machine...